Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA
Videocards - NVIDIA This forum is all about NVIDIA graphics cards and their technology. Do you have a question regarding an older GeForce videocard? Want to tell people how stylish a game works on that new shiny watercooled GeForce GTX 580 or SLI gaming rig? Get in here!

GTX 580 issues
Old
  (#1)
Gene5is

Videocard: GTX 580 SLI
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770k
Mainboard: Maximus VI Formula
Memory: 16Gb Dominator Platinum
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default GTX 580 issues - 11-08-2013, 22:56 | posts: 9 | Location: As. - Py.

Hi guys, first of all im sort-of new posting here, but have been reading this forum for a loooooooong time already and i gotta tell you its the best out there hands down...

I have nowhere else to ask since i pretty much googled my problem for even more than a month already and found no answer.. Also im a pretty "old-school" builder(so to say hehe) and i couldnt fix the problem myself(which i find pretty embarrassing if you ask me) and.. well here i am and this is my last resort...

I posted this in the "Videocards - NVIDIA" subforum because this is a videocard related issue and i didnt know where else to post..

The problem: Im having the most utterly annoying random restarts/shutdowns(NO BSODS or anything like that, just PLAIN restarts/shutdowns) EVER... sometimes it happens like 5 times in a day, and sometimes it doesnt restart in uhm, a week or even more.. i cant even begin to tell you how annoying this is...

This is what i did to try to fix the problem:

1) First i thought it was my PSU and it was faulty(which was kinda weird because i had a corsair AX 1200).. So i took my videocards to my friends house, and put them on his build(corsair AX1200, same mobo/processor) as mine and voila! it worked.. so i ordered a new AX1200..

Bad luck, because once i put the new PSU in place and started the computer, everything worked well for like a week or so and then guess what?.. restarts/shutdowns started to happen again..

2) After this i bought a PSU tester and tested both PSUs and both where working pretty solid so i sold one for a pretty good price... so PSU is not an issue.

3)Overheating also wasnt the problem because i was constantly watching my temperatures(have both cards and processor WC'd)

4)I thought my motherboard was shorting so i tried it outside my case and it was working fine, i also had all the screws and stuff well placed.. anyways, i sold that one and bought a new one.. Restarts/shutdowns still happened...(Note: i also bought a new processor and ram which made no difference)

5)I also checked the power/restart button/cable from the case and they were firmly placed(idk if there is another way to check/test them?)

6)After having the most freaking annoying time of my life, i had one last shutdown which made me open my case and here's the funny part.. what i did was PRESS the cards strongly against the motherboard and it LOLstarted.. now everytime it shuts down, i have to press the cards against the motherboard for it to start.. i got so mad and i sold all my stuff EXCEPT my videocards(cause i spent 1k on them a couple years ago) and bought all new parts.. and my question is the following:

What could be causing this problem? are my GPUS not receiving enough power? are they faulty? should i replace them? cause i really dont want to, since they are working pretty good(when restarts dont happen) and also since i spent a lot of money on them and i dont want to buy anything below this setup...

Sorry for the long post but im having a really bad time over here, im so desperate right now...

Also sorry for my bad english/typos and stuff, im doing my best to write something understandable hehe.

Last edited by Gene5is; 11-08-2013 at 22:59.

Old
  (#2)
---TK---
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780Ti SLI/Qnix 2710 100Hz
Processor: 2600k 4.7Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
Default 11-08-2013, 23:04 | posts: 17,166 | Location: New Jersey, USA

I had sli 580 on the same psu and never any problem, you pretty much replaced everything but the video cards. did you put the blocks on the cards yourself or were they bought with the blocks on them?

Old
  (#3)
Gene5is

Default 11-09-2013, 00:09 | posts: 9 | Location: As. - Py.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---TK--- View Post
I had sli 580 on the same psu and never any problem, you pretty much replaced everything but the video cards. did you put the blocks on the cards yourself or were they bought with the blocks on them?
that used to happen before i placed the blocks on them and after i did, i never had watercooled before so i decided to try on this ones in case i screw up something.. placing the blocks was pretty easy tbh but thats not the problem either..

also: it doesnt have anything to do with how much load i put on the cards. it restarts/shutdowns when im benching, or gaming or doing absolutely NOTHING. so weird.

note: before, i had my build on a HAF X with the exact same pieces and it worked just fine.. after i switched my haf for the OBSIDIAN 800D this thing started to happen.. maybe its the case itself? how is this even possible?.. im starting to ramble right now since i honestly have no clue about whats going on..

Old
  (#4)
mitzi76
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 580 (Agua)
Processor: CoreI7 920@4ghz(EK Sup)
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6gb Corsair 1600
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1
PSU: 850w Antec
Default 11-09-2013, 16:30 | posts: 7,753 | Location: UK

does the problem persist with stock clocks i.e cpu+gpu?

p.s pressing the cards against the mobo isnt the way forward...

Old
  (#5)
Gene5is

Default 11-09-2013, 18:34 | posts: 9 | Location: As. - Py.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzi76 View Post
does the problem persist with stock clocks i.e cpu+gpu?

p.s pressing the cards against the mobo isnt the way forward...
Yup, with overclock or without it still persist.. and yeah I know it isnt.. still couldnt find a better solution though..

Old
  (#6)
Ouzo
Master Guru

Videocard: Sli, MSI 780ti Gaming
Processor: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.5
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3
Memory: Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 11-09-2013, 21:57 | posts: 324 | Location: Helsinki, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene5is View Post
that used to happen before i placed the blocks on them and after i did, i never had watercooled before so i decided to try on this ones in case i screw up something.. placing the blocks was pretty easy tbh but thats not the problem either..

also: it doesnt have anything to do with how much load i put on the cards. it restarts/shutdowns when im benching, or gaming or doing absolutely NOTHING. so weird.

note: before, i had my build on a HAF X with the exact same pieces and it worked just fine.. after i switched my haf for the OBSIDIAN 800D this thing started to happen.. maybe its the case itself? how is this even possible?.. im starting to ramble right now since i honestly have no clue about whats going on..
Short circuiting maybe. Have you double checked that all screws are correctly placed, no unwanted connection between MOBO and case, etc.

Old
  (#7)
ESlik
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2 EVGA Titans SLI
Processor: i7 4930K @4.4ghz.
Mainboard: Asus x79 RIVE
Memory: 16 gigs ddr3 @ 2400
Soundcard: ROG Xonar Phoebus
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default 11-09-2013, 22:31 | posts: 1,849 | Location: Sault Ste. Marie Ont. CA

Probably a bad PCI-E slot. Putting pressure on the card may have been all that was needed to make them seat properly.

Old
  (#8)
Gene5is

Default 11-09-2013, 23:09 | posts: 9 | Location: As. - Py.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzo View Post
Short circuiting maybe. Have you double checked that all screws are correctly placed, no unwanted connection between MOBO and case, etc.
have already checked more than twice hehe..

and just to make sure, what do you mean with "no unwanted connection between mobo and case"?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESlik View Post
Probably a bad PCI-E slot. Putting pressure on the card may have been all that was needed to make them seat properly.
with 2 motherboards in a row? i dont know man, maybe its just me having bad luck? lol