Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI
Videocards - AMD - ATI AMD Radeon graphics cards. Do you have one or want to buy one? Use this forum to discuss anything concerning products using Radeon graphics cards, CrossFireX, from Radeon 9800 to HD 6900

R9 290x Black Screen Crash
Old
  (#1)
nickrorschach

Videocard: AMD R9 290x 4GB
Processor: Intel i7 2600k @ Stock
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Antec 1200W PSU
Default R9 290x Black Screen Crash - 11-04-2013, 08:37 | posts: 43

Talking about this on the Overclockers fourms, couple of guys on Hard Forum with the same problem, thought i'd post here to see if anyone has the same issue:

- 1x 290x in a system that had been rock hard stable for over a year,
- I moved to Windows 8.1 from 7 at the same time. Other people using Windows 7.

Everything is fine, temps are fine, airflow in my case is fine, card seems happy, but every now and again i get a black screen lock-up when gaming, I've seen it in Dishonoured and Battlefield 4 three times now. Every time it was after gaming for ages and ages without a problem, and every time it was during a level transition.

2600k with a mild over-clock (which i turned off, same problem).
Z68 Extreme 4 with latest BIOS (i think).
Antec 1200W PSU
Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB

Prime 95 torture test ran for 8 hours with no problem.

Very latest AMD beta drivers.

It really sounds hardwarey - but i'd welcome any thoughts. Made some voltage changes and haven't had the issue since, but this was just 30 minutes of game play.

Cheers!

Old
  (#2)
JulesCools
Master Guru

Videocard: AMD Sapphire R9 290 4GB
Processor: AMD 8350 4.8ghz
Mainboard: MSi 990fxa
Memory: 8gb DD3 2133mhz
Soundcard: Sony usb wireless headset
PSU: Corsair 750w
Default 11-06-2013, 21:08 | posts: 244 | Location: Southern Cal

I heard about the black screens when overclocking the cards too high, but it sounds like a driver issue to me since it's happening during loading, not game play (right?)

Old
  (#3)
streakpt
Master Guru

Videocard: HIS 7970 3GB Xfire
Processor: Intel i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz
Mainboard: Foxconn Bloodrage GTI
Memory: 6GB Crucial Ballistix T.
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD/SS5hV2
PSU: Corsair HX Modular 1000w
Default 11-07-2013, 14:58 | posts: 261 | Location: Portugal

Ive been playing BF4 all week with my 7970, no problems, got my 290x yesterday, today i have the black screen hard lock. my 290x isnt clocked and its on uber mode.

Old
  (#4)
nickrorschach

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 11-07-2013, 18:40 | posts: 43

I get black screen stock and uber, no overclock.

Has anyone had the crash in games other than BF4?

Old
  (#5)
Taint3dBulge
Maha Guru

Videocard: 780Ti Classy 1333/8000
Processor: FX8350 5Ghz H100iPushPull
Mainboard: Asus Crosshair V FormulaZ
Memory: Trident X 2400 mhz
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z
PSU: EVGA G2 1300
Default 11-07-2013, 22:22 | posts: 1,069 | Location: South Dakota

Is it in "uber mode" if no switch to that see if it happens.. Also in uber mode create a fan profile with AB or asus gpu tweak.. Iv had that happen too with auto fan and quiet mode. According to amd peeps its a driver issue with the fan profiles and it taking to long for the fans to spin up... Once you get the rpm to ~60% or alittle higher you shouldnt see that ever again, as long as you stay and default clocks, or a new driver comes out..

Old
  (#6)
nickrorschach

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 11-07-2013, 22:44 | posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taint3dBulge View Post
Is it in "uber mode" if no switch to that see if it happens.. Also in uber mode create a fan profile with AB or asus gpu tweak.. Iv had that happen too with auto fan and quiet mode. According to amd peeps its a driver issue with the fan profiles and it taking to long for the fans to spin up... Once you get the rpm to ~60% or alittle higher you shouldnt see that ever again, as long as you stay and default clocks, or a new driver comes out..
Are you suggesting AMD have a acknowledged an issue with the 290x, related to fan profiles, that causes this issue? Interesting. Where did you hear this?

I get the problem in uber and non-uber:

My clocks stay 1000.0 for GPU and 1250.0 for memory.

Even in uber i very rarely see the fan go above 41%, the temp of the card is 80-90 ish, mostly 80ish with some minor peaks at 92/93, but the fan never goes near 50%. All on air. I think this is normal?

Old
  (#7)
flopper

Videocard: xfx 6950 2gb
Processor: i7 950
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: corsair
Default 11-07-2013, 23:06 | posts: 24

fullscreen gamemode? seems to function,
window game mode can cause blacks creen crashes.

newest bios MB?

Old
  (#8)
Taint3dBulge
Maha Guru

Default 11-07-2013, 23:07 | posts: 1,069 | Location: South Dakota

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...entatives.html

BEST QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS IMO.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2. We've seen reports from Tom's Hardware that retail 290X cards are clocking much lower (someone posted a chart on this page above), and even a user on Tech Report claiming much lower clocks than review samples have.
Is this simply because the current PowerTune implementation is heavily dependent on cooling (which will be variable from card to card)?
This issue with the 290X is causing people to be cautious regarding the 290 as well.

Plain and simple, THG and Tech Report have faulty boards. You can tell because Sweclockers performed the same retail board test and got the expected results: performance in identical to the AMD-issued samples.

Every 290X should be running 2200 RPM in quiet mode, and every 290 should be running 2650 RPM. We will be releasing a driver today or tomorrow that corrects these rare and underperforming products, wherever they may exist.
Quote:
No, but we do plan to switch to direct RPM control vs. PWM very shortly. PWM control does not always yield the exact RPM you're looking. Converting an electrical pulse to a mechanical rotation isn't an exact science! It's subject to the design variances of the fan and the PWM module, so we're going to make it the exact science it deserves to be.
Not a literal answer to your question, but a fun fact I wanted to share.
Quote:
Thracks November 6, 2013 10:03:46 AM
Quote:
ubercake said:
What is a single tech that AMD is currently working on that you don't feel there is enough buzz about? Something possibly overlooked or overshadowed but to which we should really be paying attention?

My favorite is the new implementation of PowerTune on the 290X and 290. There's a lot of doom and gloom around the 95C temperature, because people are used to a world where the product is designed to run as cold as possible... but that's not the world we're living in with these units. The doom and gloom is based on an old viewpoint.

95C is the optimal temperature that allows the board to convert its power consumption into meaningful performance for the user. Every single component on the board is designed to run at that temperature throughout the lifetime of the product.

If you throttle the temperature down below that threshold, then the board must in turn consume less power to respect the new temperature limit. Consuming less power means lowering vcore and engine clock, which means less performance.

You want to take full advantage of product TDP to maximize performance, and that is accomplished with a 95C ideal operating temperature for the 290 and 290X.

Even with a third-party cooling solution, like the Accelero 3 some users have started deploying, the logic of PowerTune will still try to maximize TDP by allowing temperatures to float higher until some other limit is met (voltage, clock, fan RPM, whatever).

It's so bloody smart and it kills me that more people don't fully understand it.

Quote:
Quote:
htapocysp said:
"You want to take full advantage of product TDP to maximize performance, and that is accomplished with a 95C ideal operating temperature for the 290 and 290X. "
So there is no benefit in performance if the card could run cooler? Wouldn't you be able to get more performance before you hit 95c?

A better cooler increases the watts of heat that the product can emit before the 95C equilibrium temperature is reached. In turn, this raises the maximum permissible clockspeed (within the limit of product TDP) the board can sustain.

Users with the Accelero coolers are finding they're reaching the clockspeed limit of the product at a lower temperature limit than 95C. So you can see how the experience is very customizable and interesting for enthusiasts.

Last edited by Taint3dBulge; 11-07-2013 at 23:11.

Old
  (#9)
roki977

Videocard: Asus gtx 670 dc2 TOP
Processor: i7 3770k, h100i
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V
Memory: 16GB 2400mhz Trident X
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 11-09-2013, 07:59 | posts: 12 | Location: Croatia

There is never any real performance benefit from aftermarket. It only keeps owners and GPUs more cool and more quiet and makes overclocking less stressful. 95c is not optimal for 290x its optimal for that cooler and there is nothing smart about it.

Old
  (#10)
ToorboCharge

Videocard: x2 Sapphire r9 290x
Processor: 4770k I7
Mainboard: Maximus VI Formula
Memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16gb
Soundcard: Corsair SP2500
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
Default 11-09-2013, 09:10 | posts: 28

Yeah my friend and I are getting the same problem with our sapphire r9 290x. his was watercooled and oc'd and mine was just stock. well the problems we (yes the both of us) have now are anytime our gpu is under any type of load on our gpu we get the black screen and would have to hard boot it, today i just sent my graphiucs card to rma since i figured it mightve been a bad card. I am hoping the turn around point for sapphire is pretty quick... I am reading online im looking to be gpu less for a month. I also sent my motherboard out to get replaced from new egg. For the past couple of days I couldnt find anything on this black screen issue until now.

Old
  (#11)
Falkentyne
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
Processor: Core i7 2600k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000W
Default 11-09-2013, 09:29 | posts: 399

If you're getting the black screen issue when your card is NOT being overclocked through CCC (and you haven't flashed any bioses on it),

Do you have Elpida memory or Hynix? seems like the Elpida cards are the ones black screening at stock (so far).

You can check with http://www.mediafire.com/?voj4j1rlk0ucfz4

(memory tool v1005)

Old
  (#12)
Vinnie
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2x AMD R9 290X
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K
Mainboard: Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3
Memory: 8GB Corsair DDR3-1600
Soundcard: X-fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Enermax Revolution 1020W
Default 11-09-2013, 14:28 | posts: 7,470 | Location: The Netherlands

My screen doesn't go black, but my system hard locks and the sound is looping when it is crashing. I have only had this in BF4 so far.

Old
  (#13)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 670 FTW Sli H2O/780 TFIV
Processor: 2600k@4.8 H2O/2500k@4.5
Mainboard: P8Z68-V PRO/P8Z77-V
Memory: corsair ddr3 8GB@1866
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus/onboard
PSU: Corsair HX850w/TX850w
Default 11-09-2013, 14:52 | posts: 5,417 | Location: FLA,USA

Sounds like the 7870's all over again. Hope it's not a hardware fault as it was in that case and the new drivers fix this.

Old
  (#14)
DesGaizu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: TWIN FROZR IV R9 290
Processor: i5-2500K 4.4 GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz
Soundcard: D1+A2+/990pro
PSU: Seasonic X-850 Gold
Default 11-09-2013, 14:56 | posts: 3,035 | Location: UK

I am here to join the club. Black screens sound loops have to restart.

Old
  (#15)
The Postman
Maha Guru

Videocard: 290x CF EK H2O
Processor: I7 4770k 4.6ghz
Mainboard: Z87X-UD5H
Memory: Corsair 16GB DDR3
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: Antec HCP 1200w
Default 11-09-2013, 17:37 | posts: 1,697 | Location: Boston

Guys I hope you can fix this issue.

This is not an isolated case and it seems that it is spreading (reading from some users). I do remember getting a black screen at startup when I set both cards. I fixed it by setting in bios pcie gen 3. This is not a solution by any means because not everyone has that option.

Back when I had a trifire with 4870x2 + 4890, I experienced black screens like the ones you described. I thought it was related to drivers. However, by reading the lights on the card I knew it was a power issue related.

I hope I am wrong but this looks like a hardware issue. I say this because most people are using the same drivers and not everyone have this problem.
If the problem persists, I would really consider a getting refund.

Old
  (#16)
Fox2232
Maha Guru

Videocard: Acc7970 XL2420T @120Hz
Processor: i5-2500k@4.5GHz NH-D14
Mainboard: MSI Z68A-GD80[g3]
Memory: 4x4GB 1600MHz 9,9,9,24
Soundcard: Essence ST / AKG K-701
PSU: FSP Gold series 750W
Default 11-09-2013, 18:11 | posts: 1,545 | Location: EU, CZ, Brno

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Guys I hope you can fix this issue.

This is not an isolated case and it seems that it is spreading (reading from some users). I do remember getting a black screen at startup when I set both cards. I fixed it by setting in bios pcie gen 3. This is not a solution by any means because not everyone has that option.

Back when I had a trifire with 4870x2 + 4890, I experienced black screens like the ones you described. I thought it was related to drivers. However, by reading the lights on the card I knew it was a power issue related.

I hope I am wrong but this looks like a hardware issue. I say this because most people are using the same drivers and not everyone have this problem.
If the problem persists, I would really consider a getting refund.
Since you got it solved by changing settings in bios. It may be possible to solve it even for PCIe 2.0 boards/ PCIe 3.0 with Sandy by bios update.
Or by proper driver having proper support for PCIe 2.0.

Old
  (#17)
kcuestag
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x Sapphire R9 290
Processor: i7 3930k @ 4.8GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X CL7
Soundcard: FiiO E7 + E9 + DT-770 PRO
PSU: Silverstone ST Plus 1000W
Default 11-09-2013, 18:57 | posts: 852 | Location: Spain

Same issue here, the card was fine since I got it 2 weeks ago, but since this morning I get black screen (No signal on the monitor) and I have to hard reset the computer.

It's completely random, at first it happened when opening BF4 Multiplayer while the map was loading (I didn't get to finish the map loading). Then it happened after an hour of Arma 2 gameplay, and just now it happened after 2 minutes of joining Arma 2.

I'm hoping this is not faulty cards all over the place and it can get solved by drivers, I am seriously considering selling or returning the card and getting something else...

I'm glad I'm not alone here, at first I was paranoid and thought it was the card, then thought it was the power supply dying...

PS: My card has Elpdia memory as well.

Last edited by kcuestag; 11-09-2013 at 19:04.

Old
  (#18)
ToorboCharge

Videocard: x2 Sapphire r9 290x
Processor: 4770k I7
Mainboard: Maximus VI Formula
Memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16gb
Soundcard: Corsair SP2500
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
Default 11-10-2013, 02:36 | posts: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
If you're getting the black screen issue when your card is NOT being overclocked through CCC (and you haven't flashed any bioses on it),

Do you have Elpida memory or Hynix? seems like the Elpida cards are the ones black screening at stock (so far).

You can check with http://www.mediafire.com/?voj4j1rlk0ucfz4

(memory tool v1005)

Well im not sure about mine since its in the mail getting sent to rma, but my friends was overclocked and he flashed bioses on it. He reverted back to the stock bios and still has the same issues not overclocked. He has Elpida Memory. Any ideas?

EDIT:
Oh yeah we tried running kombustor just to see if the gpu would go under load but as soon as we hit the start button the screen goes black.

Old
  (#19)
Taint3dBulge
Maha Guru

Default 11-10-2013, 02:57 | posts: 1,069 | Location: South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToorboCharge View Post
Well im not sure about mine since its in the mail getting sent to rma, but my friends was overclocked and he flashed bioses on it. He reverted back to the stock bios and still has the same issues not overclocked. He has Elpida Memory. Any ideas?

EDIT:
Oh yeah we tried running kombustor just to see if the gpu would go under load but as soon as we hit the start button the screen goes black.
I have Elpida too, my does the same thing.. I found a fix.. when it does it on windows start. Turn off the pc, and switch dvi ports on your card.. Fixed the problem for me... I did however today switch back to the top dvi port to see maybe if the dvi port is bad and everything works flawlessly now..

Old
  (#20)
nickrorschach

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 11-11-2013, 12:29 | posts: 43

Someone at Overclockers claims to have fixed the issue by dropping to 60hz from 120hz. I myself am running at 120hz but haven't had time to test it.

For those not overclocking etc this seems like a plausible cause.

Old
  (#21)
kcuestag
Maha Guru

Default 11-11-2013, 12:52 | posts: 852 | Location: Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrorschach View Post
Someone at Overclockers claims to have fixed the issue by dropping to 60hz from 120hz. I myself am running at 120hz but haven't had time to test it.

I'm on a 60Hz though...

Old
  (#22)
cowie
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX
Processor: 2600k
Mainboard: gigabyte p67 UD7
Memory: 2x4g 1600 ddr3
Soundcard:
PSU: pcp&c 1200 watt
Default 11-11-2013, 13:12 | posts: 11,990 | Location: new jersey

Great last time it was red screen now black hope i do not have this issue....that would pee me off.

Old
  (#23)
Falkentyne
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
Processor: Core i7 2600k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000W
Default 11-11-2013, 13:38 | posts: 399

One person said that he only got the black screens when he upgraded from one beta driver to the newest one. And he fixed it by uninstallijng the driver, using DDU 9.1 in safemode, then reinstalling the latest beta driver.

Old
  (#24)
kcuestag
Maha Guru

Default 11-11-2013, 14:00 | posts: 852 | Location: Spain

Quote:
One person said that he only got the black screens when he upgraded from one beta driver to the newest one. And he fixed it by uninstallijng the driver, using DDU 9.1 in safemode, then reinstalling the latest beta driver.
He probably didn't fix the issue. Like I explained on another forum, the issue can happen any time, randomly, and may not happen in hours of gaming at all..

My card worked fine for a week, even at 1150/1500 (default voltages), and all of a sudden on Saturday I started getting those blackscreens (Signal loss to the monitor, had to hard reset).

I tried driver re-install (with clean installs using DDU 9.1 in Safe Mode too), even underclocked the card to 800/1000, and nothing...

But then I shut off the computer and kept it off for a few minutes, and then I was able to do some gaming again at my normal OC of 1150/1500...

To me it sounds like either bad drivers or lots of faulty cards, I'm hoping the first one.

Old
  (#25)
DesGaizu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: TWIN FROZR IV R9 290
Processor: i5-2500K 4.4 GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz
Soundcard: D1+A2+/990pro
PSU: Seasonic X-850 Gold
Default 11-11-2013, 14:02 | posts: 3,035 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrorschach View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcuestag View Post
I'm on a 60Hz though...
I've tested on both 60,75 and 120 all blackscreen and hard crash, maybe if screen was just blacking out I'd say it could be that but it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie View Post
Great last time it was red screen now black hope i do not have this issue....that would pee me off.
Trust me I am pissed right off, never had such a unstable pc in the last 10 years until I put this gpu in and for anyone say oh well its only beta drivers and all gpu's are like this at launch BS! I've had a bunch of nvidia cards on launch day and none of them were like this.

Quote:
I'm going to try the beta V3 that came with the card today just to totally eliminate that possibility, either way I am in contact with rma again.