Realtek High Definition Audio Driver R2.72

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by DannyG, Oct 31, 2013.

1. DannyG

DannyG Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD6970
    Realtek High Definition Audio drivers R2.72 (6.0.1.7071). - New version of High Definition Audio drivers for sound card from the company Realtek, drivers are designed for operating systems Windows 200X, Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 - 32/64 bit.

Info about the driver:
    Name: Realtek High Definition Audio drivers
    (High Definition Audio System Software - Realtek ALC Audio drivers)
    Package version driver: R2.72 (3.75)
    Win 200X, XP driver version: 5.10.0.7071
    Win Vista driver version: 6.0.1.7071
    Version drivers Win 7, Win 8/8.1: 6.0.1.7071

Drivers Date: 22.10.2013

OS: Windows 200X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 - 64 bits

Supported chipsets:
    ALC1150, ALC663, ALC662, ALC665, ALC680, ALC260, ALC262, ALC882, ALC885, ALC883, ALC880, ALC888, ALC889, ALC861VC, ALC861VD, ALC892, ALC660,, ALC269, ALC268, ALC267, ALC273, ALC272, ALC270, ALC887, ALC670, ALC275.

HDMI Device WHQL Support: ATI HDMI Devices
    OS Supporting: Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 - x86/x64
    Pack with Microsoft High Definition Audio UAAV1.0a(5013) For Windows 2000 SP4, XP SP1, XP SP2, Server 2003 SP1.

Add/Fix
    1) Driver:
    Customizations;
    Add Codec ALC255, ALC235, ALC867;
    Support Windows 8.1.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

Fast Guru3D mirror download:
    http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/realtek_hd_audio_2_72_audio_driver_download.html

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    is there any reason to upgrade from previous revisions, like do new audio drivers have the same effect as say upgrading gpu drivers?

3. DannyG

DannyG Active Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD6970
    not necessarily, it can solve problems with the new 8 system, adds more ALC's support, but won't make a huge impact on the sound, unless it's a huge update or something really rare.

4. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I wish they would list what the "Customizations" are.

5. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I am still using the Win7 Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.6699. from the Asus page of my Motherboard.
    Every newer release than the one i am using, the ALC898 Audio CODEC that my Mobo uses is never on the list for supported codecs.
    Although i have installed newer versions without any problems, despite the ALC898 codec not being on the supported list.

They should at least include a changes log for any bug fixes or optimizations
    made to the drivers.

6. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Very good driver without a single problem so far. Realtek has the best driver support. Both, Audio and Network always work flawlessly.

Meanwhile, ASUS for some reason released the version 6.0.1.7040 which is problematic, at least on my Motherboard. It doesn't give me option to select 5.1 with normal, Rear Speakers. It provides only Side speakers for 5.1.

This is newer anyway ( 6.0.1.7071 ).

If only Creative could provide as good driver support... I'd still be using my X-Fi Platinum while an order for a Z series would have been placed already. But... never again Creative. I hear the driver even for Z series on Win 8/8.1 have the same, ancient problems.

On an unrelated note, on Windows 8.1 the built-in driver seems extremely good. Slightly less CPU usage ( audiodg.exe ), options for both, Rear & Side speakers for 5.1 setups, ability to manage Crossover ( on Enhancements -> Bass Management ) and ability to manage the volume of each speaker separately ( properties -> levels -> balance ). I don't understand why Realtek doesn't provide same functionality at least.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  7. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    ....dislike when drivers are out for ONLY new born chipsets.....(well though ..... integrated ones)...

8. snorge

snorge Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    strange thing is a few sites have a version 2.74 posted. I guess it must be a beta or alpha of some kind.

9. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    I uninstalled and installed these several times yesterday. They thought my 5.1 rear speakers were plugged into the side jack instead of the rear jack. No sound would play from the rear or the center speakers. It was the same thing every time I installed them. Went back to 2.71 and everything was fine again.

10. k37chup

k37chup Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 4070
    Did you try custom driver for asus? http://maxedtech.com/uni-xonar-features/
    I use it for headphones & 2.1 speakers with np.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Why do you care? It isn't going to sound better and you're likely not going to get any addtional features worth caring about.

One thing I personally really dislike about Realtek is it's very hard to interpret which chips are good and which are bad. The product number doesn't seem to directly reflect that. Some of their chips are actually pretty good (such as the one in my computer now, ALC889) where I see no compelling reason to replace them, and then I've used computers where it was probably the worst sound source I've ever had to deal with and couldn't believe it was considered a usable product.

One thing I personally never understood is, assuming the integrated sound source supports high enough bit and sample rates, why get a discrete sound card for SPDIF purposes?

12. Konrad Klar

Konrad Klar New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 560 1GB
    Thing I dislike in case of Realtek HD Audio drivers is two restarts requirement.
    Although as I observed, before second restart the drivers are actually installed. Seems like that only thing for which second restart is required is running a control panel (hidden in tray) set up to launch at system start. But this program may be run manually without problem (and without second restart of course).

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Almost every time windows wants to restart for something driver related, you really don't need to. Even video drivers don't seem to require a restart anymore (at least if you're updating them).

Depending on the distribution, linux doesn't even require you to do anything at all - just turn on the system and sound works.

14. Konrad Klar

Konrad Klar New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 560 1GB
    Unfortunately one restart is actually required in case of Realtek HD Audio (or I do not know, how to omit it).

I wonder whether it is specific for Realtek HD Audio or is it a general rule for HD Audio (or just audio) drivers under Vista and newer?

15. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I usually just use my Xonar card, but...

The R271 driver was flawless on my mainboard's ALC889A chip.

This R272 version only allows me to select xx bit, 48000 Hz on the recording devices and will not allow 16 bit, 44100 Hz, so that I don't have re-sample audio files before making audio CDs with them. Even the mic input. If I wanted to use this for Ventrillo, or Skype, or something, I would not want it recording 48000 Hz for simple voice crap.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

16. RighteousRami

RighteousRami Guest

GPU:
    2 MSI 980 SLI
    If your speakers work fine pretty much no need to update unless you see a big update.

17. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Keep in mind Realtek released an official, slightly newer driver already: 6.0.1.7076 ( 29/10 date ).

Interesting but my card isn't based on the chip that guy is talking about. Otherwise he would have mentioned the wide range of X-Fi based cards.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  18. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    R273 (6.0.1.7083) is out now. It has the same problems as R272 and Dolby Digital Live (5.1 encoding over optical connection) is missing from the Realtek Control Panel.

R271 is still the best version on my rig. Everything works. No problems.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  19. Dementis

Dementis Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 980 ti Amp EXtreme
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  20. allup

allup Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X SLi 2070 Super
    Hilbert, What motherboard brand is that interface from?

Also my Asus Sabertooth 990FX R.2.0
    Is Giving me the 2,73 Driver as 6.0.1.7083

I guess which Sound chip you have on your board as to which interface and driver you end up with. The Gigabyte board in my woman's, is the same chip but intel based. Same download, uses an older driver. 6.0.1.6888
    So who knows?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013