Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

Closed Thread

Big problem afterbuner and win8 and G15
Old
  (#1)
Burgurne
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI Lightning GTX770
Processor: Corei5 3570"K"@4,3Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A GD65
Memory: Corsair CL9 8Gb 1600MHZ
Soundcard: Auzentech + Logitech
PSU: Zalman ZM850-HP
Default Big problem afterbuner and win8 and G15 - 09-29-2013, 04:26 | posts: 243 | Location: Denmark

Greetings.
On a new clean installed Windows 8, I can't get Afterburner to work proberly. I used to run it in Windows 7, and have some monitoring shown in my Logitech G15 display. I have checked 3 items to monitor and to show in display, but nothing happens. "Statistic Server" does not start at boot (so no OSD in games), and if I start Statistic Server manually, the OSD is showing in games, but still no info in G15-display.
I have checked, that Afterburner is indeed running in Logitechs settings for the keyboard.

In Windows 7 if I shut down Statistic Server, Afterburner is turning it back on within seconds, but in Windows 8 Afterburner does not seem to know about Statistic Server, and is also not able to let the app for G15 receive any data (my guess). It is the same driverversion for my GTX770, and it is the same version of Afterburner (Beta 15 2nd edition) downloaded here at Guru3d.com.

In windows 8 I have tried to set both programs to run with admin rights, but that did not help at all.

Any ideas?

TIA

Old
  (#2)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-29-2013, 10:23 | posts: 11,541 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Statistics Server has ZERO relation to G15 functionality. You're misunderstanding things and configuring something wrong.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#3)
Burgurne
Master Guru

Default 09-29-2013, 13:48 | posts: 243 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
Statistics Server has ZERO relation to G15 functionality. You're misunderstanding things and configuring something wrong.
Maybe so, but the fact is, that the same settings in afterburner in windows 7 does not work in windows 8 when it comes to G15. I have a dual boot, so I can easely test in both systems.

Old
  (#4)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-29-2013, 19:03 | posts: 11,541 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

I repeat the same again and cannot add anything to it: G15 functionality doesn't depend on statistics server AT ALL. You, re searching in wrong direction. That't also absolute fact.

Old
  (#5)
Burgurne
Master Guru

Default 09-29-2013, 22:07 | posts: 243 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
I repeat the same again and cannot add anything to it: G15 functionality doesn't depend on statistics server AT ALL. You, re searching in wrong direction. That't also absolute fact.
Okay. I'll repeat myself clearer. I have a new installed windows 8 Pro. New installed newest WHQL drivers from Nvidia. Newest installed MSI Afterburner (which install Statistic Server by default). Installed newest software to my G15.
I open Afterburner, clicking on "setting", clicking on the "monitoring" tap. I highlight GPU usage, marking "Show in Logitech LCD display". I then click OK.

Doing so in Windows 7 brings the selected info on the G15 display.

Doing so in Windows 8 does NOT bring the selected info on the G15 display. WHY?

All the talk about Statistic server was about OSD (framerate for me) in games. In Windows 7 Afterburner starts SS automatic, but in Windows 8 I have to start SS myself (otherwice there is no OSD)

Old
  (#6)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-29-2013, 22:38 | posts: 11,541 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Dig in direction of G15 software installation/configuration differences under your win7 and win8 OS'es. Cannot say WHY those things are configured differently from YOUR side, it is up to you to find it out. Nothing but G15 software can affect that. And no, you're mistaking on statistics server again, it is started automatically under any OS as soon as you enable ANY functionality that depend on it. Manual server launch is never needed.

Old
  (#7)
Burgurne
Master Guru

Default 09-30-2013, 03:36 | posts: 243 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
And no, you're mistaking on statistics server again, it is started automatically under any OS as soon as you enable ANY functionality that depend on it. Manual server launch is never needed.
Well, not in my Windows 8 installation. In Afterburner I select "FrameRate" under monitoring tab. Nothing happens. No framerate is slowing up in games UNLESS I _manually_ starts Statistic server after boot, no matter if you believe it or not.

In Windows 7 it works as you write.

Old
  (#8)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-30-2013, 07:15 | posts: 11,541 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgurne View Post
Well, not in my Windows 8 installation. In Afterburner I select "FrameRate" under monitoring tab. Nothing happens. No framerate is slowing up in games UNLESS I _manually_ starts Statistic server after boot, no matter if you believe it or not.
Show me your monitoring tab. Yes, I absolutely don't beleive in that.

Old
  (#9)
Burgurne
Master Guru

Default 09-30-2013, 15:35 | posts: 243 | Location: Denmark

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps89fee8fc.jpg

Here is a picture of the monitor-tap.

Old
  (#10)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-30-2013, 18:16 | posts: 11,541 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps89fee8fc.jpg

Here is a picture of the monitor-tap.
The screenshot is captured with Window7 Aero GUI, not Windows 8 metro. I need to see the last one, where it "doesn't" work.

Old
  (#11)
pbcopter

Videocard: EVGA GTX 460 SC 1GB
Processor: INTEL i7 3820 LGA 2011
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA X79 UD5 v1.0
Memory: 16 GB (4 X 4GB) G-Skill R
Soundcard: Realtek Onboard ALC898
PSU: Corsair HW1000W
Default 09-30-2013, 23:58 | posts: 19 | Location: Florida, USA

I am using a Logitech G-15 keyboard (software version 8.50.281) with Afterburner 3.0 beta 15 and have no issues displaying any monitored item on the LCD. I have used this with Windows 8 and now Windows 8.1 RTM for what it's worth.

Last edited by pbcopter; 10-01-2013 at 00:01.

Old
  (#12)
Burgurne
Master Guru

Default 10-01-2013, 14:41 | posts: 243 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
The screenshot is captured with Window7 Aero GUI, not Windows 8 metro. I need to see the last one, where it "doesn't" work.
Ok, my mistake.
Here are 2 pics, one showing the monitortab in windows 8, and the other is a photo taken, where you can see that "Afterburner" is running in the G15-software, but it is not showing up in the display itself (pic called showing.jpg)

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps85ee169c.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps83e3c666.jpg

I got the Statistic server to run by itself (as you described) by selecting Afterburner to "run as Administrator", but I still can't get afterburner to show anything on the G15 display.

Old
  (#13)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 10-01-2013, 15:00 | posts: 11,541 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Lack of RTSS autostart is the only AB-related thing that interesed me from whole story. On G15 check the very beginning of post #6.

Old
  (#14)
Burgurne
Master Guru

Default 10-01-2013, 20:14 | posts: 243 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Lack of RTSS autostart is the only AB-related thing that interesed me from whole story. On G15 check the very beginning of post #6.
Okay, if that the case, why did you not tell me to run afterburner in "Admin-mode" the first time?
The only thing you have bee writing back is that I'm too stupid to install afterburner, that I'm lying (or that you don't believe what I'm writing). So thank you very much for all your guides and ideas to look for these errors.

EOD

Old
  (#15)
boogieman
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 970
Processor: i72600K @ 4.5
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: 2 x 4 G Skill
Soundcard: X-Fi Extremegamer
PSU: BFG Tech EX-1200
Default 10-01-2013, 20:29 | posts: 1,655 | Location: USA

From the readme file distributed with AB.

Quote:
System requirements:
***61623; Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 (both x86 and x64 versions) with full administrative rights
***61623; NVIDIA GeForce 6 or newer series graphics card with NVIDIA ForceWare 96.xx or higher drivers
***61623; AMD RADEON HD 2000 or newer series graphics card with AMD Catalyst 9.3 or higher drivers
***61623; Any graphics card can be used to start application in limited functionality mod

Old
  (#16)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 10-01-2013, 21:03 | posts: 11,541 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Okay, if that the case, why did you not tell me to run afterburner in "Admin-mode" the first time?
Probably because i don't have mind readng skills to guess where you mistaken in your actions? And by the way to surprize you, you physically can not run AB as non-admin because administrative rights requirement are hardcoded in EXE manifest. So running it "as admin" is a placebo and do nothing, you always run it as admin with or without this option.
EOD
Each time dealing with user having some issues due to his stupidity ends like that.

Closed Thread