SteamOS announced by Valve

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by blesner, Sep 23, 2013.

1. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    THANK YOU VALVE AND FCK YOU MS!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/23/valve-announces-steamos/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
  3. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
  4. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    My prediction is that Half Life 3 will be a SteamOS exclusive...just you watch.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    They wont alienate windows. they will probably make it available for the mac and linux as well. (just like other source engine games)

As for this OS as main gaming os, i will never get into it.
    windows with all the possibilities for mods and custom dll's FTW!
    Dont give a crap for steam workshop as that has proved its quite limited.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    As long as it encourages OS X and Linux ports, I'm happy. I don't want to be locked into MS' operating system thanks to gaming anymore.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Valve are even more out of touch than MS it seems, with much of it sounding like something MS came up with.

So this is the future of PC gaming?
    Strea.ming video, and games built around sitting far away from a TV with a controller.

While I'm not against those things this is clearly aimed at casual gamers and is going to alienate alot of enthusiasts.

8. Domhq

Domhq Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic R9 270X
    You need Windows in your other PC to play games anyway. It's cool to play in my big screen but its not what I expected.

9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    I hope it fails tremendously, i dont want games to have twice as many bugs as now because they have to "test" them in two SOs.

And I don't see any benefict over windows. (for playing games, which is what we are talking about, in 99.99% gaming computers the "better" linux performance is negligible)

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    They do that and they can say bye bye to my money.

11. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    How about fixing that buggy client first?

12. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
  13. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    Do you guys think running only a Steam OS with games would give more resources towards the games?

Games like Arma 3 hit a bottleneck on the CPU even with todays powerful CPU's. They don't utilize all the cores available. If you are using only the Steam OS, which is dedicated towards gaming, I wonder if that would allow games to run better on Steam OS as opposed to Windows OS.

14. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    It's just another Linux distro and yes the client is buggy with the constant "application already running" and client freeze up

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Other the offline mode i've never found it that buggy, slow and bloated though.

It did get me thinking, i wonder if you can choose to install a lite version of this?
    I don't imagine everyone will want all the movie/tv stuff, or the mobile/tablet integration as both those things are what people criticised MS for.

16. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Well give the amount of crazy that Gabe's been talking about Windows of late I wouldn't be shocked.

Anyone else see the irony in Gabe moaning about MS and Windows on and off for several months only for Steambox and SteamOS to require a power house middle man PC no doubt running Windows to fully utilities the features of Valve's new toys?

Yes

- Still refuses to save open and closed game categories tabs
    - Still tells you a game is running even when it isn't
    - Checks and does a first time install on games that have been played many times and been installed for years
    - Is still shockingly slow, seriously Origin, Uplay everything else opens, and navigates quicker
    - Still plays videos with the sound muted by default

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I think most in general expect to be able to Netflix and play BluRay's. Almost every device now has steaming and social related apps. They just sit there and unlikely to pose any measurable difference in performance for a game.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    lol, The Laughing Ma actually i was wrong there are more issues i have with Steam.

F1refly, i think Netflix is guaranteed, but i don't think playing BluRay's will be possible if it's a free open source OS.

I don't mean they will slow anything down, but i know what people are like these days when it comes to software they don't want being forced on them.

Reading it again it does sound like there should be alot of choice what to use when it comes to software.
    Anyone else think this could lead to Steam Support being overwhelmed by people who don't know what they are doing and have broken something?

19. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Yeah, I would wait for some benchmarks and actually see it working before saying "fck you" to Microsoft.

Though this does bring some much needed competition. Microsoft does tend to do some awesome things when they start to lose market share, and Steam knows what gamers want. This will be interesting!

20. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Gabe still smoking that crack pipe.