The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief - Any NVIDIA owners having problems loading it?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Darren Hodgson, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I haven't played this game in a while and with e-p-i-s-o-d-e 2 apparently out I thought it was time to return to it. Alas, it will not load and gets stuck on a black screen with a spinning mouse cursor. I then have to use Task Manager to return to the desktop, open a command prompt and type in taskkill /im "raven_game.exe" /f to close it manually as I cannot so from Task Manager itself (I just see the spinning mouse cursor so I'm unable to click on anything above the task bar). I've tried revalidating the cache twice and even uninstalled and redownloaded the game on Steam with the same results.

I've just installed the new v327.73 WHQL drivers but despite requests in the driver thread no-one has left any feedback on this game so I'd appreciate it if anyone else with a similar system to mine or an NVIDIA graphics card and using this driver could tell me whether the game loads for them please?

(Argh, the way this site keeps filtering perfectly innocent words is getting extremely annoying...)

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    128 views and not one reply from someone with the game and an NVIDIA graphics card?

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    probably google spider bots. tbh you are the only one on this forum i ever did see talking about this game never saw a single screenshot in the screenshot thread as well, so i guess its not really a big seller.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It's a point 'n' click adventure so it has very limited appeal but I'm still surprised that no-one else has it, not even one other person.

I think it is a driver issue but I really did not want to downgrade to an early one that is missing optimizations and fixes for newer games just for the sake of a single title. Looks like I might have to in order to ascertain whether it is the driver or something else causing it to lock up during loading. NVIDIA do seem to have a habit of breaking games at the moment so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was the driver.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

5. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    It doesnt look that bad. Last point and click game i think i finished truly was The Immortals of Terra: A Perry Rhodan Adventure

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Hmmm, I tried the 320.49 WHQL drivers with the same issue for this game so it may not be the drivers after all as those are the first drivers for the GTX 780 and I've definitely played The Raven on my new card.

What else can cause a game to stop responding during loading?

I'm not running D3DOverrider and RTSS (which is needed with EVGA Precision X) is set to None on in its The Raven profile. I'm thinking that there is a conflict or incompatibility with something else running on my PC but so far this is the only game with this bug that I've come across. I was forcing 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA but it still wouldn't load when I completely reset everything in the profile.

7. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    does it use vcredist ? maybe thats broken ?

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It very likely does use VC++ but I have numerous different builds of VC++ installed on my PC from 2005 right up to 2012 according to Program and Features control panel and the VC++ Redistributable is automatically installed with every game so I doubt it is that but you never know.

The game uses the Unity engine I think but so does Anna: Extended Edition and that works fine.

I think I'll need to do some sort of trace as I start the game to find out what causes it to stop responding but I'm clueless as to how to do it or what to use, even though I do have Microsoft's Process Explorer and Process Monitor software installed.

9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  10. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    It works for me latest whql drivers

11. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    Have you overclocked cpu or gpu maybe somthings unstable or you may have some software stopping it from running d3dovrider does this in some games

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    A reply at last from an NVIDIA GTX 780 owner no less! Yippee! :D

Thanks for the confirmation RPGgamesplayer, much appreciated, as I was thinking it wasn't the drivers after all, especially as no-one else has reported the issue.

My GTX 780 is overclocked, yes, but only by +100 MHz on the core and +150 MHz on the memory. I will try loading the game at stock clocks? Is that what you're using?

I am not using D3DOverrider by the way as it doesn't work for me (well, it will run in the background according to Task Manager but there's no system tray icon and the main window refuses to open so I've disabled it from booting with Windows).

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
  14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The game still hangs on loading using stock GPU clocks and my CPU isn't overclocked anyway. :(

Surgeon Simulator 2013 seems to use similar named files to The Raven (I think it's the Unity engine) but it loads fine. And as I said earlier, Anna: Extended Edition works OK too.

The Raven did update early but unfortunately not to a working build!

15. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Three a kind ftw.

And i noticed that you seem to have always problems no matter what game ;)

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I do have 417 games installed so it may seem that way but the vast majority of them do work fine! :p

17. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Wow, thats a lot :D

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, well I tend to install games and never uninstall them but not only is it nice to have an large instant library to choose from, it does mean that I've had to increase my hard drive storage from 1 TB to 5 TB over the years. :)

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Despite upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro, I am still completely unable to play The Raven. I've tried revalidating it several times and even uninstalling/redownloading it. I've even tried stopping all non-essential services and closing as many system tray apps as possible. Nothing works. Other than an incompatibility issue with FIFA 13 and Windows 8.1, all my other games seem to work to work fine on both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 so I'm totally at a loss as to what the issue is.

The screen goes black and the game becomes non-responsive a few seconds after I click on Start Game from the launcher. It's at this point that EVGA Precision X's OSD normally pops up so it would seem that that is the culprit except that I've disabled it for this game and it still doesn't load. The only thing I've haven't tried yet is disabling EVGA Precision X completely at boot up to see if the way the libraries hook onto DirectX are what is stopping the game from running.

It doesn't help that this game does not seem to be hugely popular as fewer people playing means fewer people reporting issues.

20. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    No problems with the game. Windows 8.

I hope you can fix it soon.