Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Want to talk about anything Hardware related? This is the place, you can discuss it here.

touched the (probably ungrounded) pc case with metal and the sound went for good ..
Old
  (#1)
Aquinax

Videocard: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 wi
Processor: Intel Celeron D 315, 226
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: AC Line
Default touched the (probably ungrounded) pc case with metal and the sound went for good .. - 09-20-2013, 20:35 | posts: 6

I've built this new pc: Intel i3 3225, ASUS P8H77-M PRO, 120 GB Kingston SSD and a Sea Sonic Electronics S12II-380B 380W CPU. I've installed Windows 8 and it worked pretty fine for two days. Then, being unsatisfied with Intel Graphics being unable to separate the display and video settings as nVidia card did, I tried to see whether my old graphics card would fit in the PCI slot. While I tried to see where it could fit in I touched the case of the computer with it and a crackling sound came from the speakers. Although the pc was open I inclined to think I have not touched the motherboard but one of the metal removable bars which are removed when an extension card is placed in one of the slots. Since then I heard a constant hissing sound from the speakers which after uninstalling/reinstalling the Realtec HD audio drivers which is now replaced by a dead silence.

I can now listen through my wireless headset only, there is no sound from the speakers. And the thought that I could have killed the sound capability of my PC on the second!! day of its life instills a very dreadful feeling in me. But .. perhaps not all is lost (i.e. no hardware repair will be needed, Perhaps a system reinstall ?), or in the other case is this little box with audio jack-ins replaceable/repairable ?

I would appreciate your reply. Thank you.

Old
  (#2)
StewieTech
Chuck Norris

Videocard: R9 280
Processor: i5 4670k [4.4]
Mainboard: AsRock z87 Extreme3
Memory: Kingston 8GB [1600]
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DG
PSU: OCZ ZT 550W
Default 09-20-2013, 21:37 | posts: 1,386 | Location: Portugal

You should never have something with power, not a single component must be connected to electricity when a person is swapping components. It is very well possible that you damaged the speakers. Is your speakers connected with a single 3.5mm jack? If yes, just plug them to another computer/tablet/smartphone and see if they deliver sound. That´s a beggining.

Old
  (#3)
must_kill_ati
Maha Guru

Videocard: Msi Gaming 780 Oc
Processor: I5 3570k @4.2
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
Soundcard: Xonar DSX
PSU: Corsair 850w
Default 09-20-2013, 21:37 | posts: 1,255 | Location: Iowa

If I'm reading this right, your headphones still work and your pc speakers don't.

If that's the case I don't see how it would be your computer (it's the speakers).

Old
  (#4)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX770 4GB FTW
Processor: i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: EVGA 750G2
Default 09-20-2013, 21:48 | posts: 4,974 | Location: Washington DC

ALWAYS unplug everything from the back of the computer before replacing parts.

Also, I'm not sure what type of graphics card you will be able to use with a 380W PSU. I would look into upgrading that.

Old
  (#5)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 19 inch flat screen
Processor: 500 gigabyte cpu, FAST!?
Mainboard: The case is black
Memory: Ram? Male sheep?
Soundcard: Sound card? Like a CD?
PSU: duh, wall socket
Default 09-20-2013, 23:31 | posts: 5,633 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

connect the speakers to a different device, to check if they work or not.

The mobo is probably under warranty, so not all is lost. Just make sure it isn't the speakers first.
headsets, sometimes use USB, so it passes through a different way.
there ARE fuses that goto the audio plugs, to stop surges from frying the board, only the fuse goes. you may have fried the fuse. (they are surface mount, so can't be replaced easily.)

Old
  (#6)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7950 Vapor-X 1175/1550
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.8
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatal1ty
PSU: AcBel M8 750
Default 09-20-2013, 23:40 | posts: 24,426 | Location: NZ

Look in device manager under sound devices, if all looks normal your soundcard is prob OK. If you see code 43 or code 10 it might be fried.

If you're concerned about static u can turn off the power at the wall but leave cord plugged into PSU, that way the PC will be grounded.

Last edited by Pill Monster; 09-20-2013 at 23:42.

Old
  (#7)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HIS HD 6870
Processor: I3-2120
Mainboard: ASRock H61icafe
Memory: 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1333
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: PC Power&Cooling S61EPS
Default 09-21-2013, 00:16 | posts: 2,881 | Location: Evans Ga,USA

pci-e sound card is another solution/upgrade...Also any graphics card w/hdmi will produce sound via hdmi........

Old
  (#8)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7950 Vapor-X 1175/1550
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.8
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatal1ty
PSU: AcBel M8 750
Default 09-21-2013, 00:29 | posts: 24,426 | Location: NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
pci-e sound card is another solution/upgrade...Also any graphics card w/hdmi will produce sound via hdmi........
Good point....like the HD2000 on his i3.

Old
  (#9)
Aquinax

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 09-21-2013, 15:06 | posts: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieTech View Post
You should never have something with power, not a single component must be connected to electricity ...
StewieTech, I have become wiser now .. (( The speakers are the TV speakers and they're ok, the USB headphones reproduce sound, so I guess the sound card is intact, also I've plugged normal speakers to the pc and there's silence there as well. So it must be an amplifier or something on the way from the motherboard to the socket with 6 line-ins, that had been fried..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouji View Post
The mobo is probably under warranty, so not all is lost. ..
I don't know .. It's an encouraging thought .. But would that not be cheating and wouldn't they discover that the thing has been fried by the end user(me) and send it back? I've already ordered a sound card (this Creative 5.1 VX) and hope it will be unaffected by my bad and stupid handling of the pc and will deliver HD sound as the prospect of arguing with ASUS over what I've screwed up doesn't look appealing to me. The warranty doesn't cover a user's stupidity, does it. What's the general practice here - do they accept anything sent to them within days of purchase (as a theoretical question)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Monster View Post
Look in device manager under sound devices, if all looks normal your soundcard is prob OK ..
In the device manager everthing is alright. I did not killed the soundcard just its connection to the I/O socket.

On an other note and going back to my original wish to have the video and display settings separated. I know it can't be done in the Intel graphics settings, but can it not be done with some additional software on the present hardware? Or should I install a separate video card? My old AGP card with nVidia drivers accomplished that and I thought surely the Intel HD graphics 4000 chip would handle this task but I was disappointedly taught otherwise .. I'm looking into buying something like this Asus GT610 now and hope its nVidia drivers have the same separate display/video output function as my old card did - I read a lot on the monitor and so have low brightness set but I'd like to watch videos normally.

Thanks for the quick replies - they've been very encouraging and helpful ..

PS:
Quote:
..Also any graphics card w/hdmi will produce sound via hdmi........
aibud7, I have a DVI-only TV so I rely on a 3.5 audio cable. thanks for replying.

Last edited by Aquinax; 09-21-2013 at 15:09.

Old
  (#10)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Default 09-22-2013, 00:57 | posts: 2,881 | Location: Evans Ga,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquinax View Post
I've already ordered a sound card (this Creative 5.1 VX) .
OP...That is a pci card....Your board has only pci-e slots...It wont work....

Old
  (#11)
Aquinax

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 09-22-2013, 13:24 | posts: 6

Quote:
OP...That is a pci card....Your board has only pci-e slots...It wont work....
Thanks airbud7, I've canceled the order and ordered another. What about other questions - do you know whether Asus nVidia GT610 would allow separate outpur settings for video and display?

Old
  (#12)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Default 09-22-2013, 17:18 | posts: 2,881 | Location: Evans Ga,USA

You would be better off using the HD4000 graphics on your i3 than the GeForce GT 610...

HD 7750 or GTX 650 would be great for video...

Good cheap card...>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

Last edited by airbud7; 09-22-2013 at 17:32.

Tags
no sound pc not grounded