Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

Fukushima Update
Old
  (#1)
Taint3dBulge
Maha Guru

Videocard: 780Ti Classy 1333/8000
Processor: FX8350 5Ghz H100iPushPull
Mainboard: Asus Crosshair V FormulaZ
Memory: Trident X 2400 mhz
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z
PSU: EVGA G2 1300
Default Fukushima Update - 09-01-2013, 05:17 | posts: 1,068 | Location: South Dakota

This thing has been played down till recently. Its far worse then what most every one thought.

http://youtu.be/xT1-rkJCiuU

All those huge containers of water. What are they going to do with them. What happens if there is another EQ, tsunami or cyclone? Blows my mind how anyone could think this would be easy, but takes time to fix.

Around 7:30 shows how it will effect the pacific ocean.

More info here.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn....ink/?hpt=hp_t4

Last edited by Taint3dBulge; 09-01-2013 at 05:31.

Old
  (#2)
IcE
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: i5 3570K @4.0
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: SBZ + Aune T1 + CAL
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 09-01-2013, 05:53 | posts: 9,051 | Location: Toledo

Lol, sucks for Japan, but it's their own fault for not taking the proper measures and just expecting TEPCO to deal with it themselves. And don't start that nonsense again about how it's a world issue and that everyone is doomed. What happened after Chernobyl? World kept going as normal. What happened after over 2,000 nuclear tests? World kept going as normal.

That's not to say that this isn't important to deal with, but the construction of a proper holding tank facility instead of this hobbled nonsense should have been done ages ago or at least been started.

Old
  (#3)
hallryu
Don Altobello

Videocard: 2x HD7970 - QNIX/U2711
Processor: 3770k delid@4.6GHz - H320
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7 (F5)
Memory: Dominator GT 2133 2x4GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + SP2500
PSU: BeQuiet! DP Pro 1200W
Default 09-01-2013, 06:12 | posts: 11,415 | Location: England

Not really an update, we all knew the situation was dire. If Japan has mishandled the cleanup then shame on them. As stated above, the world will soldier on.

Old
  (#4)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HIS 7870 IceQ GHz 2GB
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.3 w/YASYA
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97
Memory: 8GB G.Skill 1866
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Xtreme
PSU: TT Toughpower XT 675
Default 09-01-2013, 07:14 | posts: 2,924 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Its really a shame that the planets water is constantly under assault from mankind. Its its not a giant oil spill on one end of Earth, its a nuclear spill on the other.

Old
  (#5)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2*7970 @ 1000/1500
Processor: "Core i9" @ 4.2 GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X79S-UP5
Memory: 16GB@1600MHz@9-9-9-24
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 09-01-2013, 11:17 | posts: 4,746 | Location: Not Far North Enough (England)

It might be a lot of radiation, but there's a whole lot more ocean.

Old
  (#6)
Tom F
Maha Guru

Videocard: X1950 Pro
Processor: Athlon X2 3800
Mainboard: Abit AN8 Ultra
Memory: 4096
Soundcard: AMB γ2
PSU: Akasa 460W
Default 09-01-2013, 11:37 | posts: 2,748 | Location: Gloucesterestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSparil View Post
Its really a shame that the planets water is constantly under assault from mankind. Its its not a giant oil spill on one end of Earth, its a nuclear spill on the other.
This

Old
  (#7)
Undying
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 280X Vapor-X
Processor: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
Memory: 8GB Patriot Signature
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DG
PSU: Tt Toughpower XT 775W
Default 09-01-2013, 11:38 | posts: 4,141 | Location: Serbia, NS

We gonna play STALKER - Shadows of Fukushima soon?

Old
  (#8)
CronoGraal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD6870 1GB
Processor: Intel Q9450 @ 3.4ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X48-DQ6
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy SE
PSU: Corsair 750W TX
Default 09-01-2013, 12:17 | posts: 3,785 | Location: Sweden

Had two atom bombs dropped on them and they're now one of the world's leading in various industries. I think they'll be fine.

Old
  (#9)
Black_ice_Spain
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7850 1gb @ 1120mhz
Processor: 2500K @ 4.4 / 1.28v
Mainboard: Z77P-D3
Memory: 8gb 1600 CL9
Soundcard: Xonar DG
PSU: AC Strike-X 600W
Default 09-01-2013, 13:57 | posts: 4,358 | Location: Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEH! View Post
it will reach US coast so...

luckily, we are on the other side of the planet

Old
  (#10)
Tom F
Maha Guru

Videocard: X1950 Pro
Processor: Athlon X2 3800
Mainboard: Abit AN8 Ultra
Memory: 4096
Soundcard: AMB γ2
PSU: Akasa 460W
Default 09-01-2013, 16:22 | posts: 2,748 | Location: Gloucesterestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_ice_Spain View Post
it will reach US coast so...

luckily, we are on the other side of the planet
That's not really the point though is it?

Old
  (#11)
Black_ice_Spain
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7850 1gb @ 1120mhz
Processor: 2500K @ 4.4 / 1.28v
Mainboard: Z77P-D3
Memory: 8gb 1600 CL9
Soundcard: Xonar DG
PSU: AC Strike-X 600W
Default 09-01-2013, 20:51 | posts: 4,358 | Location: Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom F View Post
That's not really the point though is it?
It's one of the points . The whole point is how it affects humanity, and we are a part of it.

Old
  (#12)
Veeshush
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 680 Lightning
Processor: Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4GHz
Mainboard: GA-MA790X-UD4P
Memory: CorsairDominator 4GB DDR2
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: ENERMAX REVOLUTION85+
Default 09-01-2013, 23:52 | posts: 836

With Bikini Atoll the radiation got adsorbed by living organisms because "cesium is part of the same chemical family as the plant nutrient potassium".

http://www.bikiniatoll.com/PopularSciArt.html

So I'd think shoreline plants and fish would be affected. But, if the fish are edible round Japan, I wouldn't worry about it.

http://news.msn.com/us/calls-for-sea...-leak-in-japan

"A leak of 300 tons is about 80,000 gallons, but the Pacific Ocean is pretty large compared to that," said Dr. Arjun Makhijani, president of the Institute for Energy and Environmental Research. "So there's a big dilution effect."

Honestly, I'd say there's more risk with mercury poisoning for the average person.

Old
  (#13)
GhostXL
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 780 SLI @ 1150
Processor: i7 4790K @ 4.8ghz on H90
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus VII HERO Z97
Memory: G.Skill Trident DDR3 2667
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200 watt
Default 09-02-2013, 00:20 | posts: 5,587 | Location: PA, USA

Quote:
While I agree that optimism is important in these situations, this is not good at all. Of course the ocean is vast, and there is most probably more water than radioactive material spewing into the ocean. The problem here is the effects it has on wildlife and weather, not just the water.

If we just keep telling ourselves, "Meh there is more water than radioactive waste" every time something like this happens, then eventually we will corner ourselves with impure soil, water, and food.

This needs to be a lesson learned, not to be repeated again. Accidents/Natural Disasters happen sure, and we NEED to learn from them.

We need to worry about these things, but not stress over them. This is a problem, this is NOT okay. All over the news you see how fish/birds are dropping dead. If people really think that the the reactor does not have effects elsewhere in the world, they are sadly mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeshush View Post
With Bikini Atoll the radiation got adsorbed by living organisms because "cesium is part of the same chemical family as the plant nutrient potassium".

http://www.bikiniatoll.com/PopularSciArt.html

So I'd think shoreline plants and fish would be affected. But, if the fish are edible round Japan, I wouldn't worry about it.

http://news.msn.com/us/calls-for-sea...-leak-in-japan

"A leak of 300 tons is about 80,000 gallons, but the Pacific Ocean is pretty large compared to that," said Dr. Arjun Makhijani, president of the Institute for Energy and Environmental Research. "So there's a big dilution effect."

Honestly, I'd say there's more risk with mercury poisoning for the average person.
It does not work that way. This is just an excuse. Mutations don't happen overnight, and the effects of such poisoning can come years down the line in forms of cancer. Just because cesium is in the same family as potassium, it is being absorbed in an abnormal abundance, therefore IT IS NOT SAFE!

These wounds can heal but at a cost, and this can't happen again. We lost enough fish/birds because of this.

Last edited by GhostXL; 09-02-2013 at 00:25.

Old
  (#14)
Veeshush
Maha Guru

Default 09-02-2013, 01:38 | posts: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostXL View Post
Just because cesium is in the same family as potassium, it is being absorbed in an abnormal abundance, therefore IT IS NOT SAFE!
Right, lets eat lead paint chips because our bodies will mistake it as calcium.

No, I know this, but with the dilution I'd imagine is less concentrated than Bikini Atoll, or hell, Chernobyl. The graphs would make it seem the ocean will glow at night.

It's not good, no, just as the mass amounts of plastic in the ocean. But as there's no possible way of extracting it, well. If I had to pinpoint a cause other than them just simply not being prepared; the plant was built in the 80s and used earlier generation reactors.

http://www.lordkat.com/blog/2061/ato...rnobyl-ii.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_IV_reactor

Of course with any ****up there's stuff to learn only after it happens and regret.

Old
  (#15)
IcE
Ancient Guru

Default 09-02-2013, 02:58 | posts: 9,051 | Location: Toledo

What's funny is that it was so close to being shut down and decommissioned. The whole incident was some pretty colossal bad luck.

Old
  (#16)
Brasky
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780 SC
Processor: i5-3570K
Mainboard: AsRock Z77e-ITX
Memory: G-Skill Sniper 2133 16gb
Soundcard: Littering and...?
PSU: Silverstone 450
Default 09-02-2013, 04:15 | posts: 1,718 | Location: BBQ Capital of the World

when it spawns Godzilla i'll be concerned, but right now i'm suffering from war apathy, environmentalism apathy and political correctness apathy. sorry.

Old
  (#17)
GhostXL
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 780 SLI @ 1150
Processor: i7 4790K @ 4.8ghz on H90
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus VII HERO Z97
Memory: G.Skill Trident DDR3 2667
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200 watt
Default 09-02-2013, 05:02 | posts: 5,587 | Location: PA, USA

Quote:
Right, lets eat lead paint chips because our bodies will mistake it as calcium.

No, I know this, but with the dilution I'd imagine is less concentrated than Bikini Atoll, or hell, Chernobyl. The graphs would make it seem the ocean will glow at night.

It's not good, no, just as the mass amounts of plastic in the ocean. But as there's no possible way of extracting it, well. If I had to pinpoint a cause other than them just simply not being prepared; the plant was built in the 80s and used earlier generation reactors.

http://www.lordkat.com/blog/2061/ato...rnobyl-ii.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_IV_reactor

Of course with any ****up there's stuff to learn only after it happens and regret.
My point is the more we take stuff like this lightly, the more we screw up the planet. "Dilution" just screams excuse to a big problem to make it seem better than what it really is. I just hate hearing crap like that, just to make themselves look good.

Last edited by GhostXL; 09-02-2013 at 05:05.

Old
  (#18)
Veeshush
Maha Guru

Default 09-02-2013, 05:37 | posts: 836

While on the topic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_...ioactive_waste

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostXL View Post
My point is the more we take stuff like this lightly, the more we screw up the planet.
But it's not even "us" that are the issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_pollution

When you have **** like "the 'Ndrangheta, an Italian mafia syndicate, was accused of sinking at least 30 ships loaded with toxic waste, much of it radioactive. This has led to widespread investigations into radioactive-waste disposal rackets."

or

"Since the end of World War II, various nations, including the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Germany, have disposed of chemical weapons in the Baltic Sea, raising concerns of environmental contamination"

You realize no amount of activism or public influence really matters when it comes to people looking to dump their **** and do it cheap and easy.

Old
  (#19)
Taint3dBulge
Maha Guru

Default 09-02-2013, 07:33 | posts: 1,068 | Location: South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_ice_Spain View Post
It's one of the points . The whole point is how it affects humanity, and we are a part of it.
Yes this is it. It might not be a big deal "now" but how about for our kids, and ours kids kids. This **** has a half life of 30 years. By the looks of it we wont see any kind of true "clean up" for probably 10 years. Its just to toxic and to much for our technological know how to clean up.

Quote:
https://www.google.com/#q=fish+die+off+pacific+ocean

Ya its been over 2 years and its getting worse by the day. How long before we start seeing the effects. Oh wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CronoGraal View Post
Had two atom bombs dropped on them and they're now one of the world's leading in various industries. I think they'll be fine.
Ya and one rod outa the 1000's that they have, per spent pool pond, are 14,000 times more radioactive then the bombs dropped. well according to the nuclear scientist's anyways. Its just stuff that us normal everyday people that think they know alittle of atomic energy, really dont know and need to find out the real information. I know iv learned so much in the past few years about this **** that when i talk about it people think im just making **** up. Sure something's you read on the web arn't true. It's when you hear/read things from actual scientists, and ther publications. Things become more coherent.

Quote:
While on the topic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_...ioactive_waste

But it's not even "us" that are the issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_pollution

When you have **** like "the 'Ndrangheta, an Italian mafia syndicate, was accused of sinking at least 30 ships loaded with toxic waste, much of it radioactive. This has led to widespread investigations into radioactive-waste disposal rackets."

or

"Since the end of World War II, various nations, including the Soviet Union, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Germany, have disposed of chemical weapons in the Baltic Sea, raising concerns of environmental contamination"

You realize no amount of activism or public influence really matters when it comes to people looking to dump their **** and do it cheap and easy.
Think of those 30 ships as afew days of natural release from fukushima.

I dont want to sound like an alarmist or try to make people panic. Im just putting out the information. Im concerned about my future kids.. How f@cked would it be to never be able to swim in the ocean. It could get to that point. I hope and pray that they "tepco" and the rest of the world forces are able to put a stop to the pollution of our precious water and the species that live in it. Its just more sad then anything. We only live once and i want my kids to experience a swim int he ocean without the harmful effects of cancer. Iv seen a loved one die from it once. Never again do i want to see that!

Last edited by Taint3dBulge; 09-02-2013 at 07:43.

Old
  (#20)
Taint3dBulge
Maha Guru

Default 09-02-2013, 07:57 | posts: 1,068 | Location: South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE View Post
Lol, sucks for Japan, but it's their own fault for not taking the proper measures and just expecting TEPCO to deal with it themselves. And don't start that nonsense again about how it's a world issue and that everyone is doomed. What happened after Chernobyl? World kept going as normal. What happened after over 2,000 nuclear tests? World kept going as normal.

That's not to say that this isn't important to deal with, but the construction of a proper holding tank facility instead of this hobbled nonsense should have been done ages ago or at least been started.
I keep reading this over and over. Thinking to myself. Chernobyl. By itself was bad bad bad.. yes it was the worst explosion and worst "initial" release of radioactive plums. However... Chernobyl is pretty much buried. Not really too threatening after the initial explosion. While Fuku will be threatening for many years to come. Its all because of the ground water and the water drainage from the mountains above. This is not as threatening atmospherically per say. But the daily release into the ocean is far more threatening in the long term.

2,000 nuclear tests are not nearly as bad as one spent fuel rod burning. which would equal 14,000 Hiroshima bombs. Well thats what iv herd anyways.

Its all just unknowns. I really dont think even the scientists really know.

Old
  (#21)
IcE
Ancient Guru

Default 09-02-2013, 13:31 | posts: 9,051 | Location: Toledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taint3dBulge View Post
I keep reading this over and over. Thinking to myself. Chernobyl. By itself was bad bad bad.. yes it was the worst explosion and worst "initial" release of radioactive plums. However... Chernobyl is pretty much buried. Not really too threatening after the initial explosion. While Fuku will be threatening for many years to come. Its all because of the ground water and the water drainage from the mountains above. This is not as threatening atmospherically per say. But the daily release into the ocean is far more threatening in the long term.

2,000 nuclear tests are not nearly as bad as one spent fuel rod burning. which would equal 14,000 Hiroshima bombs. Well thats what iv herd anyways.

Its all just unknowns. I really dont think even the scientists really know.
Chernobyl is still incredibly threatening, actually. The concrete coffin that was built to cover it is nearing collapse from time and disrepair. So until they finish that steel dome that they should have started building 10 years ago, it's still a real threat. A collapse would send an absurd amount of radioactive dust into the air and reunite the still highly radioactive core with the air.

Also, even if we were legitimately trying to ruin the Earth with radioactivity it would be damn near impossible. 71% of the Earth is covered by oceans. I'm sure if you did the math to find out how much radioactive drainage would be needed to hit the water to be a meaningful, harming percentage, it would be decades worth.

Old
  (#22)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HIS 7870 IceQ GHz 2GB
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.3 w/YASYA
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97
Memory: 8GB G.Skill 1866
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Xtreme
PSU: TT Toughpower XT 675
Default 09-02-2013, 18:01 | posts: 2,924 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

All of these incidents and spills have long term consequences. This is a bit off topic, but if anyone thinks the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico isn't still affecting ecosystems in the gulf and Atlantic Oceans, they are kidding themselves or are ignorant to the science involved. The same goes for nuclear waste, although a different animal entirely. I don't know about Tainted's math on the Hiroshima bombs thing, but he is right when he argues the long term effects.

Old
  (#23)
Veeshush
Maha Guru

Default 09-02-2013, 22:09 | posts: 836

Quote:
Think of those 30 ships as afew days of natural release from fukushima.
And those are only the ones we know about. I can't imagine the ones we don't.

Quote:
I dont want to sound like an alarmist or try to make people panic. Im just putting out the information. Im concerned about my future kids.. How f@cked would it be to never be able to swim in the ocean.!
No, I do agree that water ecosystems and the like are just incredibly ****ed these days. Rivers and ocean near big cities are just so completely ****ed. And then the lakes everywhere are affected by invasive species, hell zebra mussels are in practically every lake in the US. Chemical dumping. All of it is a reality, and most of it has happened in the last few hundred years as population and industrial growth happened.

But, I don't also want to see people protesting things like nuclear power. "432 operable civil nuclear power nuclear reactors around the world" compared to the ones that have failed.

http://world-nuclear.org/Nuclear-Bas...lear-reactors/

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE View Post
Also, even if we were legitimately trying to ruin the Earth with radioactivity it would be damn near impossible.
While I do agree it'd take a hell of a lot to **** the planet up and that probably something more space related would be the only thing to make our planet a dead planet, I'd also say we do have the ability to make the world a place pretty ****ty to live on in our lifetimes.

Old
  (#24)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HIS HD 6870
Processor: I3-2120
Mainboard: ASRock H61icafe
Memory: 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1333
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: PC Power&Cooling S61EPS
Default 09-03-2013, 00:13 | posts: 2,883 | Location: Evans Ga,USA

Aging nukes; What replaces them?...Not sure if this fits here...But...>http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...replaces-them/

I live next to >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogtle_...nerating_Plant

I have a lot of buddy's that make good money there!...But plant vogtle is also adding on 2 new reactors...$$$....economy looks good around the site...

"In 2009, the NRC renewed the licenses for both units for an additional 20 years, to the 2040s.[5] Groundwork for two additional AP1000 reactors is underway"

Last edited by airbud7; 09-03-2013 at 01:24.

Old
  (#25)
Taint3dBulge
Maha Guru

Default 09-05-2013, 02:37 | posts: 1,068 | Location: South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSparil View Post
All of these incidents and spills have long term consequences. This is a bit off topic, but if anyone thinks the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico isn't still affecting ecosystems in the gulf and Atlantic Oceans, they are kidding themselves or are ignorant to the science involved. The same goes for nuclear waste, although a different animal entirely. I don't know about Tainted's math on the Hiroshima bombs thing, but he is right when he argues the long term effects.
Well, in the video it said scientists say one rod, if exploded, would be release 14,000 times more radioactivity then the Hiroshima bomb. Maybe my math is wrong, but wouldnt that also be equal to 14,000 bombs dropped.. Ofcourse that many bombs exploding in one place would have less of an effect as to 14,000 bombs exploding all over.. donno. Anyways there was a 6.5 eq near japan just yesterday 9-3.. Thats the thing that could **** everything up. If all those containers would rupture and all those rods start burning in the above storage pools....... well you get the picture. Of course thats worst case scenario. I guess i just always think of the worst thing that could happen.