Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Steve Ballmer to leave Microsoft CEO post in a year
Old
  (#1)
WhiteLightning
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780GTX ACX
Processor: i7-2600k HT @ 4.5 +H70 PP
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING
Memory: Gskill 2133Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 1000 watt
Default Steve Ballmer to leave Microsoft CEO post in a year - 08-23-2013, 14:32 | posts: 23,370 | Location: Hoek van Holland, Netherlands

Quote:
Microsoft Corp. said Friday that CEO Steve Ballmer plans to retire within the next 12 months, depending on when a successor is chosen.

"There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time," Ballmer said in a statement.

Ballmer said he is retiring earlier than he originally expected because his initial plans would have put his retirement in the middle of the technology company’s massive planned transformation. He said stepping down now allows a new CEO to lead the company in a new direction.

The board of directors has formed a committee, which includes Chairman and Founder Bill Gates, to find a replacement.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6027038.story

Old
  (#2)
dark_surge
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB
Processor: Intel i7 3820 @4.0
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: G.SKILL DDR3 1600 16GB
Soundcard: X-FI Fatal1ty PCI-E
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 08-23-2013, 14:46 | posts: 794 | Location: ND - US

The meeting room chairs at MS headquarters let out a sigh of relief.

I know a lot of people are going to praise his departure but Steve was probably one of the last originals left in MS so it's sad to see him go. Plus, I liked his over-stimulated demeanor. Still, it'll be interesting to see what the future brings with him gone.

C'ya, Steve. Have fun wading around in your swimming pool full of hundred dollar bills.

Old
  (#3)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 08-23-2013, 15:11 | posts: 6,776 | Location: Dubai

Ballmer is leaving?! Best news for Microsoft in a long time

Old
  (#4)
RavenMaster
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x EVGA GTX 780's SLI
Processor: Core i7 4960X 4.0ghz
Mainboard: Asus RIVE Black Edition
Memory: 32GB DDR3 Corsair 1600mhz
Soundcard: Creative SB ZXR
PSU: CM Silent Pro Gold 1200w
Default 08-23-2013, 15:21 | posts: 524 | Location: UK

Wooooooohooooooooooo partyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Old
  (#5)
S_IV
Member Guru

Videocard: GTX770 Windforce/660 phsx
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K
Mainboard: MSI H77MA-G43
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
Soundcard: Philips HTR-9900 7+1 HT
PSU: Seasonic 620W
Default 08-23-2013, 15:24 | posts: 136 | Location: Istanbul

Just take a look at Xbox One, Surface, Windows 8 and leave Microsoft already Ballmer. And never forget what you have done to live messenger, msn space, technet subscriptions and so on.

Old
  (#6)
WindtalkerCS
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x EVGA GTX 280's
Processor: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X58-UD5
Memory: OCZ PC-12800 3x2gig
Soundcard: Presonus Firepod
PSU: Enermax Revolution 1050w
Default 08-23-2013, 15:24 | posts: 440 | Location: Upstate NY

Choosing to retire is probably the best decisions Ballmer will have made during his tenure as CEO

Old
  (#7)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7950 Vapor-X 1175/1550
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.8
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatal1ty
PSU: AcBel M8 750
Default 08-23-2013, 16:31 | posts: 24,021 | Location: NZ

I wonder how much the Windows 8 debacle had to do with his departure.

Last edited by Pill Monster; 08-23-2013 at 16:38.

Old
  (#8)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 670 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default 08-23-2013, 16:53 | posts: 1,209 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Monster View Post
I wonder how much the Windows 8 debacle had to do with his departure.
Not really a debacle, just a few disgruntled Windows users because of a button.

Windows is not the only product Microsoft release - they got billions coming in from all angles and a ton of products and services, not to mention the global supply chain.

Exits at this level are planned years in advance; it's not like working at a coffee shop where you can be replaced in 24 hours and the manager can carry out your duties until the end of the shift.

Steve has had a very good run, best of luck to him, not that he'll need it.

Old
  (#9)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Default 08-23-2013, 17:28 | posts: 24,021 | Location: NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobyluggs View Post
Not really a debacle, just a few disgruntled Windows users because of a button.
13% user migration is very much a debacle. Sales are worse than Vista, and Vista was bad.

Quote:
Windows is not the only product Microsoft release - they got billions coming in from all angles and a ton of products and services, not to mention the global supply chain.
You don't say.....?

Quote:
Exits at this level are planned years in advance; it's not like working at a coffee shop where you can be replaced in 24 hours and the manager can carry out your duties until the end of the shift.
Sure, that's basically what Dan Rather said after he was pushed from CBS for slandering George Bush - "oh I was going to retire anyway"..

Last edited by Pill Monster; 08-24-2013 at 16:09.

Old
  (#10)
H83
Maha Guru

Videocard: Pallit GTX570
Processor: Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5Q DELUXE
Memory: G. Skill 4G DDR2 @1130MHz
Soundcard: Sound Blaster SB Audigy
PSU: Corsair TX 850W V2
Default 08-23-2013, 19:00 | posts: 1,300 | Location: Mars

Finally!!!

Old
  (#11)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 770 Classified
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Seasonic X-850
Default 08-23-2013, 21:42 | posts: 13,418 | Location: USA

Quote:
13% user migration is very much a debacle. Sales are worse than Vista, and Vista was bad.
Are you sure about that?

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-more-...ld-7000014957/

Old
  (#12)
IcE
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: i5 3570K @4.0
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: SBZ + Aune T1 + CAL
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 08-23-2013, 21:47 | posts: 9,103 | Location: Toledo

MS stock jumped 9% after this announcement. With that said Windows 8 was not a "debacle". Casual users generally love it. Only people who are stubborn and used to doing things one way forever don't think it's an improvement.

Old
  (#13)
CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 3GB HD7970OC/2GB HD7770
Processor: 4770K@4.5GHz/Q6600@3.6GHz
Mainboard: Z87-GD65 / P5K PREMIUM
Memory: 16GB@1866MHz/4GB@1066MHz
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: 1200W/900W
Default 08-23-2013, 21:56 | posts: 5,823 | Location: Wolverhampton/United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE View Post
MS stock jumped 9% after this announcement. With that said Windows 8 was not a "debacle". Casual users generally love it. Only people who are stubborn and used to doing things one way forever don't think it's an improvement.
No no and little more no.

Since Windows 8 has been widely available and pre installed on 90% of desktops and laptops sold, I have literally lost count of how many I have been given to reformat with and I quote "The old style this thing is useless" a few I have installed the third party apps like Start8, etc and some have been happy with that.

I know I am just one person and there are thousands out there still using and happy with W8, and it is a very efficient, snappy, and well optimized OS, but you have to admit Microsoft made a massive mistake with W8 and "New UI".

Its just clunky, and needless and god damn horrid to look at. If they really wanted to have people use it they should of installed a better tutorial on the OS to show people how and why its better.

Its like if car manufacturers suddenly thought you know the standard, from left to right Gear, Brake, Accelerator, configuration everyone is used to lets change that and put it the other way round. You know what happens, people crash or simply don't buy it.

Old
  (#14)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Realtek® ALC887-VD
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 08-23-2013, 22:36 | posts: 16,434 | Location: US East Coast

Shareholders wanted Ballmer gone and I'm sure he was well aware of it. The fact Shareholders are now sueing MS over [unlawful] misrepresentation of financial data (namely, hiding WinRT sales figures to give the impression that WinRT is selling better than it actually is).

Ballmer even went so far as to say that his leaving is in the best interest of MS.... Under Ballmer, MS had a lot of failures. The Xbox "RRoD" issue. The KinOne and KinTwo debacle.... He let the mobile computing market (which MS dominated at one time) slip away. Zune was handled horribly wrong. Windows Phone has been handled very poorly. Vista had a late launch.... The company has stumbled along in the consumer market for the last 13 years. They need someone in charge that's willing to respond to (or even create) emerging market trends not simply ignore them until it's too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhazeDelta1 View Post
Sales figures and usage figures are very different.... The usage figures presented by web based tracking show a much lower usage count than MS wants people to believe (which is why they won't divulge usage data).

Old
  (#15)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Default 08-23-2013, 22:40 | posts: 24,021 | Location: NZ

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed

Summary:
The numbers are in and they don't lie. Windows 8 market adoption numbers are well behind Microsoft's greatest previous operating system failure, Vista.
http://www.zdnet.com/five-reasons-wh...ed-7000012104/

Last edited by Pill Monster; 08-23-2013 at 22:43.

Old
  (#16)
---TK---
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780Ti SLI/Qnix 2710 100Hz
Processor: 2600k 4.5Ghz HT On
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 08-23-2013, 23:20 | posts: 18,403 | Location: New Jersey, USA

Did he have a hand in windows me? If so let him burn in hell

Old
  (#17)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 670 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default 08-23-2013, 23:27 | posts: 1,209 | Location: UK

Quote:

Sure, that's basically what Dan Rather said after he was pushed from NBC for slandering George Bush - "oh I was going to retire anyway"..
Okay, I'll put the Win8 down for now - I was just clarifying there is a great deal more to Microsoft than a desktop operating system update and you can't judge a CEO for something which falls under the responsibility of the person who actually deployed it.

And, hate to disagree with you on this, but a CEO of Microsoft is a lot more entrenched and harder to replace than a newscaster. I mean, I could read a teleprompter, it's not hard y'know.

I had to look up who Dan Rather is, as I don't watch american teevee or any other teevee.

Pretty much gave it up after I got broadband 8 years ago.

Old
  (#18)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Default 08-23-2013, 23:30 | posts: 24,021 | Location: NZ

Quote:
Wow Zednet's credibility just took a severe beating. They really need to hire some proper journo's instead of bloggers.

First we have THE TRUTH from a real editor;

Followed by some major damage control by "freelance blogger" Mary Joe Foley.

According to her profile:
Quote:
Quote:
Mary Jo Foley has covered the tech industry for 25 years for a variety of publications, including ZDNet, eWeek and Baseline. She is the author of Microsoft 2.0: How Microsoft plans to stay relevant in the post-Gates era (John Wiley & Sons, 2008).
Quote:
I do not own Microsoft stock or stock in any of its partners or competitors. I have no business ventures that are sponsored by Microsoft or any of its partners or competitors.
According to Mary Jo, W8 sales are booming... Wow 100 MILLION? (sure sounds like a lot....a lot like a spin)

And then some slight backtracking....

Followed by a 15min interview where the most glaringly obvious question was never asked: WHY are you retiring?

And......

Quote:

Q: So when did you finally decide?

Ballmer:

Officially, a day or two ago.
We had a board call.
....................... we finalized that this was the right path forward.

Last edited by Pill Monster; 08-24-2013 at 02:34.

Old
  (#19)
Doug
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD 4870/GTX260
Processor: E6750 @ 3.3GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
Memory: 6GB OCZ Platinum 800Mhz
PSU: Corsair HX620
Default 08-23-2013, 23:33 | posts: 4,957 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_surge View Post
C'ya, Steve. Have fun wading around in your swimming pool full of hundred dollar bills.
My thoughts too lol

I used to work at a posh boat marina as an IT tech and shortly before I worked there Steve Ballmer had visited. His boat was so big he just leaves it out in the ocean and takes a smaller (still big..) yacht out like Thunderbird 2 and sailed that in to the marina..

Old
  (#20)
IcE
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: i5 3570K @4.0
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: SBZ + Aune T1 + CAL
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 08-24-2013, 00:00 | posts: 9,103 | Location: Toledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPC_RedDawn View Post
No no and little more no.

Since Windows 8 has been widely available and pre installed on 90% of desktops and laptops sold, I have literally lost count of how many I have been given to reformat with and I quote "The old style this thing is useless" a few I have installed the third party apps like Start8, etc and some have been happy with that.

I know I am just one person and there are thousands out there still using and happy with W8, and it is a very efficient, snappy, and well optimized OS, but you have to admit Microsoft made a massive mistake with W8 and "New UI".

Its just clunky, and needless and god damn horrid to look at. If they really wanted to have people use it they should of installed a better tutorial on the OS to show people how and why its better.

Its like if car manufacturers suddenly thought you know the standard, from left to right Gear, Brake, Accelerator, configuration everyone is used to lets change that and put it the other way round. You know what happens, people crash or simply don't buy it.
Clunky no, "needless and horrid to look at" quite subjective. Once you understand that metro is simply a different start menu, you start to understand that Windows 8 is a logical next step. People literally just can't comprehend when something they use often is changed. Change = automatically worse in the world of computing, probably because people have a hard enough time as it is using them (somehow). With that said, I don't know who your customers are, but I'm around college students all the time, and I've rarely found people that didn't think Windows 8 was better.

Also, I know how Pill is on a roll with showing how Windows 8 is more of a failure, but going by adoption rate isn't really a fair comparison given PC sales are down overall. Tablets and smartphones are king now.

Old
  (#21)
CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 3GB HD7970OC/2GB HD7770
Processor: 4770K@4.5GHz/Q6600@3.6GHz
Mainboard: Z87-GD65 / P5K PREMIUM
Memory: 16GB@1866MHz/4GB@1066MHz
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: 1200W/900W
Default 08-24-2013, 00:17 | posts: 5,823 | Location: Wolverhampton/United Kingdom

Quote:
Clunky no, "needless and horrid to look at" quite subjective. Once you understand that metro is simply a different start menu, you start to understand that Windows 8 is a logical next step. People literally just can't comprehend when something they use often is changed. Change = automatically worse in the world of computing, probably because people have a hard enough time as it is using them (somehow). With that said, I don't know who your customers are, but I'm around college students all the time, and I've rarely found people that didn't think Windows 8 was better.

Also, I know how Pill is on a roll with showing how Windows 8 is more of a failure, but going by adoption rate isn't really a fair comparison given PC sales are down overall. Tablets and smartphones are king now.
Like I said, I am only one person and no matter how many laptops, and desktops I have reformatted to W7 (someone actually wanted XP back lol they liked the color hehe) that does not 100% say that W8 is a failure but I have been in computing now now for almost fifteen years and I have never seen so many people not wanting W8 on their new devices, with how bad Vista was as well I never had that many people ask me to reformat back to XP and after SP2 it was an decent OS.

Also, I never said change was a bad thing, it just has to be done right for it to be accepted.

Change in the PC world is great, that's what makes a PC a PC, its personal to you, its customized to you. Changing out parts from newer ones is one of the best things there is about the PC, you should know that.

EDIT:

I will 100% agree that tablets and smartphones have damaged Windows a lot!

here is bill gates avoiding talking about Ipad LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLUSnPB08kc

Old
  (#22)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Default 08-24-2013, 00:44 | posts: 24,021 | Location: NZ

Quote:
r.

Ballmer thought the same way.
The thing is, desktop sales may have slowed but that doesn't mean there are less of them. Every person who has a smartphone also has a PC/Laptop.....and that's not including the commercial sector.

One reason (just one) for example that XP users didn't flock to Vista was because a 64bit OS was unnecessary at that time. Things were different by the time W7 came around, 4GB ram was min. For those with W7 right now there really isn't the same incentive or necessity to upgrade.

Last edited by Pill Monster; 08-24-2013 at 01:00.

Old
  (#23)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 670 FTW Sli H2O/780 TFIV
Processor: 2600k@4.8 H2O/2500k@4.5
Mainboard: P8Z68-V PRO/P8Z77-V
Memory: corsair ddr3 8GB@1866
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus/onboard
PSU: Corsair HX850w/TX850w
Default 08-24-2013, 01:03 | posts: 5,318 | Location: FLA,USA

Quote:

Had to "fix" a W8 laptop the other day for a co-worker (his son installed a bunch of crapware that slowed an already slow laptop down to a crawl) and there are actually a few features that I do like on it but still seems a bit half-assed at times.

Old
  (#24)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Realtek® ALC887-VD
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 08-24-2013, 02:21 | posts: 16,434 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---TK--- View Post
Did he have a hand in windows me? If so let him burn in hell
He was the in-coming CEO at WinME's launch but wasn't responsible for it. Prior to becoming CEO, he had no hand in any products.

Quote:
Wow Zednet's credibility just took a severe beating. They really need to hire some proper journo's instead of bloggers.

First we have an article by "freelance blogger" Mary Joe Foley.

According to her profile:
According to Mary Jo, W8 sales are booming... Wow 100 MILLION? (sure sounds like a lot....a lot like a spin)

Followed by a 15min interview where the most glaringly obvious question was never asked: WHY are you retiring?

And......
Sorry Pill, had to remove the images....lol

The reason he's retiring? I doubt he'd even actually admit to. With Shareholders suing MS for misrepresenting financial data and the possibility of an S.E.C. investigation....I'm sure the board did the responsible thing and offered Ballmer the option of "retirement" or replacement....

Old
  (#25)
k1net1cs
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
Processor: Intel Core i5-520M 2.4GHz
Mainboard: Sony VAIO VPCEA16FG
Memory: 2x4GB CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar U3
PSU: n/a
Default 08-24-2013, 06:04 | posts: 3,711

Pill never ceases to amaze me for taking things out of context due to (probably) not understanding the context at all, especially with that Mary Jo bit. =b

As per your own screenshot, Pill, it read:
Quote:
Microsoft officials said on May 6 that ...
Microsoft officials said that, not Mary Jo.
So whatever her conclusion was in that article was solely based on the numbers the Microsofties gave her at that time.

Also, that article was published around 2 months later after the article that slagged Win8 sales was published.
Hardly 'damage control', much less of it being 'major'.

And 'backtracking' just because of something Ballmer said publicly on 2008?
Wut?

Interested in folding with fellow gurus? Click here to get you started!