Windows 8.1 build 9471 x64 has leaked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Windows 8.1 build 9471 has leaked which is the first leak in several months for the Windows 8.1 platform. This build, unlike some of the previous builds, is for the x64 architecture. This is the first...

Windows 8.1 build 9471 x64 has leaked

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    So I guess you are classing me as a brain dead moron? As I have Windows 8, and I have hardly any issues with it.

4. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    well it's not that damn start button or menu. i used to get excited with every leak about Windows betas. i remember those longhorn and blackcomb days, in websites such as deviantart there were millions of Vista themes or clones. but now, a full screen calc., an app about health and fitness or an orange toyish dragon background whatever. so sad.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Perhaps you need to look at how dominant Tablets and Smartphones are?

6. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I love windows 8. It's faster and more stable than Win7.

7. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    So, any ideas about why the marketshare of win8 is stucked at 5% ?

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Because no one needs a PC anymore. Also a Tablet or Smartphone can do pretty much anything a PC can.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Funny, you want to start war here? Why are you using your PC then, hm?

Go play with a smart-phone you smart-ass.

10. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Windows 8 > Windows 7
    As soon as you get used to it, the better..

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't see how you can compare a feature rich service pack to full builds of a new operating system like Vista. 8.1 is intended to fix a bunch of very specific problems the platform has and that's it.

Microsoft needs to rethink it's entire strategy if they plan on competing with Google and Apple in the mobile space.

While his post was worded poorly his point is still correct. The vast majority of general users aren't buying PC's. I know several people who have bought iPads, gen 2 and 3's that have completely replaced their laptop and desktop PC's. Moving forward these people are not going to be buying traditional computers anymore.

As mobile processing becomes more powerful, there will be even less of a need for desktop and laptops. Just dock phones to everything and run it all on there.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I play games on my PC. I use my phone to check emails etc on the go. Always good to have a constructive argument, unlike yourself.

13. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Like Ghosty said constructive argument without calling eachother names....ontopic i like 8 allot and,you need time to get used to it.On the other hand when 7 came out i hated the looks of aero so much,i always ran it on classic view.Windows 8 desktop looks are good and if you need a certain app you can find it easily.

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050

I have gone for a more basic approach to the Metro screen.

[​IMG]

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Woooooooooooooow wait a minute, you're in the wildstar beta?? You like it?

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It's pretty good, yes. :)

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have you had fun trying to bypass the single app only in Assigned Access accounts yet ?

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Never come across that before.

19. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    People seem to forget about the real Windows/PC usage stats. While you may see figures of 5% market share, and 'PC sales at a loss this quatter', etc etc, this is quite far from the truth.

None of these surveys take into account the fact that there are MILLIONS of unrecorded, unlicensed, pirated copies of Windows out there, especially windows 8. Probably just as many copies are pirated as there are sold. This is NEVER taken into consideration.

Secondly, in relation to PC sales, in the last 5-8 years building your own PC has become so massive and so comman that most people source components and build rather than purchase OEM systems from Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. These figures are also never taken into consideration, and I find it very irritating.

Anyhow, back on track - Windows 8 is fantastic. Im using 8.1 preview and I love it, never have an issue with it at all. I have little use for Modern UI, I just use it as a glorified app launcher.

EDIT: I do also have a Surface running Windows 8.1 and it is a wonderful tablet experience.

20. PinchedNerve

PinchedNerve Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte AORUS 1080 Ti XE
    I had Win8 since release & always hated the UI. I was really hoping they would give an option for classic menu some day. When 8.1 came out I was pretty disappointed that the start button just went to the same full screen Icon based garbage & reformated 3 of my PC's back to Win7, 3 days after 8.1 preview.

I fully understand the mobile market & why your finger & swiping work extremely well on those devices.

My question is. Why, why couldn't MS just gave everyone the option for the new UI & classic menu? For those of us that will not be abandoning our KB/M desktops anytime soon. Why the hell force me into a UI that works great on a touch display with your finger when I am sitting at my desk with a KB/M & no touch screen?

I really think the option for the classic menu would have been abandon pretty quickly for the new UI if you were on a "Mobile Device" & the new UI would be abandon if you had a "KB/M desktop"... Its ok to have both for 2 very different situations...

Win8 really could have been a win/win if it had both the new UI for mobile users & the classic menu for Dtop users. God forbid you satisfy both situations with options for both situations!