Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Windows 8.1 build 9471 x64 has leaked
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Windows 8.1 build 9471 x64 has leaked - 08-12-2013, 08:38 | posts: 21,561 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Windows 8.1 build 9471 has leaked which is the first leak in several months for the Windows 8.1 platform. This build, unlike some of the previous builds, is for the x64 architecture. This is the first...

Windows 8.1 build 9471 x64 has leaked

Old
  (#2)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: EVGA 850w Supernova soon
Default 08-12-2013, 08:51 | posts: 7,098 | Location: Dubai

Old
  (#3)
Khronikos
Member Guru

Videocard: 770 4GB @ 1200MHz
Processor: i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z68A-G43 (B3)
Memory: HyperX 4GBx2
Soundcard: Denon 2112ci/HDMI/BeyerD
PSU: Corsair 750TX V2
Default 08-12-2013, 13:33 | posts: 113

People will stay with Win7 as long as possible. That looks horrific. The UI of some braindead moron out to grab casuals. NO THANKS. And if this keeps up I will switch OS's completely because when they dump 7 you know there will be more options out there.

Old
  (#4)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 08-12-2013, 13:35 | posts: 3,473 | Location: UK

So I guess you are classing me as a brain dead moron? As I have Windows 8, and I have hardly any issues with it.

Old
  (#5)
S_IV
Member Guru

Videocard: GTX770 Windforce/660 phsx
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K
Mainboard: MSI H77MA-G43
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
Soundcard: Philips HTR-9900 7+1 HT
PSU: Seasonic 620W
Default 08-12-2013, 13:36 | posts: 136 | Location: Istanbul

well it's not that damn start button or menu. i used to get excited with every leak about Windows betas. i remember those longhorn and blackcomb days, in websites such as deviantart there were millions of Vista themes or clones. but now, a full screen calc., an app about health and fitness or an orange toyish dragon background whatever. so sad.

Old
  (#6)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 08-12-2013, 13:46 | posts: 3,473 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_IV View Post
well it's not that damn start button or menu. i used to get excited with every leak about Windows betas. i remember those longhorn and blackcomb days, in websites such as deviantart there were millions of Vista themes or clones. but now, a full screen calc., an app about health and fitness or an orange toyish dragon background whatever. so sad.
Perhaps you need to look at how dominant Tablets and Smartphones are?

Old
  (#7)
mR Yellow
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 290 Acel XIII
Processor: Intel i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ CL8
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX
PSU: Corsair TX 850W
Default 08-12-2013, 13:47 | posts: 839 | Location: South Africa

I love windows 8. It's faster and more stable than Win7.

Old
  (#8)
S_IV
Member Guru

Default 08-12-2013, 13:54 | posts: 136 | Location: Istanbul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
Perhaps you need to look at how dominant Tablets and Smartphones are?
So, any ideas about why the marketshare of win8 is stucked at 5% ?

Old
  (#9)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 08-12-2013, 14:04 | posts: 3,473 | Location: UK

Quote:
So, any ideas about why the marketshare of win8 is stucked at 5% ?
Because no one needs a PC anymore. Also a Tablet or Smartphone can do pretty much anything a PC can.

Old
  (#10)
Undying
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 280X
Processor: i5 @ 4.8Ghz
Memory: 16GB
Default 08-12-2013, 14:11 | posts: 4,354 | Location: Serbia, NS

Quote:
Because no one needs a PC anymore. Also a Tablet or Smartphone can do pretty much anything a PC can.
Funny, you want to start war here? Why are you using your PC then, hm?

Go play with a smart-phone you smart-ass.

Old
  (#11)
Memorian
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G
Processor: i5-3570K@4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77X UD3H
Memory: 8GB G.Skill
Soundcard: SB Audigy
PSU: TT 750W
Default 08-12-2013, 14:13 | posts: 2,027 | Location: Beyond the coast

Windows 8 > Windows 7
As soon as you get used to it, the better..

Old
  (#12)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 08-12-2013, 14:17 | posts: 7,245 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
I don't see how you can compare a feature rich service pack to full builds of a new operating system like Vista. 8.1 is intended to fix a bunch of very specific problems the platform has and that's it.

Microsoft needs to rethink it's entire strategy if they plan on competing with Google and Apple in the mobile space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undying View Post

While his post was worded poorly his point is still correct. The vast majority of general users aren't buying PC's. I know several people who have bought iPads, gen 2 and 3's that have completely replaced their laptop and desktop PC's. Moving forward these people are not going to be buying traditional computers anymore.

As mobile processing becomes more powerful, there will be even less of a need for desktop and laptops. Just dock phones to everything and run it all on there.

Last edited by Denial; 08-12-2013 at 14:23.

Old
  (#13)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 08-12-2013, 14:20 | posts: 3,473 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undying View Post

I play games on my PC. I use my phone to check emails etc on the go. Always good to have a constructive argument, unlike yourself.

Last edited by Ghosty; 08-12-2013 at 14:22.

Old
  (#14)
weasel
Master Guru

Videocard: Evga GTX 980 SC & GTX 770
Processor: 3930K@4.4 & 4790K@4.6
Mainboard: Gigabyte X79UP4&Asus Z97C
Memory: Gskill2133 & Corsair1600
Soundcard: Asus D2X&logitech G430
PSU: HX850&TX650v2
Default 08-12-2013, 14:29 | posts: 421 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
I play games on my PC. I use my phone to check emails etc on the go. Always good to have a constructive argument, unlike yourself.
Like Ghosty said constructive argument without calling eachother names....ontopic i like 8 allot and,you need time to get used to it.On the other hand when 7 came out i hated the looks of aero so much,i always ran it on classic view.Windows 8 desktop looks are good and if you need a certain app you can find it easily.

Old
  (#15)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 08-12-2013, 14:36 | posts: 3,473 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel View Post
Like Ghosty said constructive argument without calling eachother names....ontopic i like 8 allot and,you need time to get used to it.On the other hand when 7 came out i hated the looks of aero so much,i always ran it on classic view.Windows 8 desktop looks are good and if you need a certain app you can find it easily.

I have gone for a more basic approach to the Metro screen.

Old
  (#16)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Default 08-12-2013, 14:44 | posts: 7,245 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
I have gone for a more basic approach to the Metro screen.
Woooooooooooooow wait a minute, you're in the wildstar beta?? You like it?

Old
  (#17)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 08-12-2013, 14:49 | posts: 3,473 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
Woooooooooooooow wait a minute, you're in the wildstar beta?? You like it?
It's pretty good, yes.

Old
  (#18)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0 4GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: 5.1 Surround
PSU: Corsair TX950
Default 08-12-2013, 14:53 | posts: 7,563 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
It's pretty good, yes.
Have you had fun trying to bypass the single app only in Assigned Access accounts yet ?

Old
  (#19)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 08-12-2013, 15:25 | posts: 3,473 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
Have you had fun trying to bypass the single app only in Assigned Access accounts yet ?
Never come across that before.

Last edited by Ghosty; 08-12-2013 at 15:29.

Old
  (#20)
nakquada
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 780 Ti OC
Processor: Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
Soundcard: SB Zx + Edifier S550 5.1
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 08-12-2013, 15:34 | posts: 316 | Location: Kildare, Ireland

People seem to forget about the real Windows/PC usage stats. While you may see figures of 5% market share, and 'PC sales at a loss this quatter', etc etc, this is quite far from the truth.

None of these surveys take into account the fact that there are MILLIONS of unrecorded, unlicensed, pirated copies of Windows out there, especially windows 8. Probably just as many copies are pirated as there are sold. This is NEVER taken into consideration.

Secondly, in relation to PC sales, in the last 5-8 years building your own PC has become so massive and so comman that most people source components and build rather than purchase OEM systems from Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. These figures are also never taken into consideration, and I find it very irritating.

Anyhow, back on track - Windows 8 is fantastic. Im using 8.1 preview and I love it, never have an issue with it at all. I have little use for Modern UI, I just use it as a glorified app launcher.

EDIT: I do also have a Surface running Windows 8.1 and it is a wonderful tablet experience.

Last edited by nakquada; 08-12-2013 at 15:50.

Old
  (#21)
PinchedNerve
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz Ed
Processor: Core i7 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: Denon AVR-1913
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 08-12-2013, 16:12 | posts: 176 | Location: Florida

I had Win8 since release & always hated the UI. I was really hoping they would give an option for classic menu some day. When 8.1 came out I was pretty disappointed that the start button just went to the same full screen Icon based garbage & reformated 3 of my PC's back to Win7, 3 days after 8.1 preview.

I fully understand the mobile market & why your finger & swiping work extremely well on those devices.

My question is. Why, why couldn't MS just gave everyone the option for the new UI & classic menu? For those of us that will not be abandoning our KB/M desktops anytime soon. Why the hell force me into a UI that works great on a touch display with your finger when I am sitting at my desk with a KB/M & no touch screen?

I really think the option for the classic menu would have been abandon pretty quickly for the new UI if you were on a "Mobile Device" & the new UI would be abandon if you had a "KB/M desktop"... Its ok to have both for 2 very different situations...

Win8 really could have been a win/win if it had both the new UI for mobile users & the classic menu for Dtop users. God forbid you satisfy both situations with options for both situations!

Last edited by PinchedNerve; 08-12-2013 at 16:24.

Old
  (#22)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: EVGA 850w Supernova soon
Default 08-12-2013, 16:16 | posts: 7,098 | Location: Dubai

I have Win8 installed in a virtual machine .. thank goodness for Classic shell. I wish a third party tool wasn't necessary for navigation because of Sinofsky's tunnel-vision. Anyway, a new proper release should be out in 2-3 years and hopefully saner minds will be managing Microsoft by then.

Old
  (#23)
Terradorvite

Videocard: Evga GTX 970
Processor: FX8320 @ 4.6ghz 1.47v
Mainboard: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v1.0
Memory: GSKILL ARES DDR31866 16gb
Soundcard:
PSU: Xion 1000watt
Default 08-12-2013, 16:20 | posts: 25

Until I see some significant performance boosts from 8.1, Im sticking with W7 for now. BSODS and driver issues with 8 have plagued me in the past. Ive tried all the current builds with no success at a stable run. Ran multiple tests on the memory, hdd, and cpu for stability, and they all run fine. Maybe its the combo of my hardware that w8 doesnt like.

After spending some time with the UI, finding locations becomes rather simple. So I dont hate it as Microsoft will build an improved successor to 8.1 with W9 in the future. I still like my classic interface however.

Old
  (#24)
S_IV
Member Guru

Default 08-12-2013, 16:25 | posts: 136 | Location: Istanbul

If the pirated copies are taken into consideration, i cannot imagine the real usage of win7 in the World. But anyway, that is offtopic. They have been working on win9 as far as i know. I guess Microsoft will not give up "touch", but they will probably change all the Metro thing because of the bad reputation.(I hope they will).

About tablets and smartphones. They look nice no doubt about it but saying they "are" the future makes me scared, indeed. For instance, we were complaining about console ports but I don't want to imagine the day I say "oh! that tablet port game needs an 8 core cpu!".. Oh my..

Old
  (#25)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Default 08-12-2013, 16:28 | posts: 7,245 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
I have Win8 installed in a virtual machine .. thank goodness for Classic shell. I wish a third party tool wasn't necessary for navigation because of Sinofsky's tunnel-vision. Anyway, a new proper release should be out in 2-3 years and hopefully saner minds will be managing Microsoft by then.
Sinofsky didn't design the UI, and in fact they got rid of him and promoted the lead designer of the UI in 8 (Julie Larson-Green) to his position.

And I still don't get why so many people have trouble with 8's interface for navigating. I find it way easier. It's definitely different and there's a lot of unintuitive design choices, especially when dealing with Metro applications themselves, but as far as using "Start".. I think it's way better.

Quote:
If the pirated copies are taken into consideration, i cannot imagine the real usage of win7 in the World. But anyway, that is offtopic. They have been working on win9 as far as i know. I guess Microsoft will not give up "touch", but they will probably change all the Metro thing because of the bad reputation.(I hope they will).

About tablets and smartphones. They look nice no doubt about it but saying they "are" the future makes me scared, indeed. For instance, we were complaining about console ports but I don't want to imagine the day I say "oh! that tablet port game needs an 8 core cpu!".. Oh my..
Microsoft doesn't really have a choice. Pretty much everything points to mobile being the future of computing. The only way they are going to get actual penetration into that market is by leveraging their Windows user base down into it. They can make it work too, there are plenty of people that have become accustomed to the Windows 8 interface. I myself like it more than classic. They just need to keep tweaking and making improvements. I'd like to see more customization throughout the entire OS and I think that may be a theme moving forward.

Last edited by Denial; 08-12-2013 at 16:32.