Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI
Videocards - AMD - ATI AMD Radeon graphics cards. Do you have one or want to buy one? Use this forum to discuss anything concerning products using Radeon graphics cards, CrossFireX, from Radeon 9800 to HD 6900

Eyefinity Random Disables Itself, Unknown Monitors, Black Screen on Wake, etc
Old
  (#1)
Espionage724
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI R7850 TF 2GD5/OC
Processor: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5GHz
Mainboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2
Memory: DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 8GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DG
PSU: Rosewill RG630-S12 630W
Default Eyefinity Random Disables Itself, Unknown Monitors, Black Screen on Wake, etc - 08-10-2013, 17:55 | posts: 1,344 | Location: Charleroi, PA

These are just 4 issues I've been having with my GPU, and i'm wondering if there's a solution.

I have 3 Acer S201HL's hooked up via DVI (native), HDMI (DVI-to-HDMI cable), and MiniDP (DVI-to-MiniDP (HIS active adapter)). I also use Windows 8.1 Pro Preview and the OpenGL 4.3 Beta drivers (but this has happened with older drivers too and Windows-based OS's).

The first issue is that my Eyefinity configuration disables itself randomly. It will randomly revert me back to multi-monitor, and I'd then have to re-set it back up.

The second issue is, usually after a long period of time (few hours/days), my screens would be listed as "Unknown Display" under Screen Resolution. Normally, they are listed as "Acer S201HL(Digital)". I'm pretty sure Eyefinity is disabled when this occurs too.

The third issue is that if my monitors go to sleep, sometimes they don't wake fully. They power on (backlight turns on), but the screen remains black. In the past when I had a single S201HL on DVI, I'd just hotplug it and this would work sometimes to restore the display (note sometimes). Other times the display would remain black, and I'd then have to reboot to fix it.

The fourth issue is that my monitor arrangement sometimes resets itself too. The proper monitor arrangement via software for my monitors is 2 (HDMI), 3 (DVI), 1 (MiniDP). The first monitor has to be where its at due to it powering on and switching resolutions slower than the other monitors (I primarily rely on the left and center screens the most).

I have a single Radeon HD 7850 also. I only had one S201HL in the past via DVI on my old GPU (5570) and I don't believe it had the sleep of death issue nor unknown monitor thing.

Any ideas as to what I could do to fix any of that? I heard long ago that there was some issue with some 7xxx series cards about some noisy components being used in the manufacturing process that could cause screens to disconnect at times. Maybe that's affecting me?

Old
  (#2)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX R9 295X2 8GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: 5.1 Surround
PSU: Corsair TX950
Default 08-10-2013, 18:12 | posts: 7,215 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Dodgy cables or adapters from monitor to PC ?

If one of the displays disconnects because of a bad adapter or cable, I assume it will remove your eyefinity setup

Old
  (#3)
Espionage724
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI R7850 TF 2GD5/OC
Processor: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5GHz
Mainboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2
Memory: DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 8GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DG
PSU: Rosewill RG630-S12 630W
Default 08-10-2013, 20:36 | posts: 1,344 | Location: Charleroi, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
Dodgy cables or adapters from monitor to PC ?

If one of the displays disconnects because of a bad adapter or cable, I assume it will remove your eyefinity setup
I should also mention that the monitor sleep of death and unknown display thing also occurred with a single monitor on this 7850 card, but hasn't occured on my old 5570.

Tags
disable, disconnect, eyefinity, monitors, noisy