Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Xbox One to restrict Skype to Xbox Live Gold members
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Xbox One to restrict Skype to Xbox Live Gold members - 08-09-2013, 06:43 | posts: 21,088 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Limitations, limitations and more limitations.*If you want to experience many of the features that Microsoft has in store for the Xbox One console, you had better have a paid Xbox Live Gold subscript...

Xbox One to restrict Skype to Xbox Live Gold members

Old
  (#2)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 08-09-2013, 06:55 | posts: 6,797 | Location: Dubai

What's new? Xbox is borderline useless with Live gold.

Old
  (#3)
kosh_neranek
Master Guru

Videocard: SLI MSi GTX 660Ti PE@1190
Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K @ 4.8
Mainboard: ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
Memory: 16 GB 2133MHZ G.Skill
Soundcard: TRITTON 720+
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 08-09-2013, 09:19 | posts: 206 | Location: Dublin

EPICFAIL , , FACEPALM

Old
  (#4)
Nuwidol

Videocard: Titan SLI
Processor: 3930k @ 4800MHZ
Mainboard: Rampage IV Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair Red 2133MHZ
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar D2X
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Default 08-09-2013, 11:35 | posts: 20 | Location: UK

Hmm, Headline should read: Xbox One to restrict Skype to Xbox Live Gold members until MS realises no one is happy & then it will be free for everyone.

Old
  (#5)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Default 08-09-2013, 12:03 | posts: 6,797 | Location: Dubai

They said Xbox will be the new watercooler at the reveal. Will water also be held ransom for $60 p.a.?

Old
  (#6)
VolkNasty
Member Guru

Videocard: 2 MSI GTX580 Lightning
Processor: Intel i7 3930k OC 4.5ghz
Mainboard: MSI X79A-GD65(8D)
Memory: DDR3/2133/4 + 4
Soundcard: Bose 3.1
PSU: TermalTake 1050
Default 08-09-2013, 13:59 | posts: 58 | Location: USA

It's sixty bucks a year, who cares... Besides half the people won't even use the feature.

Old
  (#7)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX770 4GB FTW
Processor: i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: EVGA 750G2
Default 08-09-2013, 14:03 | posts: 4,774 | Location: Washington DC

Doesn't bother me. Gold subscription is not that much money plus the network is still years ahead of PSN. It costs money for them to add features like this. Sony just figured this out this generation.

Old
  (#8)
schmidtbag
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x ATI HD5750
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 08-09-2013, 16:23 | posts: 397 | Location: MA, USA

You could argue that skype would be handy as an in-game voice chat service, but Xbox already had this feature so skype just seems a little redundant, and also less practical for games.

Old
  (#9)
Labyrinth
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Nvidia GTX 560 Ti
Processor: C2Q Q9450 @ 3.55Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5Q
Memory: Corsair8GB DDR2
Soundcard: XFI Xtreme Music
PSU: Corsair TX 750W
Default 08-09-2013, 17:24 | posts: 3,904 | Location: Cheshire, England

Can the NSA not pay for it? you know since Microsoft lets them listen

Also they tried this with the BBC iplayer too years ago

Old
  (#10)
Mineria
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS STRIX GTX 970
Processor: Intel i7 4770K
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
Memory: 32G G.Skill TridentX
Soundcard: Asus Phoebus
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000 G2
Default 08-09-2013, 18:21 | posts: 3,069 | Location: Denmark

I'm fine with that as long as they still offer a free game every two weeks.

Sick of the XBOX bashing by GURU3D
Old
  (#11)
KingK76

Videocard: GTX480/SLI@900/1800/2200
Processor: i7 3770 @ 4.8GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus V Formula
Memory: DDR3 2400MHz
Soundcard: Azuntech
PSU: Corsair HX1000W
Default Sick of the XBOX bashing by GURU3D - 08-11-2013, 02:24 | posts: 32 | Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada

I am so sick of the blatant bias GURU3D is showing for the Playstation. You guys are supposed to report the news in a UN-BIASED manner. I currently own both systems and will own both next gen systems as well so I am a fan of both. I just think it's sad and unprofessional of the writers here to continually dump on Microsoft when it is clear that although some missteps were made initially they have come out and made up for most every mistake (by listening to the customers!). Come on guys give it a rest already and judge the consoles when they're released and the games are available. Only then will any of us be able to make a proper judgement.

Old
  (#12)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Default 08-11-2013, 04:14 | posts: 6,797 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingK76 View Post
I am so sick of the blatant bias GURU3D is showing for the Playstation. You guys are supposed to report the news in a UN-BIASED manner. I currently own both systems and will own both next gen systems as well so I am a fan of both. I just think it's sad and unprofessional of the writers here to continually dump on Microsoft when it is clear that although some missteps were made initially they have come out and made up for most every mistake (by listening to the customers!). Come on guys give it a rest already and judge the consoles when they're released and the games are available. Only then will any of us be able to make a proper judgement.
MS does a good enough job of making itself look bad. Blame them.

Old
  (#13)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 08-11-2013, 04:47 | posts: 3,409 | Location: USA

So anyone else remember the good old days of consoles? Before online was added and they fiqure they could start making more money withhold stuff.... Last i check skype is free on the pc. but console people will have to pay for it.. Still think Console are superior?

But you all love your online and cant live with out they know this so they making you pay for these things now.

Old
  (#14)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Default 08-11-2013, 04:52 | posts: 6,797 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
So anyone else remember the good old days of consoles? Before online was added and they fiqure they could start making more money withhold stuff.... Last i check skype is free on the pc. but console people will have to pay for it.. Still think Console are superior?

But you all love your online and cant live with out they know this so they making you pay for these things now.
Who is to say the subscription will remain $60 for the foreseeable future? After all, they believe they're "over delivering value". Suckers.

Old
  (#15)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 08-11-2013, 06:23 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineria View Post
I'm fine with that as long as they still offer a free game every two weeks.
Microsoft is only offering free games until end of year if you read the fine print.

That's already an issue on XBOX 360, nearly every service requires XBOX Live Gold like YouTube, GameTrailers, Crackle, Netflix ... anything that routes Internet traffic basically. My XBOX 360 will become just a glorified media centre extender except play offline games come 2014 when I fully migrate over to Playstation Network with the PS4.

One thing that bugged me about PS3 was the lack of cross-game play chat. Like honestly, how did Sony not think about that?

deltatux

Last edited by deltatux; 08-11-2013 at 06:25.

Old
  (#16)
StealBalls
Banned

Videocard: MSI 280x CrossFire
Processor: Intel 4670K@ 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Pro
Memory: 8GB Corsair 1866Mhz CL9
Soundcard: AMD HD Audio
PSU: Corsair RM Series 850W
Default 08-11-2013, 07:20 | posts: 649 | Location: W.A.K.T

Quote:
lol This honestly just mad me face palm.

Old
  (#17)
MrH
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 680
Processor: i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Memory: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU: Corsair TX 750 v2
Default 08-11-2013, 16:10 | posts: 2,004 | Location: UK

Quote:
Honestly it sounds like you're the one who's biased if you can't see all the bull**** Microsoft has pulled up until now.

Old
  (#18)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 08-11-2013, 17:13 | posts: 3,409 | Location: USA

MS will do what ever they can get away with on the console side, WHich is slightly less the they can get away with in the PC side cause the monopolize the PC side cause 99% of all pc are running there OS and people have no choice but to take it. They cant pull the same stuff with the Console's with out castrating them selves, but trust me they will do what ever they cant get away with. Console people will roll over and pay they what they what they be doing it for years. Even if they didnt reverse what they did PEOPLE would bought the system.

Skype free on pc Console you will pay and people will. Multiplayer on PC is FREE console guess what we all gona pay for it now cause cause the idiots that put up with it for XBOX. A MMO game is only game we should have to sub to to play. Consoles you will have to pay to play online PC will be free. You really want to subcribe to that you have to pay for sub to play multiplayer games on servers that arnt MMO games that is right but PC has the games counter part for free. and you are the people that put everyone in the same boat of have to pay for something that is free on pc end.

Last edited by tsunami231; 08-11-2013 at 17:21.

Old
  (#19)
elkosith
Maha Guru

Videocard: 9600 GT :(
Processor: Intel E7300 @ 3 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI P7N SLI Platinum
Memory: DDR2 800 2 x 1GB
Soundcard: Topping D2 + Blow4
PSU: 420 Watts
Default 08-11-2013, 17:58 | posts: 1,187 | Location: Indonesia

Quote:
I am so sick of the blatant bias GURU3D is showing for the Playstation....
Quote:
Limitations, limitations and more limitations. If you want to experience many of the features that Microsoft has in store for the Xbox One console, you had better have a paid Xbox Live Gold subscription ready to go. Microsoft has confirmed several of the console's major features will require Xbox Live Gold access.

In a page on the Xbox.com site, Microsoft has a list of all the Xbox One features that will need an Xbox Live Gold subscription. Besides features like playing multiplayer games and accessing streaming videos apps that are already required for the Xbox 360, Xbox Live Gold members who own the Xbox One will be the only ones to use its Skype chat program, the OneGuide television guide menu, the SmartMatch multiplayer matching service and the Game DVR options that let gamers record, save and upload game footage.

Even Internet Explorer apparantly requires a Live subscription.
I don't see he bias. The news is just news, giving us information about the limitations on the new XBOX.

About the opinions about the news here in the forum, we as forum members are free to express our opinions. Different opinions are inevitable

Old
  (#20)
BBN
Master Guru

Videocard: Vapor-X 7950 3 Way Xfire
Processor: I5-3570k
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 6
Memory: 16GB 1333
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatal1ty Profession
PSU: SeaSonic X-1050
Default 08-11-2013, 18:34 | posts: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
Can the NSA not pay for it? you know since Microsoft lets them listen

Also they tried this with the BBC iplayer too years ago
Gold!

Old
  (#21)
bobdude
Maha Guru

Videocard: PS4
Processor: PS4
Mainboard: PS4
Memory: PS4
Soundcard: PS4
PSU: PS4
Default 08-11-2013, 18:50 | posts: 1,879 | Location: AZ

Quote:
duh you act like you just joined here yesterday we feed on hate

Old
  (#22)
scope

Videocard: 2 x 7970 Sapphire OC
Processor: 2500K@4.8 Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme 4
Memory: 16 GB ADATA 1600 Mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: ******ic M 12 II 850W
Default 08-11-2013, 22:59 | posts: 2

Everybody says "unbelievable", "facepalm" etc, and in the end MS will be thousand times richer, because it`s convenient and because of foolish people.
So, it is calculated and everyone knows that there will be paid services like this one...

The only way to succeed is that no one pays...

Old
  (#23)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 670 FTW Sli H2O/780 TFIV
Processor: 2600k@4.8 H2O/2500k@4.5
Mainboard: P8Z68-V PRO/P8Z77-V
Memory: corsair ddr3 8GB@1866
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus/onboard
PSU: Corsair HX850w/TX850w
Default 08-11-2013, 23:18 | posts: 5,378 | Location: FLA,USA

Quote:
If you want rainbows lollipops and unicorns about the Xbone go to the Xbox forums here the truth is reported and the truth is M$ is money hungry and they don't care what part of their customer base they piss off as they are noting more than revenue to them.

Old
  (#24)
CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 3GB HD7970OC/2GB HD7770
Processor: 4770K@4.5GHz/Q6600@3.6GHz
Mainboard: Z87-GD65 / P5K PREMIUM
Memory: 16GB@1866MHz/4GB@1066MHz
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: 1200W/900W
Default 08-11-2013, 23:55 | posts: 5,847 | Location: Wolverhampton/United Kingdom

Honestly the next gen consoles can kiss my ass. They are simply under powered. 8 cores (basically 4 modules with two threads each) operating at 1.8GHz and a crappy GPU that is the equivalent to a 7850 but stripped down to save on power consumption and heat. Our PC's from two years ago in terms of raw processing power destroy these machines. Sure they will be better optimized but and because of x86 and more cores being used we PC gamers will get better performance out of ports than ever before. Developers are having to scale back graphics in games already to 720p to maintain 60fps in games or sacrifice AA for frame rate for better graphics. I shall just buy a 4770K and a Sabertooth motherboard near xmas and then a second 7970 in the new year and be happy for the next two-three years if not longer. Hate on me all you want, I don't care. Consoles do bring ease of use yes, but they also bring restrictions and they stagnate the industry with their fixed hardware for around ten years. Even the mobile smartphone and tablet chips are reaching unheard of levels of performance. Whilst consoles will be fixed for ten years PC and mobile will continue to progress. I shall only buy a PS4 once its like 150 for the first party games and that is it.

Old
  (#25)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Default 08-12-2013, 00:13 | posts: 3,409 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPC_RedDawn View Post
Honestly the next gen consoles can kiss my ass. They are simply under powered. 8 cores (basically 4 modules with two threads each) operating at 1.8GHz and a crappy GPU that is the equivalent to a 7850 but stripped down to save on power consumption and heat. Our PC's from two years ago in terms of raw processing power destroy these machines. Sure they will be better optimized but and because of x86 and more cores being used we PC gamers will get better performance out of ports than ever before. Developers are having to scale back graphics in games already to 720p to maintain 60fps in games or sacrifice AA for frame rate for better graphics. I shall just buy a 4770K and a Sabertooth motherboard near xmas and then a second 7970 in the new year and be happy for the next two-three years if not longer. Hate on me all you want, I don't care. Consoles do bring ease of use yes, but they also bring restrictions and they stagnate the industry with their fixed hardware for around ten years. Even the mobile smartphone and tablet chips are reaching unheard of levels of performance. Whilst consoles will be fixed for ten years PC and mobile will continue to progress. I shall only buy a PS4 once its like 150 for the first party games and that is it.
Consoles will always been under power from the day there announced they are already OLD tech nothing new about this will never changed.

The only thing we can hope is they do real 1080p with some sorta of AA and min of 30FPS at all times 60FPS preferred.

I swear if console games things gen make my eyes bleed with sub HD res with no AA and ridiculous framerate drops. I will be done I also not fan of this BS we have to pay for for online gaming when the pc version of that same game is gona be free.... I Blame MS and all the drones that pay for online multiplayer on console when those same games that came out the PC where free to play online. MMO are one thing to put sub on but not Single player games with online gaming features.