Games Crashing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Nodgez, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Nodgez

Nodgez Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GT 540m 2G
    My laptop recently started crashing while playing games and only while playing games. So i have a feeling it's a problem with my graphics card but i ran some diagnostics on it and it says the graphics card is fine. I tried swapping around the ram aswell but the problem still arose and ran a diagnostics on those too. It's not over heating either because the temperature averages around 75 and peaks around 85.

what happens when the game crashes is the screen freezes up and whatever audio sample was playing at the time get looped and i sometimes get a watchdog error(but not always because it doesn't break of of whatever is wrong).

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this crash?

2. Vxheous

Vxheous Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    That sounds like an overheat-type crash, but you said your temps are fine. 85*C might be a bit too toasty for your laptop, have you tried dusting it out?

3. Nodgez

Nodgez Guest

GPU:
    I completely dusted it out. I should have mentioned that the crashes are quite erratic aswell in that they can happen within the 1st 20 seconds of a game where the temp wouldn't even have hit 70*C.

4. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    Summer, you cant affect it.

I recommend a cheap 5-10$ upgrade, go to a local PC store and buy a laptop holder, with huge 210 mm fan under it, it will keep the laptop a bit cooler.

5. Nodgez

Nodgez Guest

GPU:
    I found out that I'm getting this error when i alt-tabbed out just as the game crashed.

"nvidia kernel mode driver has stopped responding and has recovered"

and this error appeared before it

"application League of Legends has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware"

6. BillieGDJoe

BillieGDJoe Guest

GPU:
    MSI 560 TI GTX HAWK

Maybe a driver problem. What version are you using? The last "more stable" version is 314.22, try using it and report back.

7. Nodgez

Nodgez Guest

GPU:
    I tried that version, the current certified version and the beta version. This problem seems to affect a lot of different people in varying degrees from what i've been reading in the nvidia forums.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013