Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA
Videocards - NVIDIA This forum is all about NVIDIA graphics cards and their technology. Do you have a question regarding an older GeForce videocard? Want to tell people how stylish a game works on that new shiny watercooled GeForce GTX 580 or SLI gaming rig? Get in here!

GTX650TI single slot mod - cooling/underclocking/undervolting question
Old
  (#1)
kacperpl1

Videocard: Gainward GTX650TI 1GB GS
Processor: E3-1230V3
Mainboard: P8H61-I LX R2.0
Memory: Geil EvoCorsa 8GB 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: OCZ SilentXStream 500W
Question GTX650TI single slot mod - cooling/underclocking/undervolting question - 07-31-2013, 18:14 | posts: 15 | Location: Poland

So I got myself nice ITX build with 19 litre CM Elite 120A, however while I got some cash to spare I wanna try putting this into even smaller, 10 litre Tacens Ixion. The main problem is the single slot requirement for VGA's in those tiny cases.

First thing was thinking what card should I buy instead of my 650TI but closest HD7750 is half its perf and I'm not sure if I wanna go for ATI. Then i noticed some guys with same problem talking about getting single slot sledges for 650TI so I looked at my card and realised its doable without breaking the card and voiding warranty.

So it looks like this(before and after):

Without the fan i get like 50 degrees while not playing. But when i start the game the hell awekens and card shuts after quickly reaching 100 degrees

So the question is - how to underclock and undervolt the card OR what to get to cool this stuff efficiently while gaming? I did try forcing lower clocks with EVGA precisionX but kepler gave no fuxx

Old
  (#2)
Fender178
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire r9 290 tri-x 4gb
Processor: i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz @1.26V
Mainboard: Asus Z97 Pro
Memory: Gskill Ares 16gb 2133mhz
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair AX 860W
Default 07-31-2013, 19:31 | posts: 1,402 | Location: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacperpl1 View Post
So I got myself nice ITX build with 19 litre CM Elite 120A, however while I got some cash to spare I wanna try putting this into even smaller, 10 litre Tacens Ixion. The main problem is the single slot requirement for VGA's in those tiny cases.

First thing was thinking what card should I buy instead of my 650TI but closest HD7750 is half its perf and I'm not sure if I wanna go for ATI. Then i noticed some guys with same problem talking about getting single slot sledges for 650TI so I looked at my card and realised its doable without breaking the card and voiding warranty.

So it looks like this(before and after):

Without the fan i get like 50 degrees while not playing. But when i start the game the hell awekens and card shuts after quickly reaching 100 degrees

So the question is - how to underclock and undervolt the card OR what to get to cool this stuff efficiently while gaming? I did try forcing lower clocks with EVGA precisionX but kepler gave no fuxx
You could try purchasing and mounting a skinnier fan that is the same size in diameter the original fan but skinnier in thickness to the to that heatsink to keep it cool considering you are trying to run a graphics card that used a fan originally.

Last edited by Fender178; 07-31-2013 at 19:34.

Old
  (#3)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Videocard: Geforce 760
Processor: Intel Xeon W3680
Mainboard: Mac Pro 5.1
Memory: 6gb ddr3 1333
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Mac PRO PSU
Default 07-31-2013, 19:36 | posts: 10,425 | Location: Toledo Ohio

Needs more cooling! I would say try to add more fins to the heatsink, and mount a series of smaller fans inside the heatsink by shaving down some fins. that way the heat has somewhere to go. You could also remount the heatsink with better thermal pads for the memory, and better thermal paste on the gpu.

Old
  (#4)
kacperpl1

Soundcard:
Default 07-31-2013, 19:57 | posts: 15 | Location: Poland

LoL - The main idea is not to break the card and keep its warranty

Tacens Ixion looks like this:

Card is about the length of ITX board so i still have some place to mount cooler blowing air through the fins but I can't find any good and big ones sucking air by front and blowing it sideways. Also I think I'll need to perforate case side for this because it only have perforations on the other side.

Other option would be getting some good water cooling for this and setting the cooler's radiatior on the other side but I couldn't find any of those fitting the 650TI. Any help with this?

Old
  (#5)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7970CF @ Qnix 1440p 110Hz
Processor: i7 930
Mainboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium
Memory: 6GB Corsair Dominators
Soundcard: Audio-GD NFB-11.32 +DT880
PSU: CM Silent Pro Hybrid 1300
Default 07-31-2013, 20:20 | posts: 3,233 | Location: Lebanon

A cooler that is not made for proper convection with the ambient air will always allow the card to overheat. You will have to find a single-slot passive cooler (good luck) if you want to cram the card in without a fan.

The alternative is a single slot heatsink with a fan (again, good luck).

Might need to grab a stock single-slot heatsink that has the same mounting points as this one around the GPU, and mod that so that the metal makes no contact with any component on the card.

Old
  (#6)
MM10X
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 660 Ti | X270OC
Processor: I7 3770k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1866
Soundcard: Auzentech Forte + Z-5500
PSU: Corsair HX1000w
Default 07-31-2013, 21:02 | posts: 4,168 | Location: Oakland, CA, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacperpl1 View Post
LoL - The main idea is not to break the card and keep its warranty

Tacens Ixion looks like this:

Card is about the length of ITX board so i still have some place to mount cooler blowing air through the fins but I can't find any good and big ones sucking air by front and blowing it sideways. Also I think I'll need to perforate case side for this because it only have perforations on the other side.

Other option would be getting some good water cooling for this and setting the cooler's radiatior on the other side but I couldn't find any of those fitting the 650TI. Any help with this?
Run a blower fan mounted behind the GPU.
Make sure to put exhaust vents somewhere. Maybe cut/drill pattern the side panel for extra intake.

Something like this.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/19...l?tl=g36c15s62

you should fit fans in the front of that case somehow- as long as there is SOME airflow through there!

Old
  (#7)
Cyberdyne
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX760 ACX 1241/3139
Processor: i7 4770K @4.4GHz CLW0222
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Memory: Vengeance 2x8GB @1600
Soundcard: Logitech G430 + FiiO E6
PSU: CORSAIR tx750w
Default 07-31-2013, 21:40 | posts: 2,141 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

Yeah as others pointed out, passive cooling ain't gonna cut it even if you underclock it. You're gonna need some way of pulling the heat off the GPU. About a year ago the fans on my GPU broke (never getting gigabyte again) so I removed the cover and tied a 120mm case fan to the heatsink, ended up getting better temps than before, almost a 10c drop.
I would do something similar or position a case fan in the chassis close to the GPU as an exhaust fan.

Old
  (#8)
kacperpl1

Soundcard:
Default 08-01-2013, 17:59 | posts: 15 | Location: Poland

Thanks for replies. I'm thinking about getting something like this:

But a bit smaller to fit it sideways(90 degrees clockwise)

It would fit perfectly behind the board, with fan attached, but still dunno if it would be enough considering the central position inside the case.

Anyone know of something like this?

Old
  (#9)
Captain Oats
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
Processor: Bulldozer 8120 oc 4ghz
Mainboard: Asus M5A97
Memory: 12GB Goodram
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Corsair 750W
Default 08-05-2013, 08:14 | posts: 220 | Location: Poland

Check size of the gap between the heatsink and the front of your card. Looks like its about 40-60mm long. Buy one or two fans if you can fit two side by side. Cut one side of plastic frames with a little saw or sth so they would suck air from the side. Mount them with plastic cable management stripes or sth. It should do. You can try to connect them to some fan controler. Also change the TIM on gpu to some decent one and you should be done in 20-50zl.(Hej ja tez z Pl )

Old
  (#10)
Omagana
Maha Guru

Videocard: Evga GTX 780
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X 7.1
PSU: Corsair HX850W
Default 08-05-2013, 09:03 | posts: 2,369 | Location: Scotland

Stick a scythe slip stream fan on it?

Extra thin I've used a couple in the past for tight radiator spots.