Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Samsung Caught Artificially Boosting Galaxy S4 Benchmark Results
Old
  (#1)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 770 Classified
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Seasonic X-850
Default Samsung Caught Artificially Boosting Galaxy S4 Benchmark Results - 07-31-2013, 11:28 | posts: 13,439 | Location: USA

Quote:
As a company, Samsung offers plenty of products for the smartphone world to consider, but while its range is wide and covers most areas of the market, its flagship models derive from the Galaxy S series. One thing you mightíve picked up from every new Galaxy S device, including the Galaxy S4, is that when it comes around to benchmarks, the new model always performs significantly better on paper than its predecessor. This, in terms of digital evolution, perhaps stands to reason, but AnandTech has done a little digging, and discovered evidence that appears to suggest the latest and greatest Samsung Galaxy S4 may have been tweaked to show favorable numbers in the benchmark tests, even if this doesnít necessarily translate to real-world performance improvements. Now, we know that there are limitations on how much a smartphone can offer year-in, year-out, and with each new model of smartphone, vendors are finding it very hard to trump the preceding device for features and specs. It has been claimed that the Galaxy S 4 saves its fastest graphics chip speeds for specific benchmarking apps, while games and apps see much less impressive performance from the companyís Exynos 5 Octa-core processor. The SoC, which is only found in certain variants of the Galaxy S4, sounds very impressive on paper, and the benchmark figures have done its credibility no harm whatsoever. Yet back in the real world, it would seem that apps donít enjoy the same kinds of power, and although it would make sense for Samsung to want to reflect its poster child in as positive a light as possible, this would seem a pretty underhanded way ensuring so.

Beyond3D users were first to pick up on the inconsistencies, with the Galaxy 4's GPU clocked at up to 533MHz on some benchmarking apps. Yet, over time, it was shown that the graphics chip ran at around 480MHz, which I think youíll agree, is more than a slight discrepancy. The same kind of behavior has also been shown with the CPU benchmarks and real-world usage, not only for the Exynos 5 model, but also the Qualcomm Snapdragon iteration. Tailoring the numbers to show something is when it, in fact, isnít, is not the kind of behavior we would expect from a company of Samsungís stature. The Korean outfit has yet to comment on the situation, but one suspects an uproar on the subject is nigh.
http://www.redmondpie.com/samsung-ca...hmark-results/

Naughty Samsung.

Old
  (#2)
kanej2007
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600 4.7Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-VPro
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Vengeance C8
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X Ultra 7.1
PSU: Fractal Design R2 1000W
Default 07-31-2013, 11:35 | posts: 6,838 | Location: Dubai, UAE / London, UK

I wouldn't at all be surprised at their evil doings!

Old
  (#3)
eclap
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming 970 1450/7800
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1. AD700. DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 07-31-2013, 12:55 | posts: 26,337 | Location: Hampshire UK

thing is, I can beat all of their advertised scores in any benchmark anyway

EDIT: just read that article, all they're saying is that the gpu runs at 533mhz in some benchmarks and then in some apps/games it'll downclock to 480mhz. That's pretty standard behavior.

Last edited by eclap; 07-31-2013 at 12:58.

Old
  (#4)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 07-31-2013, 13:49 | posts: 7,122 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclap View Post
thing is, I can beat all of their advertised scores in any benchmark anyway

EDIT: just read that article, all they're saying is that the gpu runs at 533mhz in some benchmarks and then in some apps/games it'll downclock to 480mhz. That's pretty standard behavior.
Well once again we have some random tech site putting a spin on the actual content. Anandtech's original article sounds no where near as malicious as every other tech site linking to them. The click bait **** is getting ridiculous.

Anandtech Title: "Looking at CPU/GPU Benchmark Optimizations in the Galaxy S4"

Redmondgarbage Title: "Samsung Caught Artificially Boosting Galaxy S4 Benchmark Results"

Also most sites are completely leaving out the fact that the S4 runs at max clock speed with most benchmarks not specifically listed anyway.

Old
  (#5)
GeniusPr0
Master Guru

Videocard: PNY GTX 780 SLI 3GB
Processor: Intel i7 3930K 4.7 + H105
Mainboard: ASUS R4E
Memory: 16GB Samsung 2133 1.5v
Soundcard: Logitech Z-2300 + onboard
PSU: eVGA 1000W P2
Default 07-31-2013, 14:26 | posts: 503 | Location: Toronto

My S4 belongs in the garbage bin after seeing the NVIDIA Ira demo on a 2W Kepler.

Old
  (#6)
Lane
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
Processor: I7 4930K H2o EK Supremacy
Mainboard: Asus X79 Deluxe
Memory: G-Skill C9 2133mhz 16GB
Soundcard: X-FI Titanium HD + SP2500
PSU: CM 1000W
Default 07-31-2013, 15:43 | posts: 5,522 | Location: Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusPr0 View Post
My S4 belongs in the garbage bin after seeing the NVIDIA Ira demo on a 2W Kepler.
well you have time, this Tegra5 will be released in 1year, it is not even in production and yet they use prediction at 1ghz+ on a 192SP Kepler with a cooler as large of GK110 cores .. Forget to see it run at this speed on a smartphone, maybe at 400-500mhz, and coupled with LPDDR3 shared, i fear the gpu performance will not be as good as they want to show it.

Last edited by Lane; 07-31-2013 at 15:51.

Old
  (#7)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 07-31-2013, 17:08 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Here's Samsung's official response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung
Under ordinary conditions, the GALAXY S4 has been designed to allow a maximum GPU frequency of 533MHz. However, the maximum GPU frequency is lowered to 480MHz for certain gaming apps that may cause an overload, when they are used for a prolonged period of time in full-screen mode. Meanwhile, a maximum GPU frequency of 533MHz is applicable for running apps that are usually used in full-screen mode, such as the S Browser, Gallery, Camera, Video Player, and certain benchmarking apps, which also demand substantial performance.
The maximum GPU frequencies for the GALAXY S4 have been varied to provide optimal user experience for our customers, and were not intended to improve certain benchmark results.
Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07...-certain-apps/

deltatux

Old
  (#8)
Neo Cyrus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX HD 6970 @ 1015/6400
Processor: Xeon W3530 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 2.0
Memory: 6GB DDR3-2000 9-9-9-24-1T
Soundcard: SB ZxR + DT 990 Pro-250
PSU: Antec High Current 900W
Default 07-31-2013, 20:26 | posts: 7,490 | Location: GTA, Canada

Dynamic clocks that don't allow the maximum in gaming but allow it in benchmarks?

Old
  (#9)
NeoElNino
Maha Guru

Videocard: eVGA GTX460 Temporary
Processor: Core i7 4770K @ 4.2GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
Memory: 16GB G.SKILL DDR3@1600
Soundcard: Logitech 5.1 | 400W | THX
PSU: Ultra X3 850W|Modular|64A
Default 07-31-2013, 20:37 | posts: 970 | Location: Canada

no point in getting an 8-Core CPU or Quad one for a mobile device esp. for texting, emails, few apps left and right.. literally no point especially that if you wanna game the phone will easily overheat. The difference btw a 4 cores and 8 cores CPU on a mobile device is probably minimal to non-existant in real life scenarios.

I played few games like angry bird on my mobile and my device gets above 40C quickly and is a lil too warm to the touch.

Old
  (#10)
Lane
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
Processor: I7 4930K H2o EK Supremacy
Mainboard: Asus X79 Deluxe
Memory: G-Skill C9 2133mhz 16GB
Soundcard: X-FI Titanium HD + SP2500
PSU: CM 1000W
Default 07-31-2013, 21:20 | posts: 5,522 | Location: Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Cyrus View Post
Dynamic clocks that don't allow the maximum in gaming but allow it in benchmarks?
benchmakrs are really bad on mobile.. no warm up, they are too short and never use fully the processor and gpu as they should. so basically you will not overload anything with them.

Old
  (#11)
scoter man1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Evga GTX 570/Korean 1440p
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark1
Memory: GSkill Trident X 2x4GB
Soundcard: Onboard/Superlux HD660
PSU: XIGMATEK 750w
Default 07-31-2013, 23:03 | posts: 4,267 | Location: MI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoElNino View Post
no point in getting an 8-Core CPU or Quad one for a mobile device esp. for texting, emails, few apps left and right.. literally no point especially that if you wanna game the phone will easily overheat. The difference btw a 4 cores and 8 cores CPU on a mobile device is probably minimal to non-existant in real life scenarios.

I played few games like angry bird on my mobile and my device gets above 40C quickly and is a lil too warm to the touch.
It can't use all 8 at the same time though. It's basically 4 cores with 2 different power levels. It's sorta similar to the tegra 3, except there is a lower power core for each high power core.

Old
  (#12)
Ven0m
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 680 D2CU TOP
Processor: i7 920 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
Memory: 12GB Patriot Viper
Soundcard: Xonar D2X>Custom amp>K712
PSU: Seasonic M12D 850W
Default 08-01-2013, 09:34 | posts: 1,467 | Location: Warsaw, Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
Well once again we have some random tech site putting a spin on the actual content. Anandtech's original article sounds no where near as malicious as every other tech site linking to them. The click bait **** is getting ridiculous.

Anandtech Title: "Looking at CPU/GPU Benchmark Optimizations in the Galaxy S4"

Redmondgarbage Title: "Samsung Caught Artificially Boosting Galaxy S4 Benchmark Results"

Also most sites are completely leaving out the fact that the S4 runs at max clock speed with most benchmarks not specifically listed anyway.
Yeah, thanks for sharing this. I really hate such reposts - take good article, add sensation, subtract reason.