Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Khronos OpenGL 4.4 Specification
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone
 
Hilbert Hagedoorn's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Khronos OpenGL 4.4 Specification - 07-22-2013, 16:59 | posts: 20,762 | Location: Guru3D testlab

The Khronos Group today announced the immediate release of the OpenGL 4.4 specification, bringing the very latest graphics functionality to the most advanced and widely adopted cross-platform 2D and 3...

Khronos OpenGL 4.4 Specification
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
Khronikos
Member Guru
 
Videocard: 770 4GB @ 1200MHz
Processor: i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z68A-G43 (B3)
Memory: HyperX 4GBx2
Soundcard: Denon 2112ci/HDMI/BeyerD
PSU: Corsair 750TX V2
Default 07-22-2013, 23:38 | posts: 76

Looks like some really nice functionality here. I hope it makes itself viable for the PS4 as well.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru
 
tsunami231's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 07-22-2013, 23:44 | posts: 3,265 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn View Post
The Khronos Group today announced the immediate release of the OpenGL 4.4 specification, bringing the very latest graphics functionality to the most advanced and widely adopted cross-platform 2D and 3...

Khronos OpenGL 4.4 Specification
This is great now if only more stuff used opengl. Most ever game i have that is opengl will run pegged at 60fps at all time with vsycn+triple buffer, yet DX + Vysnc will not stay pegged at 60 fps short of me forcing TB with DXoverride and using framelimter threw precision. On side note for the longest time i kept wonder what this Khronos entry was in my registry now I know apparently is OPENGL
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
heffeque
Ancient Guru
 
heffeque's Avatar
 
Videocard: Radeon 6320 1GB
Processor: AMD E-450
Mainboard: Zotac AD04
Memory: 8 GB
Soundcard: Realtek
PSU: Small external brick
Default 07-24-2013, 12:39 | posts: 4,064 | Location: Barcelona, Spain

Not only OpenGL 4.4, but also OpenCL 1.2 SPIR and OpenCL 2.0.

OpenCL 1.2 SPIR is looking good, and OpenCL 2.0... AMD will be happy with it.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru
 
tsunami231's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 07-24-2013, 17:41 | posts: 3,265 | Location: USA

i dont even know what the other stuff is for
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
heffeque
Ancient Guru
 
heffeque's Avatar
 
Videocard: Radeon 6320 1GB
Processor: AMD E-450
Mainboard: Zotac AD04
Memory: 8 GB
Soundcard: Realtek
PSU: Small external brick
Default 07-24-2013, 20:44 | posts: 4,064 | Location: Barcelona, Spain

Good for you?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
thatguy91
Ancient Guru
 
Videocard: HIS R9-280x Iceq X2 Turbo
Processor: i5-3570K
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme6
Memory: DDR3-2400 2x8GB
Soundcard: ALC898 + Microlab FC-730
PSU: Enermax Platimax 750W
Default 07-24-2013, 21:36 | posts: 3,880 | Location: Australia

Going by the article, sounds like they are making it easier to port games from Directx to OpenGL. In other words, make it easier to port games from Xbox One to PS4...

In any case, having the conformance compliance is good, and having competition with Directx and vice versa is also good, as it pressures new features and advancements in each of the specifications.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru
 
CPC_RedDawn's Avatar
 
Videocard: 3GB HD7970OC/2GB HD7770
Processor: 4770K@4.5GHz/Q6600@3.6GHz
Mainboard: Z87-GD65 / P5K PREMIUM
Memory: 16GB@1866MHz/4GB@1066MHz
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: 1200W/900W
Default 07-24-2013, 21:41 | posts: 5,747 | Location: Wolverhampton/United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
This is great now if only more stuff used opengl. Most ever game i have that is opengl will run pegged at 60fps at all time with vsycn+triple buffer, yet DX + Vysnc will not stay pegged at 60 fps short of me forcing TB with DXoverride and using framelimter threw precision. On side note for the longest time i kept wonder what this Khronos entry was in my registry now I know apparently is OPENGL
As much as I see you like OpenGL and I too love it. But even the developers admit its nowhere near got the functionality of DX. Watch the keynote speech from John Carmack from last years Quakcon and it openly admits that they should have dropped OpenGL years ago in favor of DX as its just better (his words not mine).

I hope with this new update that its proven wrong and OpenGL becomes the industry standard and gives microsoft another kick to the goolies!!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
Lane
Ancient Guru
 
Videocard: 2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
Processor: I7 4930K H2o EK Supremacy
Mainboard: Asus X79 Deluxe
Memory: G-Skill C9 2133mhz 16GB
Soundcard: X-FI Titanium HD + SP2500
PSU: CM 1000W
Default 07-24-2013, 22:06 | posts: 5,451 | Location: Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy91 View Post
Going by the article, sounds like they are making it easier to port games from Directx to OpenGL. In other words, make it easier to port games from Xbox One to PS4...

In any case, having the conformance compliance is good, and having competition with Directx and vice versa is also good, as it pressures new features and advancements in each of the specifications.
Well the problem is the 4.4 only include what you can allready find on DX11, DX11.1 and DX11.2 ....

So, its nice to see they are catchup, but they need a bit more i think for go further.

The good thing is they are compliant ( to a certain extend ) to HSA requirement and other stuff about virtual memory and adress mapping, sparse texture, bindless textures etc etc..
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
Yxskaft
Master Guru
 
Videocard: 5770
Processor: Intel Core i7
Mainboard:
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Integrated
PSU: 650w
Default 07-24-2013, 23:06 | posts: 637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane View Post
Well the problem is the 4.4 only include what you can allready find on DX11, DX11.1 and DX11.2 ....

So, its nice to see they are catchup, but they need a bit more i think for go further.

The good thing is they are compliant ( to a certain extend ) to HSA requirement and other stuff about virtual memory and adress mapping, sparse texture, bindless textures etc etc..
OpenGL 4.4 being supported on Windows 7 should be an advantage, since DX11.1/11.2 are only supported fully on Windows 8 and 8.1
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
Lane
Ancient Guru
 
Videocard: 2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
Processor: I7 4930K H2o EK Supremacy
Mainboard: Asus X79 Deluxe
Memory: G-Skill C9 2133mhz 16GB
Soundcard: X-FI Titanium HD + SP2500
PSU: CM 1000W
Default 07-24-2013, 23:27 | posts: 5,451 | Location: Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yxskaft View Post
OpenGL 4.4 being supported on Windows 7 should be an advantage, since DX11.1/11.2 are only supported fully on Windows 8 and 8.1
Huum its a bit different... maybe too much complicate for enter on it right now.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru
 
-Tj-'s Avatar
 
Videocard: ZOTAC GTX780 OC AmpFan
Processor: i7 4770K OC 4.7 cache 4.4
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Crucial BLE 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Chieftec NTRO88+ 650W|52A
Default 07-25-2013, 00:42 | posts: 7,310 | Location: Urban`Jungle

I thought 4.3 already used bindless extensions, good that's finally here.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Realtek® ALC887-VD
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 07-25-2013, 01:30 | posts: 16,305 | Location: US East Coast

Nice to see OpenGL advancing....


   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.