Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

Batman and Superman Movie
Old
  (#1)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 670 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default Batman and Superman Movie - 07-21-2013, 10:36 | posts: 1,130 | Location: UK

Variety news link

So, it finally makes sense why Man of Steel was, what is was: a brooding tonally wrong movie written by the writer of the Nolan Batman's so they could link the two together.

Not sure if I'm happy or sad they are not doing an assemble movie with the rest of the Justice League - maybe Wonder Woman would be a little too cheesy or camp for the 21st Century Nolan style.

Don't get me wrong, Nolan had the right idea for Batman, but feel his writer has limitations which shone through with the tone of Man of Steel. Which as each day passes, I have gotten to despise more and more.

Old
  (#2)
(.)(.)
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 580sli (water)
Processor: 2600k @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus M4E
Memory: Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Enermax Rev 1250w
Default 07-21-2013, 11:00 | posts: 4,645 | Location: Logd n jst 2 change avatar

As you stated - Camp as campy as a two blokes going at it in a tent. (no offense if thats your thing).

Personally i find lots of superhereos in tights on screen all at once to be to much to. No only that, but everyone is complaining of Hollywood and its fetish for constant remakes, then the same people cant wait for the next remake to be released.

Justice League is the same thing as The Avengers, just different characters/actors, the plot will be the same = Evil Master and Minions taking over the world - Massive battle ensues in well known American city - Everyone gets their arses kicked expect for one or two who go on to save the day blah blah blah blah.

They did spider-man trilogy, then straight away did a remake, wh..why. It was the exact same thing as the previous movies, but with different actors. And everybody just ate it up.

I dont want my kids going on about how great Batman and Superman are when they're my age. I want them to have some thing new but just as awesome.

I fail to see whats so interesting about any of these characters.

Quote:
Snyder said, “I’m so excited to begin working again with Henry Cavill in the world we created, and I can’t wait to expand the DC Universe in this next chapter. Let’s face it, it’s beyond mythological to have Superman and our new Batman facing off, since they are the greatest Super Heroes in the world.
Seen it! Watch Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 2 Spoiler... Spoiler.. (im warning you) Spoiler...
 Click to show spoiler

Last edited by (.)(.); 07-21-2013 at 11:11.

Old
  (#3)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 670 FTW Sli H2O/780 TFIV
Processor: 2600k@4.8 H2O/2500k@4.5
Mainboard: P8Z68-V PRO/P8Z77-V
Memory: corsair ddr3 8GB@1866
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus/onboard
PSU: Corsair HX850w/TX850w
Default 07-21-2013, 13:56 | posts: 5,161 | Location: FLA,USA

Um actually the first Spider-Man trilogy and the latest one The Amassing Spider-Man are two different comics they rebooted the comics a long time ago so the silver screen reboot was not a Hollywood idea.

Old
  (#4)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru

Default 07-21-2013, 14:40 | posts: 1,130 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by (.)(.) View Post
As you stated - Camp as campy as a two blokes going at it in a tent. (no offense if thats your thing).

Personally i find lots of superhereos in tights on screen all at once to be to much to. No only that, but everyone is complaining of Hollywood and its fetish for constant remakes, then the same people cant wait for the next remake to be released.

Justice League is the same thing as The Avengers, just different characters/actors, the plot will be the same = Evil Master and Minions taking over the world - Massive battle ensues in well known American city - Everyone gets their arses kicked expect for one or two who go on to save the day blah blah blah blah.

They did spider-man trilogy, then straight away did a remake, wh..why. It was the exact same thing as the previous movies, but with different actors. And everybody just ate it up.

I dont want my kids going on about how great Batman and Superman are when they're my age. I want them to have some thing new but just as awesome.

I fail to see whats so interesting about any of these characters.

Seen it! Watch Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 2 Spoiler... Spoiler.. (im warning you) Spoiler...
 Click to show spoiler

The difference between Batman and Superman is Graphic Novel and Comic.

Srsly.

Superman is meant for children, or the child in you.

Batman is for angst teen-agers, or adults whose life is in perpetual conflict.

The interesting thing about Superman has always been his absolute good and 'red, white and blue' belief system despite having lost everybody in his family, a father who abandoned him, adoptive parents and not being able to be close to anyone because their life would then be in jeopardy. Oh, and on top of it all, even if he he did impregnate someone accidentally, the mother of the child would die during the third trimester as each 'kick' from the baby would have the potential to kill the mother.

The interesting thing about Batman was explained to my personal satisfaction in the Nolan trilogy. He's not a god. He has no superpowers. He just believes in vigilate justice in a society that turns the other way and ignores injustice, hiding behind bureaucratic BS and self-obsession. He's the anti-hero that does the job no one else can, legally or illegally.

Now, Man of Steel failed critically for many reasons, but missed the mark significantly in regard to 'what' Superman actually is about.

Meshing them together when one of the pieces doesn't fit is just weird - but in Hollywood terms it makes sense.

Old
  (#5)
SOLLERHOLLER
Banned

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
Processor: Intel C2Q Q9650 3.00ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5G41T-MLX3
Memory: 8gb Kingston HyperX 1333
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX 7.1
PSU: Superchannel 550watt
Default 07-21-2013, 15:28 | posts: 221 | Location: South Africa

Okay I never seen anyone go that far... But while we on the subject? I did
like the man steel movie it was very well done batman was all good got to
give credit where credit is due on those films

Old
  (#6)
Jhetski
The Lonely Guru

Videocard: Palit 7300GT DDR 550/1500 ^_^
Processor: sempron64 2600+@230FSB HTx3 1.84GHz
Mainboard: foxconn 6100K8MB-RS
Memory: 2x 512 Apacer ddr400
Soundcard: onboard 5.1 realtek + 2.1 speakers
PSU: Task 450w crystalfan
Default 07-21-2013, 16:41 | posts: 2,692 | Location: Manila

Sorry but the first thing that came in to my head after reading the title:

Old
  (#7)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru

Default 07-21-2013, 16:44 | posts: 1,130 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLLERHOLLER View Post
Okay I never seen anyone go that far... But while we on the subject? I did
like the man steel movie it was very well done batman was all good got to
give credit where credit is due on those films
Well you did ask...

It failed critically, not financially; just critically. Therein lies part of the problem: if it failed financially but not critically, they would not make another one and certainly not create a batman/superman hybrid follow up movie.

This is what you need to realise about big IP's like these; they are not interested in the subject matter and context, they are only interested in making money out of them.

We got lucky/were fortunate with Batman, because those were good movies - the fact they agreed to have the same writer of a Batman movie write the Superman movie (practically unchecked against the mythology) is a clear example.

Man of Steel was not a good illustration of Superman, and although looked nice, lacked all substance needed for a connection with the audience, wrapped up in a non-linear structure and illogical motivation.

Example:

Anyone from krypton has the same strengths as superman when in close proximity to earths sun - and does not have any problem with respitory functionality.

To imply Superman or any kryptonion would have an issue in a non-kryptonion atmosphere states that you need something which agrees with your respiratory system, to allow blood to pump and the brain to work etc.

Yet...

We see superman flying and zipping about the earth well above the point of oxygen, and even fly from where Zods ship was in or it with no oxygen.

So, apparently, he doesn't need to breathe, but the minute anyone attempts to breathe a non-kryptonion atmosphere, they got problems or vice versa.

It's what you call weak BS movie logic shoved in there to make your leading character weakened for the overall dumb plot to make sense, when in doing so actually makes the plot make even less sense than before.

I wrote a huge review, but the forum reset deleted all 3,000 words of it.

Old
  (#8)
TirolokoRD
Maha Guru

Videocard: PNY 770 Superclocked
Processor: SB 2500K @ 4.3GHZ
Mainboard: Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 z68
Memory: 16GB Assorted @1600MHZ
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx
PSU: Antec 850W
Default 07-21-2013, 17:04 | posts: 1,863 | Location: Dominican Republic

Man.....you seriously got an issue with the movie....

Old
  (#9)
SOLLERHOLLER
Banned

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
Processor: Intel C2Q Q9650 3.00ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5G41T-MLX3
Memory: 8gb Kingston HyperX 1333
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX 7.1
PSU: Superchannel 550watt
Default 07-21-2013, 17:11 | posts: 221 | Location: South Africa

okay... that was over the top...

Old
  (#10)
llerenaprincipe
Ancient Guru

Videocard: DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
Processor: Opteron 165 @ 2.8
Mainboard: DFI LanParty NF4 ULTRA-D
Memory: PC4000 2gig G.SKILL 3-4-4-8 528mhz
Soundcard: AUDIGY 2 ZS (SWEE-TUH)
PSU: 550
Default 07-21-2013, 17:50 | posts: 7,533 | Location: Carrollton,Ky

Um...is he trying to make sense out of a SUPERHERO movie?
Maybe he should ask how on earth do people on Krypton speak english.
And EVERYONE knows Superman's story, that's enough audience connection. The Soundtrack was amazing too

Old
  (#11)
CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 3GB HD7970OC/2GB HD7770
Processor: 4770K@4.5GHz/Q6600@3.6GHz
Mainboard: Z87-GD65 / P5K PREMIUM
Memory: 16GB@1866MHz/4GB@1066MHz
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: 1200W/900W
Default 07-21-2013, 18:07 | posts: 5,679 | Location: Wolverhampton/United Kingdom

Batman Begins was ok, Dark Knight was good and entertaining, Dark Knight Rises was a complete bore and fell off when compared to its prequels. Then came Man Of Steel which for all intense and purposes was a complete and utter train wreck of a movie!! They completely messed up the superman character making him basically not give a f**k about human life and just goes about smashing up buildings without any recall or regard for the humans trapped inside. The rest of the cast were completely two dimensional and only served to move the plot along. The whole thing with supermans earth father was a mess, I didn't feel a thing when he was sucked away in the movie it was out of the blue and totally unnecessary. The beginning was ok if a bit short they could of explained Krypton a lot better than just starting off when the war has broke out. General Zod was a decent character and you could tell Micheal Shannon was just doing his best with a pretty mediocre script. Also, SUPERMAN DOES NOT KILL PEOPLE!!! Yet he is beating the crap out of Zod only just snap his neck at the end! Your telling me that being punched by superman, smashed through buildings wouldn't have done that!?

This Super + Batman movie is a disaster waiting to happen, I shall be avoiding this movie like it was the plague.

Old
  (#12)
The General
Ancient Guru

Videocard: PNYGTX 5501GB
Processor: Intel Q6600
Mainboard: HP Cheap
Memory: DDR2 4GB
Soundcard: Headphones
PSU: 550W
Default 07-21-2013, 18:30 | posts: 2,943 | Location: MD/CA

Considering the fact that Man of steel sucks and all the rest of other batman movies will continue to suck without Micheal Keaton, i have no intention on watching this too.

You want to see real superman and batman stuff, fun stuff. Watch Reeve Superman movies, Smallville, superman returns, batman 1 and 2. all the other stuff is trash.

Old
  (#13)
H83
Maha Guru

Videocard: Pallit GTX570
Processor: Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5Q DELUXE
Memory: G. Skill 4G DDR2 @1130MHz
Soundcard: Sound Blaster SB Audigy
PSU: Corsair TX 850W V2
Default 07-21-2013, 19:04 | posts: 1,264 | Location: Mars

Please, no more remakes, sequels, reboots and all that crap!!!

Please do something original, like the first Matrix!!!

Old
  (#14)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru

Default 07-21-2013, 23:09 | posts: 1,130 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirolokoRD View Post
Man.....you seriously got an issue with the movie....
Man of Steel? yeah. Batman? No.

Man of Steel had amazing trailers and confidence was high - I even spent the weekend prior to watching it absorbing all of the previous films, from Christopher Reeve through to the 2006 failfest.

I then made sure to watch it at a 2PM showing on a monday to ensure I would not be disturbed and took my comic book movie buddy with me.

I was not amused, he was utterly furious and wanted to leave half-way, but I said to hold out and see if the non-linear structure and poor script would pay off...it didn't.

Another fail logic was the Codex.

This BS plot point was stoopid: So Zod was about to be sent to the phantom zone, he could've said "Hey! wait a minute, Jor El stole the Codex and his wife knows where it is, I was trying to stop them! Remember the Codex? the thing which is meant to be the sole lynchpin of our existence on Krypton!"

But no, he whines like a bee-hatch and doesn't even mention it.

Nor does he mention that Jor El decided (for some unexplained reason) to have a natural-born child.

The whole script came off like someone who doesn't just understand Superman (if that's what you think I'm pissed about) they also do not understand how to write, because that's a ridiculous plot point to hinge your entire movie on.

Great trailers, shambles of a movie.

Old
  (#15)
Phragmeister
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 560-Ti
Processor: i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6TD V2
Memory: Corsair Dom 12GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatal1ty
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 07-21-2013, 23:32 | posts: 1,297 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by H83 View Post
Watched this the other day. Still amazed by it.

One of my favourite scenes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zICmyuNvs

Old
  (#16)
(.)(.)
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 580sli (water)
Processor: 2600k @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus M4E
Memory: Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Enermax Rev 1250w
Default 07-22-2013, 03:43 | posts: 4,645 | Location: Logd n jst 2 change avatar

Again, check out the battle of Superman vs Batman in The Dark Knight Returns. Works great in a cartoon, but in a live action film... Batman doesn't have superpowers..

But hay, my limited imagination is just one of a few reasons why I'm not a script writer or movie producer.. mkay

Old
  (#17)
Andrés
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
Processor: Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5E
Memory: 4x1Gb Kingston DDR2 667
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium
PSU: CM Silent Pro M700
Default 07-22-2013, 04:31 | posts: 4,476 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by H83 View Post
Please, no more remakes, sequels, reboots and all that crap!!!

You can bet for sure that within 10 years someone will make a remake of "The Matrix".

Old
  (#18)
kanej2007
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600 4.7Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-VPro
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Vengeance C8
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X Ultra 7.1
PSU: Fractal Design R2 1000W
Default 07-22-2013, 05:58 | posts: 6,669 | Location: Dubai, UAE / London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrés View Post
You can bet for sure that within 10 years someone will make a remake of "The Matrix".
Possibly although remakes are rarely better than the original.

I highly doubt a remake of Matrix will be anywhere as near as good as the first.

Old
  (#19)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru

Default 07-22-2013, 09:48 | posts: 1,130 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanej2007 View Post
Possibly although remakes are rarely better than the original.

I highly doubt a remake of Matrix will be anywhere as near as good as the first.
Yeah, they'd put will smith as Morpheus, Megan fox as trinity, and will ferrel as agent smith - "because he's the wacky mad character, right?".

Old
  (#20)
kanej2007
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600 4.7Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-VPro
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Vengeance C8
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X Ultra 7.1
PSU: Fractal Design R2 1000W
Default 07-22-2013, 10:00 | posts: 6,669 | Location: Dubai, UAE / London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobyluggs View Post
Yeah, they'd put will smith as Morpheus, Megan fox as trinity, and will ferrel as agent smith - "because he's the wacky mad character, right?".
Lol, could you imagine how it'd turn out? More of a comedy/action flick!

Old
  (#21)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru

Default 07-22-2013, 11:45 | posts: 1,130 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanej2007 View Post
Lol, could you imagine how it'd turn out? More of a comedy/action flick!
Yeah, exactly.

Hollywood rarely understands its source material - unless they give absolute power to someone at the creation process stage who knows wtf they are doing.

key example: Star Trek 2009 versus Star Trek: into darkness.

First film had a solid writing partnership, and the second had Damon Lindelof in there for some unknown and frankly insane reason.

Roberto Orci, one of the outstanding writers of the first movie and of other great scripts should've had full reign of the script.

Lindelof needs to die - he's the one who ****ed up Prometheus and teased us with 6 years of unresolved plotlines in the TV show Lost. He also ignored the source material for World War Z, ditching/rewriting the original script by J. Michael Straczynski.

This guy is evil, but knows how to massage the egos of studio executives by doing exactly what they tell him to do.

Kinda a studio executives wet dream, tbh.

I have issues with this guy and my dreams involve a shovel, rope and a shallow grave.

Old
  (#22)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 670 FTW Sli H2O/780 TFIV
Processor: 2600k@4.8 H2O/2500k@4.5
Mainboard: P8Z68-V PRO/P8Z77-V
Memory: corsair ddr3 8GB@1866
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus/onboard
PSU: Corsair HX850w/TX850w
Default 07-22-2013, 14:01 | posts: 5,161 | Location: FLA,USA

Quote:
I'd say William Dafoe as Smith he comes of more psychotic and less like a retard but that's just me they get things wrong in Hollywood but not that wrong.

Quote:

I have issues with this guy and my dreams involve a shovel, rope and a shallow grave.
Zip ties are easier and quicker plus they hurt more.

Last edited by Loophole35; 07-22-2013 at 14:04.

Old
  (#23)
Da{N}ka
Master Guru

Videocard: SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
Processor: Q9650 3.6 + Freezer 7 Pro
Mainboard: RampageFormula + Acer24"
Memory: 4GB OCZ2N1066SR2GK + OCZ
Soundcard: Sennheiser PC-150
PSU: BeQuiet DarkPower PRO 850
Default 07-22-2013, 14:33 | posts: 597 | Location: Zurich

Why don't they do a p0rn movie with Wonder Woman and the Invisible man ?
I'd watch that.

Old
  (#24)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX770 4GB FTW
Processor: i7 4770k / H100i
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: SB X-FI Fatality
PSU: BFG 680 Watt
Default 07-22-2013, 15:47 | posts: 4,633 | Location: Washington DC