Latest HL Updates Killed FakeFactory Mod

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Rich_Guy, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Seems the latest updates have killed the fakefactory mod, now when trying to launch (using v10), i just get a box saying :-

MountAppFilesystem() failed:You don't have all GCFs needed to play this game.

Yet i was playing it fine a few days ago before the updates, vanilla HL2 and the Episodes work fine still, anyone else not able to use the mod now ?

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Actually that's not quite true! There is an alpha version for CM 2013 http://cinematicmod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2376, which supports the new system. I've been using it for a few days and works well! Haven't played much of it though as I will probably replay it through once the final CM 2013 is released.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
  4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Ah right, didn't know that, cheers :D

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Might have to give this a try now i upgraded to Haswell.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

More than capable of handling it :). Just remember to use the configurator, play around with the character pimper (HD models), and remember to max out the in game graphics options (you can change them, just as long as you don't set them to less than 'high').

There is a slight 'issue' at the moment with Source 2013 (really just a modded Source 2009 for Linux support and the new file system apparently), it is in regards to the Directx level. It may want to set Directx 8 as default! To change this, you have to run:
    -dxlevel 95
    after the program launcher, or use the registry mod Fakefactory posted.

The -dxlevel is just a Directx limiter for the internal game software, it doesn't actually set anything (this is what is set to '80' when it comes up Directx 8). That is, typing in -dxlevel 112 won't give you Directx 11.2, even though it says Directx 11.2. In fact, you can type in -dxlevel 2013, and in game it says Directx 201.3, but doesn't mean you have a Directx 201.3 card :D.

-dxlevel 95 is Directx 9.0+ (actually 9.0c + managed Directx).

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well im back up and running, in the end i just downloaded all the files i was missing from the SteamApps folder, and replaced them. :)

I got the files from this thread here :-

http://cinematicmod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2383

I only needed the top 7.

Will have to get v12 down now, see whats changed from v10 :D

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

CM 2013 is much improved. It's not just changed to support Source 2013, that was just something that was changed to it in the last couple of weeks.

The improvements to the game, copied from Fakefactory's comments for the changes between CM 12.21 and CM 2013 alpha:
    - Rework of every single map in the game
    - Improved lighting in all maps
    - Improved landscapes and foliage. Most outdoor maps are completely re-sculped with new displacements
    - Changed the old smoke explosions (moving alpha-texture planes, simple and ugly) to particle effects
    - Dropped Parallax mapping because of crashes (duh!), but improved normal mapping in the game
    - Tweaked self-shadowing effects
    - Added Bumpmapping to most old (flat) textures
    - Many new HD textures
    - Reworked the dynamic soundtrack system
    - Reworked Client-Code, fixing all known crash errors
    - Fixed all known plot-stoppers (like faulting npc scripts and event-triggers)

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    2013 looks amazing, may grab that one instead :D

I spose it won't matter that ive got v10 on, as im guessing 2013 will make its own folder to go into (like v10), so i can just run it by the 2013 .exe's without interference from v10 (like how you can run the vanillas still while having v10 on, and vice versa) ?

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's right, CM 2013 will install to a completely separate folder. You do need the new Steam system though, it won't work with the GCF's. I had to copy the original files into the CM 2013 folder (without overwriting the CM 2013 files) as the CM 2013 didn't pick up my Half Life 2 install. CM 2013 needs some of the vpk files from the new vanilla version to work.

Even though it is a bit of a hassle, I think CM 2013 is worth it, even in alpha! I'll be waiting until the final comes out to play it though. Fakefactory usually releases update patches to alpha's/beta's to the final version (unless all the files change in which case there is little point).

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of 2013, so put v12 on, and got hassle anyway :cry:

HL2 runs fine (and looks amazing), but the episodes are a no go, got flashing textures, missing textures, screen going black etc.... on those, so bugger knows whats up there :(

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I fixed the bugger!!! :D :D :D

When i start the episodes, i found if i go into the video options and change the Texture Detail to low, it all goes right, and i can then change it back to Very High, with no effect, i.e, it goes back to Very High Texture Detail, but stays right, woohoo :D

It looks bloody incredible using the Black Mesa SweetFX, its a huge difference from v10, and it still flys along with everything switched on in the Configurator, and in game options maxed. :cool:

Some of the new HD models for the characters look incredible as well!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

CM 2013 is even better :) Like I said, it's not just to support the new Steam system, that was something that changed only a couple of weeks ago. Originally CM 2013 (which is Cinematic mod v13) was on the old Steam system, and people were required to back up their GCF files so they didn't get erased during the Steam changeover. Since Source 2013 became available he managed to convert over to it.

The release CM 2013 should be very nice indeed :).

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah im just going to wait for the release of 2013, its amazing work :)

15. |-c2c-|Rom

|-c2c-|Rom Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660TI OC
    Hi

I wanna give it a try,so i just wanna be sure i do things correctly

Install Hl2,HL2 episod 1,HL2 episod 2,sdk base,sdk 2006,sdk 2007,Start the game once for the 3 game,and after install the fake factory mode

Thanks

PS:Will i be good to run it correctly with my set up ?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah thats right, but if you get the same error i got in my OP when trying to run the mod (due to Valves new SteamPipe), then you'll probably need some of the files missing from the SteamApps folder like i did, but all you have to do there is, open your SteamApps folder, open the thread i linked to for the files, and then just check which ones you don't have, then you just download those ones, and stick them in the SteamApps folder to get it running, and your set-up will run it, and handle it fine :)

The mods 8.1gb in size, and unpacks to about 30gb, so it takes a while to unpack and install, and also get the 12.21 patch, which when unpacked, gives you another folder called FAKEFACTORY_CM12, and all you do with that is, copy it into the sourcemods folder where the original FAKEFACTORY_CM12 folder is, and it will ask if you want to merge, so say yes, and everytime it says theres already a file called xxxx, you just select to overwrite (replace) them all.

Theres 2 konfigurators in the folder as well for some reason (which you run before starting the game after you've installed the mod), ones called DINO Konfigurator, and one just called Konfigurator, but i just ran the one called Konfigurator to set it up, and for the character pimper, you just click on all the Alyx models at the top one by one to open all the different models (will appear below), then you just select which one you want to use and click to install it, and you just do the same for the others, Maincharacters (Barney, Vance, Breen etc...), as well as the HD packs for the Civilians and Combines.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  17. |-c2c-|Rom

|-c2c-|Rom Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660TI OC
    Thanks bud will give it a try :banana::banana::banana:

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Man im loving this, looks bloody stunning, ive got Alyx wearing skimpy denim shorts, crop top and a cap :D

'I've got a standard relocation coupon, just like everybody else!' :p

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    On to Nova Prospekt now, looks amazing, as does Highway 17 and the Sandtraps, look so different from the vanilla :cool:

Theres a bug in it though after the sandtraps, after you kill the big jobbie, and the vort comes out tells you to follow him, he only goes so far then stops, so you can't go any further, but i found a solution on the FakeFactory forums :-

Put your crosshair on the vort, open the console and type in developer 1, then npc_select, then close the console.

With your crosshair still on the vort, re-open the console, and there should be a red box around the vort, if so, type in npc_go, then close the console.

The guy at the top will now be able to open the gate so you can go into learn about the ferapods, but the vort will not follow you up there, he stays where he is, but still tells you what to do, i.e throw the pod into the pit, then onto the combine on the stake etc..., but when it comes to the wooden logs with the spikes on you go through, they can't be opened, as the vort needs to be there to open them, so you have to open the console and type in noclip, this allows you to just walk through them, then when yer through, just type noclip in again, then developer 0 and carry on playing.

Thats for anyone whos playing it, or going to play it, and gets stuck there.:D

20. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    wouldnt have these problems if valve would of left things alone.

they say they did this update to increase loading speed.

I had no problem with loading speed.

I found I mod I liked and I can not even play it, because of the bugs.

and then it takes long time for fixes.

aint nobody got time to fix problems steam create.

edit: something is messed up. last week nightmare house 2 worked with no problem.

but this week after reinstalling the half life games. nightmare house 2 has missing textures.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013