Display Driver Uninstaller Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Wagnard, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Driver Uninstaller (DDU) / Cleaner made for Display Drivers.(NVIDIA/AMD/INTEL)

Display Driver Uninstaller is a driver removal utility that can help you completely uninstall AMD/NVIDIA/Intel graphics card drivers and packages from your system, without leaving leftovers behind (including registry keys, folders and files, driver store).

The AMD/NVIDIA video drivers can normally be uninstalled from the Windows Control panel, this driver uninstaller program was designed to be used in cases where the standard driver uninstall fails, or anyway when you need to thoroughly delete NVIDIA and ATI video card drivers.

The current effect after you use this driver removal tool will be similar as if its the first time you install a new driver just like a fresh, clean install of Windows. As with any tool of this kind, we recommend creating a new system restore point before using it, so that you can revert your system at any time if you run into problems.

This tool act similar to what Driver sweeper do + the extra mentioned above.

If you have problem installing older driver or newer one, give it a try as there are some reports that it fix thoses problems.

RECOMMENDED USAGE :

-The tool can be used in Normal mode but for absolute stability when using DDU, Safemode is always the best.
    -Make a backup or a system restore (but it should normally be pretty safe).
    -It is also recommended to put the DDU folder in your antivirus/protection software exclusion list.

-You do NOT need to uninstall the driver before using DDU.

- I would like to gather feedback from you guys. Tell me if it was success or not.
    Make a backup or a system restore point , DDU does massive changes to your files / registry

-For people with driver problem, if this tool gave you any success into fixing some issues your are currently experiencing, please share your result.

Keep note that NVIDIA/AMD did not have anything to do with this, I do not work at or for NVIDIA/AMD and they should not be held responsible for anything that may go wrong with this application.

Windows XP up to Windows 10 is supported X86/X64 (not sure for WinXP x64)

DOWNLOAD :

Official DDU Download Website:
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com

Official DDU Download Mirror:
    Guru3D Official mirror

SOURCE : Github

USEFUL TIP:

To solve the infinite boot loop issue that some users are having, you must boot with the DVD/USB (Windows installation disk) in recovery with Command prompt and type :

Option 1 (recommended) : bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

If option 1 is not working,

Option 2 : bootrec /rebuildbcd

There may need to be some adjustement if you have a dualboot system. but if not , it should work correctly.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  2. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    This Cleaner is a pretty good CleanUP Utility as it helps get rid of broken Entries listed in Device after a bad install or uninstall of a driver.

BTW, I noticed that the tool now does a full CleanUP of all installed packages.
    Good Job.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  3. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Thanks for feedback.
    After some good reports, Ill begin the files removing in windows directory.

Just want to make sure that what we have now is working correctly then I'll go to second phase.

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    It's probably a good thing Hilbert reverted into a month-old backup; the earlier knee-jerk posts in OP's previous thread aren't here anymore.

I've yet to test this uninstaller/cleaner because I'm still waiting for a new Catalyst version to try out.
    My laptop's HDD isn't exactly the spiffiest drive to handle restarts without having to take a toilet break in-between.

5. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    I get this error when trying to uninstall Driver

Uninstalling AMD driver if found.
    Deleting the specified driver package from the machine failed

because it is not an third-party package.
    Removed AMD from the driver store.

The installation for the driver is broken and cannot be uninstalled
    by normal means.

6. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Is this the complete log?

just to be sure because i'm no English expert,(not my native language)
    You are saying that it fail to uninstall this particular broken installation?

If so i have a solution I have posted today on svn. Ill compile it soon.

Here is 1.6.1

7. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3

Uninstalling AMD driver if found.

Driver package 'oem4.inf' deleted.
    Driver package 'oem5.inf' deleted.
    Cleaning process/services
    Cleaning Directory
    The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static' because it is being used by another process.
    Cleaning Regkeys
    Scanning for new device...
    Clean uninstall complete !

The Uninstaller also seems to also have a problem when uninstalling Catalyst Control Center. I will test again after you upload your next build

8. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I know what is causing The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static' because it is being used by another process.

Explorer.exe simply hold a file. I have yet implemented a work around for it. SO for now just kill explorer.exe before starting the clean up. You should not see the problem again.

This problem seems to happens randomly. Sometime explorer hold the file, sometimes it doesnt. In a future build I will probably kill explorer.exe than Cleanip then restart explorer.exe

The first errors messages is not really an error. They are more informative and can be ignored. Its more debug messages... It wont uninstall a driver that came with windows and that is currently in-use.
    But Ill still give it a look.

1.6.1 wont fix "the process cannot access the file ..." it will be in another build.

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    I think that's one of the reasons Atiman Uninstaller starts its cleaning routine before explorer.exe is being started after a restart, and prevents it to be started before the cleaning routine is finished.
    Also, Atiman won't run until it can / you disable UAC.

10. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Ill upload 1.6.2 in a few mins. It has the Kill explorer.exe and restart.

EDIT: First post Updated with 1.6.2 (include the explorer.exe kill)

11. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Great, one thing I like about this tool so far is that it does not require you to restart your PC. Unfortunately other cleaners such as Driver Sweeper and ATiman both require users to restart their PC.

12. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Link on first post updated.

13. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Still can't get rid of the broken driver installed in Device Manager. Also the core static bug is still there. Apparently it's held by more than one process other than explorer.exe....

14. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Try to delete that folder manually. Sometime windows will tell you what holds it.
    after the cleanup what do you see on device manager under display?

Even after cleanup you cant re-install a new driver version? it fail completely?

What happens if you try to delete it manually from device manager?

15. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    No, I could always install another driver. But I like keeping my OS clean so I don't like to see entries left over in device manager from the previous driver. Iv'e been looking for a tool that could get rid of those entries but I have yet to find one. I took a look at some other folders listed and found that there are some packages that does not get uninstalled.

16. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    What does the entry look like?

The hardware IDs could be usefull too ( something like \ven_1002&.....)
    You can see it with device manager under the Details tab of your device.

17. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    It looks like any normal installed display driver entry. However when trying to install the driver it fails with the following error.

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

ATI Radeon HD 5570

System cannot find file specified.

Oh just so you know I'm unable to look at the Id's or perform an Uninstall because the driver does not install. The installation is broken....

18. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    installation with AMD catalyst or the detection after the removal?

If its with catalyst after you cleanup with my tool, try a reboot. and then reinstall it.

19. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Actually I already did try rebooting and also even entered safe mode to try uninstalling. But my efforts were all unsuccessful. BTW this is not the first time I experienced the device manager bug it happened a few times before. To get rid of it I ended up re-installing my OS whenever the device manager bug showed up or waited until a few more Display Drivers became broken and could not be uninstalled by normal means.

20. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Just to be sure, you can have a working driver with updating the Amd catalyst driver. Its just failing to install the *default* driver after clean up?

Just to be sure my tool didn't mess your system...

From what you just edited, it seem you os or registry become corrupt overtime... Kinda weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.