Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > General Software and Applications
General Software and Applications Trouble with software/DirectX or other programs like Detonator Destroyer.

Can someone explain how pwdhash works?
Old
  (#1)
kiya
Member Guru

Videocard: GTX 660 Twin Frozr III
Processor: Intel i3 3220 3.3GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8H61-M LX
Memory: G.Skill NT DDR3 4 GB
Soundcard: Onboard, Creative Speaker
PSU: CM Thunder 500W
Default Can someone explain how pwdhash works? - 06-14-2013, 16:34 | posts: 137 | Location: India

I just learned about the pwdhash add-on for Firefox, i looked up the description but i am slightly confused as to how it works..

Quote:
PwdHash is an browser extension that transparently converts a user's password into a domain-specific password. The user can activate this hashing by choosing passwords that start with a special prefix (@@) or by pressing a special password key (F2). PwdHash automatically replaces the contents of these password fields with a one-way hash of the pair (password, domain-name). As a result, the site only sees a domain-specific hash of the password, as opposed to the password itself. A break-in at a low security site exposes password hashes rather than an actual password. We emphasize that the hash function we use is public and can be computed on any machine which enables users to login to their web accounts from any machine in the world. Hashing is done using a Pseudo Random Function (PRF).
Can some one please explain these 2 things to me-
1. one-way hashes
2. domain specific hash

Old
  (#2)
mbk1969
Maha Guru

Videocard: GeForce 780 GTX
Processor: I7-4930
Mainboard: Asus p9x79
Memory: G Skill RipjawZ, 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard+NuForce Icon HDP
PSU: 1000 W
Default 06-14-2013, 16:55 | posts: 1,469 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
I just learned about the pwdhash add-on for Firefox, i looked up the description but i am slightly confused as to how it works..

Can some one please explain these 2 things to me-
1. one-way hashes
2. domain specific hash
I guess, "one-way hash" is the term born in marketing department. Every hash means (and tries) to be one-way - i.e. non-revertable, non-decryptable.

And domain specific hash can mean that even if you type the same password for every site you are logging in, adding the domain name to the actual password makes the hashes (i.e. passwords in the eyes of domains) unique for every domain (i.e. site).

Last edited by mbk1969; 06-14-2013 at 17:00.

Old
  (#3)
kiya
Member Guru

Videocard: GTX 660 Twin Frozr III
Processor: Intel i3 3220 3.3GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8H61-M LX
Memory: G.Skill NT DDR3 4 GB
Soundcard: Onboard, Creative Speaker
PSU: CM Thunder 500W
Default 06-16-2013, 00:19 | posts: 137 | Location: India

thanks, i just searched the internet for what hashes are and how they work, now i understand it. Thanks..