Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

DICE: No mods for Battlefield 4
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default DICE: No mods for Battlefield 4 - 06-14-2013, 08:06 | posts: 19,549 | Location: Guru3D testlab

ICE general manager Karl-Magnus Troedsson confirmed to PC Gamer at E3 that Battlefield 4 will not support mods. Troedsson caveated that user-generated content is something that DICE finds very interes...

DICE: No mods for Battlefield 4

Old
  (#2)
Svarog
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 680 4GB
Processor: Intel Core 4770K
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
Memory: 8GB G.Skill ARES 2133 MHz
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZxR
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760
Default 06-14-2013, 08:17 | posts: 3,311 | Location: Nederland

It's what made me quit after BF2, no Mods destroyed the BF Series.

Old
  (#3)
kosh_neranek
Master Guru

Videocard: SLI MSi GTX 660Ti PE@1190
Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K @ 4.8
Mainboard: ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
Memory: 16 GB 2133MHZ G.Skill
Soundcard: TRITTON 720+
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 06-14-2013, 08:23 | posts: 195 | Location: Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKillNL View Post
Maybe you should stop playin CoD that has been ripping off customers with the same ****ty engine and even nowadays looks crap and try BF3 with all the premium goodies(maps, game types) It isn't the same as creating it on your own,I know, but I doubt you can come up with something revolutionary that the lads missed..

Old
  (#4)
WhiteLightning
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780GTX ACX 1215/1750
Processor: i7-2600k HT @ 4.5 +H70 PP
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING
Memory: Gskill 2133Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 1000 watt
Default 06-14-2013, 08:31 | posts: 22,483 | Location: Netherlands

Id rather see Official ranked servers and non official / ranked which allow mods and stuff.
Ive always enjoyed user created content much more then the official released stuff.

Old
  (#5)
yasamoka
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7970CF@QX2710 1440p 110Hz
Processor: i7 930 @3.61GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium
Memory: 6GB Corsair Dominators
Soundcard: Audio-GD NFB-11.32 +DT880
Default 06-14-2013, 08:32 | posts: 2,875 | Location: Lebanon

Hehehe...suckers.

Old
  (#6)
FULMTL
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 660Ti + AOC 27"
Processor: 2500K + CM Hyper 212 EVO
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-I
Memory: 8GB Vengeance LP 1600Mhz
Soundcard: Custom Shure SRH940 + E7
PSU: Strider Gold Evo 750W
Default 06-14-2013, 08:35 | posts: 6,553 | Location: Portland, Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKillNL View Post
Oh yeah? well it made me stop playing FPS games in general. OHHHHHHH
But no seriously, custom maps FTW.

Old
  (#7)
kosh_neranek
Master Guru

Default 06-14-2013, 09:21 | posts: 195 | Location: Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
Id rather see Official ranked servers and non official / ranked which allow mods and stuff.
Ive always enjoyed user created content much more then the official released stuff.
I wouldn't mind seeing unofficial mods to BF4 or other games, but I must say that last time I enjoyed custom made maps & stuff was in the Quake 2/3 era.
But saying that not including this option kills a game is a little far fetched

Old
  (#8)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7950 Vapor-X 1175/1550
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.8
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard: Audigy 2 Platinum Ex 5.1
PSU: AcBel M8 750
Default 06-14-2013, 09:39 | posts: 23,460 | Location: NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh_neranek View Post
Maybe you should stop playin CoD that has been ripping off customers with the same ****ty engine and even nowadays looks crap and try BF3 with all the premium goodies(maps, game types) It isn't the same as creating it on your own,I know, but I doubt you can come up with something revolutionary that the lads missed..
LOL you don't know what you're talking about...obviously a Battlefield newbie...

BF3 was pure ****e in the eyes of any player who had been around since the beginning.
EA killed anything and everything that was good about the game, removing commander mode, forcing players to use Origin, introducing a ridiculous ranking system and discouraging teamplay.

On top of that there were hardly any maps released with the game and players were charged for DLC's later tat were nothing more than extra maps....maps that were free in BF2 (like Armored Fury) AND requiring an "online pass" for console users who owned 2nd hand copies of the game. Essentially charging the owner twice to get access to ranked servers.

BF2 never would have been popular for so long either if it hadn't been for the awesome mods available. Desert Combat, Forgotten Hope, Project Reality, Point Of Existence, the list goes on..... without these to keep players interested BF3 prob would not have made the sales it did....keep that in mind.

Goodbye EA, hello Bohemian Studios.

Last edited by Pill Monster; 06-14-2013 at 09:50.

Old
  (#9)
kosh_neranek
Master Guru

Default 06-14-2013, 10:25 | posts: 195 | Location: Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Monster View Post
LOL you don't know what you're talking about...obviously a Battlefield newbie...

BF3 was pure ****e in the eyes of any player who had been around since the beginning.
EA killed anything and everything that was good about the game, removing commander mode, forcing players to use Origin, introducing a ridiculous ranking system and discouraging teamplay.

On top of that there were hardly any maps released with the game and players were charged for DLC's later tat were nothing more than extra maps....maps that were free in BF2 (like Armored Fury) AND requiring an "online pass" for console users who owned 2nd hand copies of the game. Essentially charging the owner twice to get access to ranked servers.

BF2 never would have been popular for so long either if it hadn't been for the awesome mods available. Desert Combat, Forgotten Hope, Project Reality, Point Of Existence, the list goes on..... without these to keep players interested BF3 prob would not have made the sales it did....keep that in mind.

Goodbye EA, hello Bohemian Studios.
You can't blame EA for what it did. It's all business and if you wanna blame someone it's CoD franchise.It's hard to find a balance between making money and making players happy. EA just copied a successful model and I believe that BF3 was and is a success even though the minority of players who enjoy custom stuff are sad. That doesn't change the fact that the game is good.I am not saying I enjoy paying for a few extra maps but from the games we have on hand it's my favourite.

BTW i don't see anything bad about Origin, it's just as annoying as Steam.Commander mode is coming back in BF4.Ranking system is what it is and it seems that majority of players like it.Otherwise they wouldn't be putting it into every FPS.And how is it discouraging team play? Playing within your squad brings so many pros.Online pass for second hand game? just business as usual. Get over it. The world cares only about money whether it's good or not and if you were a shareholder in EA you would stay quiet.

Games are money making business. The good old days are gone and unfortunately they will most probably never come back.

And when it comes to ARMA3. Well let's keep our fingers crossed that boys from Czech republic don't need to make big bucks and they will concentrate on gamers rather than sales

Old
  (#10)
Chillin
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 560 930/2300
Processor: i5-2500K@4.4GHz 1.2v H60
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: G.Skill 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer+Z506 5.1
PSU: Corsair TX 750w v2
Default 06-14-2013, 10:51 | posts: 6,449 | Location: Chilling

Bohemia Interactive are already quite financially secure from their government sales alone.

The ArmA series are simplified and scaled down derivatives of their VBS series. ArmA also provides them with a great engine testing area.

Old
  (#11)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7950 Vapor-X 1175/1550
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.8
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard: Audigy 2 Platinum Ex 5.1
PSU: AcBel M8 750
Default 06-14-2013, 11:00 | posts: 23,460 | Location: NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillin View Post
Bohemia Interactive are already quite financially secure from their government sales alone.

The ArmA series are simplified and scaled down derivatives of their VBS series. ArmA also provides them with a great engine testing area.
Do you know if they have fixed the problem with low GPU load....?

I haven't played since build 0.54 but seemed to be coming on nicely for the most part.

Old
  (#12)
dcx_badass
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX570 1280mb
Processor: I5 4670k
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz
Soundcard: Realtek ALC892
PSU: 600w OCZ StealthXstream
Default 06-14-2013, 11:38 | posts: 9,774 | Location: Yorkshire [UK]

Dice need to get a grip, way too big for their boots. The whole reason the BF series exists as it is today is because of BF1942 and it's mods, Desert Combat, Forgotten Hope etc. Without it their would be no BF series. Let's not forget how they hired Desert Combats Trauma Studios then sacked them all after a few months and stopped them making mods. They don't care about the community.

Old
  (#13)
Cyborg_MARIACHI

Videocard: GTX480
Processor: i5 750
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Tx750
Default 06-14-2013, 11:41 | posts: 1

If at least they would release a Map Editor... but wait, they use no Client Dedicated Server.... well... we will expect it to be exactly like bf3... 3 months of hype then almost 2 years of RAGE because DICE will be too busy doing some "new" maps (back to METRO maybe?) to answer our pleases about bugs, cheaters, unbalanced gameplay, HUD issues, server issues, etc...etc...

Old
  (#14)
Chillin
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 560 930/2300
Processor: i5-2500K@4.4GHz 1.2v H60
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: G.Skill 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer+Z506 5.1
PSU: Corsair TX 750w v2
Default 06-14-2013, 12:25 | posts: 6,449 | Location: Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Monster View Post
Do you know if they have fixed the problem with low GPU load....?

I haven't played since build 0.54 but seemed to be coming on nicely for the most part.
Haven't had time lately to load it up, tests are a bitch that eat all your time.

Old
  (#15)
Speed Weed
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 260+
Processor: Core i5 2500K @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Pro ( 3.1)
Memory: 8Gb Corsair @ 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Tuffpower 850
Default 06-14-2013, 12:28 | posts: 940 | Location: Somewhere in Scotland

Unknown to Karl-Magnus, there are a host of game hackers at work, proving him wrong!
Won't be long until mods begin bubbling to the surface.

Old
  (#16)
buddyfriendo
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 480 SC
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T
Memory: Corsair DDR3 1600 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard -_-
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 06-14-2013, 12:29 | posts: 3,422 | Location: New England - M@ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Weed View Post
Unknown to Karl-Magnus, there are a host of game hackers at work, proving him wrong!
Won't be long until mods begin bubbling to the surface.
No offense to the modders but official tools always end up being miles better, not to mention the lack of support from DICE kinda screws you over with ranked servers and such.

Old
  (#17)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 670 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default 06-14-2013, 16:33 | posts: 906 | Location: UK

No battle recorder is a shocking omission from bf3 and now bf4.

Modding would require (I'm guessing here) access to frostbite engine? Not really seeing a chance that any studio would do that. That's pretty pricey tech/ip that EA ring fenced for their studios, DICE are simply following suit.

Old
  (#18)
eclap
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD7950 CFX + Qnix QX2710
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: SB Z/Aune T1/AD700/DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 06-14-2013, 16:48 | posts: 24,288 | Location: Hampshire UK

Meh, don't really want to play mods anyway, no biggie for me.

Old
  (#19)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 290X & 7950
Processor: 3770K & 2500K
Mainboard: GB Z77X-D3H / GB Z77-D3H
Memory: 16GB & 16GB G.Skill
Soundcard: Meridian 2G / xf-i fata
PSU: 1000W & 500W silverstone
Default 06-14-2013, 17:10 | posts: 3,763 | Location: Finland

never played any mods for anything other then hl1 so np.

I like bf for what it is, a good shooter.

Old
  (#20)
killer_939
Maha Guru

Videocard: Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
Processor: i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v
Mainboard: ASRock P67 Extreme6
Memory: 8gb DDR3 1600MHz
Soundcard: Xonar Essence STX + AD700
PSU: 720w
Default 06-16-2013, 00:01 | posts: 2,599 | Location: Australia

Sigh, no buy for me again. I still play bf2 mods sometimes.

Old
  (#21)
bobdude
Maha Guru

Videocard: PS4
Processor: PS4
Mainboard: PS4
Memory: PS4
Soundcard: PS4
PSU: PS4
Default 06-16-2013, 01:08 | posts: 1,818 | Location: AZ

iv never played anything with mods so no big deal

Old
  (#22)
Veteran
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 690@1267/350 on H20-24/7
Processor: 930@4.0 HT-on-H20-24/7
Mainboard: Asus-P6X58D-Cpu block
Memory: 12 Gb Corsair 1600 (1531)
Soundcard: XonarXense-Sennheiser 350
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
Default 06-16-2013, 01:15 | posts: 8,994 | Location: United kingdom

Hopefully we will get to see Daquing Oilfields, Fushe Pass, Dragon Valley and Dalian Plant. I know Dragon Valley and Fushe Pass were China based so we may see something as China is in the game. Even if its in the form of good dlc i dont mind there being no mods as long as core game is good.

Last edited by Veteran; 06-16-2013 at 01:19.

Old
  (#23)
Iggyblack
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 470 780/1560/1760
Processor: Intel i5-2310 2.9GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P8H61-M LE/BR
Memory: Kingstons 4GB DDR3 1333
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Antec Neo 650W
Default 07-14-2013, 18:54 | posts: 4,390 | Location: Recife, Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx_badass View Post
Dice need to get a grip, way too big for their boots. The whole reason the BF series exists as it is today is because of BF1942 and it's mods, Desert Combat, Forgotten Hope etc. Without it their would be no BF series. Let's not forget how they hired Desert Combats Trauma Studios then sacked them all after a few months and stopped them making mods. They don't care about the community.
So much this.

What made me stop playing Battlefield were their outright lies and deceiving.

When Battlefield 3 was announced, and cod black ops was too, I remember the smear tactic Dice was running by making fun of Cod Elite and talking about how they would never follow that path.
Or how their games wasn't another cod game. then BF3 released and the cluster**** that was metro 64/64. unbelievable choke points in their maps.

Then all their really dumb ideas for color grading, and actually NOT implementing the full destruction capabilities of their engine. that seriously pissed me off, they talked about so much
Before release, then just after they're like "oh yeah, full destruction is not available, BUT if you buy the back to karkand map, you can get just a BIT more destruction."

Then came their bull**** CQB dlc, which just turned it flat out into cod. and then their premium service which they said they would never do turned the game into a ****ing disgrace with PREMIUM all over it.

**** you Dice, you took a good thing and absolutely ruined it with bull**** like that. I don't think I've ever been so mischieved by a game like this, other than brink (also **** brink to hell and back)

Old
  (#24)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 670 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default 07-15-2013, 02:35 | posts: 906 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggyblack View Post
So much this.

What made me stop playing Battlefield were their outright lies and deceiving.

When Battlefield 3 was announced, and cod black ops was too, I remember the smear tactic Dice was running by making fun of Cod Elite and talking about how they would never follow that path.
Or how their games wasn't another cod game. then BF3 released and the cluster**** that was metro 64/64. unbelievable choke points in their maps.

Then all their really dumb ideas for color grading, and actually NOT implementing the full destruction capabilities of their engine. that seriously pissed me off, they talked about so much
Before release, then just after they're like "oh yeah, full destruction is not available, BUT if you buy the back to karkand map, you can get just a BIT more destruction."

Then came their bull**** CQB dlc, which just turned it flat out into cod. and then their premium service which they said they would never do turned the game into a ****ing disgrace with PREMIUM all over it.

**** you Dice, you took a good thing and absolutely ruined it with bull**** like that. I don't think I've ever been so mischieved by a game like this, other than brink (also **** brink to hell and back)
I've clocked 870 hours on premium BF3 - loving it.

Forget what I paid, but it reckon it was north of 50 and that works out to a lot of entertainment for the money, compared to Man of Steel which was 12 and 2 hours of non-interaction.

Games are great value for money in this regard - but Grid 2 was like 30 and I barely got a weekend out of it before uninstalling.

TF2 is another great VFM game I bought in like 2005 or something, and I got Portal with it and Half life 2 episode 2 - still play these games today.

Another poor VFM but very entertaining game is GTA4 - I clocked it in under a week and although I still have it installed, it really is not something I play tbh, even though I think it's a quality game. I also got the DLC's for it. Lost and Damned and Ballard of Gay Tony, that lasted about another week each.

It really depends on your perspective of what constitutes VFM, and that's something only you can decide.

BF4, FYI, has been in development longer than BF3 and was started prior to it - maybe this is why BF3 feels and looks a lot like the bastard child of Bad company 2 and BF2 - but I never played CoD.

I like the option of having tanks v tanks or troops v troops from a map perspective.

Old
  (#25)
Iggyblack
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX 470 780/1560/1760
Processor: Intel i5-2310 2.9GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P8H61-M LE/BR
Memory: Kingstons 4GB DDR3 1333
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Antec Neo 650W
Default 07-15-2013, 03:02 | posts: 4,390 | Location: Recife, Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobyluggs View Post
I've clocked 870 hours on premium BF3 - loving it.

Forget what I paid, but it reckon it was north of 50 and that works out to a lot of entertainment for the money, compared to Man of Steel which was 12 and 2 hours of non-interaction.

Games are great value for money in this regard - but Grid 2 was like 30 and I barely got a weekend out of it before uninstalling.

TF2 is another great VFM game I bought in like 2005 or something, and I got Portal with it and Half life 2 episode 2 - still play these games today.

Another poor VFM but very entertaining game is GTA4 - I clocked it in under a week and although I still have it installed, it really is not something I play tbh, even though I think it's a quality game. I also got the DLC's for it. Lost and Damned and Ballard of Gay Tony, that lasted about another week each.

It really depends on your perspective of what constitutes VFM, and that's something only you can decide.

BF4, FYI, has been in development longer than BF3 and was started prior to it - maybe this is why BF3 feels and looks a lot like the bastard child of Bad company 2 and BF2 - but I never played CoD.

I like the option of having tanks v tanks or troops v troops from a map perspective.
To each their own I guess haha. But after BF3, anything that is by Dice will go under a microscope before I decide to buy it.
just the same as I had way, way more in BC2 than BF3. Maybe BF4 will be better, but I'm not getting duped again.