New power supply tripping circuit breaker

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by heymian, Jun 10, 2013.

1. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I installed a 700-Watt power supply the other day and everything seemed to be going smooth until I turned on my portable air conditioner (760W input). About 30 minutes later, the power in my room went out and back on. I thought it was something going on with the grid so I gave it no concern until the next day. Again, as I was using my computer I turned on the air conditioner. Not even ten seconds later, the power goes out in my room again. I have since unplugged the air conditioner and using a fan instead (no more power hiccups). Anyone have any bright ideas? I hate gaming while sweaty :(

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Check the power consumption of the PC and the air conditioner.
    Are you in a single room or can you check the electric meter?

If you are on 120V, you're likely exceeding 13A.
    What is the max current of the circuit breaker?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Mufflore, the UK is on 13A correct? Most places in the world are typically 10A (including Australia/NZ). That said, 15A outlets are available where necessary that have a mandatory earth plug that is larger than a normal 10A plug (but 10A plugs can go into 15A but not vice-versa).

Anyways, if the person is in the US I believe they are on 10A, 120V? (or is it 110V?). In any case, it only allows them 1200W or 1100W. I would be surprised if the whole circuit is connected to one 10A 110V supply, even for a room, but different countries have different rules. What I mean is, multiple powerpoints being able to supply more than a total of 1100W.

Also, here the circuits are separate, such that lights are on a different circuit to power points, and different areas of the house have different power point circuits. Then of course, hot water, air conditioners (fixed), ovens etc are all on separate circuits. Each circuit has its on Residual Current Device (replaces fuses), and there is also a main Earth leakage breakage switch. This is mandatory.

I only say that as an example of differences between different places, such as here if there were a problem the aircon and the computer it wouldn't turn the lights off.

Anyways, it is possible that if you do have a RCD on the circuit with the aircon and the PSU, that you aren't going over the limit of the circuit, but instead there is a fault with the aircon. Does the aircon trip the circuit by iteself? That is, running it for a couple of hours without the computer on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yeah, UK is 13A, that wasnt what I was getting at, just a co-incidence that his power use is around that figure at 120V.

Agreed, he should check the power use of the air con unit.
    As you point out, the rooms mains sockets may be running from a single socket or equivalent.
    It would be handy to know the max current of the circuit breaker.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah, massive different between the 3120W per socket in the UK and 1100W per socket in the US. If he is using a powerboard then obviously it would be an overload problem on a 1100W supply.

6. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I wouldn't be running a computer on the same circuit as a air con in any case.When they start up they probably are causing a drop and fluctuating current is no good for computers anyway.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    What psu is it?

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

760W portable air con on a different socket but same circuit as the computer is fine. That said, I'm speaking from a place that has 10A 240V (230V +10%/-6%, but almost always 240V), and the circuits can take a lot more than that of course.

The main issues with helping out is that we do not know the power system, and we do not know whether it is a separate socket or a powerboard being used.

9. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Umm... 80% (for continuous load) times 15 Amperes (for a typical residential circuit) @ 120 Volts (nominal) is approximately 1440 VA (Watts) per receptacle outlet circuit in the US.

The OP probably has other loads (aside from the PSU and AC) on the same circuit, and the AC is simply just enough to trip the breaker.

What puzzles me, is the fact the OP stated 'the power in my room went out and back on'.

Does the OP have auto-resetting OCPDs? If not, I would guess a utility issue.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Ah ok! Thought the US was 10A, not 15A.