Do USB 3.0 Keyboards exist? If not, then why not?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ozdennisb, Jun 7, 2013.

1. ozdennisb

ozdennisb Member

GPU:
    Intel 4000
    Is there a non-gaming, non-mechanical, desktop keyboard with USB 3.0 connectivity on the market? I have written to a number of keyboard makers asking them regarding their products, but none as yet has answered. mmmmm. I will be grateful for all advice.

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    No, because there's no point. USB 3.0 was created for devices which needs high bandwidth needs, like external hard drives. A keyboard has almost no bandwidth needs, and comes nowhere close to saturating USB 2.0's maximum. 3.0 is also backwards compatible with 2.0, so why would a keyboard manufacturer bother?

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    oops dbl post

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Is there a reason you need USB 3 for a keyboard?
    You dont need the extra bandwidth and latency is ******
    edit:
    Haha, that ****** says t i n y., clearly there is a t i n y spammer.

5. kiya

kiya Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Twin Frozr III
    keyboards aren't fast enough to require USB 3.0's data transfer speeds.

I guess thats the only reason.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Hell, most keyboards are actually USB 1.1, so why do you need USB 3?

deltatux

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    He could be asking for USB ports on the keyboard like we see on some of the more exotic keyboards :p

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I would have thought latency would be lower for hardcore gamers :)

Anyways, since USB 3.0 devices can be used on USB 2.0 ports (albeit at slower speeds) there really is not reason why there shouldn't be USB 3.0 keyboards, regardless of bandwidth requirements.

A problem with USB 2.0 evices is plugging them into a USB 3.0 hub will result in all devices on that 3.0 hub to run in USB 2.0 mode. Even worse is if you use a USB 1.1 device on a USB 3.0 or 2.0 hub, it will cause everything on that hub to run at USB 1.1 speeds. USB ports are at least doubled up (if not more so with motherboard USB ports), so this must be taken into consideration. Of course, for USB 3.0 operation everything must be USB 3.0, that is, the port, no USB device less than USB 3.0 on that hub, any connection cables, and the device itself.

A thing to remember with USB 3.0 is that it can do simultaneous bi-directional transfers, something that USB 2.0 cannot, which is why you will never get the 480MBPS.

The real reason for the lack of USB 3.0 becoming widespread is because it's cheaper for companies to stick to USB 2.0, they can simply carry over the same design and tech from previous models.

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Latency is just a byproduct, it's the interrupt nature of USB that's the problem. That's why a lot of gamers still prefer a PS/2 connection, because the interrupt nature means the input always has priority.

10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It all comes down to cost, it's cheaper to use a USB 1.1/2.0 controller than a USB 3.0 controller. Keyboards honestly don't need USB 3.0 unless there's a USB hub built into the keyboard but for the keyboard itself, USB 1.1 is all you really need.

deltatux

11. ozdennisb

ozdennisb Member

GPU:
    Intel 4000
    thankyou to IcE, Mufflore, kiya, deltalux, lucidus, and that guy91. From your answers, is it correct to say that if a keyboard with a USB 1.1 capacity, is connected to a USB hub then the throughput of all other USB connects are reduced to 1.1? Does this not mean that a USB 1.1 keyboard should be setup to have direct access into the mobo, and not via a USB hub? Otherwise all other USB connections would be thereby reduced? Iask because It do not know. For the record, Gigabyte answered my query and advised that their K120 keyboard functions with a USB 1.1 connection. So far no other supplier has replied.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yep connect slower devices directly or group them together.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Also remember that a 'USB hub' can refer to an external hub, or an internal hub. USB ports on the computer are almost always at least in pairs, and these share an internal hub. Ideally you only ever install a USB 1.1 device on a hub by itself, meaning you waste at least one USB port on the back of your computer unless you have another USB 1.1 device to plug into it. Same goes for a USB 2.0 device into a USB 3.0 hub.

14. ozdennisb

ozdennisb Member

GPU:
    Intel 4000
    Thankyou mufflore and ThatGuy91. You have confirmed what I had suspected regarding the effect of USB 1.1 keyboards. Fortunately I have sufficient USB ports to accommodate this problem. Unless you advise otherwise, I shall seek to group USB connections of identical speed into separate hubs, and as you aptly state, 'waste' one USP port. It is arguable that this waste of resources should surely provoke manufacturers into incorporating USB 2.0, at least, in keyboard manufacture. Apart from technical advantages, would it not also enhance product competitiveness in a volatile, global market? I am yet to have a reply to my inquiry on this matter from all keyboard manufacturers, except Gigabyte.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I doubt they really care.
    Those making USB 1.1 devices will still do so because they save cash, as long as it doesnt impact sales.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Actually usb 3.0 would benefit a bit, due to it getting rid of polling. the os doesnt have to poll the mouse/keyboard anymore and there would be literally zero latency. Although im sure one would be hard pressed to notice a difference. but every bit helps

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I personally just plug them into any available slots lol. On my motherboard, I have way more USB 3.0 ports than I actually need, most of the ports are USB 3.0 and only 4 (2 back, 2 front, and they're all extra power ports, meant to charge phones and etc) are USB 2.0 ports. So I just plug my keyboard into these slots. Honestly, I haven't seen any speed decreases because the way that USB was designed, it was meant to work independently from one another really. I've got a USB 2.0 camera plugged into the same internal USB hub on my motherboard as my USB 3.0 hard drive and there's absolutely no speed difference if I plugged my USB 2.0 device along with my USB 3.0 device.

deltatux

18. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Agent-A01: Still... i'm pretty sure the costs that are probably involved to switch over to and use a USB 3.0 controller, in a manufacturer's eye, are probably far more than the potential benefits the piece of hardware would gain from actually doing so.

And... might i add that the whole idea of a device using a slower USB standard slowing down the rest of the ports in a designated hub is probably part of the reason that, even YEARS after USB has pretty much become the only connection used for keyboards and mice (aside from the manufacturers who still provide USB-to-PS/2 adapters), there are still two USB ports that are basically designated as the Mouse and Keyboard USB port....

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Really? I don't have those on any of my motherboards lol. They're all USB 2.0/3.0 ports and you can plug anything into it and get full speed lol.

deltatux

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Well yea, you can plug anything into them that you want to.... there is no standardization for a specific Mouse and Keyboard USB port. What i AM saying, is that it seems no matter how the IO area on the rear of the motherboard changes, it seems there are always two USB ports at the top, sometimes also accompanied by a PS/2 port.... just like how it used to be two PS/2 ports ALWAYS at the top for the keyboard and mouse. Kinda goes hand-in-hand for me. haha