Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

Going to France in August
Old
  (#1)
Pręses
Maha Guru

Videocard: Strix GTX 970 4GB
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: Asrock Extreme4 Z77
Memory: 4x4GB 1600MHz Ripjaws
Soundcard: Yamaha RX-V375 + CS 26 II
PSU: Corsair AX750
Default Going to France in August - 05-25-2013, 12:39 | posts: 836 | Location: South Africa

Hello fellow Gurus!

I'll be going to Nantes in August and was wondering if there's any sights I have to go see between Paris and Nantes (as I'll be landing in Paris)? I won't have too much time, maybe a day or two, since I'll be there on business mostly and not pleasure

Also, are PC hardware prices in France cheaper or more expensive than US? Just wondering if I should consider buying goodies while I'm there!

Old
  (#2)
cartdog
Maha Guru

Videocard: SLi GTX680 FTW 4GB EKWB
Processor: i7 3930K EKWB 4.3GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte UP4
Memory: Corsair Plat 2133mhz 32GB
Soundcard: X-Fi
PSU: SilverStone Strider 1kw
Default 05-26-2013, 10:57 | posts: 1,547 | Location: Australia mate!

I spend most of my time in Paris for work, been to the channel afew times to see the remnants of WW2 battle forts, if you had more time that's really a must. I think Nantes is about 3 or so hours from Paris, im guessing your taking the TGV and not driving?

Theres heaps to, castles, museums, churches. It all depends on who your going with you know and what your into. Theres a HUGE elephant, cant remember if its around all year, but that's something to see. Because its a port town theres also ferrys that's you can take which offer beautiful views of the country and its sights. I dunno man, do some "google" search I guess. Have fun, when you arrive at CDG, switch to nantive mode, by that I mean don't dress and act to much like a tourist, pick pockets are rife in Paris, so always keep valuables close to you, in jacket pocket etc, don't carry it on your back.

Best way, see how Parisians dress and act and follow that Have fun man. Also, id save if you had time, spend most in paris..I don't need to tell you why haha. Want cheap PC stuff, go to Taipai.

Old
  (#3)
Pręses
Maha Guru

Videocard: Strix GTX 970 4GB
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: Asrock Extreme4 Z77
Memory: 4x4GB 1600MHz Ripjaws
Soundcard: Yamaha RX-V375 + CS 26 II
PSU: Corsair AX750
Default 05-26-2013, 14:47 | posts: 836 | Location: South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartdog View Post
I spend most of my time in Paris for work, been to the channel afew times to see the remnants of WW2 battle forts, if you had more time that's really a must. I think Nantes is about 3 or so hours from Paris, im guessing your taking the TGV and not driving?

Theres heaps to, castles, museums, churches. It all depends on who your going with you know and what your into. Theres a HUGE elephant, cant remember if its around all year, but that's something to see. Because its a port town theres also ferrys that's you can take which offer beautiful views of the country and its sights. I dunno man, do some "google" search I guess. Have fun, when you arrive at CDG, switch to nantive mode, by that I mean don't dress and act to much like a tourist, pick pockets are rife in Paris, so always keep valuables close to you, in jacket pocket etc, don't carry it on your back.

Best way, see how Parisians dress and act and follow that Have fun man. Also, id save if you had time, spend most in paris..I don't need to tell you why haha. Want cheap PC stuff, go to Taipai.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, will be taking the TGV. Will probably spend a day or two in Paris itself and the rest of the time I'll be in Nantes, exploring a bit there while I'm busy with business.

You don't have to warn me about pick pockets, I live in South Africa, crime is almost an official occupation here (also rioting and loitering)!

I'm quite looking forward to France, only other country I've been to was Mexico, which was quite awesome...lots of tequila

Old
  (#4)
StewieTech
Chuck Norris

Videocard: R9 280
Processor: i5 4670k [4.4]
Mainboard: AsRock z87 Extreme3
Memory: Kingston 8GB [1600]
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DG
PSU: OCZ ZT 550W
Default 05-26-2013, 17:37 | posts: 1,402 | Location: Portugal

I“ve been there once. If you want to integrate well you have to look gay, depressed and smoke a cigar.

Sorry France, you have been stamped.

Old
  (#5)
nm+
Don Cappuccino

Videocard: 6800gt (2xDVI) 2x172x
Processor: 2500-M(2.4Ghz@1.72v)
Mainboard: nforce2 ultra 400
Memory: 1GB Mushkin (2-3-3) PC-32
Soundcard: Sndstrm, Promedia U5.1,de
PSU: Shuttle Silentx 250W
Default 05-27-2013, 01:44 | posts: 10,371 | Location: Not Minneapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pręses View Post

Also, are PC hardware prices in France cheaper or more expensive than US? Just wondering if I should consider buying goodies while I'm there!
Way more expensive.