Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

AMD: Tablet market to be replaced by hybrids
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default AMD: Tablet market to be replaced by hybrids - 05-14-2013, 07:40 | posts: 21,548 | Location: Guru3D testlab

AMD UK Retail Business Development Manager Andrew Muscat recently stated that tablets are nothing but a short-lived fad. Muscat points out that tablets have certain limitations that prevents them from...

AMD: Tablet market to be replaced by hybrids

Old
  (#2)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 05-14-2013, 09:20 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

I don't know, I'm starting to think of ditching my ASUS "hybrid" for a tablet/laptop mix. A large screen (10"+) just doesn't cut it for holding with your hands in the air when reading something like a book.

I believe tablets are here to stay and co-exist with whatever is coming up in the horizon.

deltatux

Old
  (#3)
k1net1cs
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
Processor: Intel Core i5-520M 2.4GHz
Mainboard: Sony VAIO VPCEA16FG
Memory: 2x4GB CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar U3
PSU: n/a
Default 05-14-2013, 10:59 | posts: 3,714

Well, with the multiple screen sizes the upcoming hybrids would be in, I think there'd be one suited for most people; hybrids doesn't mean it's always in 10"+.

I do agree with the sentiment that tablets won't be replaced with hybrids; not that many people actually want to be productive with their tablets. =b
And I prefer something like a Note 2 if I want to write something; handwriting has become more and more of a lost art these days.

Interested in folding with fellow gurus? Click here to get you started!

Old
  (#4)
Speed Weed
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 260+
Processor: Core i5 2500K @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Pro ( 3.1)
Memory: 8Gb Corsair @ 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Tuffpower 850
Default 05-14-2013, 15:09 | posts: 1,046 | Location: Somewhere in Scotland

Along with good grammar and spelling, k1net1cs.
You should try reading some of the posts on Yahell's OMG! board to see the intellectual knuckle-draggers at play.

Old
  (#5)
schmidtbag
Master Guru

Videocard: HIS R9 290
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 05-14-2013, 15:22 | posts: 447 | Location: MA, USA

Tablets got so popular because they were a cheap, power efficient, and user friendly way of doing simple leisure/casual tasks, which is what 90% of PC users want. I agree that tablets are a fad to some degree, but at this point I don't think they'll ever go away. I believe the future of mobile computing will almost always involve touch screens with a removable keyboard. I think more people would prefer a touch screen with a full size keyboard over a conventional tablet or a conventional laptop.

Old
  (#6)
FerCamô
Master Guru

Videocard: R9 290X
Processor: i7 4820k 4.6GHz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage Formula IV
Memory: 4x4GB CorsairVant 2133GHz
Soundcard: Xonar DX+Homemade Amp
PSU: Corsair HX-850 v2 gold
Default 05-14-2013, 15:24 | posts: 156 | Location: Portugal

Am I the only one to who doesn't like cloud computing? The idea of having all centralized and anyone can see want you are computing is not pleasing to me. But maybe the cloud brings it's own end...

Old
  (#7)
Chillin
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 560 930/2300
Processor: i5-2500K@4.4GHz 1.2v H60
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: G.Skill 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer+Z506 5.1
PSU: Corsair TX 750w v2
Default 05-14-2013, 17:29 | posts: 6,440 | Location: Chilling

Yes and no.

At a certain point, high end hardware like the Intel Core processors will become cheap and powerful enough, while retaining a low power usage, as to eliminate the need for compromises with a tablet format.

At that point, "tablets" in the way we refer to them today and "hybrids" will go the way of netbooks and the dodo. These will be full on PC replacements on the go.

Think Microsoft Surface Pro, just with a bigger screen, much faster, lighter and much longer battery life; heck, even perhaps fold-able.

Old
  (#8)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 670 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default 05-14-2013, 18:56 | posts: 1,307 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillin View Post
Yes and no.

At a certain point, high end hardware like the Intel Core processors will become cheap and powerful enough, while retaining a low power usage, as to eliminate the need for compromises with a tablet format.

At that point, "tablets" in the way we refer to them today and "hybrids" will go the way of netbooks and the dodo. These will be full on PC replacements on the go.

Think Microsoft Surface Pro, just with a bigger screen, much faster, lighter and much longer battery life; heck, even perhaps fold-able.
I think it's what tech/arch scales and what doesn't that'll dictate the future, as everything can run Facebook and google and YouTube neway.

Old
  (#9)
FearFactory
Master Guru

Videocard: PowerColor HD6950 2GB
Processor: AMD FX8320 @4.2
Mainboard: Asus M5A99X EVO
Memory: 8GB Corsair Veng 1600 CL9
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1
PSU: Corsair RM650 650W
Default 05-14-2013, 23:00 | posts: 785 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerCamô View Post
Am I the only one to who doesn't like cloud computing? The idea of having all centralized and anyone can see want you are computing is not pleasing to me. But maybe the cloud brings it's own end...
Yap... same opinion here! i only use dropbox to send bigger files or to share non personal photos.

Old
  (#10)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 05-15-2013, 04:18 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerCamô View Post
Cloud computing doesn't have to be data processed on some server, it's currently mainly used for storage solutions where the data is stored offsite rather than on your local machine.

Honestly, "cloud" is just a fancy marketing term for something that's been in practice for decades. Heck, you can technically build your own cloud by setting up your own home server and allow file sharing with your devices, et voila, you've got your own private cloud. There are of course different ways to do it, including ones that are mobile friendly, but they're just different implementation of what's essentially the same thing.

deltatux