Rumour mill thread

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Anarion, May 13, 2013.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I think it might be a good idea to make dedicated thread for all mobile related things and rumours/speculation/news. Be it new phone rumours or SoCs or what ever mobile related, post them here.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i doubt that is the EOS, too

dual led flash for a monster like that? no way, what i think is i prefer the 10mm thick 920 over 2mm less with that ugly camera and probably less appealing body

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Nexus 5. Been hearing that the Nexus 4 was being pulled off listings for UK retailers.

Pretty sure it will have 1920x1080p screen. No reason not to.

Some rumors pointed to an OLED screen, and since the phone would be by LG, then it's an LG OLED (so if they do that, I hope they actually get a good color gamut this time, unlike Samsung).

What do you think?

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    After the complete disaster that is my Nexus 4, I would definitely wait a while before getting a Nexus 5. The hype definitely did not match the product.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What did you not like about the Nexus 4?

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    im not sure but i saw they wont go to 1080p, they are planning a 4.7" nexus again, and there is no reason for that kind of resolution

8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Check the Nexus 4 thread.

To sum it up:
    -Gets hot... BOILING HOT!
    -Touchscreen sensors show up horribly in the sunlight.
    -Screen brightness could be better.
    -Sound sucks (headphones).
    -Sound sucks and is horribly low (rear speaker).
    -Sound sucks and crackles slightly when the screen is on (ear speaker).
    -Battery life is a joke.
    -Glass back feels horribly fragile, I have to hide it anyways under a gigantic protective case.
    -Camera is OK but nothing even close to good.
    -Front camera is very poor.
    -No physical camera button.
    -Did I mention that it gets hot?

If only other smartphones were priced more reasonably, the Nexus 4 would never have been rated so highly and over-hyped.

9. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    To balance the opinion in this thread after the post above I feel I need to say the Nexus 4 is the best phone I've ever owned and I've used the HD2, N1, S2 & S3 before it. Only point I would agree with is the rear speaker could be louder.

I have to point out that I am using custom roms & kernels but that is really what the Nexus brand is made for IMHO, I will probably skip the Nexus 5 and grab the Nexus 6 whenever that hits because I don't see me feeling the upgrade urge until then.

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    IF you want to void you warranty, then that's quite a plan (and Google couldn't be happier).

11. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    A simple reflash of a stock rom will return your warranty. you would have to do something pretty stupid to fully brick a modern smartphone.

I ran stock for a couple of weeks and found it perfectly usable. Rooting and flashing is just fun to do, I dont feel put out for doing it. Because the N4 is 100% open source you don't have to put up with buggy hacks like with Sammy roms.

Sounds to me like you'd be better off with HTC or Samsung, I guess the Nexus brand isn't for everyone.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Aren't we being just the slightest bit elitist here?

There is nothing in the mainstream $350 dollar range (besides the Chinese stuff) that comes close to the Nexus 4's specs. That's less because the Nexus 4 is such an excellent phone, and more along the lines that almost everything else is horribly overpriced for the specs.

I have my two Samsung Galaxy's rooted, with the Galaxy S1 running 4.2.2, and my TF101 overclocked and running 4.2.2. I'm not adverse to rooting once something is out of warranty in order to keep it up to date. What I am however adverse to is rooting something in order to get it to work properly in the first place, there is no excuse for that.

I don't know why so many people are so touchy about pointing out the faults on their phones, it's not like I owe the damn company some form of loyalty.

I bought a late 2012 flagship phone from one of the biggest companies on Earth with the expectancy that it would work 100% without fail within specifications. The damn piece of overheating sh!t wouldn't even make it five minutes under full load even after throttling.

How the hell is this acceptable to you?

13. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    I wasn't trying to sound elitist so apologies if it came off that way. The point I was trying to make is I have gotten everything I need out of my N4 with flashing roms being a part of that. I brought the phone knowing how good the support would be for it, throw in the updates straight from Google and the price and it is a great deal.

I only chimed in to represent the thousands of happy N4 owners to which I am one of.

Getting back to topic I wonder how big Samsung will make the Note 3 now that LG have bought out their 5.5" mega phone..

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    ^^I don't understand phablets. They are too large for being phones and too small for being tablets. I'd like to see phones with ~4,5" screens and top of the line specs.

To be honest, as long as you flash the original software back, they don't care. At least they didn't when vibrator broke on my old Galaxy S (screen also got burn in).

Here's the Nokia teaser video by the way:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev9rdaDK-YQ
    "More than your eyes can see"

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    I read forgot where, Samsung is designing s4 water and dust proof design. Is it possible anyway? I don't think so.

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Me neither. :D

Supposedly Lumia 925
    [​IMG]

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
  19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Chillin, I understand the frustration you faced, but as this is your first smartphone (as I have read on another topic), I want to point out that many of these issues exist on many other smartphones.

1) Gets hot? Most phones get hot. My Note gets to 50C, often for no apparent reason. Now I've read your Nexus 4 gets even hotter; that sucks.

2) Screen brightness? Check out AMOLED screens. Lower brightness than other LCDs, but their low reflectivity make up for that somewhat.

3) Sound sucks? Samsung moved from the excellent Wolfson DAC in the Galaxy S to a sucky implementation of the Yamaha DAC in the Galaxy S2. Poor sound, hissing, you name it. They then had a much better implementation in the Galaxy Note, then returned to the Wolfson DAC with the Galaxy S3. Many other phones are hit-and-miss. If you're serious about mobile audio, I recommend you take a look at portable USB DACs like the FiiO E017K; Android supports USB Audio (make sure for specific phone models support).

4) Speaker loudness is sometimes hit-and-miss too on many other phones.

5) Hehehe, battery life. Was sub-par on the Galaxy Nexus as well. A JOKE on the vast majority of Android phones before 2012, the previous generation. This generation things are looking excellent for battery life. Look at HTC One, king of web browsing battery life. Note 2 and Galaxy S4 excel in Web Browsing battery life, too, and this is usually a weak point for AMOLED-equipped phones.

I get a max of 4 hours heavy use from my Galaxy Note 1.

6) Fragile: the vast majority break when they hit the ground. Screen, body, whatever. Sometimes some phone comes out durable, like the S2. S3 was a joke for durability as well, its screen was too fragile.

7) Cameras: hit-and-miss as well, Samsung generally improve camera image quality between generations better than others. HTC generally stay a (small?) step behind. This time around, the One's camera is very nice, and the S4's is excellent as well.

8) Physical buttons, mostly getting extinct except on Samsung devices. Samsung insists on having a home button for a reason. I don't favor the presence of a physical button over its lack, or vice-versa. Each one is good for something. On-screen for screen estate and a sleeker look, and a home button for quick unlocking from the front and a good tactile response.

The way I see it, phones are still very unrefined. Manufacturers are trying to cram their phones as much as possible. This generation I believe a big jump in refinement was made, let's see how things go from now on.

20. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i guess the same 920 with metal body and... thats it? maybe some camera tricks with that purple live tile called "nokia smartcamera"

what i dont understand is why they dont release this one with xenon flash? if the 928 is a damn verizon exclusive then why should they **** everyone else in the planet with not having a xenon flash because they dont live in the US