Need help with GTX Titan + Asus PB278Q Monitor

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by TheWahoo, May 9, 2013.

1. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    I'm at my wits end with my attempt to make the move from 1080p to 1440p. I'm now on my second make/model of 1440p monitor with the Asus (the first was a Dell 2713HM) in a desperate attempt to achieve 75hz or above through monitor overclocking. I have been absolutely spoiled by my 120hz 1080p Viewsonic so 60hz is just too much of a compromise for the extra resolution, especially with two Titans capable of pushing so much more than 60fps!

I've read numerous posts indicating that both the Asus and the Dell are capable of at least 75hz 1440p but both exhibit the same nasty behavior when I try to overclock them even 1hz beyond 60, stutter/frame skipping! Are the people claiming that these monitors are capable of overclocking blind, lying or am I doing something wrong?!

Everything I've read indicates that is should be as simple as creating a custom resolution in the NV CP, leaving all advanced timings at "automatic" and while that technically works, I get frame skipping with the slightest overclock. I've tried display port, DVI-I and DVI-D on both the latest WHQL driver and beta 320.00 to no avail.

What am I missing? Please help!

2. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    I just thought I'd close the loop...

After reposting this on on a forum dedicated to monitor overclocking, I got my answer. The only known 1440p panels that can overclock without stuttering/frame-skipping are those which do not have an OSD. This rules out both the Dell and Asus as viable overclockers to anyone with a discerning eye (a nice way of saying not blind!)

For anyone who's interested; the Asus panel blows away the Dell! The image quality is absolutely stunning and my panel at least, has zero back-light-bleed. I've come full circle now and decided that the loss of FPS IS worth the extra resolution when taking everything else an IPS or PLS panel offers (8-bit color, 100% sRGB gamut, etc.) into consideration.

I've been leeching info from guru3d and its forum members for so many years now that I'm desperate to give back! Hopefully this helps out anyone who's having the same dilemma as I was.

3. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    The "issue", if you will, that I have with overclocking the PB278Q is that although mine takes up to 85hz (verified with vsync), there is absolutely no discernible difference in refresh/smoothness. I never ran into any stuttering or skipping though.

Compared to a 120hz or CRT where the difference between 60hz and 75hz is quite noticeable, I am thinking my monitor and/or gpu just aren't pushing the actual frames....or my eyes are getting old....at any rate, I agree, the panel is the best I have ever used and the 60hz is well worth the outstanding quality and decent response time (for the resolution).

4. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D

5. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Not sure what is going on here but I see some debate here and there about smooth frame rates.

Lets cut to it...

30FPS+60hz=unplayable slide show, 60FPS+60hz=SMOOTH but with noticeable motion blur, 120FPS+120hz=smooth+ZERO noticeable motion blur.

120FPS 120hz is very very very difficult to maintain on today's hardware, at this point, I feel a very nice compromise would be if we could get 85hz monitors.

85hz+85FPS = a little more realistic, very VERY smooth gameplay, and negligible noticeable motion blur.

Roll on 85hz!

Sorry for random post - I AM RANDOM, so what of it.

PARTY ON BOYS!!!!

Balls out.

6. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Not well because:
    -regular 120Hz monitor@120fps -- 50% less motion blur (2x clearer) - 120 Hz mode (8.33ms frame samples) - lack of flicker causes motion blur.
    -LightBoost 120Hz monitor@120fps -- 92% less motion blur (12x clearer) - 120 Hz mode with LightBoost set at 10% (1.4ms frame strobe flashes)
    NOTICE - see my post #4!

7. rtarp1

rtarp1 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 780 sli
    I have the asus and gtx 780 sli. my monitor played games lik crap until I overclocked to 85mhz. smooth as silk now. just got done playing call of duty ghosts runs nice.

8. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    My PB278Q could not overclock at all.

OP you should have gotten a QNIX 2710. It is the same panel as the Asus.
    I have both monitors right next to each other. My Qnix is at 110Hz, it does 120, but I don't like the gamma shift.
    Also, the IQ of the Qnix is better. I know panel accuracy is a bit of crap shoot however, so that could easily go both ways.
    Qnix is also less expensive than the Asus.

I would probably sell the Asus, grab a Qnix, and save a couple bucks.
    I am only keeping my Asus until the ROG swift comes out. If that is a decent panel I am selling it to try out one of those.

Also to those of you saying you verified it with v-sync, that does not mean you are not skipping frames, which basically defeats the whole purpose.
    You need to use that website method to check.

9. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    I actually returned the Asus and took a shot on buying a QNIX panel from Korea. What a nightmare! The panel I received was defective (after paying extra for the "pixel perfect verified" version) and I spent the next month in a battle with the vendor to get a refund.

I settled on the ViewSonic VP2770 even though it's not over-clockable. The image quality and panel uniformity far exceed the Asus. Moreover, running at 2560x1440 with the IQ cranked up and some SSAA rarely results in minimum frame rates much above 60Hz anyway, even with 2 Titans.

I'm convinced now after so much research into the matter that different people perceive motion differently. Those who are overclocking 60Hz panels with OSDs probably cannot visually perceive the frame skipping which is undoubtedly present.

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    What am I missing? Please help![/QUOTE]
    I'm using my PB278Q @ 60Hz without issues, I do force Virtue Sync though, I experienced stuttering/flickering without it in some games, which I felt as hard to the eyes as using a 60Hz CRT.

Doesn't the Qnix have a **** stand? I mean, no hight adjustment, no swivel and it looks rather flimsy too.