Microsoft might rethink on Windows 8 flagship software

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 8, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Ha ha... I know there were those who had no problem with 8, as well as those (maybe majority) who did, but those who thought MS could do no wrong and were more qualified to decide whats best for the user than the user himself were a small distinct group as well. Egg on face for them. :D

OK, so its Windows Blue (8.1) to address all of 8's shortcomings I presume, and if due out this summer, the FT article makes perfect sense.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I think 8 will be viewed as notoriously as Windows ME over next few years. Difference is, Win ME did not have as bad reviews when it came out. So 8 could be viewed even worse than ME.

4. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Win8 was pretty awful.
    Even one of my good friends who has a PhD in Computer Science absolutely hated the stuff and was tearing his hair out the other day over not being able to find laptops that did not have Windows 8.

5. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    "faced difficulties adapting to the new software" - ain't nobody got time for that.

6. HairyCube

HairyCube Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
    LOL finally Microsoft realized they can't expect good sales for whatever half-assed product they spit out? Maybe someday they will also understand that ugly plain Windows 3.11-like interface has to go too? That would be a miracle!

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks to their feck up I've been able to reimagine my computing without Microsoft. Too bad I still need them for gaming on the PC.

8. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I´m using w8 with start8, and it´s fine. I like it it, but w7 was better.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Once you add a third-party Start menu app to Windows 8 then it works fine, although I admit I seldom use the Modern UI/Start screen for anything other than the odd Windows Store game (and then that is rare). The Modern UI was an utterly pointless addition to Windows 8 in all honesty but I think if Microsoft had given people the choice of still using the Start menu then the reaction to it would have been more positive IMO.

10. Dalilb

Dalilb Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 TI-DCII top
    Funny thing is that while they gently admit they might have done wrong, its only a couple days ago that Bill himself said to the press

"We have to help frustrated iPad users to use win 8"

11. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    According to the following link. They will not be returning the win 8 start menu.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-windows-81-will-be-available-in-june-for-developers

Frankly I can't see what the fuss is about. I dont use it and haven't bothered with any 3rd party software either. But I think the main issue is all the corporations not wanting to change over. It is the same in my company. Some of the executives didnt like it so decided that it wouldn't benefit the other 400 employees we have. :bang:

12. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    Just goes to show you with Windows, ALWAYS wait for the first service pack...err, whatever it's called now. :)

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ....MS admitting of Failure?? I find this rather shocking. We see if they learned anything from this. Either way trying to make OS for Desktop and Tablet as one as was bad idea, the 2 devices are not the same.

I Would like my Star bar back seeing I use it every damn day constantly, And a complete and permanent way of disabling that metro ui, booting direct to desktop and never seeing that metro crap.

Maybe then I will give win 8 a try again

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  14. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    It hasn't even been said that they ever planned on bringing back the start menu, just the start button. Although even in Windows 8 the start button is still there they just moved it. But from the rumors they're planning on bringing it back to its traditional spot.

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    If Microsoft says so I will just laugh my as5 off at them :bigsmile:

16. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    wonder if upgrading to windows blue or 8.1 will be cheaper or hoping free for windows 8 users

17. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    What part of the start menu that you use "every damn day constantly" is missing in Windows 8?

18. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Easy. The subfolder structure. In Win 8 it's either the basic panel view, or you click "all apps" and get every damn entry in any previous program group sprawled out flat, making a perfect chaos. Make the prevoius subfolder a master tile on the main Metro screen, which when clicked expands a new metro tile screen containing *only* the tiles in that particular group, now that would make it usable.

19. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Try using Win8 with a Redirected Start Menu, ahhh... you can't, as there's no Start Menu now so your existing Domain Users are stuffed if using Win8 as the nice ordered Start Menu structure is now strewn all over the Start Screen like an explosion in an App factory!!

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If I have to use 3rd party program to fix something that didnt need fixing I not intrested. No do i care for this tablet/phone look. If i want that look for functionality I go use my tablet. Cause I dont care for or want to ever see that metro title crap

short of there being some miraculous turn around and MS learning from there mistakes I will be on win7 for about as long as I was on XP