Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

Aggravated assault via email.
Old
  (#1)
shadex
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA Geforce 760 GTX
Processor: AMD 8150 FX
Mainboard: Sabertooth 990X AM3+
Memory: DDR3 1866 Sniper - GSKILL
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Recon 3D.
PSU: Thermaltake TT 850 Watt
Default Aggravated assault via email. - 05-06-2013, 02:08 | posts: 458

I have had been emailing DMV regarding my issue on the road test, it was thoroughly thoughtful given my situation. However, my last email was rather very harsh and mean, and DMV literally took it as a threat. So they had a cop arrested me, and jailed overnight.

my public defender looked through my emails and told the judge, "not guilty your honor" although I didn't decide whether I should plead guilty or not guilty. Keep this in mind, it's my first time in court - I have a clean record (paper shows misdemeanor on aggravated assault via email). The prosecutor somewhat agreed but wanted to issue OOP (Order of Protection/ Restraint Order). The judge released me without any bail needed. I don't have any intention talking with this particular DMV office.

My pubic defender said there's no fine or imprisonment. But will issue OOP/RO against me. I am getting confused because paper said: Order of Protection & Pending. I will have to show up to pre-trail soon where the prosecutor will offer if any plea offer and receive any additional paper work. So.. any ideas, or similar experience?

Constructive and clean comment please!

Old
  (#2)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 770 Classified SLI
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Seasonic X-1050
Default 05-06-2013, 02:36 | posts: 12,047 | Location: USA

It's a felony in most states to send threatening letters (even though that was not your intent) over the internet, especially to a state agency. not sure of your states laws, so i;m not even going to guess as to what may happen at pre-trial.

Old
  (#3)
JUNKIE
Member Guru

Videocard: EVGA 770 FTW 4GB
Processor: Intel 2500k
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68 V PRO
Memory: 8 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE
Soundcard: CREATIVE TITANIUM PRO
PSU: Corsair AX650
Default 05-06-2013, 02:44 | posts: 69 | Location: Las Vegas Nevada

You failed a drivers test? Then sent a menacing E-Mail? I am not understanding the gist of this.

Old
  (#4)
IcE
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: i5 3570K
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z + CAL
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 05-06-2013, 02:47 | posts: 8,479 | Location: London, Ontario

The idea that you can be convicted of a "threatening email" is beyond sad to me.

Old
  (#5)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Default 05-06-2013, 03:00 | posts: 12,047 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE View Post
The idea that you can be convicted of a "threatening email" is beyond sad to me.
Truer words can't be said. I blame it on the pussification of America.

You have to be careful about what you say to people these days because they tend to be sue happy about everything. Hurt their feelings and you'll end up getting sued for verbal assault and having to pay them money for emotional damages.

Old
  (#6)
hallryu
Don Altobello

Videocard: 2x HD7970 - QNIX/U2711
Processor: 3770k delid@4.6GHz - H320
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7 (F5)
Memory: Dominator GT 2133 2x4GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + SP2500
PSU: BeQuiet! DP Pro 1200W
Default 05-06-2013, 03:36 | posts: 11,396 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE View Post
Why? Words, when used aggressively, can put the fear of God in to a victim. If the person sending intends their victim to be terrified, then why shouldn't that be a criminal matter?

If the OP sent a threatening email then he will have to face the consequences.

What worries me most is that the OPs lawyer entered his plea without taking instructions first, that is surely a criminal offence in itself!

Old
  (#7)
IcE
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: i5 3570K
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z + CAL
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 05-06-2013, 03:57 | posts: 8,479 | Location: London, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallryu View Post
Why? Words, when used aggressively, can put the fear of God in to a victim. If the person sending intends their victim to be terrified, then why shouldn't that be a criminal matter?

What worries me most is that the OPs lawyer entered his plea without taking instructions first, that is surely a criminal offence in itself!
It's an email...It's one thing to actively threaten someone's life through an email, but nothing less should be considered anything criminal.

Old
  (#8)
pjokerxp
Master Guru

Videocard: Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
Processor: Ivy I7-3770K @ 4.5 GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
Memory: G.Skill 2x 8GB 2400MHz
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair AX760i Platinum
Default 05-06-2013, 04:41 | posts: 566 | Location: Saudi Arabia

in my country threatning someone by email can send you to jail

Old
  (#9)
(.)(.)
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 580sli (water)
Processor: 2600k @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus M4E
Memory: Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Enermax Rev 1250w
Default 05-06-2013, 04:44 | posts: 3,878 | Location: Logd n jst 2 change avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallryu View Post

Sure, but as we all know on this and other forums, its easy to misinterpret text on a screen. Unless of course its blatantly threating like: im going to rub acidic pigeon poop on your chromed up veespa...

Also, right up until my early teens i thought that everyone who i came across in the street that wore a patch and some leathers/rugged clothes was just another gangster, which i found to be rather intimidating and threatning. Turns out, you can be a non-violent person and a legitimate member of a harmless motorcycle club and not be a gangster.

I misinterpreted someone that i've never spoken to and know nothing about, but that dosnt make my fear of such, a legitimate fear.

Misinterpretation should have no place in courts, you either did the deed or you didnt. everything else in-between is just some muppet looking for attention imo.

And besides, Im sure companies like the dmv make more money from taking people to court than from the actual services they provide.

Last edited by (.)(.); 05-06-2013 at 05:02.

Old
  (#10)
HeavyHemi
Ancient Guru

Videocard: SLI TITAN SC @ 1097/3105
Processor: i7 980x 4.3 Ghz 1.35 v
Mainboard: EVGA X58 E758
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Dom 2000
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200
Default 05-06-2013, 05:21 | posts: 3,399 | Location: Wooing whilst wearing only socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadex View Post
I have had been emailing DMV regarding my issue on the road test, it was thoroughly thoughtful given my situation. However, my last email was rather very harsh and mean, and DMV literally took it as a threat. So they had a cop arrested me, and jailed overnight.

my public defender looked through my emails and told the judge, "not guilty your honor" although I didn't decide whether I should plead guilty or not guilty. Keep this in mind, it's my first time in court - I have a clean record (paper shows misdemeanor on aggravated assault via email). The prosecutor somewhat agreed but wanted to issue OOP (Order of Protection/ Restraint Order). The judge released me without any bail needed. I don't have any intention talking with this particular DMV office.

My pubic defender said there's no fine or imprisonment. But will issue OOP/RO against me. I am getting confused because paper said: Order of Protection & Pending. I will have to show up to pre-trail soon where the prosecutor will offer if any plea offer and receive any additional paper work. So.. any ideas, or similar experience?

Constructive and clean comment please!

Perhaps you should have heeded your own advice. Frankly, none of us know what you actually put in your email. So it's nearly impossible, IMO anyway, to judge or provide anything constructive beyond the obvious of 'learn from your mistakes'.

Old
  (#11)
NoviceRei
Maha Guru

Videocard: Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
Processor: Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
Memory: 2x1GB Ballistix Tracers D
Soundcard:
PSU: HEC 550W
Default 05-06-2013, 05:25 | posts: 2,151 | Location: Philippines

that's sad.. americans really do seem 'sue happy'..

Old
  (#12)
dark_surge
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB
Processor: Intel i7 3820 @4.0
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: G.SKILL DDR3 1600 16GB
Soundcard: X-FI Fatal1ty PCI-E
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 05-06-2013, 05:42 | posts: 795 | Location: ND - US

I'm one of those people that think that people should be just as accountable for things they do on the internet as in the real world so I can't really sympathize for you there. But like Hemi said, we really don't know what you said so we really can't say one way or the other. It's very possible that they severely overreacted, but there's also the chance that what you said had some malice to it, regardless of whether you were just letting off steam or not.

I understand that you probably can't say exactly what you said as it's part of an ongoing case so I won't ask what you said. Personally, a rule I follow by is, if what I say would get my ass kicked in a bar (or thrown in jail) then I won't say it on the internet either.

With all that being said, I really hope things work out for you. You seem to be a really nice guy on the forums so I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure the judge will see that you're a decent person as well who just used the wrong choice of words in a moment of frustration.

Old
  (#13)
Icanium
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 670 Sli / nVidia 3D
Processor: i7 3770K
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77 V-Pro
Memory: 16 gb G.SKILL DDR3 2400
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Xense
Default 05-06-2013, 05:49 | posts: 1,029 | Location: Detroit,MI.USA

@ shadex, Was your very harsh and mean email typed with caplocks on?

Old
  (#14)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
Default 05-06-2013, 05:54 | posts: 5,893 | Location: Dubai

Did you ask "Problem, officer?" before being arrested?

Old
  (#15)
HeavyHemi
Ancient Guru

Default 05-06-2013, 05:58 | posts: 3,399 | Location: Wooing whilst wearing only socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
Did you ask "Problem, officer?" before being arrested?

Old
  (#16)
volkov956
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7970 HD GHZ
Processor: ES 4GHZ Six Core 12MB
Mainboard:
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: SB XFI Elite Custom
PSU: 750 EPS
Default 05-06-2013, 05:59 | posts: 5,976 | Location: Канад

I see the nanny state system is working as intended we dont stand our own ground we just get each other tooken care of by the over zealous law.

Overall if u look at someone wrong these days u can get in trouble with the law

What can u do i would say get in contact with a lawyer that can guide u through public defendants in some cases will sell u off its not in theyre best interest to help u they are just doing a job... but then lawyers just want ur cash so i dunno

Old
  (#17)
HeavyHemi
Ancient Guru

Default 05-06-2013, 06:08 | posts: 3,399 | Location: Wooing whilst wearing only socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkov956 View Post
I see the nanny state system is working as intended we dont stand our own ground we just get each other tooken care of by the over zealous law.

Overall if u look at someone wrong these days u can get in trouble with the law

What can u do i would say get in contact with a lawyer that can guide u through public defendants in some cases will sell u off its not in theyre best interest to help u they are just doing a job... but then lawyers just want ur cash so i dunno
So you're suggesting the DMV should have done what? Personally, as I don't know the content of his email, I'd not be so quick to blame a 'nanny state'.

Old
  (#18)
scipio
Ancient Guru

Videocard: BFG 260 OCX
Processor: Q6600 3.2
Mainboard: ABIT IX38
Memory: CORSAIR xms 2 GB 800
Soundcard: xi-fi gamer
PSU: BFG es-800
Default 05-06-2013, 07:08 | posts: 4,060 | Location: NorCal

It's one thing to say something brash in the heat of the moment. It's another to actually type out an emails pissed off and click send, that's pure stupidity on the OP.

Old
  (#19)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 290X & 7950
Processor: 3770K & 2500K
Mainboard: GB Z77X-D3H / GB Z77-D3H
Memory: 16GB & 16GB G.Skill
Soundcard: Meridian 2G / xf-i fata
PSU: 1000W & 500W silverstone
Default 05-06-2013, 07:17 | posts: 3,768 | Location: Finland

aggravated assault n. the crime of physically attacking another person which results in serious bodily harm and/or is made with a deadly or dangerous weapon such as a gun, knife, sword, ax or blunt instrument. <--- this is the part that is somehow lost to me.

you know aggravated assault via email, how does that work.

Old
  (#20)
Speed Weed
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 260+
Processor: Core i5 2500K @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Pro ( 3.1)
Memory: 8Gb Corsair @ 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Tuffpower 850
Default 05-06-2013, 07:28 | posts: 950 | Location: Somewhere in Scotland

Over here in the UK, you'd be doing hard time by now, because we're even more pussified than an earlier poster claimed that Americans are.

Old
  (#21)
RedSeptember
Master Guru

Videocard: Asus GTX 690 4gb
Processor: Intel i7 3930k 4700ghz HT
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage IV extreme
Memory: Dominator Plat 64gb 2133
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Gigabyte Odin 1200w
Default 05-06-2013, 08:31 | posts: 473 | Location: Dubai

What did your email say? "Fail me again and I'll burn your office down"? How bad could it have been..

Old
  (#22)
scheherazade
Maha Guru

Videocard: (.) an
Processor: sb-e water
Mainboard: p9x79 ws
Memory: 32 gig
Soundcard: spdif 4x12" driver towers
PSU: dual 1000w
Default 05-06-2013, 08:48 | posts: 2,016 | Location: NOVA

Welcome to Soviet Russia, where talking nasty to a bureaucrat lands you in jail.

Lucky they didn't charge you with terrorism.

(TBH, There should never be a crime without unforgiven harm to body, property, or direct finances.)

We have the first amendment:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[1]"

*Note the lack of exceptions.
The government should respect it.

Lol, what am I saying... the constitution is a historical document. No government institution remembers that it was once the highest law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSeptember View Post
What did your email say? "Fail me again and I'll burn your office down"? How bad could it have been..
No idea about OP, but in general it doesn't have to actually contain threats.
Just needs to be of a sufficiently belligerent tone that the reader can convince authorities that you could be a threat. It's the authorities that declare your statements to be threatening.

There's no longer a connection between what you do, and what you're charged with.
The government just pulls crap out of it's ass however it pleases.

-scheherazade

Last edited by scheherazade; 05-06-2013 at 09:01.

Old
  (#23)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI R9 290 GAMING TF 4GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: 5.1 Surround
PSU: Corsair TX950
Default 05-06-2013, 09:00 | posts: 4,826 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Weed View Post
Over here in the UK, you'd be doing hard time by now, because we're even more pussified than an earlier poster claimed that Americans are.
No you wouldn't, UK don't give a rats ass for daft things like this, you might get a cop show at the house but it wouldn't go to court

--
That said, threatening someone is one thing, but doing it using something that is a permanent piece of evidence is a bit stupid, do it over the phone if your p1ssed at someone, then its only their word against yours

Not sure why you would threaten a driving school though lol

Old
  (#24)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Default 05-06-2013, 09:13 | posts: 12,047 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu5uzaku View Post
aggravated assault n. the crime of physically attacking another person which results in serious bodily harm and/or is made with a deadly or dangerous weapon such as a gun, knife, sword, ax or blunt instrument. <--- this is the part that is somehow lost to me.

you know aggravated assault via email, how does that work.
The blunt instrument was the computer

Old
  (#25)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
Default 05-06-2013, 11:40 | posts: 5,893 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSeptember View Post
He should give a RTA driving test