Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

hard drive for dvr system?
Old
  (#1)
MiMiK
Master Guru

Videocard: r780X
Processor: AMD i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: sun
Default hard drive for dvr system? - 05-02-2013, 05:17 | posts: 184 | Location: 001101010011010100111001

so i will be installing a security system at my home. the security system that i bought doesnt come with a hard drive, i was reading some q&a about the system and it noted that i should install a dvr rated hard drive.

what is the difference between a dvr rated hard drive and a regular hard drive? i have a WD laying around that i was planing on using. the dvr rated hard drivers from WD have av-gp in their tittle and the seagate have pipeline labeled on them.

here's a dvr rated HD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136941

the system will be running 24/7

Old
  (#2)
Chillin
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 560 930/2300
Processor: i5-2500K@4.4GHz 1.2v H60
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: G.Skill 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer+Z506 5.1
PSU: Corsair TX 750w v2
Default 05-02-2013, 05:53 | posts: 6,441 | Location: Chilling

Here:

Quote:

It is a fact that AV-type of drives improve streaming performance by restricting the command completion time. In the event a write takes longer than the desired completion time, it gets "cut". That's okay for AV-type of applications since you do not need every pixel in the image to be "correct". However, that is not something you want happening in other applications - file server, desktops, etc.

Will the AV-GP (or other AV-type HDDs) write bad data all the time? No, of course not. Will that happen once in a while? That depends.

If every read / write command can be satisfied within 100 ms (or so), then they will be read / written correctly. However, the drive is designed to complete all reads and writes within the stipulated time. If there's a CRC error or bad sector that causes the drive to exceed the command completion time, the drive is designed to just "forget" about that particular read/write command and continue to the next one.

Sure, you can use AV-type HDDs to build anything. No one is stopping you. These drives should have no problem running in HTPCs and media servers, since operating systems are generally write once affairs (except for the occasional patches or updates), and any media playing off the HTPC (or a media server) will not exhibit any noticeable quality difference. Even if the AV-GP drive ignores a few bits per frame, you won't spot the bad pixels in the image.
Quote:
1. The time limit for error correction is preset for these AV-type drives. It prevents the drive from hanging/recovering too long while recording. Otherwise, you will lose a few seconds of video.

2. ATA Streaming Commands won't change the time limit.

3. The AV hard disk drive has a different hardware and is tested at a higher temperature limit, thus a higher temp spec.

4. With or without ATA streaming command support, the drive is still optimized for AV purposes e.g. recording/playing back up to 12 HD streams simultaneously

Well, if you are only looking to serve video files on your home media server, the AV-GP hard disk drive should run just fine. It will ensure that your video streams will never get disrupted by error correction. This is important if you also intend to record videos directly to the server (perhaps from satellite TV).

The time limit for error correction will usually not cause any problems since you won't actually write critical data to the HDD, e.g. office documents, original copies of family photos (without backups elsewhere), etc. I just don't recommend it for desktops, or file servers, or any situation where it will store the ONLY copy of any data you have.

Old
  (#3)
MiMiK
Master Guru

Videocard: r780X
Processor: AMD i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: sun
Default 05-03-2013, 04:51 | posts: 184 | Location: 001101010011010100111001

thanks, yea decided to order one, in the mean time ill just use teh HD i have till the other one arrives