Wanna keep using Windows Live Messenger ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Microsoft is forcing everyone to abandon Windows Live Messenger and move to Skype but a former Most Valuable Professional (MVP) from Microsoft's Messenger team has created a little tool that allows y...

Wanna keep using Windows Live Messenger ?

2. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    thanks .. it works

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Personally I don't think it's such a bad idea to ditch messenger. While I only had maybe 2 MSN contacts (both of which are accessible from my yahoo messenger account), I never used MS's messenger program anyway. With Skype having MSN messenger built-in, I don't see a need of having 2 different chat programs. The only crappy part is on Windows, Skype is severe bloatware. It's surprisingly clean and fast on every other platform, though not exactly the most feature-rich or reliable on Linux. In my case, I don't remember the last time I installed a chat program on Windows so the Windows Skype bloat isn't a personal issue.

4. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    not to mention that fact that windows 8 has messenger integrated. and also Facebook chat with it.

5. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I would happily transfer to Skype if Skype user interface wasn't as ugly as sin. Their smiley's are crap too. MSN messenger looked better. MS needs to work on the aesthetics before I ever convert.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Havn't used Messenger anymore for like 8 years. I got WoW as replacement.

7. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    lol i use vent

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

WLM was good, especially once you patched it with the apatch patcher and got rid of the adverts etc. The issue with Skype is that it is ugly, and is missing many of the features that WLM has:
    I've noticed (there are other things as well no doubt):
    - can't add msn (non-skype contacts) in skype, you have to log in to hotmail and use the web messenger there, or another web-based messenger, to add msn contacts
    - no longer is a new email reported. WLM has a little symbol that shows you how many new emails you have, and reports when you receive new emails if in the background
    - sharing files and pictures isn't as easy
    - haven't tried the group conversation feature (you can private chat to multiple people simultaneously in MSN by adding contacts to the conversation)
    - aesthetically its terrible, although so is Windows 8 and Office 2013, so bad design must be Microsoft's new design direction
    - the Windows 8 apps for messaging isn't that good either, and much more difficult to use as a background application like WLM or Skype

I have heard Windows 8 app messenger is missing many features as well. Can't use Windows apps anyway, I disable LUA because it is a pain in the arse (apps are disabled with LUA disabled due to security reasons). Windows apps therefore should have a separate UAC system, which is obviously doable since it blocks you from running them if you have LUA disabled in the first place. That said, most Windows apps seem gimmicky, especially for desktop use, and like I said previously they seem quite inefficient space wise, they are obviously based on a poorly designed framework.

9. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    all i want in skype is easier photo/video sharing and at least a freaking "night mode" theme, it is a pain in the as$ to chat at 2am on my computer, and simply wlm 2011 is the best looking chat app i have ever seen, like a mix of aero design with metro transitions, amazing, thats the way w8 for x86 should look like, and let the plain flat metro for wp and RT where they look good too

10. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Last one I used was Windows Live Messenger v8.5, had to hack that to keep working after they tried to force WLM2009 on people. Used that till about 2010, then switched to Trillian (cross platform), then stopped using it altogether about mid 2012 as I didn't know anyone who still used it.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moved on to facebook/google/whatsapp a long time ago anyway.

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    My messengers working fine still, im using v9 (i think), under windows XP compatability (which stopped the forced upgrade to v10), im always getting theres a new version available when i sign in, and im always getting theres a new version been downloaded, must install it to continue, but i always click no and start it up, as it still works fine :D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well wouldn't let it work today, kept saying i had to install the new version to continue, so just used this reviver, and were back, works great. :)