Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

US sales tax on online purchases.
Old
  (#1)
scoutingwraith
Ancient Guru

Videocard: eVGA 670 FTW/ Intel4400
Processor: i5-3570K 4.0/i7-4500U 2.4
Mainboard: ASRock Z77Ex4/Haswell-ULT
Memory: 16GB 1600 / 8GB 1600
Soundcard: Realtek HD / Realtek HD
PSU: Corsair HX750W / 9 Cell
Default US sales tax on online purchases. - 04-23-2013, 03:55 | posts: 9,449 | Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

As a frequent buyer online i dont know how to respond. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know some online retailers are charging a tax based on their location of their warehouse if they are within the state or not but this seems.

Quote:
The bill will compel companies having annual online sales of more than $1 million to collect sales tax on those purchases. Interstate sales have long been exempted from sales tax, but brick-and-mortar businesses have just as long complained about the edge that online businesses have since they avoid collecting taxes. A key opponent of online taxation, retail giant Amazon, recently switched sides after losing some key legal and political battles over taxation. Amazon already collects taxes on sales in nine states, including California, New York, and Texas.
ArsTechnica , Reuters

The Actual Bill

Old
  (#2)
RavenMaster
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x EVGA GTX 780's SLI
Processor: Core i7 4960X 4.0ghz
Mainboard: Asus RIVE Black Edition
Memory: 32GB DDR3 Corsair 1600mhz
Soundcard: Creative SB ZXR
PSU: CM Silent Pro Gold 1200w
Default 04-23-2013, 04:05 | posts: 524 | Location: UK

Welcome to the UK. We've been getting robbed like this for years on just about everything we ever buy.

Old
  (#3)
chanw4
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 670 4GB GDDR5
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME
Memory: OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600 4G
Soundcard:
PSU: Enermax Platimax 600W
Default 04-23-2013, 04:08 | posts: 2,269 | Location: Hong Kong

Online purchases should not be exempted from sales tax tbh. They already have the edge on not needing the physical store to sell their items.

Old
  (#4)
must_kill_ati
Maha Guru

Videocard: Msi Gaming 780 Oc
Processor: I5 3570k @4.2
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
Soundcard: Xonar DSX
PSU: Corsair 850w
Default 04-23-2013, 04:08 | posts: 1,255 | Location: Iowa

I hate it. Online purchases not being taxed are the "get out of jail" card that we have left.
We, as Americans, are nothing more than an atm card for the government to use whenever they feel the need - which is always, in every case.

Old
  (#5)
chanw4
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 670 4GB GDDR5
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS MAXIMUS V EXTREME
Memory: OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600 4G
Soundcard:
PSU: Enermax Platimax 600W
Default 04-23-2013, 04:09 | posts: 2,269 | Location: Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by must_kill_ati View Post
I hate it. Online purchases not being taxed are the "get out of jail" card that we have left.
We, as Americans, are nothing more than an atm card for the government to use whenever they feel the need - which is always, in every case.
it is more like 'tax dodging' instead of 'get out of jail'

Old
  (#6)
scoter man1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Evga GTX 570/Korean 1440p
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark1
Memory: GSkill Trident X 2x4GB
Soundcard: Onboard/Superlux HD660
PSU: XIGMATEK 750w
Default 04-23-2013, 04:12 | posts: 4,259 | Location: MI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by must_kill_ati View Post
I'm with this guy. I'm not trying to get political*, but the government needs to get their sh!t together if they think a few billion dollars of sales tax is going to change something for the long term.

*ie, I refuse to respond to anyone that wants to flame me

Old
  (#7)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 670 FTW Sli H2O/780 TFIV
Processor: 2600k@4.8 H2O/2500k@4.5
Mainboard: P8Z68-V PRO/P8Z77-V
Memory: corsair ddr3 8GB@1866
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus/onboard
PSU: Corsair HX850w/TX850w
Default 04-23-2013, 04:29 | posts: 5,270 | Location: FLA,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoter man1 View Post
I'm with this guy. I'm not trying to get political*, but the government needs to get their sh!t together if they think a few billion dollars of sales tax is going to change something for the long term.

*ie, I refuse to respond to anyone that wants to flame me
Amen.

Old
  (#8)
harkinsteven
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 680 4GB SLI
Processor: i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Memory: 32gb Kingston Beast 2400
Soundcard: SoundBlasterZxR/EdifierC6
PSU: XFX PRO 750W
Default 04-23-2013, 04:44 | posts: 2,204 | Location: Ireland

I don't understand why we let other men (the so called government) rob us blind at every single turn. Just because they have a position of fictional power everyone thinks we should bow down to them. All it takes is for people not to follow any demands they make and any power they have falls apart. They only have power because people believe they have power, which could end in an instant if people woke up and stopped doing what these cancerous creatures tell them to do. They are ruining the planet and taking us with them.
I for one am sick of it. My country was one of the wealthiest a few years ago. We actually had money until the EU forced us to take on other countries debt and left us billions in debt which they then expect us to pay back. I'm ****ing SICK of it. I hope for the day the world wakes up.

If you start adding up all the money "Government" steals from us it comes close to 60% of your income through various taxes and licenses etc. I mean they brought in a spare room tax for GOD SAKE. Make people pay for water, roads, tv, driving (don't get me started on that one) VAT so on and so on.

There are people in the UK that can't get jobs or work and because of the spare room tax they are expected to live on £53 a week. That is just bull****.

/end rant

Last edited by harkinsteven; 04-23-2013 at 04:49.

Old
  (#9)
dark_surge
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB
Processor: Intel i7 3820 @4.0
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: G.SKILL DDR3 1600 16GB
Soundcard: X-FI Fatal1ty PCI-E
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 04-23-2013, 06:05 | posts: 794 | Location: ND - US

It doesn't bother me too much that they want taxes on internet sales as we already pay them for local sales as long as they let me keep my privacy. Unfortunately, they want both and then some.

However, they need to learn that you can only push people so far before they won't take it anymore. The problem is, they've become too all-encompassing and powerful for any individual or group to do anything about it. They're just going to keep advancing as they always have -- one step at a time -- while everybody continues to live their lives. Through the media they've managed to create a society of docile human beings that are mostly unaware of the crimes of their leaders' pasts that paved the way for their rise to power. There's no amount of protesting or petitions that are going to stop them from getting what they want. It's too late to change anything now without simultaneously replacing everybody on the top of the power pyramid with truly kind, compassionate, loving people. And good luck to anybody willing to try that. I'm not brave or stupid enough. I was born a peon and I'll die a peon.

That's my rant. Sorry it had to be on a topic about taxes. It's late and I really shouldn't be posting while deprived of sleep.

Old
  (#10)
harkinsteven
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 680 4GB SLI
Processor: i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Memory: 32gb Kingston Beast 2400
Soundcard: SoundBlasterZxR/EdifierC6
PSU: XFX PRO 750W
Default 04-23-2013, 06:14 | posts: 2,204 | Location: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_surge View Post
It doesn't bother me too much that they want taxes on internet sales as we already pay them for local sales as long as they let me keep my privacy. Unfortunately, they want both and then some.

However, they need to learn that you can only push people so far before they won't take it anymore. The problem is, they've become too all-encompassing and powerful for any individual or group to do anything about it. They're just going to keep advancing as they always have -- one step at a time -- while everybody continues to live their lives. Through the media they've managed to create a society of docile human beings that are mostly unaware of the crimes of their leaders' pasts that paved the way for their rise to power. There's no amount of protesting or petitions that are going to stop them from getting what they want. It's too late to change anything now without simultaneously replacing everybody on the top of the power pyramid with truly kind, compassionate, loving people. And good luck to anybody willing to try that. I'm not brave or stupid enough. I was born a peon and I'll die a peon.

That's my rant. Sorry it had to be on a topic about taxes. It's late and I really shouldn't be posting while deprived of sleep.
That's were you are wrong. If everyone suddenly said no then they have no chance. We outnumber them by such are large number. Overnight we could take back everything if people would just get motivated and turn off the TV. They are a very small group of people sitting at the top, they just hide very well. The media does that for them, which is not surprising because then own them all.

Old
  (#11)
Clouseau
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI HD6950 Twin Frozr III
Processor: Phenom II x4 940BE
Mainboard: ASUS M3A32-MVP WiFi
Memory: GSkill Pi-Black 4x2GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Antec HCP 1200
Default 04-23-2013, 06:56 | posts: 376

Anyone know if residents in states like Alaska, Oregon, and other states that do not have a state sales tax would need to pay a sales tax based on the location of the store? Would it be based on where the item is initially shipped from?

States are hurting so they need to expand the tax base or increase the rate. Increasing the tax base is more fair. Tourists pay the local sales tax, so online purchases should require the buyer to pay the tax as well. Just because one is physically located in a different location from the physical wharehouse or store should not exclude them from paying the sales tax. The sale occurs in the state where the sale is made. The issue is what is the methodology of determining where the sale is made.

Last edited by Clouseau; 04-23-2013 at 07:13.

Old
  (#12)
IPlayNaked
Banned

Videocard: XFire 7950 1200/1850
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 5 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 04-23-2013, 13:08 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Anyone know if residents in states like Alaska, Oregon, and other states that do not have a state sales tax would need to pay a sales tax based on the location of the store? Would it be based on where the item is initially shipped from?

States are hurting so they need to expand the tax base or increase the rate. Increasing the tax base is more fair. Tourists pay the local sales tax, so online purchases should require the buyer to pay the tax as well. Just because one is physically located in a different location from the physical wharehouse or store should not exclude them from paying the sales tax. The sale occurs in the state where the sale is made. The issue is what is the methodology of determining where the sale is made.
According to the current bill, as I understand it, the sales tax works like a federal tax that goes to states. So even states without sales tax would pay it.

As for this bill, it's been a long time coming. Either, we abolish sales taxes for brick and mortar stores or we implement them on online retailers. It's simply not fair for a Best Buy or any other store to have to compete with online retailers who have a 6-10% better margin simply because a law doesn't apply to them yet.

Old
  (#13)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX770 4GB FTW
Processor: i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: SB X-FI Fatality
PSU: EVGA 750G2
Default 04-23-2013, 13:24 | posts: 4,718 | Location: Washington DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkinsteven View Post
That's were you are wrong. If everyone suddenly said no then they have no chance. We outnumber them by such are large number. Overnight we could take back everything if people would just get motivated and turn off the TV. They are a very small group of people sitting at the top, they just hide very well. The media does that for them, which is not surprising because then own them all.
That's where you are wrong. If everyone said no, the government is still going to impose this new tax and you will either buy the products you need online or you won't. Either way, you'll be paying tax for them.
Everyone has this thought that if the public stands up and disagrees with the government that the government will cave in to the people's demands. Sadly, the government doesn't work like that anymore and it probably won't for a very long time. They are going to do what they think is the right decision whether you like it or not.

edit: and further, the vast majority of the public would not want to take on the government/military in an attempt to dissolve the government. Not only would you lose, you would most likely get killed in the process.

Old
  (#14)
IPlayNaked
Banned

Default 04-23-2013, 13:53 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlkoho View Post
That's where you are wrong. If everyone said no, the government is still going to impose this new tax and you will either buy the products you need online or you won't. Either way, you'll be paying tax for them.
Everyone has this thought that if the public stands up and disagrees with the government that the government will cave in to the people's demands. Sadly, the government doesn't work like that anymore and it probably won't for a very long time. They are going to do what they think is the right decision whether you like it or not.

edit: and further, the vast majority of the public would not want to take on the government/military in an attempt to dissolve the government. Not only would you lose, you would most likely get killed in the process.
I'm so cynical, I'm so cool, so ahead of everything.

Nah, come on. If everyone started groaning about this, it would go away, don't be silly.

Old
  (#15)
Exodite
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 6950 2GB @ Stock
Processor: Intel i7 2600K @ 1.15V
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro B3
Memory: 8GB Kingston PC10600
Soundcard: Realtek 892
PSU: Seasonic SS-460FL
Default 04-23-2013, 13:57 | posts: 1,652 | Location: LuleŚ, Sweden

It seems obvious to me that this is really the only way forward, if there's a sales tax it should be applied equally.

I can't understand the controversy, this is the way I'd imagine it works in most of the world as it is.

Old
  (#16)
WindtalkerCS
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x EVGA GTX 280's
Processor: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X58-UD5
Memory: OCZ PC-12800 3x2gig
Soundcard: Presonus Firepod
PSU: Enermax Revolution 1050w
Default 04-23-2013, 14:04 | posts: 439 | Location: Upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayNaked View Post
It's simply not fair for a Best Buy or any other store to have to compete with online retailers who have a 6-10% better margin simply because a law doesn't apply to them yet.
Hold up, when have you ever bought something from Best Buy (or any other retail) and not been explicitly charged for sales tax? Best Buy doesn't just eat the charge, they pass it on. Their margins are exactly the same either way.

Old
  (#17)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HIS HD 6870
Processor: I3-2120
Mainboard: ASRock H61icafe
Memory: 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1333
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: PC Power&Cooling S61EPS
Default 04-23-2013, 14:15 | posts: 2,878 | Location: Evans Ga,USA

It helps pay for the Obama phone.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...g-out-control/

Old
  (#18)
IPlayNaked
Banned

Default 04-23-2013, 14:38 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindtalkerCS View Post
Hold up, when have you ever bought something from Best Buy (or any other retail) and not been explicitly charged for sales tax? Best Buy doesn't just eat the charge, they pass it on. Their margins are exactly the same either way.
Calling it their margin was the wrong way to phrase it maybe. The point was that they have 6-10% leeway on pricing. Amazon can charge 5% more for a device and still be under the cost at Best Buy, despite Best Buy's best efforts.

Old
  (#19)
RavenMaster
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x EVGA GTX 780's SLI
Processor: Core i7 4960X 4.0ghz
Mainboard: Asus RIVE Black Edition
Memory: 32GB DDR3 Corsair 1600mhz
Soundcard: Creative SB ZXR
PSU: CM Silent Pro Gold 1200w
Default 04-23-2013, 14:41 | posts: 524 | Location: UK

Didn't America fight their War of Independence so that their citizens didn't have to pay taxes to Crown and King and Parliament? Coz if that was the reason (and i'm sure it was) then the entire American government are a bunch of un-patriotic hypocrites.

Last edited by RavenMaster; 04-23-2013 at 14:46.

Old
  (#20)
kapu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte HD7970 GHz TOP
Processor: Intel i5 750 @ 4.0 /1.38v
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D
Memory: GoodRAM 8GB , 1600 MHz
Soundcard: X-Fi Gamer|Siberia V2
PSU: Be Quiet! E9 680W
Default 04-23-2013, 14:50 | posts: 3,642 | Location: Poland

You Americans should stop compalining

In EU you have 20-25% VAT on allmost everything , compare that to ~6% sales tax.

Hell, Hungary have 27%...

Old
  (#21)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 690
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 04-23-2013, 14:52 | posts: 7,042 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenMaster View Post
Didn't America fight their War of Independence so that their citizens didn't have to pay taxes to Crown and King and the bank of England? Coz if it was then the entire American government are a bunch of un-patriotic hypocrites.
Well I think the problem was that they were paying taxes and having absolutely no say in policy changes. Hence: "No Taxation without Representation".

That being said I'm tired of paying taxes to a government that can barely function correctly. It took me three hours today to figure out how to renew NJ Waste Decals because NJDEP site is godawful and doesn't support anything over IE6 basically. And obviously that's like the most basic stuff, how about the ~22k they spend per student on education in abbot districts whose combined SAT score is sub 1000. Or the NJ State Troopers who are collecting 75% pension at 45 for doing nothing but generating more $$ in fines. Trust me I can keep going on and on -- and that's only for my state. The Federal government is even more ****ed up.

Old
  (#22)
Neo Cyrus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX HD 6970 @ 1015/6400
Processor: Xeon W3530 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 2.0
Memory: 6GB DDR3-2000 9-9-9-24-1T
Soundcard: SB ZxR + DT 990 Pro-250
PSU: Antec High Current 900W
Default 04-23-2013, 15:09 | posts: 7,487 | Location: GTA, Canada

At least your taxes are low in most states. It's always been a 13-15% kick to the balls here, and now before taxes are applied we have environmental fees, daylight robbery.

Old
  (#23)
WindtalkerCS
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x EVGA GTX 280's
Processor: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X58-UD5
Memory: OCZ PC-12800 3x2gig
Soundcard: Presonus Firepod
PSU: Enermax Revolution 1050w
Default 04-23-2013, 15:15 | posts: 439 | Location: Upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayNaked View Post
Calling it their margin was the wrong way to phrase it maybe. The point was that they have 6-10% leeway on pricing. Amazon can charge 5% more for a device and still be under the cost at Best Buy, despite Best Buy's best efforts.
I suppose that's true, but they are walking a tight rope. Online comes with shipping charges (normally) and in the case of Amazon I have to pay tax anyway (NY).

Old
  (#24)
Fender178
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire r9 290 tri-x 4gb
Processor: i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz @1.26V
Mainboard: Asus Z97 Pro
Memory: Gskill Ares 16gb 2133mhz
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair AX 860W
Default 04-23-2013, 16:55 | posts: 1,412 | Location: Pennsylvania

Amazon also Collects sales tax from PA residents as well. Well since I am an Amazon Prime member I really don't have to worry about shipping costs. This was a gray area for a while. I don't see any problems with it because buying online is like shopping at an actual store minus the driving and plus on the waiting. I can see why adding sales tax on top of shipping costs could drive up the price of an item.

Old
  (#25)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Realtekģ ALC887-VD
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 04-23-2013, 17:38 | posts: 16,412 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
You mean the "Bush phone"?

The "Obama phone" comments get old. G.W. Bush was President when that went into effect. Bill Clinton was President when the initial bill was passed and signed that made the free cellphone **** possible.

The Telecommunications Act of 1996 allowed those that couldn't afford it, to receive free landline phone service subsidized by the US Gov't. In 2008, congress passed and G.W. Bush signed an amendment to the bill allowing for Gov't subsidized cellphone service.

Since the amendment to the Telecommunications Act of 1996 was signed in 2008 and Obama wasn't sworn in as President until January 26, 2009....why do people refer to it as "Obama Phone"? It happened before Obama even won the election....