Windows 8.1 to bring back familiar parts of Windows 7

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Video already pulled Mr. H. While I've been using Win 8 for awhile and it works well, I do believe they should have left the option available for 'classic' mode.

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    This doesn't surprise me considering everyone and their dogs who I've encountered are annoyed by Win 8. My laptop came with Winblows 8 so I'm interested in finding out how much an upgrade license will cost. Whoever said just use Win 8 and you'll get used to it couldn't be more wrong, I still hate it. I'm more annoyed by Ribbon replacing common sense/menus than I am with Metro replacing the start menu. That and Win 8's search is far worse than Win 7's. Even something as commonplace as "Computer Management" is hidden.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Are your Win+X keys broke? :)

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Might be broken when combo'd with OEM installed Win 8. Because you know, better protect those users from themselves. Can't let them access basic tools, they might destroy their PCs.

Even when that shortcut works, that's still no reason to hide anything when it's searched for.

Edit: I like how MS's website doesn't list Win + X under their list of new shortcuts either.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Now to make it less ugly :) The program title bars are just one area that looks ugly, along with the open-with menu (the listings use Windows 95 style icons on a square screen background, not just the icon on the open-with background).

7. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    finally, maybe now i can upgrade..the interface of windows 8 is interesting, but i would like the opportunity of going back to my classic explorer..

8. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Ahahahahahahaaha backtrack much? I love how they took choices away from users and now they have no choice but to change things back oh the delicious irony!!

9. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    does he have to know key bindings?
    Or anybody?
    Besides...win key sucks hard, many players just rip it off for own good...nothing more frustrating than missclick with alt and going to desktop while fire exchange in bf3 or similar game...

10. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Just right click bottom left corner dude, its not as hard as your hyperbole makes out.

11. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I don't think Windows 8 can be "saved" though.
    Just like with how people still say Vista is crap, so will people do with Windows 8, no matter how many issues MS manages to rectify.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Sure they list it...sheesh...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/keyboard-shortcuts

And gosh when I hit the Win key and type compu... and golly! Computer Management shows up. :3eyes:

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Hardly a hyperbole, I didn't even know that was possible. If I didn't know, what are the odds an average user does when Microsoft don't even list it under their list of changes or new functions? What are the odds a first time user would know? Compare that to a first time user simply entering what they want in a search bar.

And I reiterate, that is still no reason to hide it from a search. What if I simply wanted a quick way to pin an icon rather than use a menu so I can access it in a single click rather than two? I don't see why any function or tool should be hidden from a search.
    No, they don't: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/new-keyboard-shortcuts#1TC=t1

Computer management only appears in a search if admin tools are enabled or if it has been manually pinned. By default it does not show, nor does any other "administrator" tool.

I don't see why everyone is so defensive when it's such a pointless limitation. I searched for it, it didn't show, there is no reason for that to be regardless how many shortcuts or methods there are to access it. Next will you argue that the Ribbon interface or Metro are also good ideas?

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The average user can read at a 8th grade level. Come on. I can see not liking the interface, but in all of 10 minutes you could have discovered how to use all these things easily.

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I just posted the link for you. You're silly.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I can't tell if you're serious, I searched for a list of new commands, which is what I said. It's not there. You're grasping at straws. And I'm not sure if you understand that shortcut doesn't work for me either. I haven't tried right clicking the corner yet but I wouldn't be surprised if that's disabled by default as well.

Name one good reason for anything to be hidden from the search.

Shall I complain about more things since you have no real argument against that complaint? Why does it ask for permission to proceed on most things when I am logged into an admin account and UAC is disabled?

17. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Or they just buy a gaming keyboard where you can disable the win key......

18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    that ain't gonna happen, it's just a different w8 version, nothing more nothing less.

19. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    for performance wise microsoft team's ok, for usability they're a bit unstable but for visuality wise they clearly ran out of ideas.

20. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    There's half a dozen or so new things to learn, its not hard fella. Do you avoid using Android machines too as you'll have to learn new stuff?

Search drags up everything for me what are you looking for?