Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..

FIFA 14 Announced
Old
  (#1)
blesner
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI Nvidia GTX 690
Processor: Intel I7 930 2.8 @ 3.8ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
Memory: 6gigsCosairDomDDR32000MHZ
Soundcard: Asus DX2 Xonar PCIE
PSU: Antec Quattro Power 850w
Default FIFA 14 Announced - 04-17-2013, 16:37 | posts: 2,625 | Location: SA

Also looking forward to PES 2014 which will now use the MGS engine.

Quote:
FIFA 14 New Features Revealed
Fluid Dribbling, Improved Shooting, More Satisfying Goals
by Daniel Krupa APRIL 17, 2013

One of the main pieces of feedback the EA Sports team in Vancouver has received since the release of the phenomenally-successful FIFA 13 is that matches can, at times, feel too open, too back-and-forth. It's undeniably exciting, but perhaps unfairly favours route-one football. The changes introduced in FIFA 14 attempt to nurture the art of build-up play, of crafting an attack through the centre of the park, with the hope that the resulting goal will feel all the more satisfying.

Dribbling is reliably one of the most exciting aspects of the sport – that engrossing combination of athleticism and arrogance required to beat an opponent – yet that thrill has always been difficult to capture. FIFA 13 definitely made an effort to rectify that with the introduction of Complete Dribbling, the ability to manipulate the ball in all-directions while standing still. FIFA 14 takes the next logical step – you’ll now be able to move freely while sprinting with the ball at your feet. It’s correcting something that’s long been an accepted but archaic feature of football games: sprinting players are restricted to a measly turning circle of 22.5 degrees. Real-life players aren’t limited by this arbitrary value, however, and can twist and turn in a variety of ways, bamboozling defenders with mazy runs. To introduce this feature, and keep things realistic and more importantly fair, FIFA 14 is also introducing its players to the physical force of momentum.

Momentum does not care for dribbling, and will do it's very best to stop players from doing anything too outlandish. That means players won't be able to change direction instantly without consequence. And you can even see the invisible force working upon the players – new animations let players shift their weight from side-to-side, throwing their arms out to maintain balance. Running with the ball definitely looks more fluid and realistic than before.

Improved dribbling.

Accompanying the introduction of any new feature that benefits attacking comes the worry of making the game unfair to those stuck defending. But the new fluid dribbling system is offset by what EA is calling 'variable dribble touches' – basically, the ball won't be stuck to your player's gluey toes. When sprinting at full-pace, the distance of the ball from the player's foot will vary, depending on the heaviness of the touch. It'll give defenders valuable opportunities to win the ball back, preventing this new approach to dribbling from becoming totally unstoppable. Naturally more gifted players – think Messi, Ronaldo, Bale – will be able to keep the ball more tightly under their spell than an intrepid centre-half wandering into the final third.

Complementing the enhanced dribbling mechanics is the ability to protect the ball. It's best to think of them working in tandem – this is reflected by how they've been mapped to the controller. Sprinting remains on RT/R2 but shielding – previously a fiddly combination of button presses – is now simply activated by holding down LT/L2. While it may not sound like the most spectacular addition, the ability to shield the ball really has the potential to add a huge amount to FIFA's gameplay. It's perhaps most useful to think of it as the ability to buy time on the ball. You can now use LT/L2 to throw your weight around, backing into opponents sniffing around the ball. Time it correctly and you'll win that half-yard to set off on a run, make a considered pass or unleash a more composed shot. It’s making FIFA 14 more physical, and is in many ways the opposite of last-year’s push-pull mechanic that was given to defenders (that's when you tap O or B to jostle or pull the shirt of a nippy winger). Yes, it’s time to give defender’s a taste of their own medicine. Stronger players will naturally be able to shield the ball more effectively. So while Messi might be the best if you want to go on intricate runs, if you want to get physical it’s probably best to do so with traditional number 9s, like Didier Drogba or Andy Carroll.

Build-up play is not only being supported by what you can do on the ball but what your teammates are doing all around you. There’s been a drive to make them much smarter. Marking is much tighter with players making more intelligent defensive decisions right across the pitch. Previously, defenders made judgement calls based on single frames of animation, but that wouldn’t always cope so well with players who check their runs or more complex attacking plays. FIFA 14's defenders now make decisions based on multiple frames of gameplay, resulting in more reliable, less impulsive decision making.

Let's get physical. Physical.

Your team will also defend much more cohesively, boxing in players, denying that easy outlet pass. This intelligence is also present when you’re attacking, too – players will now cannily check their runs, turn defenders, run along the defensive line. They’re all handy visual cues, subtly letting you know what options are available. It not only looks closer to the real game with lots of incidents happening across the field, it's hoped that it'll also provide a more intuitive way of conveying information to the player, especially those unfamiliar with the series.

The intention isn't to make the game more challenging but all that more satisfying. There’s that word yet again. If last year was all about ‘unpredictability’, FIFA 14 is definitely about creating ‘satisfaction’ and nowhere is this more evident than scoring goals.

Ah yes, that unrivalled moment of pure elation which defines the sport. Scoring in FIFA isn't always easy. It shouldn't be, but sometimes you're left baffled as to why your shot was so hopelessly, embarrassingly off target. If you're a FIFA aficionado you'll probably know exactly what you did wrong, but other people aren't so sure. One of the reasons for this confusion is the lack of visual feedback given to the player – that is, the character animation in FIFA 13 doesn’t reflect what you did wrong.

Players in FIFA 14 contextually adjust to their feet and stride length to prepare themselves to shoot. FIFA’s producers refer to this as ‘getting into phase’. So if the ball is stuck under your feet or you’re being closely marked by defenders, the resulting shot will reflect these pressures – it’ll be snatched or taken slightly off-balance.

The biggest overhaul to shooting is probably the ball physics themselves. EA Vancouver has decided to adopt a "non-linear drag coefficient which more accurately imitates the flight of a ball than the extant linear deceleration algorithm". Got that? Yeah, me neither, but what that actually means is that balls now fly through the air with greater realism. It allows for a variety of new shot types (you can see some of them in action in the video above). There’s nothing predictable nor plodding about the ball's trajectory – it'll dip and fizz with all the erratic energy of a modern ball. These physics are specific to shooting either - you'll notice the effects in long-ball crosses and so on.

Those are the big marquee features – dribbling, shielding, team-mate intelligence. But there promises to be a glut of tweaks to fundamental elements too, such as curved lofted through-balls and second-chance tackles. Elsewhere, career mode will benefit from a cleaned-up user-interface and a refreshed approach to scouting, which simplifies the process of finding the exact player you need for your side.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/...a-14-announced

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/...tures-revealed

Old
  (#2)
WhiteLightning
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780GTX ACX
Processor: i7-2600k HT @ 4.5 +H70 PP
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING
Memory: Gskill 2133Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 1000 watt
Default 04-17-2013, 16:44 | posts: 23,385 | Location: Hoek van Holland, Netherlands

yes im waiting for pes aswell. will skip fifa this year

Old
  (#3)
slick3
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX560 DirectCU @ 1Ghz
Processor: AMD FX 8320 @4ghz
Mainboard: ASUS Skynet Edition
Memory: 8GB DeeDeeAre Three
Soundcard:
PSU: Silverstone Strider 500w
Default 04-17-2013, 17:16 | posts: 1,148 | Location: >.>

I thought FIFA 13 was really disappointing this year. So many bugs here and there and the amount of abuse that goes on in the game is mind boggling. I really hope they take the referee off the pitch for FIFA 14...

Old
  (#4)
menaceuk
Master Guru

Videocard: AMD 6950 2GB
Processor: Q8200
Mainboard: ASRock 4core 1333
Memory: 4GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
Soundcard: Asus Xonar
PSU: Corsair 650W Modular
Default 04-17-2013, 17:39 | posts: 234 | Location: United Kingdom

Sounds great to me. Now show us this stuff in action.

As for PES, Meh. I had hopes from the 13 demo but the the full game was just Meh. So disappointed but......It should have a new engine this year. Maybe it will finally catch up to FIFA in most aspects.

Old
  (#5)
AndreasGuido
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD7850 TF3 1050/1450
Processor: Core i5 2500K 3.8GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Soc
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX
Soundcard: Integrated 5.1
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W
Default 04-17-2013, 17:43 | posts: 3,377 | Location: Bristol, UK

If they dont make anything absolutely new or amazing i will be skipping and getting NHL instead

Old
  (#6)
Austyn

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 04-18-2013, 10:31 | posts: n/a

All those saying that will jump ship to PES... seems very unlikely. FIFA may not be perfect, it may have its flaws but for what it is, its a good, fun football sim.

Far more fluid than PES without a doubt. PES is good in its own right but for those that want "jump in action".. fifa is the way to go.

Old
  (#7)
blesner
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI Nvidia GTX 690
Processor: Intel I7 930 2.8 @ 3.8ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
Memory: 6gigsCosairDomDDR32000MHZ
Soundcard: Asus DX2 Xonar PCIE
PSU: Antec Quattro Power 850w
Default 04-19-2013, 16:18 | posts: 2,625 | Location: SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austyn;4579205[B
]All those saying that will jump ship to PES... seems very unlikely[/B]. FIFA may not be perfect, it may have its flaws but for what it is, its a good, fun football sim.

Far more fluid than PES without a doubt. PES is good in its own right but for those that want "jump in action".. fifa is the way to go.
PES will apparently be truly next-gen, new engine etc

I will be trying both(Demo) but buying only one this year.

Old
  (#8)
eclap
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD7950 CFX + Qnix QX2710
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: SB Z/Aune T1/AD700/DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 04-19-2013, 17:03 | posts: 26,081 | Location: Hampshire UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesner View Post
PES will apparently be truly next-gen, new engine etc

I will be trying both(Demo) but buying only one this year.
if that's the case I'm skipping FIFA this year. it's been the same disappointment for years now, all these 9/10 reviews for FIFA can go do one, it's a simple rehash of the same old boring game with bad ball physics. PES better be good!

Old
  (#9)
menaceuk
Master Guru

Default 04-19-2013, 19:33 | posts: 234 | Location: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclap View Post
if that's the case I'm skipping FIFA this year. it's been the same disappointment for years now, all these 9/10 reviews for FIFA can go do one, it's a simple rehash of the same old boring game with bad ball physics. PES better be good!
Ball Physics have been addressed and hope you think PES has bad ball physics too cause it really does and are PS1 era physics at that

But In general I agree with your enthusiasm on the next PES and using the Fox ( ?) engine.

Old
  (#10)
isidore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: nVidia GTX670M
Processor: i7-3610QM @ 3.2Ghz
Mainboard: Asus RoG
Memory: Asus 8Gb
Soundcard: Asus G75VW
PSU: Asus RoG
Default 04-19-2013, 19:36 | posts: 5,659 | Location: Timisoara, Romania

From the interview it sounds promising..a lot of issues gonna get fixed..but this time i won't pay blindfolded. I got screwed with fifa13..very frustrating.

Old
  (#11)
WhiteLightning
Ancient Guru

Default 08-20-2013, 12:44 | posts: 23,385 | Location: Hoek van Holland, Netherlands

FIFA 14 - Ultimate Team Legends Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKW4qE1bjgg

Old
  (#12)
ramthegamer
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 750Ti SC 2gbDDR5
Processor: Core2Quad Q9550@2.83 ghz
Mainboard: Intel DG41 RQ
Memory: Kingston 4gb DDR2 @800Mhz
Soundcard: Realtek High Definition
PSU: Intex accopia 600w
Default 08-20-2013, 12:51 | posts: 905 | Location: lebanon-middle east

Quote:
Originally Posted by isidore View Post
From the interview it sounds promising..a lot of issues gonna get fixed..but this time i won't pay blindfolded. I got screwed with fifa13..very frustrating.
all eyes are on PES this year since it's using a new engine, fifa 14 will be same old same old, the perfect game would be: merging fifa animations with PES gameplay.

Old
  (#13)
erikalui

Videocard: None
Processor: AMD Athlon 64
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: None
Default 08-28-2013, 14:53 | posts: 21

I am not a fan of FIFA in any way and so this game would not be of my interest. Anyways, thanks for updating.

Old
  (#14)
slick3
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX560 DirectCU @ 1Ghz
Processor: AMD FX 8320 @4ghz
Mainboard: ASUS Skynet Edition
Memory: 8GB DeeDeeAre Three
Soundcard:
PSU: Silverstone Strider 500w
Default 08-28-2013, 15:02 | posts: 1,148 | Location: >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikalui View Post
I am not a fan of FIFA in any way and so this game would not be of my interest. Anyways, thanks for updating.
Did you come in here just to say you don't play the game?

Lol.

Old
  (#15)
WhiteLightning
Ancient Guru

Default 09-05-2013, 13:13 | posts: 23,385 | Location: Hoek van Holland, Netherlands

The Top 50 Players in FIFA 14
http://www.ea***********/fifa/news-up...fifa-14-top-50

Old
  (#16)
ramthegamer
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 750Ti SC 2gbDDR5
Processor: Core2Quad Q9550@2.83 ghz
Mainboard: Intel DG41 RQ
Memory: Kingston 4gb DDR2 @800Mhz
Soundcard: Realtek High Definition
PSU: Intex accopia 600w
Default 09-05-2013, 13:31 | posts: 905 | Location: lebanon-middle east

not interested, this game looks the same since fifa 11, players all move the same way, no individuality, only graphics, even the stadiums are not simulated as they are in real life, only stadium that works is old trafford the only one that doesn't have a mile!!!!! btw goal posts and stands.

Old
  (#17)
menaceuk
Master Guru

Default 09-05-2013, 13:34 | posts: 234 | Location: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
Cazorla >>> Mata and Silva. at the very least he should be on par.

Old
  (#18)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 780
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: XFX Pro B.E. 850W
Default 09-05-2013, 13:35 | posts: 11,709 | Location: England

I'm getting FIFA 14 for my PS4 (or Xbox One, I haven't decided yet) and not bothering with the PC version, seeing as EA have chosen to gimp the game to focus on the next-gen platforms. I better it was be two or three years before the PC gets the same game as the PS4 and Xbox One because EA will want PC gamers to buy the more expensive console version instead.

Old
  (#19)
menaceuk
Master Guru

Default 09-05-2013, 13:37 | posts: 234 | Location: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post
I'm getting FIFA 14 for my PS4 (or Xbox One, I haven't decided yet) and not bothering with the PC version, seeing as EA have chosen to gimp the game to focus on the next-gen platforms. I better it was be two or three years before the PC gets the same game as the PS4 and Xbox One because EA will want PC gamers to buy the more expensive console version instead.
Gimp, really ? have you seen the xbox one footage ? looks exactly the same but with 3D grass and better crowds.

Old
  (#20)
Bond!JamesBond!
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 780
Processor: Intel i7-4770K 3.5Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS GRYPHON Z87
Memory: Mushkin BL DDR3 2400 16Gb
Soundcard: NVIDIA HDMI
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Default 09-05-2013, 23:53 | posts: 176 | Location: US

But frame rates 60+

Old
  (#21)
milamber
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x EVGA GTX 780 SC
Processor: Intel i7-3820 @4.3Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth X79
Memory: 16Gb Gskill Sniper @1666
Soundcard: Logitech Z623 / onboard
PSU: Corsair AX-850
Default 09-06-2013, 06:55 | posts: 813 | Location: Australia

For the first time in over a decade I won't be buying FIFA. It's like when the Xbox and PS3 came out and the PC version was 2 versions behind the consoles. I'll wait until FIFA 15 or 16 when it catches up.

Old
  (#22)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 09-06-2013, 08:04 | posts: 11,709 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by menaceuk View Post
Gimp, really ? have you seen the xbox one footage ? looks exactly the same but with 3D grass and better crowds.
Yes, EA have admitted that the PC version will not have the same engine as the Xbox One and PS4 versions. They may look pretty much the same, it's football after all so how different can they be, but they won't play the same. The PC version has missing features.

Read this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...version-doesnt

By the way, the next-gen platforms will almost certainly be targetting 1080p at 60 fps. The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of FIFA have always ran at 60 fps (at 720p) except for the replays and cinematics, which are 30 fps (or less at times!).

Last edited by Darren Hodgson; 09-06-2013 at 08:08.

Old
  (#23)
menaceuk
Master Guru

Default 09-06-2013, 09:47 | posts: 234 | Location: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post
Yes, EA have admitted that the PC version will not have the same engine as the Xbox One and PS4 versions. They may look pretty much the same, it's football after all so how different can they be, but they won't play the same. The PC version has missing features.

Read this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...version-doesnt

By the way, the next-gen platforms will almost certainly be targetting 1080p at 60 fps. The PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of FIFA have always ran at 60 fps (at 720p) except for the replays and cinamatics, which are 30 fps (or less at times!).
And I say again. Have you seen the xbox one footage. I mean actual game play ? cause it looks exactly the same as the PC, 360, PS3 versions except for some graphical enhancements

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbP9DaEc2IA

There really is nothing that seems gimped or a cause for people getting upset.

Old
  (#24)
mitzi76
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 580 (Agua)
Processor: CoreI7 920@4ghz(EK Sup)
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6gb Corsair 1600
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1
PSU: 850w Antec
Default 09-06-2013, 10:36 | posts: 7,897 | Location: UK

meh no legends for pc...that sucks.

went with fifa because I love ultimate team and the career mode..

plus i still think pes faces n graphics arent as good (could be wrong).

Old
  (#25)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 09-06-2013, 15:22 | posts: 11,709 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by menaceuk View Post
And I say again. Have you seen the xbox one footage. I mean actual game play ? cause it looks exactly the same as the PC, 360, PS3 versions except for some graphical enhancements

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbP9DaEc2IA

There really is nothing that seems gimped or a cause for people getting upset.
Yes, it *looks* the same but does it *play* the same? The answer to that is no because the PC uses the current gen engine whereas the Xbox One/PS4 games will use the new engine that has 10X as much animation and other new features.

If you want the PC version then buy it by all means. Me? I'm getting a copy free with my Xbox One anyway so there's no point in buying it for the PC even it wasn't gimped.