Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

PC sales in free fall
Old
  (#1)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default PC sales in free fall - 04-11-2013, 13:37 | posts: 3,458 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall Street Journal
The personal computer is in crisis, and getting little help from Microsoft Corp.'s Windows 8 software once seen as a possible savior.
Research firm IDC issued an alarming report Wednesday for PC makers such as Dell Inc. and Hewlett-Packard Co. saying world-wide shipments of laptops and desktops fell 14% in the first quarter from a year earlier. That is the sharpest drop since IDC began tracking this data in 1994 and marks the fourth straight quarter of declines.
Gartner Inc. a rival research firm, estimated global shipments sank 11.2%, which it called the worst drop since the first quarter of 2001. Gartner blamed the rise of tablets and smartphones, which are sapping demand for personal computers.
Microsoft, whose software is on a majority of the world's PCs, last fall introduced Windows 8, a completely overhauled operating system with touch-screen capabilities.
But there is little sign that buyers are responding. In a surprisingly harsh assessment, IDC said Windows 8 hasn't only failed to spur more PC demand but has actually exacerbated the slowdown—confusing consumers with features that don't excel in a tablet mode and compromise the traditional PC experience.

"The reaction to Windows 8 is real," said Jay Chou, an IDC analyst, about the negative sentiment.
"The PC market is evolving and highly dynamic," a Microsoft spokeswoman said. "Along with our partners we continue to bring even more innovation to market across tablets and PCs."
Mr. Chou said not only has Windows 8 failed to attract consumers, but businesses are keeping their distance as well. Chief information officers at several companies echoed his opinion Wednesday.
Ricoh Americas Corp., which replaces about a third of its 17,000 PCs every three years and upgrades to the most current operating system available, said this year it is sticking with Windows 7, released in 2009. Tracey Rothenberger, the company's chief operating officer, said the benefits of switching to the new software aren't worth the effort of training employees to use it.
"I don't think there's anything wrong with [Windows 8]," said Mr. Rothenberger. "But I think there's minimal value in the incremental changes that are there."
Microsoft executives have said Windows 8 would take many months to catch on with consumers and especially with businesses that generate the majority of the company's profits.
Mikako Kitagawa, an analyst at Gartner, wasn't so quick to blame Microsoft for the industry's woes, arguing instead that secular trends such as customer interest in touch-based mobile devices beyond PCs are playing a larger role.
"Windows 8 is the right direction," Ms. Kitagawa said. "It will be a while before Windows 8 is adopted."
H-P, the world's largest PC maker, showed the steepest drop in global shipments in the quarter with a 24% decline, according to IDC. Dell, ranked fourth in world-wide shipments, posted a 11% drop as it makes headlines for grim financial troubles and efforts to take the company private.

Last edited by Ghosty; 04-11-2013 at 13:42.

Old
  (#2)
PCElite
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI R9 280X Gaming
Processor: i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Gryphon Z87
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Soundcard:
PSU: AX Series 760
Default 04-11-2013, 13:42 | posts: 326

BS. Its WS after all.

Old
  (#3)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 980 SC
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe v2103
Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: XFX PRO Black Ed. 850W
Default 04-11-2013, 13:48 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

I'm not surprised. I only use my PC for gaming these days and much prefer to browse and listen to music (via earphones) on my iPad 4, especially as it means I can do so from the comfort of a sofa or my bed. The days of using non-office PCs for browsing and media are numbered IMO with the increased popularity of tablets and smartphones.

Old
  (#4)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 04-11-2013, 13:51 | posts: 3,458 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post
I'm not surprised. I only use my PC for gaming these days and much prefer to browse and listen to music (via earphones) on my iPad 4, especially as it means I can do so from the comfort of a sofa or my bed. The days of using non-office PCs for browsing and media are numbered IMO with the increased popularity of tablets and smartphones.
I use My Phone is listen to music. I have my PC next to my bed so I can browse the web while not having to move. But I only use it to play games, not much else.

Old
  (#5)
RavenMaster
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x EVGA GTX 780's SLI
Processor: Core i7 4960X 4.0ghz
Mainboard: Asus RIVE Black Edition
Memory: 32GB DDR3 Corsair 1600mhz
Soundcard: Creative SB ZXR
PSU: CM Silent Pro Gold 1200w
Default 04-11-2013, 14:00 | posts: 527 | Location: UK

Of course PC sales are down. Casual gamers flock towards tablets because those are far more noob-friendly than a non-intuitive Windows 8 PC. Business users often commute and need portability so tend to buy Laptops, Ultrabooks, Tablets which can link up to a projector or bigger screen.

The only people who generally need desktop PC's today are hardcore gamers... and we build our own. So of course PC sales are gonna be down. Plus with Haswell and Ivy Bridge-E just around the corner, plus Nvidia 700 series and AMD 8000 series GPU's, even the gamers will be holding off.

Analysts... Princes of the obvious.

Old
  (#6)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: KFA2 Anarchy 580@930/4650
Processor: 2500K @ 4.5GHz - blew it!
Mainboard: Gigabyte P67 UD4 B3
Memory: 8G Kngston 2.2GHz CL11 1T
Soundcard: Minimax+ & Dexa Opamps !!
PSU: Corsair Pro AX750
Default 04-11-2013, 14:08 | posts: 9,769 | Location: UK

Will MS take any notice.
I'm not holding my breath.

Theres so many things that baffle me with their recent decisions.
Not least of which is why they would take their main bread and butter of tried and tested PC OS sales and reduce them by pushing people onto tablets/touchscreens which is a much more open market that they have no good previous with and have failed through similar stupidity.
The PC OS is so unappealing they had to sell it at a knockdown price, and even then it still didnt get much traction.
Yet still they dont listen and further their stupidity by keeping it unreasonably awkward to use and oh so bland.
Are they really so deficient at coding that they cant make a nice looking OS?

My brother says his business of reselling and supporting Small Business Server has been shot to pieces as well, as MS have completely removed it from the produce line up!
More info
http://betanews.com/2012/10/31/who-k...server-google/
Theres so much more crap they are pulling, I have to shake my head.

I've lost it with them, in the same way I've lost it with the damn European union.
Run by imbeciles with ridiculous agendas and no focus on what really matters to the people.

Old
  (#7)
Passion Fruit
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 6950 Unlocked 900/1250
Processor: i5 750 @ 4209Mhz on H50
Mainboard: MSI P55-GD65
Memory: 4x2GB RipJaws @ 2100 CL9
Soundcard: XFI XtremeMusic / Z-5500
PSU: OCZ ModXStream 700W
Default 04-11-2013, 14:56 | posts: 5,993 | Location: Middlesbrough, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflore View Post
in the same way I've lost it with the damn European union.
Run by imbeciles with ridiculous agendas and no focus on what really matters to the people.
Vote UKIP then, the only way the UK will have any future outside of slavery of the mind.

Old
  (#8)
warlord
Master Guru

Videocard: amd 7850 cf
Processor: i7 3770k @4.8 HT
Mainboard: Msi Mpower Z77
Memory: 32gb ddr3 geil evo
Soundcard: creative
PSU: ax1200i corsair
Default 04-11-2013, 15:02 | posts: 497

Oh, well almost everyone has a PC and he doesn't need to buy again a newer one, most people out there buy gaming consoles, tablets and phones for all their needs. So they don't have the mood or the money to buy again a whole PC or a laptop. It's already done.

Old
  (#9)
Speed Weed
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 260+
Processor: Core i5 2500K @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Pro ( 3.1)
Memory: 8Gb Corsair @ 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Tuffpower 850
Default 04-11-2013, 15:04 | posts: 1,043 | Location: Somewhere in Scotland

Wouldn't be surprised if SmartPhones like the latest Samsung models have something to do with this.
After all, the SGS3 is a pocket-sized computer.

Old
  (#10)
Chillin
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 560 930/2300
Processor: i5-2500K@4.4GHz 1.2v H60
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: G.Skill 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer+Z506 5.1
PSU: Corsair TX 750w v2
Default 04-11-2013, 15:37 | posts: 6,440 | Location: Chilling

This is exactly what I've been preaching here for a quite a while, despite those who would stare ahead blankly over the precipice.

Everyone sees the writing on the wall but the "hardcore" gamers and PC enthusiasts who adamantly believe that the desktop has almost any future at all.

Old
  (#11)
Kwok
Member Guru

Videocard: Evga-GTX680 2gb
Processor: i5-2500k@4.6
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Memory: 2x4g Mushkin Redline
Soundcard: X-fi Pro Fatality
PSU: Corsair Quiet Pro-1200ex
Default 04-11-2013, 16:05 | posts: 72 | Location: Santa Ana, Ca

Hardware is so far ahead of the game these days that people don't need to upgrade as often. All the other posts here provide valid reasons as well.

Lets face it, most of the human populace cant handle a desktop PC. Its alot easier to "fingerpaint" than it is to type. They are happy looking at a 3x5 inch screen and playing their fav mindless little game or twittering like little song birds, because they can!

Old
  (#12)
h0d
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI R7970 Cfx - EKwb En
Processor: 3930k - EK HF-Supreme
Mainboard: Rog Rampage Extreme IV
Memory: DDR3-2133 16g
Soundcard: HT | Omega - eClaro 7.1
PSU: Silverstone 1200W
Default 04-11-2013, 16:33 | posts: 188 | Location: Québec

I knew there was a market lowering but not that big.

Old
  (#13)
hallryu
Don Altobello

Videocard: 2x HD7970 - QNIX/U2711
Processor: 3770k delid@4.6GHz - H320
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7 (F5)
Memory: Dominator GT 2133 2x4GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + SP2500
PSU: BeQuiet! DP Pro 1200W
Default 04-11-2013, 16:41 | posts: 11,376 | Location: England

Old
  (#14)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: KFA2 Anarchy 580@930/4650
Processor: 2500K @ 4.5GHz - blew it!
Mainboard: Gigabyte P67 UD4 B3
Memory: 8G Kngston 2.2GHz CL11 1T
Soundcard: Minimax+ & Dexa Opamps !!
PSU: Corsair Pro AX750
Default 04-11-2013, 16:48 | posts: 9,769 | Location: UK

lol, thats not like you Hallryu.

Old
  (#15)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 290X & 7950
Processor: 3770K & 2500K
Mainboard: GB Z77X-D3H / GB Z77-D3H
Memory: 16GB & 16GB G.Skill
Soundcard: Meridian 2G / xf-i fata
PSU: 1000W & 500W silverstone
Default 04-11-2013, 17:51 | posts: 4,016 | Location: Finland

cba really surfing on my tablet or phone. just sometimes. i love using my desktop computer tho. this might become niche market in future but well then so be it.

I hate to write using anything but mechanical keyboard and so forth.

Old
  (#16)
HonoredShadow
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 970 SLI OC+ASUS Swift
Processor: 2700k@4.8 Noctua NH-U12P
Mainboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 16GB Corsair 1866mhz
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX PCI-E
PSU: 1300W EVGA SuperNOVA
Default 04-11-2013, 17:53 | posts: 3,641 | Location: UK

^^^

Same here.

Old
  (#17)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 04-11-2013, 18:32 | posts: 3,458 | Location: UK

Trying to write on a touchscreen is a nightmare. Much quicker and smoother using a good old fashioned keyboard.

Old
  (#18)
hallryu
Don Altobello

Videocard: 2x HD7970 - QNIX/U2711
Processor: 3770k delid@4.6GHz - H320
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7 (F5)
Memory: Dominator GT 2133 2x4GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X + SP2500
PSU: BeQuiet! DP Pro 1200W
Default 04-11-2013, 18:41 | posts: 11,376 | Location: England

Quote:
lol, thats not like you Hallryu.
Just expressing my dismay. A shrinking market must mean higher prices eventually? Or will it have the opposite effect, generating competition and reducing prices!

Old
  (#19)
CronoGraal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD6870 1GB
Processor: Intel Q9450 @ 3.4ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X48-DQ6
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair 750W TX
Default 04-11-2013, 18:43 | posts: 3,827 | Location: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillin View Post
This is exactly what I've been preaching here for a quite a while, despite those who would stare ahead blankly over the precipice.

Everyone sees the writing on the wall but the "hardcore" gamers and PC enthusiasts who adamantly believe that the desktop has almost any future at all.
a tablet docked w/ bluetooth keyboard/mouse is practically a desktop anyway, esp if its hooked up to a monitor. the future of casual computing imo

Old
  (#20)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 04-11-2013, 19:01 | posts: 3,508 | Location: USA

Quote:
Will MS take any notice.
I'm not holding my breath.

Theres so many things that baffle me with their recent decisions.
Not least of which is why they would take their main bread and butter of tried and tested PC OS sales and reduce them by pushing people onto tablets/touchscreens which is a much more open market that they have no good previous with and have failed through similar stupidity.
The PC OS is so unappealing they had to sell it at a knockdown price, and even then it still didnt get much traction.
Yet still they dont listen and further their stupidity by keeping it unreasonably awkward to use and oh so bland.
Are they really so deficient at coding that they cant make a nice looking OS?

My brother says his business of reselling and supporting Small Business Server has been shot to pieces as well, as MS have completely removed it from the produce line up!
More info
http://betanews.com/2012/10/31/who-k...server-google/
Theres so much more crap they are pulling, I have to shake my head.

I've lost it with them, in the same way I've lost it with the damn European union.
we all know MS is their own worst enemy as of late, that is nothing new that trend will continue till they shape up or bury them selves which would a major feat on there end if they do.

Old
  (#21)
Veteran
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 690@1372-Vmod on H20-24/7
Processor: 4930k@4.2ghz-1.05v-H20
Mainboard: R4BE@Monoblock-H20
Memory: 16Gb Mushkin Redline2133
Soundcard: SupremeFX-Sennheiser 350
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
Default 04-11-2013, 19:20 | posts: 10,551 | Location: United kingdom

I bought a nexus 7 for xmas and its been patched with Custom roms etc.
I have not turned it on in around 3 months, its sitting under my monitor.

How people can play games seriously on one of these is beyond me.

As for consoles ill never buy another except for maybe MGS5 then resell after.Oh wait a minute my brother has a PS3 so ill just borrow his

PC for gaming is KING at it will be for alongtime yet!

Old
  (#22)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Default 04-11-2013, 19:22 | posts: 3,458 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
we all know MS is their own worst enemy as of late, that is nothing new that trend will continue till they shape up or bury them selves which would a major feat on there end if they do.
They appear to be doing a good job of it lately. What with the rumors of the 720 being always on internet connection, and Windows 8 being disappointing. And the best news of all, Office to appear on Linux.

Old
  (#23)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 04-11-2013, 19:24 | posts: 3,508 | Location: USA

its not over yet, just wait more to come i bet my life on it and it wont be pretty.

Old
  (#24)
orion24
Maha Guru

Videocard: Palit GTX 680
Processor: i7 920 D0@ 3.99 (210x19)
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 v1.0
Memory: Corsair 12GB@8/8/8/24/1T
Soundcard: Onboard, Logitech Z5500
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1kW
Default 04-11-2013, 19:44 | posts: 824 | Location: Greece

Desktop PC is and will remain a league of its own.

- The main reason the sales are in free-fall is the fact that the majority of people want a PC for nothing other than internet/office usage and the desktop PC technology is such that you can easily do such kind of usage even with a quality 10-year old unit. Lots of people are happy with their 2GB XP 32-bit system with a simple dual core CPU. They don't plan to buy a new PC unless it brings them measurable benefits. These people are the majority and dominate the market.

- The secondary reason is the lack research development. AMD is out of the race. Intel has slowed down the pace. NVIDIA & ATI are running out of steam and Microsoft avoids releasing a new Vista-like OS (meaning one that will bring low-end and mainstreams down to their knees) and Windows 8 is a joke for desktops. Personally I refresh my desktop hardware often, even if it is of little real usage to me, as I just like the idea of having a high-performance PC. Even so, after Intel Nehalem nothing had my attention.

Old
  (#25)
IcE
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: i5 3570K @4.0
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: SBZ + Aune T1 + CAL
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 04-11-2013, 20:29 | posts: 9,164 | Location: Toledo

Not a surprise given two things. For one - the economy still sucks and computers are a luxury. And two - most computers out there can do basically everything but gaming acceptably, so the impulse to upgrade for the average user is expiring, especially since mobile devices can do that stuff too.