Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Want to talk about anything Hardware related? This is the place, you can discuss it here.

Which Mechanical keyboard to buy?
Old
  (#1)
sounar
Master Guru

Videocard: GIGABYTE 780-WINDFORCE_X3
Processor: 2500K@4.5Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Memory: Gskil 8gig @2133mhz
Soundcard: SB ZX / M-AUDIO BX5-D2
PSU: Ultra 750w
Default Which Mechanical keyboard to buy? - 04-05-2013, 01:46 | posts: 622

So im looking to buy a new keyboard preferably mechanical as everyone swears by one nowadays. I am currently coming from Logitech G15 V2 and while I do love this keyboard I am starting to notice my WASD and Shift keys sometimes not registering well to my input in BF3/BC2 games as I sometimes have to double press the same key for it to register. So Im wondering which keyboard is my best bet.

Some things it must have is back-lit lighting and media keys like volume and mute as such my speakers volume knob is located on the back of the speakers so direct control is done through my keyboard. Cherry keys, i like the feel of blue switches as they give such an pronounced feedback but red switches i read are the best for FPS but dont have the tactile feedback..and black switches are in the middle of those two worlds from what i had read so perhaps black are the best for me?

Last edited by sounar; 04-05-2013 at 01:49.

Old
  (#2)
IcE
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: i5 3570K @4.2 GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z + CAL
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 04-05-2013, 02:13 | posts: 8,883 | Location: The Zone

The CoolerMaster Storm Trigger, or the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate. The Trigger has the added benefit of having different versions with different switches. In my opinion, the best overall switch is MX Blue. That tactility is excellent in gaming and typing.

Old
  (#3)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HIS 7870 IceQ GHz 2GB
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.3 w/YASYA
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97
Memory: 8GB G.Skill 1866
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Xtreme
PSU: TT Toughpower XT 675
Default 04-05-2013, 02:15 | posts: 2,907 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

OP, actually it seems you have the blacks mixed up with the browns. The browns are considered in between the blues and reds, while the blacks are in a league of their own. I tried a keyboard with blacks and didn't like it at all, the keys require more actuation force and I could see them causing fatigue after hours of typing.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/me...keyboard-guide This is a great resource for Cherry MX switches

Old
  (#4)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 780 Lightning SLI
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Default 04-05-2013, 02:18 | posts: 12,978 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSparil View Post
OP, actually it seems you have the blacks mixed up with the browns. The browns are considered in between the blues and reds, while the blacks are in a league of their own. I tried a keyboard with blacks and didn't like it at all, the keys require more actuation force and I could see them causing fatigue after hours of typing.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/me...keyboard-guide This is a great resource for Cherry MX switches
I have heavy hands, so a keyboard with black switches would probably be best for me. Too bad Razor doesn't make a keyboard with them.

Old
  (#5)
CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 3GB HD7970OC/2GB HD7770
Processor: 4770K@4.5GHz/Q6600@3.6GHz
Mainboard: Z87-GD65 / P5K PREMIUM
Memory: 16GB@1866MHz/4GB@1066MHz
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: 1200W/900W
Default 04-05-2013, 02:39 | posts: 5,671 | Location: Wolverhampton/United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhazeDelta1 View Post
I have heavy hands, so a keyboard with black switches would probably be best for me. Too bad Razor doesn't make a keyboard with them.
I have a steelseries 6gv2 which uses cherry-MX Black switches and I love it to pieces. One of the best keyboards I have used, and I have used a lot of them.

http://xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/perip...series-6gv2-2/

Old
  (#6)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 04-05-2013, 02:45 | posts: 2,907 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Quote:
If thats the case, you may like the blacks! Steer clear of the reds if you have heavy hands because those are featherweights lol. Thats why they say reds are good for fps, because they are very easy to quickly double tap. A bit too easy imo.

I own a Blackwidow that has Blues and although I love them for typing, I see no noticeable benefit in gaming. Browns would probably be the best for me, but I have yet to see keyboards with browns available at any retailer near me. I've been pretty happy with the blues up until now though and can't complain.

Old
  (#7)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Default 04-05-2013, 02:58 | posts: 12,978 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPC_RedDawn View Post
I have a steelseries 6gv2 which uses cherry-MX Black switches and I love it to pieces. One of the best keyboards I have used, and I have used a lot of them.

http://xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/perip...series-6gv2-2/
I checked out the steel series keyboards a while back. The only thing that stopped me from going with that keyboard was because it wasn't backlit. I know it may be a minor thing with most, but I gotta have a backlit keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSparil View Post
If thats the case, you may like the blacks! Steer clear of the reds if you have heavy hands because those are featherweights lol. Thats why they say reds are good for fps, because they are very easy to quickly double tap. A bit too easy imo.

I own a Blackwidow that has Blues and although I love them for typing, I see no noticeable benefit in gaming. Browns would probably be the best for me, but I have yet to see keyboards with browns available at any retailer near me. I've been pretty happy with the blues up until now though and can't complain.
The blackwidow ultimate stealth has brown switches. That's what I currently use. I sometimes bottom out the keys when I get to typing fast. They are much better than the blues on the regualr BlackWidow Ultimate, that's for sure. I have had no luck in finding a backlit keyboard that uses black switches. Or at least one that has a good build quality to it.

Last edited by PhazeDelta1; 04-05-2013 at 03:01.

Old
  (#8)
sounar
Master Guru

Default 04-05-2013, 03:10 | posts: 622

hahaha i just made my G15 mechanical with this (try key "D")

http://www.grc.com/freeware/clickey.htm

jokes aside so brown is my best bet for both worlds than im assuming..

Old
  (#9)
IcE
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: i5 3570K @4.2 GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z + CAL
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 04-05-2013, 03:22 | posts: 8,883 | Location: The Zone

Quote:
I checked out the steel series keyboards a while back. The only thing that stopped me from going with that keyboard was because it wasn't backlit. I know it may be a minor thing with most, but I gotta have a backlit keyboard.

The blackwidow ultimate stealth has brown switches. That's what I currently use. I sometimes bottom out the keys when I get to typing fast. They are much better than the blues on the regualr BlackWidow Ultimate, that's for sure. I have had no luck in finding a backlit keyboard that uses black switches. Or at least one that has a good build quality to it.
Better how? The only difference is that the browns are slightly easier to press and have less of a click sound.

Old
  (#10)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Default 04-05-2013, 03:28 | posts: 12,978 | Location: USA

They feel stiffer than the blues did.

Old
  (#11)
sounar
Master Guru

Default 04-05-2013, 03:29 | posts: 622

something like this is alright ?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=049341

how about black of the same one or this others one ?
http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=055900

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=051843

Last edited by sounar; 04-05-2013 at 03:35.

Old
  (#12)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 04-05-2013, 03:40 | posts: 2,907 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

The CM one with Browns looks good. I can't personally recommend the Blacks, they're not my style. Everyone has different tastes though!

Old
  (#13)
mrmonsoon
Master Guru

Videocard: Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
Processor: Intel I7 950/Silver Arrow
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth X58
Memory: Patriot DDR3-1600 (24GIG)
Soundcard: Asus DX2+ AVR 391
PSU: BFG 1000 Watt
Default 04-05-2013, 17:39 | posts: 697

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE View Post
The CoolerMaster Storm Trigger, or the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate. The Trigger has the added benefit of having different versions with different switches. In my opinion, the best overall switch is MX Blue. That tactility is excellent in gaming and typing.
I have the black widow ultimate and I do love it. The only thing's to know are it "IS" a very heavy keyboard. Other keyboards you push against and they slide on the desk, this one just sits there.

The only real thing I am not in love with is the "GREEN" back lighting...I would have much prefered blue.

As for the snapse2 it really is a minor annoyance. Yes you must register the exact model and serial number of your product. You make your settings online, but after all that, you can leave it in offline mode.

Old
  (#14)
Lycronis
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x GTX460 1GB SLI
Processor: i7 4770K - Kuhler 920
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Memory: 16GB Vengeance Pro 1866
Soundcard: Focusrite 2i4 & KRK R6G2
PSU: Antec TPNew 750 Blue
Default 04-05-2013, 21:37 | posts: 1,047 | Location: South China, Maine USA

I absolutely LOVE my Corsair K90! It has Cherry MX Reds, (except for the F keys, G keys and the Insert, Home, Page Up, etc. cluster as they are rubber dome) blue backlighting, separate media keys (with an actual volume roller) and a Windows key disabler. Although, I will be getting the newer Corsair K95 when it becomes available because it will be fully mechanical for all keys, have LED's (although white instead of blue) for every key with the ability to turn off the lighting for individual keys if you want. Before my Corsair I had the CM Storm Trigger with MX Cherry Browns and while it was a nice, solid, keyboard it falls well short of the K90 in my opinion. Although, one of the really nice features (at least for me) of the CM Storm Trigger was the ability to program ANY key on the entire keyboard to what you want. The K90 only allows you to program the G keys. And for me, I prefer the MX Cherry Reds over the Browns. Takes a bit to get used to them but once you do, you'll LOVE them! Regardless, ANY mechanical keyboard will put rubber dome keyboards to shame.

Old
  (#15)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 04-05-2013, 22:25 | posts: 2,907 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycronis View Post
Takes a bit to get used to them but once you do, you'll LOVE them! Regardless, ANY mechanical keyboard will put rubber dome keyboards to shame.
Isn't this the truth! I wish more retailers had a decent selection of mechanical keyboards. I just don't think the demand for them is very high with the general public, so you barely see them anywhere but online. This sucks, because you really can't know what they're all about unless you physically feel them and type on the keys. I have a Tiger Direct store close to me, and I'll be lucky to see two mechanical keyboards in there at any given time. One time I was in, they had a Corsair one with reds and a Steel Series one with blacks. The next time I was in, they didn't have any!

Old
  (#16)
sounar
Master Guru

Default 04-06-2013, 06:46 | posts: 622

have any of you guys tried this one? just looking through all my options..guess the k90, trigger and this gigabyte are the current ones for me..

Last edited by sounar; 04-06-2013 at 06:52.

Old
  (#17)
Trolle
Maha Guru

Videocard: Inno3D GTX780
Processor: I7 3770K
Mainboard: Asus Z77 Sabertooth
Memory: Corsair dom.plat 16gb
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 04-06-2013, 07:41 | posts: 988 | Location: Belgium

+1 for the corsair k90/95

Old
  (#18)
lehtv
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 7950 3GB
Processor: i7-3770K @ 4.2 GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V
Memory: 2x4GB Samsung 1333
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX + SH PC-350
PSU: Seasonic X-660
Default 04-06-2013, 10:03 | posts: 3,096

I recently bought the Logitech G710+. Got it for 115 eur, normally 150 eur. It's really awesome. I only wish it was PS2 and had a slightly bigger wrist rest, but these are very minor complaints. The Cherry brown switches are perfect, the backlighting is even and the design is top notch, plus 2 year Logitech warranty is nice to have.

Old
  (#19)
SLI-756
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 760 SLI ftw bios @1215
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.9
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: xfx 850
Default 04-06-2013, 11:16 | posts: 6,399 | Location: Sunny Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounar View Post
have any of you guys tried this one? just looking through all my options..guess the k90, trigger and this gigabyte are the current ones for me..

I have the gigabyte, my friend from work has one too, very solid, excellent for games, good for typing.

Old
  (#20)
waway625
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Powercolor R9 280X/ 3Gb
Processor: i7 950 @ 3.8Ghz HT ON
Mainboard: Rampage III Formula
Memory: 6Gb Corsair PC12800
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DG
PSU: Antec TP New 650W
Default 04-06-2013, 11:35 | posts: 7,968 | Location: Singapore

still swear by my Filco brown. Built like a tank. Its been 3 years yet the keystroke feels like day 1. No stuck keys, not much wear on the keys (actually no key character is workn off but some keys like WASD and 5 are a bit shiny)

Old
  (#21)
blesner
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI Nvidia GTX 690
Processor: Intel I7 930 2.8 @ 3.8ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
Memory: 6gigsCosairDomDDR32000MHZ
Soundcard: Asus DX2 Xonar PCIE
PSU: Antec Quattro Power 850w
Default 04-06-2013, 18:10 | posts: 2,613 | Location: SA

Anyone rate this? http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produc...yboard?crid=26

Old
  (#22)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD 6870
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 04-06-2013, 18:14 | posts: 19,055 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounar View Post
I like this keyboard and would go for brown, it's considered to be between the blue and black. Black sucks for long typing sessions and blue is susceptible to double taps and being really loud, yet it's amazing to type with. Brown is in the middle. Personally, I like tactile switches so that I don't necessarily need to bottom out in order to know that the key's been registered. The Cherry MX Blue, Brown and Clear are tactile switches while the Cherry MX Red and Black are linear switches which means it doesn't have a small bump feeling to let you know that the key has been registered before the bottom-out.

I have the Razer Blackwidow which I got 2 years ago, it's a Cherry MX Blue switch keyboard but at the time only Razer was selling it for the price point I was willing to pay for and there wasn't as much choice as there is now after other well known hardware companies started realizing the resurgence for mechanical keyboards.

Looking at this thread again, I'm surprised no one brought up the Mechanical Keyboard Guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/me...keyboard-guide

deltatux

Last edited by deltatux; 04-06-2013 at 18:20.

Old
  (#23)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 04-06-2013, 19:09 | posts: 2,907 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatux View Post
I like this keyboard and would go for brown, it's considered to be between the blue and black. Black sucks for long typing sessions and blue is susceptible to double taps and being really loud, yet it's amazing to type with. Brown is in the middle. Personally, I like tactile switches so that I don't necessarily need to bottom out in order to know that the key's been registered. The Cherry MX Blue, Brown and Clear are tactile switches while the Cherry MX Red and Black are linear switches which means it doesn't have a small bump feeling to let you know that the key has been registered before the bottom-out.

I have the Razer Blackwidow which I got 2 years ago, it's a Cherry MX Blue switch keyboard but at the time only Razer was selling it for the price point I was willing to pay for and there wasn't as much choice as there is now after other well known hardware companies started realizing the resurgence for mechanical keyboards.

Looking at this thread again, I'm surprised no one brought up the Mechanical Keyboard Guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/me...keyboard-guide

deltatux
Actually, I did - Post #3 Never hurts to get another link though!

Old
  (#24)
Lycronis
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x GTX460 1GB SLI
Processor: i7 4770K - Kuhler 920
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Memory: 16GB Vengeance Pro 1866
Soundcard: Focusrite 2i4 & KRK R6G2
PSU: Antec TPNew 750 Blue
Default 04-06-2013, 21:37 | posts: 1,047 | Location: South China, Maine USA

I have not ordered any yet (waiting on getting the Corsair K95) but I plan on getting some of these http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.p...dampeners.html to see how I like them (The Logitech G710+ has similar ones installed already, as does some other brands). Will probably go with the softest ones. Not that my keyboard is very loud, but it might be nice.

Old
  (#25)
lehtv
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 7950 3GB
Processor: i7-3770K @ 4.2 GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V
Memory: 2x4GB Samsung 1333
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX + SH PC-350
PSU: Seasonic X-660
Default 04-06-2013, 21:47 | posts: 3,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesner View Post
I did already
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehtv View Post
I recently bought the Logitech G710+. Got it for 115 eur, normally 150 eur. It's really awesome. I only wish it was PS2 and had a slightly bigger wrist rest, but these are very minor complaints. The Cherry brown switches are perfect, the backlighting is even and the design is top notch, plus 2 year Logitech warranty is nice to have.