Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything Catalyst related. AMD Catalyst drivers are for all AMD ATI based graphics cards. This is also the place to discuss modified Catalyst drivers.

What games actually use the multi-threaded SSE supported PhysX 3.0?
Old
  (#1)
hulawafu77
Master Guru

Videocard: 7970M
Processor: 3610QM
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Clevo
Default What games actually use the multi-threaded SSE supported PhysX 3.0? - 03-28-2013, 01:35 | posts: 191

Remember in 2010 when Batman was released, it became excrutiatingly obvious that the PhysX code was so old, that it was running x87 code and Nvidia said it was too much work to compile it for SSE? (Terrible excuse.) Also claimed that game developers did it on purpose since they only care about console and not PC, and specifically compiled the x87 code instead... I find that hard to believe that game developers would choose to screw over PC on purpose...

Well, Nvidia said wait for PhysX 3.0 since previous code was so old, they rewrote it. I couldn't help but notice, in 2012, Borderlands 2 still uses the old x87 version of PhysX. At every other game I've played that uses PhysX has run like crap too, Planetside 2, and now WarFrame also.

I'm curious, what game actually uses the PhysX version that Nvidia claims they did not purposely cripple for PC? Where are these games? Where are these games that Nvidia claims PhysX is CPU friendly?

Old
  (#2)
CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 3GB HD7970OC/2GB HD7770
Processor: 4770K@4.5GHz/Q6600@3.6GHz
Mainboard: Z87-GD65 / P5K PREMIUM
Memory: 16GB@1866MHz/4GB@1066MHz
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: 1200W/900W
Default 03-28-2013, 01:41 | posts: 5,945 | Location: Wolverhampton/United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulawafu77 View Post
Remember in 2010 when Batman was released, it became excrutiatingly obvious that the PhysX code was so old, that it was running x87 code and Nvidia said it was too much work to compile it for SSE? (Terrible excuse.) Also claimed that game developers did it on purpose since they only care about console and not PC, and specifically compiled the x87 code instead... I find that hard to believe that game developers would choose to screw over PC on purpose...

Well, Nvidia said wait for PhysX 3.0 since previous code was so old, they rewrote it. I couldn't help but notice, in 2012, Borderlands 2 still uses the old x87 version of PhysX. At every other game I've played that uses PhysX has run like crap too, Planetside 2, and now WarFrame also.

I'm curious, what game actually uses the PhysX version that Nvidia claims they did not purposely cripple for PC? Where are these games? Where are these games that Nvidia claims PhysX is CPU friendly?
Why would Nvidia make their technology (that they purchased for a nice price) to other hardware manufacturers?

They want to sell as many GPU's as they can and having it run only on their hardware and properly on their hardware will sell more GPU's that way.

Stick to turning off PhysX all together, its a pointless addition that adds nothing that new or groundbreaking to the table.

Until there is a new unified physics engine that can run on ANY CPU and ANY GPU then we will have to make do with what we have.

Old
  (#3)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Go!
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 03-28-2013, 01:57 | posts: 16,587 | Location: US East Coast

NVidia didn't purposely cripple PhysX at all. PhysX was intentionally crippled by Ageia. NVidia bought Ageia and their intellectual property (which included PhysX) in 2008. Ageia intended PhysX to be run on a dedicated physics processing unit, which processed x87 instructions.

I can not find any list that shows the PhysX version for games supporting PhysX.

Old
  (#4)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 03-28-2013, 01:59 | posts: 16,587 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPC_RedDawn View Post
Until there is a new unified physics engine that can run on ANY CPU and ANY GPU then we will have to make do with what we have.
We have Bullet Physics already....why do we need a second to do the same thing? Bullet will run on any Intel CPU, any AMD CPU or GPU and any NVidia GPU.... It's OpenCL based.

Old
  (#5)
hulawafu77
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 03-28-2013, 15:39 | posts: 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
We have Bullet Physics already....why do we need a second to do the same thing? Bullet will run on any Intel CPU, any AMD CPU or GPU and any NVidia GPU.... It's OpenCL based.
And what games uses Bullet Physics other than the useless 3DMark benchmark.

And yes, it would seem Nvidia did. Since everyone dropped x87 and depracated it, modern CPU will automatically use SSE, Nvidia had to constantly write in flags on purpose to tell CPU to use x87. That was the big issue, not Aegia, but Nvidia. And Nvidia had to rewrite PhysX since it uses their useless CUDA, so it would run on their board rather than on a separate board as Aegia did. It would seem Nvidia had a lot more to do unoptimizing PhysX than Nvidia lets on.

Old
  (#6)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GTX780 OC AmpFan
Processor: i7 4770K OC 4.7GHz @1.28v
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Crucial BLE 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Chieftec NTRO88+ 650W
Default 03-28-2013, 15:49 | posts: 8,000 | Location: Urban`Jungle

Bullet is used in Rage Engine GTA4, etc. And some other more indie like games. Kinda sad its not so widely spread..

As for Physx3, well its still crippled and needs more optimizations. All that fancy talk tech didnt do much,
https://developer.nvidia.com/physx-sdk-v31
maybe 10-15% faster compared to physx2.

Games with physx3

Warframe
The secret world
Arma3?
PlanetSide2?
Hawken?

Any U4E game in the future

Old
  (#7)
hulawafu77
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 03-28-2013, 17:05 | posts: 191

Thanks Tj. Yeah I noticed that Warframe has PhysX3 files. It's really amazing, how little PhysX does in that game, and how much damage it does to performance. If soloing it's fine, but once you have 3 other players using their skills with lots of adds, framerate drops nearly 60-70% on my machine. Before it will be running around 150 FPS, then it drops to 30 FPS. It's infuriating how bad PhysX is. I don't have this in Havok games.

Old
  (#8)
trocio2
Master Guru

Videocard: HD 4670 512mb DDR3 pci-e
Processor: Core 2 Quad
Mainboard: Intel DQ35JO
Memory: ddr2 800 mhz, 3x2gb= 6gb
Soundcard: Realtek
PSU: Cooler Master
Default 03-28-2013, 17:19 | posts: 382

I hate physx.

Old
  (#9)
Lowki
Master Guru

Videocard: 7970/7950 crossfirex
Processor: i5 3570k
Mainboard: msi z77a-ga45
Memory: corsair vengence 8gb
Soundcard: sound blaster z
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 03-28-2013, 17:31 | posts: 524 | Location: miami

Nvidia might like it to play on other hardware if they get paid royalties for ever game that uses PhysX.

Old
  (#10)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru

Default 03-28-2013, 17:36 | posts: 8,000 | Location: Urban`Jungle

Quote:
Thanks Tj. Yeah I noticed that Warframe has PhysX3 files. It's really amazing, how little PhysX does in that game, and how much damage it does to performance. If soloing it's fine, but once you have 3 other players using their skills with lots of adds, framerate drops nearly 60-70% on my machine. Before it will be running around 150 FPS, then it drops to 30 FPS. It's infuriating how bad PhysX is. I don't have this in Havok games.
here it doesnt drop that much, idk from avg ~90ish to 45-50ish fps, but when fps drops gpu usage also drops to ~ 50%, cpu usage is always the same.. Its like the code doesnt know how to properly utilize gpu resources and instead of maximizing gpu usage it stalls it with unwanted calls.

Same thing by U3E streaming

Old
  (#11)
Fox2232
Maha Guru

Videocard: Acc7970 XL2420T @120Hz
Processor: i5-2500k@4.5GHz NH-D14
Mainboard: MSI Z68A-GD80[g3]
Memory: 4x4GB 1600MHz 9,9,9,24
Soundcard: Essence ST / AKG K-701
PSU: FSP Gold series 750W
Default 03-28-2013, 17:53 | posts: 1,544 | Location: EU, CZ, Brno

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tj- View Post
Games with physx3

Warframe
The secret world
Arma3?
PlanetSide2?
Hawken?

Any U4E game in the future
Use of PhysX 3.xx SDK means nothing as Planetside 2 proven.
Maybe PhysX 3.xx SDK is optimized to run flawlessly on CPU, but Planetside 2 does not allow to enable CPU PhysX for any particle related effects.
It's in use just for vehicles movement and to be honest that is one thing on game which is not impressive.

And to tell just a bit more ugly stuff. My little i5 can handle 20k fluid particles with 120 iterations per second.
Planetside 2 at huge battles uses just few thousands. And engine is limited to 30/60 iterations per second based on type of effect. So no reason why even old PhysX, if it was multi-threaded, could not handle Complete CPU PhysX delivery for Planetside2.

And that's problem! Before they allowed CPU because no multithreading was implemented in game. (What kind of developer will decide to implement feature which does not work? There was a lot of pushing.)
Now when demand to support multithreading from box was fulfilled, AAA class developers skip CPU PhysX completely?

Even while I want to support Arma III will not buy it because they use PhysX. nVidia lost me over that software long time ago and as info for 3.xx SDK came out I was really optimistic with high hopes.
Those are now in dump where they should have been from start.

Who played TR3 could notice that even without special physical engine like Havoc/Bullet there was partially destructible world and it gave 10x more realistic impression than PhysX particle generator which just pops material out of nothing without removing pieces from something.

Old
  (#12)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru

Default 03-28-2013, 18:08 | posts: 8,000 | Location: Urban`Jungle

Well PlanetSite2 now uses Apex turbulence which uses physx3? as a backbone, idk i didnt play it after they implemented these Apex particles.

Actually i deleted the game because i hated its crappy performance and from what i've read its still crappy even on much better system then mine.

Old
  (#13)
Fox2232
Maha Guru

Default 03-28-2013, 18:15 | posts: 1,544 | Location: EU, CZ, Brno

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tj- View Post
Well PlanetSite2 now uses Apex turbulence which uses physx3? as a backbone, idk i didnt play it after they implemented these Apex particles.

Actually i deleted the game because i hated its crappy performance and from what i've read its still crappy even on much better system then mine.
Yes, they after long time re-enabled PhysX effects, but only on GPU. NO way to run it via CPU.
Not on system with AMD GPU anyway. Maybe on nVidia system it is possible to run it via CPU
Platform locked stuff, not really for me.

Old
  (#14)
Mr Terry Turnip
Master Guru

Videocard: Intel iGPU
Processor: Intel 4670K @4.3Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Pro
Memory: 8GB Corsair
Soundcard: ATI HD Audio
PSU: Corsair RM850W
Default 03-28-2013, 18:31 | posts: 254 | Location: UK

Nvidia are manipulative rip off artists, not an honest business who give a rats tit about there consumers.

EVERYTHING just boils down to that.

And the many people who (always - it's the same people) jump all over me to defend Nvidia are plain and simply just blind to it.

Everything is a gimmick/trick/excuse to BS more money from us, most of it is done under the table

Quite frankly if I was not constantly laughed off this board I would be fully expecting a (Nvidia) sniper to take me out from the window opposite, then bury me in PhysX rubble.

Luckily Nvidia can clearly see I am UNABLE to damage there reputation amongst these hardcore fanatics and Nvidia are in no need to take action.

So yeah, how's everybody doing today?

Last edited by Mr Terry Turnip; 03-28-2013 at 18:42.

Old
  (#15)
Spets
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX780Ti+GTX750Ti+G-Sync
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5
Mainboard: GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb 2133
Soundcard:
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA
Default 03-28-2013, 21:18 | posts: 2,066

The misinformation in this thread and hate bandwagon is hilarious.

Old
  (#16)
NiColaoS
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX770 WindForce
Processor: i5 3570K
Mainboard: P8Z77-V Plus
Memory: 2x4GB CL8 1,6Ghz BaliStiX
Soundcard: X-Fi FatalPro & Z5500 5.1
PSU: TPX-575M TOUGHPOWER XT
Default 03-28-2013, 22:03 | posts: 386 | Location: Macedonia, Greece

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPC_RedDawn View Post
Stick to turning off PhysX all together, its a pointless addition that adds nothing that new or groundbreaking to the table.
The problem is, many games do not even run without Psysx even on Low, at least. So, you do need PsysX installed or the appropriate dlls which the game provides. Those devs get paid well to be lazy and avoid the implementation of physics without the use of psysx. They should provide for both options with and without... but...

Old
  (#17)
Cronik
Maha Guru

Videocard: GIGABYTE AMD R9 280x
Processor: FX-8350 Vishera 4.0Ghz
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P
Memory: 8GB of DDR3 G.Skill
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z
PSU: KINGWIN ABT-850MM 850W
Default 03-28-2013, 23:38 | posts: 1,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spets View Post
The misinformation in this thread and hate bandwagon is hilarious.
Oh please explain.

Old
  (#18)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Default 03-29-2013, 01:11 | posts: 16,587 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
And what games uses Bullet Physics other than the useless 3DMark benchmark.

And yes, it would seem Nvidia did. Since everyone dropped x87 and depracated it, modern CPU will automatically use SSE, Nvidia had to constantly write in flags on purpose to tell CPU to use x87. That was the big issue, not Aegia, but Nvidia. And Nvidia had to rewrite PhysX since it uses their useless CUDA, so it would run on their board rather than on a separate board as Aegia did. It would seem Nvidia had a lot more to do unoptimizing PhysX than Nvidia lets on.
Both AMD and Intel processors will still execute x87 instructions, however, it's limited to a single thread.

The SDK was written by Ageia to use the x87 instruction set specifically. nVidia had nothing to do with PhysX using x87. nVidia only made the modifications necessary for PhysX to run on their GPUs through CUDA. PhysX was never, at any time, even remotely "optimized" in the least bit for running on a CPU.

As for the games using Bullet...it's a pretty pathetic list...

Quote:
Commercial games

Games using Bullet created by professional game developers for video game consoles or other platforms include:
Toy Story 3: The Video Game published by Disney Interactive Studios.[3]
Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption by Rockstar Games.[4]
Trials HD by RedLynx.[5]
Free Realms by Sony Online Entertainment.[6]
HotWheels: Battle Force 5.[7]
Gravitronix.[8]
Madagascar Kartz published by Activision.[9]
Regnum Online by ngd Studios. An MMORPG which in its latest major update its physics engine was replaced by Bullet.
3D Mark 2011 by Futuremark.[10]
Blood Drive published by Activision.[11]
Hydro Thunder Hurricane. [12]
Source

These are ALL of the games I could find listed as using Bullet Physics and the list is comprised of console, PC and others.

Last edited by sykozis; 03-29-2013 at 01:16.

Old
  (#19)
meatloaf2

Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 2GB
Processor: Phenom II x4 960t @3.8Ghz
Mainboard: AsRock 970 Extreme 3
Memory: DDR3 1333 8GB
Soundcard: Xonar DGX & Senn HD 558
PSU: Rosewill Stallion 600W
Default 03-29-2013, 01:42 | posts: 15 | Location: Utah

I am not a fan of proprietary tech that runs like crap on my system (AMD), I honestly don't mind with games like arkham city that have "extra" stuff with physx, I just turn it off.

However there are games that use physx primarily and cannot be turned off, that is incredibly annoying, and I think that falls more on the developer than on NVIDIA. I'm sure there are cases that NVIDIA pushes the use of physx, but in the end it is the developers at fault here, unless NVIDIA has more control than I think they do.

All I can say is NVIDIA needs to put less CUDA cores in it's GPUs and focus on OCL support, like AMD. I know CUDA has it's place in the production environment for rendering and such, but I think it should stay there. Have professional cards for that, and take CUDA completely out of consumer cards. I'm sick of gimmicks that make games unplayable for me.

And get rid of Physx..

Old
  (#20)
Fox2232
Maha Guru

Default 03-29-2013, 01:54 | posts: 1,544 | Location: EU, CZ, Brno

Just to add GRAW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InTZ6MhgzeE
This is from time PhysX was Ageia. It was about few particles here and there and a lot about real world physics/destruction.

If you still have this game just try it on your CPU, it will be single threaded x87 but will work perfectly on modern HW.
And experience is much better than today's PhysX games where PhysX is limited to cloth simulation and particle effects from shooting walls.

At time nV got it, there was support for multi-threaded CPU x87, which would provide sufficient resources to do all that stuff in real time.
But would you like to buy something just for marketing purposes and then allow developers to turn it against you and make it perfect on products of intel/AMD?

And as OP wrote, SDK 3.xx should be automatically able to multi-thread stuff and support SSE instructions. We will just have to wait for games which will show how true that statement nV gave was.
(And nV stated that developers may decide to turn off multi-threading at will... How Funny Warning.)

Old
  (#21)
Dublin_Gunner
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD7850 2GB
Processor: Athlon II x4 645 @3.7
Mainboard: CrossfireX 890GX
Memory: 4GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX 1000
Default 03-29-2013, 02:35 | posts: 4,632 | Location: Dublin, Ireland

People are forgetting about Havok Physics, recently acquired by Intel.

http://www.havok.com/products/physics

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...for_Games.html

Check its games list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havok_%28software%29

Old
  (#22)
Scyphe
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI Radeon 7950@1150/1700
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K
Mainboard: MSI Z77-GD65
Memory: G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3
Soundcard: Line6 POD HD300
PSU: Corsair RM750
Default 03-29-2013, 02:39 | posts: 415 | Location: Sweden

Most of PhysX is still running on the CPU, it's only a few very specialised functions that are actually GPU-accelerated. I saw a list once of which functions ran on GPU vs CPU but it was a long time ago (back when they found out PhysX was still using the old deprecated x87 co-processor instructions from the 80'ies).

Old
  (#23)
Espionage724
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI R7850 TF 2GD5/OC
Processor: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5GHz
Mainboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2
Memory: DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 8GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DG
PSU: Rosewill RG630-S12 630W
Default 03-29-2013, 03:06 | posts: 1,331 | Location: Charleroi, PA

This thread is so off topic...

Is it safe to say that there isn't any games using PhysX 3.0 and its multithreaded CPU support?

Old
  (#24)
hulawafu77
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 03-29-2013, 03:20 | posts: 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espionage724 View Post
This thread is so off topic...

Is it safe to say that there isn't any games using PhysX 3.0 and its multithreaded CPU support?
I can't think of any. Planetside 2 GPU usage is pathetically low with CPU usage pathetically low also. When I play WarFrame GPU usage is stuck at 50%, but my CPU is barely being tasked. Don't care what Nvidia or their supporters say, there is clearly a ton of things going to to make sure it runs like crap. And of course Borderlands 2 does give the option to turn on PhysX, good grief, FPS goes from 70+ to about 10-15 in some scenes featuring liquid junk physics.

Anyone who says it's Aegia's fault, is delusional. Nvidia acquired Aegia in 2008... Give me a break, if they haven't fixed it since, then yes, nvidia intentionally wants to cripple non Nvidia systems.

I'm really hoping when the new consoles come out, when ALL consoles will be AMD, and 2 out of 3 being x86 AMD based, developers will stop using this garbage PhysX.

But it's great to see that THREE YEARS after Nvidia announced they would fix this ****, there still isn't a game that demonstrates anything close to what Nvidia spoke of.

Last edited by hulawafu77; 03-29-2013 at 03:26.

Old
  (#25)
Raiga
Maha Guru

Videocard: GPU
Processor: CPU
Mainboard: Chipset
Memory: RAM
Soundcard:
PSU: PSU
Default 03-29-2013, 06:48 | posts: 1,053

PhyX is a 25% technology and 75% some thing else made exclusively to make fun at people who do not know much about physics simulation (especially trying to do micro simulations of them in games) and at competitors.

I am sure people have heard about PhyX software with intent slowing down micro simulations and reverse 3D space physics gravity when there is an AMD card on the same motherboard?.