Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell Benchmarks Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    One of Intel's upcoming desktop processors based on Haswell will be the Core i7-4770K. Tom's Hardware posted numbers and benchmark on this processor and compared it with the Core i7-3770K ...

Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell Benchmarks Surface

2. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    interesting scores, seems like when it comes to GPU performance the A10-5800K is still stronger. I'm more interested in seeing how the mobile line-up holds up though

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    meh. :rolleyes:

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Haswell was about power efficiency and the iGPU after all. I'm not suprised that it isn't outclassing Ivy Bridge. Any word on whether Haswell will also have that weird heat problem of Ivy Bridge due to the TIM or whatever?

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I haven't heard anything. But even if they use the same process this go around, it's nothing a 10 min procedure can't fix. :nerd:

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You did that on a thousand dollar CPU?! Damn :D

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    you can"t delid a SB cpu. but I did do it to my 3770k

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    TDP = 84 vs IB = 77?

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Only 7-13% faster than an i7-3770K at stock but what about overclocking potential and temperatures? Assuming the heat spreader issue has been fixed the new i7-4770K could run cooler and use less power at higher clocks than the i7-3770K even though the new CPU's TDP is 7 W more... right?

The i7-3770K looks like a great CPU and one that I would very likely have bought to replace my ageing i7-920 if newer Haswell CPUs weren't coming out in the next few months. I guess it depends on the pricing but it makes more sense to buy a current CPU for a newer chip socket than one for a socket that is about to be phased out. There again, does it really matter when a CPU usually lasts me 3+ years and its replacement usually coincides with either a new PC or a new motherboard?

10. kenoh

kenoh Active Member

GPU:
    TitanXP 2.1GHz
    seems like when it comes to GPU performance the A10-5800K is still stronger

that's too bad because there giving AMD time to catch up in the CPU department while intel is still behind in the GPGPU department...

if all we get is a lousy 7-13% increase then what the hell is there saving grace? there still behind low power efficient processors when it comes to mobile chips like QUALCOMM and Samsung and AMD still beats them in integrated GPUs and when it comes to consumer based chips AMD is catching up little by little and once they do why would the common consumer worry by then when we start to get performance figures like this?

I think intel needs to get there sh@t together!

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Anand said during his podcast that they fixed it. He wouldn't directly comment on whether it was soldered or not but Intel came to his house to demonstrate some of the new tech, he asked and they said they were aware and that it was fixed.

There saving grace is platform power. By moving the VRs off the mainboard into the processor they can switch states, voltages near instantly. Suddenly you're going to see devices like the surface pro go from 4-5 hours battery life to 8-9. Granted not many of us care about that as gamers, but that's the direction the market is headed so Intel needs to compete there.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  12. anf

anf Guest

GPU:
    650 ti boost 1 gb evga
    i think i will pick up a 3770k for 230 dollars

I think i will pick up a 3770k for 230 dollars at microcenter and get a 650 ti...
    it might not make a difference for me since i do not game much....but i am going to do it and then wait for gen after haswell:bang:

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sweet!

14. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    It's says that 4770K is 3,9 Ghz, while for tests it's probably been downclocked to 3,5. So at the same speed difference is small. And AFAIK 3770 had 6 cores => advantage in some tests. Anyway, I won't change my PC until next gen of hw, or gen after that comes. c2q is doing well. And new consoles should give huge boost to hw development, like the old ones did, so it would be not wise to upgrade now (especially if you don't have problems with your current hw).

15. kenoh

kenoh Active Member

GPU:
    TitanXP 2.1GHz
    yeah I understand that but there weakening a market there familiar with "Hardcore Gaming" "HTCP users" and people in applied sciences that need a cheap general use desktop computer to use on every day activities while not killing there bank accounts!

so there trying to take over a market that has other more experienced chip makers that have dominated the mobile enterprise for years and think they can come in and take it over night...? it won't happen because most people that throw money down on mobile phones are already an established fan base plus most of them are young adults that wouldn't even care if a phone or tablet was priced to a premium just because it had intel on the label!!

They don't have that type of trust or confidence in the mobile market with consumers yet plus most have a short attention span and that doesn't help nether....

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    3770 is 4 cores 8 threads and 3.9 is its turbo clock and that is only avaloble to one core at a time iirc to help with single threaded apps.

17. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    The performance looks somewhat lacklustre compared to my 3770K, oh well at least I can divert funds to another part of my rig instead :)

18. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    If true this is rather impressive.

I didn't expect as much as a ~10% IPC increase but it seems that's what we're getting.

And before people forget themselves, CPUs aren't GPUs. We're not doubling the number of compute units available for highly parallel loads but rather incrementally increasing IPC by roughly 10% on a yearly basis.

Say what you will about Intel but that's quite impressive.

The only thing that annoys me at this point is that the full GPU (GT3) isn't available in the desktop chips. If it were that would make for a very viable desktop system upgrade for my better half, as well as a few other family members, who really don't need a discrete GPU.

Heck, at this point I'm not sure if I do either.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    by processor multimeda float/integer/double its at least 40% faster.

That bandwidth int/float AVX could be sisoftSandra compatibility issue since 3gb/s slower, i doubt they would cripple memory bandwidth.

Also it will OC better, it has similar OC tweaks like SB-E unlocked bus? Imo another bonus, also fixed soldering like Denial mentioned and option to upgrade to Broadwell :]

20. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I don't know guys, it may sound like blasphemy on a hardware enthusiast forum, but I'm completely happy with my lil' old 750. At 3.6 GHz (voltage only slightly above stock @ 1.26V) and with my graphics card it still handles anything I throw at it really well. The only real issue here is my mobo bottlenecking my OCZ Vertex 4, but even so I keep my rig clean and everything is really fast. Programs open quickly, I can multitask without worrying, etc. Unless there is a serious jump in performance in the next gen, I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon. I'd rather get a nice 27" IPS monitor instead.