Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Windows 9 launches November 2014 Already
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone
 
Hilbert Hagedoorn's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Windows 9 launches November 2014 Already - 03-18-2013, 10:37 | posts: 21,306 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Though unconfirmed it seems that Microsoft is planning to release the next major version of Windows in November 2014. The product will not really be called Windows 9, but Windows Blue instead. Window...

Windows 9 launches November 2014 Already
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 03-18-2013, 11:10 | posts: 7,181 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

It's about time they moved to yearly updates. Their competition has been doing it for years and now that they are competing in mobile with their desktop OS, they'll have to move quickly in order to keep up.

But of course there will be a bunch of people posting about how this is too soon and it should be 3 year launch cycles.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 03-18-2013, 11:16 | posts: 6,888 | Location: Dubai

As long as they don't take to Google's numbering scheme, I don't care.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru
 
Loobyluggs's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 670 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default 03-18-2013, 11:29 | posts: 1,228 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
It's about time they moved to yearly updates. Their competition has been doing it for years and now that they are competing in mobile with their desktop OS, they'll have to move quickly in order to keep up.

But of course there will be a bunch of people posting about how this is too soon and it should be 3 year launch cycles.
Which is it? you want yearly updates or yearly launches?

Update Win8 November (blue - whatever that means) and Win9 November 2014.

2 year launches, with updates 12 months after release - sounds fine and stable, especially if they give it a cheap $25 upgrade fee and increased performance. Bargain.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 03-18-2013, 11:37 | posts: 7,181 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobyluggs View Post
Which is it? you want yearly updates or yearly launches?

Update Win8 November (blue - whatever that means) and Win9 November 2014.

2 year launches, with updates 12 months after release - sounds fine and stable, especially if they give it a cheap $25 upgrade fee and increased performance. Bargain.
Depends on what is involved in an update. Previously SP's offered a rollup of patches, maybe a security feature or two and any kernel changes they have to make. Windows Blue, whatever it is - a new release or a new update to 8, sounds like it's going to offer a ton more, which makes sense. Previously Windows was kind of competing with Apple's OSX, which is updated yearly for the most part and kind of Ubuntu, which was/is bi-yearly. Now they are competing with Android, OSX, iOS, Ubuntu, and soon possibly Tizen/Bada. They are going to have to deliver updates that are feature rich and either relatively cheap or free. You can call that whatever you want, I don't care.

What annoyed me was that when Windows 8 came out for $40 people were complaining that it was too soon after 7, despite the fact that Windows has almost always had a 2 year launch cycle. I'd much rather have a shorter cycle and cheaper prices.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
schmidtbag
Master Guru
 
schmidtbag's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x ATI HD5750
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 03-18-2013, 12:32 | posts: 421 | Location: MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
It's about time they moved to yearly updates. Their competition has been doing it for years and now that they are competing in mobile with their desktop OS, they'll have to move quickly in order to keep up.

But of course there will be a bunch of people posting about how this is too soon and it should be 3 year launch cycles.
If by competition you mean tablets and linux then i agree, but linux gets universally stable kernels maybe once every 2 years (such as 3.2 or 3.5) and android and ios are young and very complex (the more simple you make a device to use, generally the more code that goes into it). Also, all of these OSes have free updates. Mac released mountain lion after lion within a year because lion was full of problems, but otherwise they don't make yearly releases.

MS shouldn't do a yearly release just because "everyone else is". They don't make enough changes to qualify for such a highly priced OS. If they drop the price of Windows in half for all their products then maybe them doing yearly updates won't be so bad. But the problem with MS is they intentionally leave their older products in the dust when they might have a huge userbase.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 03-18-2013, 12:43 | posts: 7,181 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
If by competition you mean tablets and linux then i agree, but linux gets universally stable kernels maybe once every 2 years (such as 3.2 or 3.5) and android and ios are young and very complex (the more simple you make a device to use, generally the more code that goes into it). Also, all of these OSes have free updates. Mac released mountain lion after lion within a year because lion was full of problems, but otherwise they don't make yearly releases.

MS shouldn't do a yearly release just because "everyone else is". They don't make enough changes to qualify for such a highly priced OS. If they drop the price of Windows in half for all their products then maybe them doing yearly updates won't be so bad. But the problem with MS is they intentionally leave their older products in the dust when they might have a huge userbase.
I don't think that Android and iOS receive frequent updates because they are newer OS's or because they are complex -- I mean sure that factors into it, but I think the main reason is because the devices they are running on are constantly evolving. It's a new way of doing computing and there is tons of innovation going on constantly in mobile. Microsoft is now competing there and in order to stay competitive they need to evolve with it.

Now because they are using Windows as the one size fits all model, the desktop version is also going to have to be upgraded as the mobile version does. And obviously they are not going to keep the same pricing model if they move this direction or even upgrade path. They are going to have to move things into a way that makes sense for users to upgrade. But it needs to happen if they are going to continue to use Windows in mobile.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 03-18-2013, 12:47 | posts: 6,888 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
MS shouldn't do a yearly release just because "everyone else is". They don't make enough changes to qualify for such a highly priced OS. If they drop the price of Windows in half for all their products then maybe them doing yearly updates won't be so bad. But the problem with MS is they intentionally leave their older products in the dust when they might have a huge userbase.
+1. I'm particularly worried about backwards compatibility and stability with these frequent updates. Microsoft doesn't *have* to work like Google and Apple.

Microsoft has lost its way. At this rate their primary source of revenue will be royalty and licensing fees collections in a decade's time.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 03-18-2013, 12:55 | posts: 7,181 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
+1. I'm particularly worried about backwards compatibility and stability with these frequent updates. Microsoft doesn't *have* to work like Google and Apple.

Microsoft has lost its way. At this rate their primary source of revenue will be royalty and licensing fees collections in a decade's time.
Then what exactly is Microsoft supposed to do? Keep releasing desktop OS's until desktops are gone in 10 years then call it quits because they never got with the times?

Like I hate to break it to you people, but the time of the "PC" is gone. Yeah there will still be niche markets for it, gamers I guess will hold out a little longer. But in 10 years a cellphone will be far more powerful than a current generation PC is today and that's all the vast majority of users need. Where is the current generation of Windows in that future?

If Microsoft doesn't evolve, it dies. Windows 8 was an attempt at bridging that gap and it wasn't a bad one. Modern day computing has the power to virtualize backwards compatibility, so that isn't even a concern. Microsoft needs to drop all that stuff and move forward or they are going to get buried.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
schmidtbag
Master Guru
 
schmidtbag's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x ATI HD5750
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 03-18-2013, 13:09 | posts: 421 | Location: MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
I don't think that Android and iOS receive frequent updates because they are newer OS's or because they are complex -- I mean sure that factors into it, but I think the main reason is because the devices they are running on are constantly evolving. It's a new way of doing computing and there is tons of innovation going on constantly in mobile. Microsoft is now competing there and in order to stay competitive they need to evolve with it.

Now because they are using Windows as the one size fits all model, the desktop version is also going to have to be upgraded as the mobile version does. And obviously they are not going to keep the same pricing model if they move this direction or even upgrade path. They are going to have to move things into a way that makes sense for users to upgrade. But it needs to happen if they are going to continue to use Windows in mobile.
Right that's true, I forgot about how the hardware also plays a huge role in the need to update the OS. And your point about Windows being one size fits all makes the need for a yearly Windows update also be true, although, that seems like it would mostly only apply to Windows RT.

Like I said though, MS has a tendency to not support older OSes. I think what a lot of people don't realize is Service Packs are basically MS's way of releasing a new OS without leaving it's customers in the dark. Service Packs were kind of yearly, so basically by MS making official yearly releases means you are paying for Service Packs and if you don't pay then you lose support.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
Solfaur
Ancient Guru
 
Solfaur's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2xSLI MSI GTX680Lightning
Processor: i7 3770K| Corsair H100 pp
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
Memory: 2x4GB Kingston Black 2133
Soundcard: Realtek ALC898| Z-5500
PSU: Nexus RX-1.1K GOLD@1100W
Default 03-18-2013, 13:11 | posts: 4,487 | Location: Romania

Unless I'll be foreced to, by games absolutely requiring the new OS for example, I'll stick with my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit for a long time still. It's by far the best gaming OS Microsoft ever came out with, and with the maturity it has now and the failure Windows 8 was, my excitment level for 9 is next to zero.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
seaplane pilot
Maha Guru
 
seaplane pilot's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x XFX 290x/ 2x 7970L
Processor: 3930K/ FX4130
Mainboard: R4BE/ GA-990FXA-UD5
Memory: 16GB GT/ 16GB Crucial
Soundcard: SupremeFX/ Disabled
PSU: NEX1500/ AX1200i-/ AX1200
Default 03-18-2013, 13:14 | posts: 1,030 | Location: Nebulas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
Then what exactly is Microsoft supposed to do? Keep releasing desktop OS's until desktops are gone in 10 years then call it quits because they never got with the times?

Like I hate to break it to you people, but the time of the "PC" is gone. Yeah there will still be niche markets for it, gamers I guess will hold out a little longer. But in 10 years a cellphone will be far more powerful than a current generation PC is today and that's all the vast majority of users need. Where is the current generation of Windows in that future?

If Microsoft doesn't evolve, it dies. Windows 8 was an attempt at bridging that gap and it wasn't a bad one. Modern day computing has the power to virtualize backwards compatibility, so that isn't even a concern. Microsoft needs to drop all that stuff and move forward or they are going to get buried.
Maybe in ten years your computer will not be in a box anymore but a cell phone will not outclass a custom built hardware contraption. No matter what year or how many years into the future you go.

10 years is a good amount of time for technology to evolve but I do not see cell phones out classing personal computers. In ten years you cell phone will the size of a blue tooth and projects images onto your visor or glasses, maybe even your eye ball. Everything shrinks until it can not be shrunk any more.

What happens when you cant shrink silicon anymore? Do they move on to quantum computing? Holographic or light based CPUs?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 03-18-2013, 13:14 | posts: 6,888 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
Then what exactly is Microsoft supposed to do? Keep releasing desktop OS's until desktops are gone in 10 years then call it quits because they never got with the times?

Like I hate to break it to you people, but the time of the "PC" is gone. Yeah there will still be niche markets for it, gamers I guess will hold out a little longer. But in 10 years a cellphone will be far more powerful than a current generation PC is today and that's all the vast majority of users need. Where is the current generation of Windows in that future?

If Microsoft doesn't evolve, it dies. Windows 8 was an attempt at bridging that gap and it wasn't a bad one. Modern day computing has the power to virtualize backwards compatibility, so that isn't even a concern. Microsoft needs to drop all that stuff and move forward or they are going to get buried.
Duh.. Make a real mobile OS and not a version of windows with a Halloween mask on and also ruin it for the people who use the OS on traditional form factors. Using the windows name on mobile was a mistake. The name is recognised universally but has a laughable reputation.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 03-18-2013, 13:42 | posts: 7,181 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaplane pilot View Post
Maybe in ten years your computer will not be in a box anymore but a cell phone will not outclass a custom built hardware contraption. No matter what year or how many years into the future you go.

10 years is a good amount of time for technology to evolve but I do not see cell phones out classing personal computers. In ten years you cell phone will the size of a blue tooth and projects images onto your visor or glasses, maybe even your eye ball. Everything shrinks until it can not be shrunk any more.

What happens when you cant shrink silicon anymore? Do they move on to quantum computing? Holographic or light based CPUs?
The general market doesn't want that. Microsoft made all its money on the fact that the vast number of users out there, causal, business, etc, everyone wanted a PC in their house. They don't anymore. Computing power has reached the point where everything that your majority needs to do can be done. Yeah a much larger PC 10 years from now will obviously have better computing power than a cellphone, but so what? At most the number of enthusiast PC's make up a fraction of the computing market.

And silicon isn't going to hit a limit anytime soon. I went to school at RIT where they developed the current method of immersion lithography, before that they thought 22nm was the minimal limit. I have a friend who is doing his PhD at Penn State for micro electrical engineering, who thinks silicon is going to be around for a while. According to him current generation technology in transistor design already uses a lot of quantum technologies in it, like tunneling electrons as part of the design, although it's obviously still based on classic physics. Then you have graphene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
Duh.. Make a real mobile OS and not a version of windows with a Halloween mask on and also ruin it for the people who use the OS on traditional form factors. Using the windows name on mobile was a mistake. The name is recognised universally but has a laughable reputation.
They can't compete, it's too late. Look at Blackberry/Nokia. They already had a majority of the market and have trouble competing. Microsoft needed to leverage their huge userbase in desktop and drive it down to mobile. It's working so far so I don't see the problem.

Last edited by Denial; 03-18-2013 at 13:49.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
Loobyluggs
Maha Guru
 
Loobyluggs's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 670 FTW
Processor: Intel 3770k
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-v pro
Memory: DDR3 16GB Corsair
Soundcard: Creative Labs Recon 3D
PSU: Corsair
Default 03-18-2013, 13:48 | posts: 1,228 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaplane pilot View Post
What happens when you cant shrink silicon anymore? Do they move on to quantum computing? Holographic or light based CPUs?
They put it in the cloud and do parallel-processing, boom, your PC is no more and we all pay for everything via subscription.

You pay phone by the minute, you pay for steak by the Oz and you pay for computers by the CPU and GPU computation.

Welcome to the future, all you need is a Monitor, HiD(s), an ISP and a bank account.

You can't avoid it.

One day all games will be this way, along with all media services and transmissions.

Having to have an entire room dedicated to housing a computer? That's so ancient.

This, is what the bullies at school will be saying to your children.

Think about it.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
Andrés
Ancient Guru
 
Andrés's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
Processor: Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5E
Memory: 4x1Gb Kingston DDR2 667
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium
PSU: CM Silent Pro M700
Default 03-18-2013, 13:50 | posts: 4,522 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solfaur View Post
Unless I'll be foreced to, by games absolutely requiring the new OS for example, I'll stick with my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit for a long time still. It's by far the best gaming OS Microsoft ever came out with, and with the maturity it has now and the failure Windows 8 was, my excitment level for 9 is next to zero.
You know the saying, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". I'm also on Win7 x64 and have no interest in upgrading to 8, since everything runs fine already.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 03-18-2013, 14:02 | posts: 7,181 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrés View Post
You know the saying, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". I'm also on Win7 x64 and have no interest in upgrading to 8, since everything runs fine already.
Not upgrading is fine, but that saying is terrible and I'm on quest to get people to stop using it. I mean by that logic if a free and perfectly safe OS came out that used wormholes to speed up all computation power by a factor of a billion you wouldn't use it because everything runs fine on Windows 7. Which we know isn't true.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 03-18-2013, 14:04 | posts: 6,888 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post

They can't compete, it's too late. Look at Blackberry/Nokia. They already had a majority of the market and have trouble competing. Microsoft needed to leverage their huge userbase in desktop and drive it down to mobile. It's working so far so I don't see the problem.
Windows Phone and Windows RT have clicked (or swiped)? First I'm hearing of it. Let them force their users, it will only chase them away to better ecosystems.

Anyway this thread is about windows blue(screen) so bleh.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
schmidtbag
Master Guru
 
schmidtbag's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x ATI HD5750
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 03-18-2013, 14:33 | posts: 421 | Location: MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrés View Post
You know the saying, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". I'm also on Win7 x64 and have no interest in upgrading to 8, since everything runs fine already.
In the technology world, such a statement shouldn't be such loosely thrown around. This is why 32 bit Windows and DX9 lasted much longer than they should have. This is why Windows is probably the most technologically held back OS (but to be fair, they have a reputation of compatibility, with the exception of Vista). When it comes to paying for something new that works for your needs then ya, there might not be much of a reason to replace it. But this is exactly the problem with MS making a new version of Windows every year - you're going to have to pay for it. Android, iOS, and Linux are free to upgrade, and Mac is usually a surprisingly cheap and easy upgrade (often less than $50).


BTW, I'm not saying you should replace your 64 bit Win7 setup, because Windows 8 is barely an improvement on a technical standpoint; the major difference is Metro so if you don't prefer it then why pay for it. But if you were using 32 bit XP then I'd say it's time to move on.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
IPlayNaked
Banned
 
Videocard: XFire 7950 1200/1850
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 5 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 03-18-2013, 14:51 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
Windows Phone and Windows RT have clicked (or swiped)? First I'm hearing of it. Let them force their users, it will only chase them away to better ecosystems.

Anyway this thread is about windows blue(screen) so bleh.
WINDOWS BLUESCREEN HAHAHAHA SO FUNNY SO CLEVER.

Come on. Really. You know what bluescreens are, and you know they're almost always caused by viruses or defective hardware. Don't be that guy. Windows isn't some ****ty OS that just blue screens randomly everwhere.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
schmidtbag
Master Guru
 
schmidtbag's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x ATI HD5750
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 03-18-2013, 14:57 | posts: 421 | Location: MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayNaked View Post
WINDOWS BLUESCREEN HAHAHAHA SO FUNNY SO CLEVER.

Come on. Really. You know what bluescreens are, and you know they're almost always caused by viruses or defective hardware. Don't be that guy. Windows isn't some ****ty OS that just blue screens randomly everwhere.
I personally hate Windows but I'd have to agree - Windows 7 isn't an unstable mess anymore. However, viruses are a problem that is mostly Windows' fault, and on that note I strongly disagree with those who say Windows is so virus-prone due to popularity. That's a factor, but not enough of one. Windows 7 is good proof of that considering it is incomparably safer than XP (even with UAC off), and it is very popular. Also, tablets/smartphones aren't very virus prone either, and most of those who do get infected tend to use outdated OSes or rooted OSes.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 03-18-2013, 15:00 | posts: 6,888 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayNaked View Post
WINDOWS BLUESCREEN HAHAHAHA SO FUNNY SO CLEVER.

Come on. Really. You know what bluescreens are, and you know they're almost always caused by viruses or defective hardware. Don't be that guy. Windows isn't some ****ty OS that just blue screens randomly everwhere.
Lol .. I know. It was tongue in cheek.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
nick0323
Master Guru
 
nick0323's Avatar
 
Videocard: Palit GTX970 Jetstream OC
Processor: i5 2500k / 4.5GHz @1.275v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68 V-Pro Gen 3
Memory: Corsair Ven 2x4GB 1866MHz
Soundcard: Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 03-18-2013, 16:22 | posts: 564 | Location: Old England

[QUOTE=IPlayNaked;4556697]WINDOWS BLUESCREEN HAHAHAHA SO FUNNY SO CLEVER.QUOTE]

I just had to lol.

I'm actually looking forward to these yearly updates etc. I've already got a Windows Phone 8 and I've had a few improvements to that already but not any major improvements which I'm expecting with Windows Blue. I'm looking to get a Surface tablet next to replace my Android as the novelty has worn off and I no longer care about my paid apps of which there aren't many as I got rid of my Android phone over a year ago. Finally I'm looking to get a copy of Windows 8 (Blue) when that's released for my next PC build and a touch screen TV on my chimney breast for when I'm entertaining guests (yes I'm aware that rhymed).
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
makaveli316
Member Guru
 
Videocard: Gigabyte GTX670 Windforce
Processor: i5 3570K @ 4.2
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-I DELUXE
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb LP
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Pro
PSU: Corsair 650HX
Default 03-18-2013, 16:53 | posts: 140 | Location: Freiburg, Germany

For 19.99 bucks, i'm cool with it.
No way i would pay more (even 20.00$) than that (19.99) for an OS coming every year or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
I personally hate Windows but I'd have to agree - Windows 7 isn't an unstable mess anymore. However, viruses are a problem that is mostly Windows' fault, and on that note I strongly disagree with those who say Windows is so virus-prone due to popularity.
Seriously i can't remember the last virus i had on my system and i'm a windows user since ages.
This whole "windows catches so much viruses" is a total bull...
It's all about the person in front of the monitor...

Last edited by makaveli316; 03-18-2013 at 16:57.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
StewieTech
Chuck Norris
 
StewieTech's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI HD7770 [1100/1300]
Processor: i5 4670k [4.4]
Mainboard: AsRock z87 Extreme3
Memory: Kingston 8GB [1600]
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DG
PSU: OCZ ZT 550W
Default 03-18-2013, 17:13 | posts: 1,332 | Location: Portugal

^I agree, the best antivirus is "Don´t be an idiot 2013".
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.