Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

Fitting in vs standing out
Old
  (#1)
proFits
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 680
Processor: Intel i7 950
Mainboard: ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM
Memory: Corsair 2x8GB 1600MHZ
Soundcard: Turtle Beach Headphones
PSU: Thermaltake 850W modular
Default Fitting in vs standing out - 03-15-2013, 14:50 | posts: 5,857 | Location: Montreal

Hello everybody!

Been a while since I posted in the pub. Nways
I've got this question to ask, since this place is full of all types of people.

Are you the type of person that likes to ''fit in'' as in you like to disapear in a crowd of people and be cog in the gear?

Or would you rather be the ''stand out'' type. Flashy personality, altertive lifestyle and such?

Most of all I'm interested in knowing your opinion on both (I could read a sociological book on the matter, but I love my gurus)

Old
  (#2)
StewieTech
Chuck Norris

Videocard: MSI HD7770 [1100/1300]
Processor: i5 4670k [4.4]
Mainboard: AsRock z87 Extreme3
Memory: Kingston 8GB [1600]
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DG
PSU: OCZ ZT 550W
Default 03-15-2013, 14:52 | posts: 1,332 | Location: Portugal

My opinion is be yourself and **** the rest. As for me, it usually results in "stand out", whatever you mean by that.

Old
  (#3)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 03-15-2013, 15:06 | posts: 10,984 | Location: Finland

I am what I am and I am not trying to be something I'm not. That usually means that I disappear in the crowd.

Old
  (#4)
Palerider
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HIS X1950XTX
Processor: Intel E-6600 2.4Ghz@3.4GH
Mainboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Memory: 3x1Gb XMS c6400 DDR2/800
Soundcard: X-FI-XM/Creative Inspire
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower700
Default 03-15-2013, 15:06 | posts: 4,388 | Location: Toledo Ohio

There's a time and a place for both. Don't do it for how it benefits you though, do it for the betterment of your surroundings. It don't do anyone any good to be "that guy" in school, work, military service, etc. On the other hand, maybe your friends need you to be that guy.

Basically, to conform just for the sake of conformity is weakness.
Standing out just for the sake of being the odd ball is a bit childish.

Old
  (#5)
proFits
Ancient Guru

Default 03-15-2013, 15:12 | posts: 5,857 | Location: Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
There's a time and a place for both. Don't do it for how it benefits you though, do it for the betterment of your surroundings. It don't do anyone any good to be "that guy" in school, work, military service, etc. On the other hand, maybe your friends need you to be that guy.

Basically, to conform just for the sake of conformity is weakness.
Standing out just for the sake of being the odd ball is a bit childish.
I like how you put it. But what do you mean by ''that guy'' exactly. Someone that is disturbing/offending or just wants too hard to be the center of attention?

Old
  (#6)
Palerider
Ancient Guru

Default 03-15-2013, 15:20 | posts: 4,388 | Location: Toledo Ohio

It's been my experience that they're one in the same. The class clown who distracts others for attention (laughs)- In the Army there were lots of guys who just didn't want to follow the structure because the rules didn't make sense to them or they thought their way was better, at work, let's face it, we have to be a machine. You do what the company wants, you do what's best for the company, and that's that. I was as rebellious as anyone, but I came to learn you need to fit in sometimes.

Old
  (#7)
Decane
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB
Processor: Intel C2Q Q6600 @ 3GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R F10
Memory: Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2
Soundcard: ALC889A | DT880 600***937
PSU: Corsair TX650W
Default 03-15-2013, 15:21 | posts: 5,060 | Location: England (/Finland)

Whichever one chooses, one does so to gratify one's vanity; both phenomena stem from exactly the same source. And the vainest of them all is the one who denies that he is vain.

Old
  (#8)
Palerider
Ancient Guru

Default 03-15-2013, 15:30 | posts: 4,388 | Location: Toledo Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decane View Post
Whichever one chooses, one does so to gratify one's vanity; both phenomena stem from exactly the same source. And the vainest of them all is the one who denies that he is vain.
I see the wisdom poking through, but please explain how "Getting lost in the crowd" gratifies ones ego?

Old
  (#9)
scipio
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780ti
Processor: 4770k 4.4
Mainboard: asus z87 deluxe
Memory: gskill 16 gb
Soundcard: xi-fi gamer
PSU: BFG es-800
Default 03-15-2013, 15:53 | posts: 4,154 | Location: NorCal

If you fit it in you have to get it out and then you put it in again.

Old
  (#10)
eclap
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming 970 1450/7800
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1. AD700. DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 03-15-2013, 16:05 | posts: 26,663 | Location: Hampshire, UK

hate attention seeking and being center of attention. I am myself and people like me for just that. and some don't, maybe. their loss :p

Old
  (#11)
Darkest
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD7950
Processor: i5 3570k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77 D3H
Memory: G-Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1 + HD650/DT990 Pro
PSU: OCZ ZS 550w
Default 03-15-2013, 16:09 | posts: 7,803

Quote:
I see the wisdom poking through, but please explain how "Getting lost in the crowd" gratifies ones ego?
Some people like to be part of the whole, and actively look down upon people who are not. There is some self gratification to be found in conformity, you could also call it popularity or keeping up with trends.

Personally speaking I tend to just be myself, although who I am can differ depending on the situation I'm in and who I'm speaking too. I'm extremely anti-authority, but find that presenting myself as such everywhere I go will do little but get peoples backs up. Sometimes it's best to grit your teeth and get on with something. For example, a cousin of mine ended up in hospital a few years ago - myself and a number of his family turned up for support. One of his family members assumed that because I had long hair and a beard I was hardcore into metal and rock but nothing else. This of course was an opening for him to start trashing every other music type, paticularly rap (Which I'm actually a big fan of, at least the older stuff). At the time it was best to just let him ramble on, it simply wouldn't have been appropriate for me to make an issue of it.

Last edited by Darkest; 03-15-2013 at 16:14.

Old
  (#12)
The Chubu
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
Processor: i5 2500K stock
Mainboard: Asus P8P67-M Pro
Memory: 16Gb Patriot G2 1333Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard Realtek
PSU: Satellite SL-8600EPS 600w
Default 03-15-2013, 16:09 | posts: 2,541 | Location: Look out!

Actually, the better you fit in a group, the better you stand out among them.

Old
  (#13)
proFits
Ancient Guru

Default 03-15-2013, 16:29 | posts: 5,857 | Location: Montreal

Quote:
Vanity seems to be the wrong word.

But regardless a lot of you guys seem to be following the ''whatever floats your boat'' kind of mentality. That's all fun, but as a society it doesn't seem to be so well represented, the population as a whole seems so polarized.

A lot of people want the system to be rigid and infallible/foolproof. A system that is grey and bureaucratic (Equilibrium/slow moving monsters in Hitchhiker's Guide type deal). These Office-type people if you will, have had to ''fit in'' to the office environment, in which they are led and guide toward a path chosen, most of the time, against their will for the greater good of the company. For example: having to choose between productivity (quantity) and conformity to process (quality).

On the other hand, you have the artistic/cultural side to live. That makes ''fitting in'' disgusting or out of touch with our inner child. So there are the utopists (hippies if you will), dreaming of a machine-free Eden. Obviously to office type people, that know the effort you have to make to achieve success, it looks frivolous and stupid.

And thus a balance is needed, right? So my question is, how do we deal with people that are doing too much on one side or the other. Living in downtown Montreal I have to live with constant student riots for the last year. Most of their demands seem unreasonable and unfeasible. On the other side, you have the rich man, which is asking for concessions from the poor while he makes the salary equal to a large portion of his employee's.

Could we improve the world by reducing these ''extremists'' and being more balanced, more ... middle-class oriented I guess.

Old
  (#14)
RedSeptember
Master Guru

Videocard: Asus GTX 690 4gb
Processor: Intel i7 3930k 4700ghz HT
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage IV extreme
Memory: Dominator Plat 64gb 2133
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Gigabyte Odin 1200w
Default 03-15-2013, 16:30 | posts: 472 | Location: Dubai

Stand out. Why be a sheep when you can be the Sheppard?

Old
  (#15)
Decane
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB
Processor: Intel C2Q Q6600 @ 3GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R F10
Memory: Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2
Soundcard: ALC889A | DT880 600***937
PSU: Corsair TX650W
Default 03-15-2013, 16:34 | posts: 5,060 | Location: England (/Finland)

Quote:
"Getting lost in the crowd"
I made a statement about what motivates people to fit in (gratifying one's vanity), and you are asking me to defend the position that one of the many possible consequences of fitting in, of which you have arbitrarily chosen one ("getting lost in the crowd"), legitimizes the motivation (gratifies one's vanity). From my vantage point, that looks dangerously like a straw-man; though I admit the possibility that I have misjudged, in which case I am awfully sorry - I assure you I did not intend it.

To clarify: people are motivated to "fit in" by the anticipated acceptance and/or admiration of some social group whose acceptance and/or admiration they covet. Vanity is involved just to the extent that this acceptance and/or admiration is coveted.

Old
  (#16)
Brasky
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780 SC
Processor: i5-3570K
Mainboard: AsRock Z77e-ITX
Memory: G-Skill Sniper 2133 16gb
Soundcard: Littering and...?
PSU: Silverstone 450
Default 03-15-2013, 17:20 | posts: 1,747 | Location: BBQ Capital of the World

small settings/groups i prefer to stand out. but on a larger scale i prefer to fit in.

Old
  (#17)
Elder III
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI R9 290 4GB 5760x1080
Processor: Intel i7 3770K @ 4.2 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD45
Memory: 12 GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek
PSU: Corsair CX-600
Default 03-15-2013, 17:35 | posts: 2,407 | Location: Ohio

I strive to do what I believe to be right in all settings. While I do care about other people (ie - compassion), I do not care about whether or not I fit in to their ideas about what is popular or "normal". I don't live my life to please other people, or to please myself - rather my Creator.

tldr - I live my own way and don't care whether I fit in or stand out.

Old
  (#18)
Dillinger
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 980 / RoG Swift
Processor: 4790K / NH-D15
Mainboard: Asus Z97-Pro
Memory: Trident X 8GB 2400MHz
Soundcard:
PSU: NZXT 850W
Default 03-15-2013, 17:55 | posts: 542

I couldn't care less, there's never been a moment where I felt the need to bandwagon or act flashy.

Seeing everyone's incessant need to act a certain way to appease others is pretty much laughable to me...

Old
  (#19)
NomadAssassin
Master Guru

Videocard: NVIDIA
Processor: Intel
Mainboard:
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair
Default 03-15-2013, 18:00 | posts: 208 | Location: Republic of Bulgaria

I like to blend in crowds.
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Old
  (#20)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HIS HD 6870
Processor: I3-2120
Mainboard: ASRock H61icafe
Memory: 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1333
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: PC Power&Cooling S61EPS
Default 03-15-2013, 18:04 | posts: 2,881 | Location: Evans Ga,USA

Stand Out...That's how I Roll...

Old
  (#21)
proFits
Ancient Guru

Default 03-15-2013, 18:06 | posts: 5,857 | Location: Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I could care less, there's never been a moment where I felt the need to bandwagon or act flashy.

Seeing everyone's incessant need to act a certain way to appease others is pretty much laughable to me...
You have to understand that some people, such as myself, are timid. Some, most of the times, just want to be left alone and ignored. Camouflaged from mockery or persecution.

For example, asians using americanized names so people stop butchering their names. They just want to ''fit in'' to our xenophobic ways.

I am xenophobic myself. Not racist; I am naturally scared of people I don't know (regardless of race). To some extent, it is part of human nature to reject either change or intruders/strangers.

Either way, my point is that, being timid, I prefer getting around not talking to anyone, except colleagues, during a full workday, apart from casual greetings. So my need to ''fit in'' comes from a psychological trouble (which then relates to a biological imbalance).

Old
  (#22)
GreenSmoke
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI 660 OC FrzIII
Processor: X4 955BE@3.9
Mainboard: MSI 870-G45
Memory: G.Skill-12GB-10666
Soundcard: STRDH520/SKS-HT540
PSU: Corsair 850
Default 03-16-2013, 00:13 | posts: 181 | Location: Buttcrack of the world

I don't go out of my way to make myself stand out, but I also definitely do not purposely hide my presence by blending into the masses. Mostly for me it depends on the situations I enter upon knowingly or unknowingly

However I am always starting off as just an "observer(lurker as some call it)" until I further decide if my efforts in dealing with mass crowds filled with idiocy will reap any benefits for me (or if at the time I have a lady with me then 'us') and benefits being w/e I happened to decide they are at the time.

Old
  (#23)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7970 CF @ Stock
Processor: 980X @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1866 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 03-16-2013, 00:49 | posts: 4,900 | Location: London

Blatent metalhead, not hard to miss, really, especially in winter with my epic trenchcoat. On a personal level, I'm not loud or a particular centre of attention so if I'm sat in the corner of the pub I'm quite easy to walk past. I'm at the point now where I just don't give a crap what other people think of my style etc., so standing out isn't really an issue.

Old
  (#24)
FULMTL
Ancient Guru

Videocard: AOC 27"
Processor: Intel N2830 laptop :(
Mainboard: New build later
Memory: DEAD
Soundcard: ShureSRH940+ JDS Labs C5D
PSU: DEAD
Default 03-16-2013, 01:45 | posts: 6,718 | Location: Portland, Oregon

If we are talking about appearence, I like to disappear into the crowd because I don't wear clothes with brands/logos largely visible on them. I have the stereotype of the person that looks normal and calm until I'm in an environment where I am comfortable.

Last edited by FULMTL; 03-16-2013 at 01:49.

Old
  (#25)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Go!
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 03-16-2013, 02:20 | posts: 16,594 | Location: US East Coast

I'm me.... I don't put forth any effort to fit in, nor to stand out. I'm just me. I have my own thoughts, opinions and feelings.

Personally, I think those that go out of their way to fit in, are pathetic....and those that go out of their way to stand out, are attention starved. I don't care for being around people that are scared to simply be themselves.