Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything Catalyst related. AMD Catalyst drivers are for all AMD ATI based graphics cards. This is also the place to discuss modified Catalyst drivers.

[FIXED] Closing the lid on Windows 8 crashes the system with a BSOD
Old
  (#1)
tobindax

Videocard: AMD HD 5700M
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Laptop PSU
Default [FIXED] Closing the lid on Windows 8 crashes the system with a BSOD - 03-10-2013, 16:22 | posts: 9

It's also similar if one tries to disable/uninstall the AMD driver in the Device Manager (an old driver version with allow it, returning the system to a basic driver) or probably also if one disables/uninstalls the monitor driver (an old driver would also allow it).

The dump appears to point to the generic Monitor.sys but I doubt it's that. It's deployed on every windows computer on the planet verbatim.

To not say too many details this question on another forum also has the same problem:

http://superuser.com/questions/52531...-close-the-lid

(not by me but the problem is same)

Any help would be appreciated. Even hints. Thank you.

edit:

Driver: Latest stable. Similar on latest Beta. It is stable on ancient and 'Windows Update' drivers that I don't want to use.

AMD: HD 5700M

Windows: 8 64

Machine: A Laptop with an Intel mobo and a Core 2 Sandy Bridge.

edit: Important: The lid is supposed to do nothing on power options. The mere closing of it without being instructed to do something in Windows crashes it.

Last edited by tobindax; 04-26-2013 at 07:44.

Old
  (#2)
jaggu1989

Videocard: AMD Radeon HD5650
Processor: Intel Core i5 M560
Mainboard: Sony VPCEA36FG
Memory: DDRIII
Soundcard:
PSU: Laptop
Default 03-11-2013, 02:58 | posts: 33 | Location: PUNJAB

same problem was with me tooo when i installed 12.11 beta and above .... i solved this problem when i m back on 12.10 whql

Old
  (#3)
tobindax

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 03-11-2013, 17:55 | posts: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggu1989 View Post
same problem was with me tooo when i installed 12.11 beta and above .... i solved this problem when i m back on 12.10 whql
Hrm, I did notice it disappearing on ancient drivers - e.g. the one from Windows Update. But I'd really like to avoid that.

Old
  (#4)
kn00tcn
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 4870x2
Processor: Intel Q9550 3.6ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5Q-E
Memory: OCZ 2x2gb 5-4-4-15 840mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 750TX
Default 03-18-2013, 05:56 | posts: 1,555 | Location: Toronto

isnt it user preference as to what happens when the lid is closed?

meaning, is it BSOD when the monitor is shut off or when windows is trying to go to sleep? depending on the setting

Old
  (#5)
tobindax

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 03-18-2013, 19:27 | posts: 9

As I said the lid is supposed to do absolutely nothing in setting. The setting is "what to do? nothing". But it seems still a lower level hardware operation at the moment crashes the system. It does not occur when on ancient/windows-update drivers. It may be also related to the fact if one tries to disable the driver or uninstall it may also crash (an older driver allows it, it just reverts to a basic graphics driver (may also occur if one tries to alter the monitor driver (the crash file points to monitor.sys after all)).

edit: but yeah it may try to turn off the monitor via a hardware function (or a software of the OS, I dunno) and then it crashes. The control power options certainly have it on 'do nothing'. Unless there is an obscure different setting I don't know about.

Last edited by tobindax; 03-18-2013 at 19:29.

Old
  (#6)
jaggu1989

Videocard: AMD Radeon HD5650
Processor: Intel Core i5 M560
Mainboard: Sony VPCEA36FG
Memory: DDRIII
Soundcard:
PSU: Laptop
Default 03-19-2013, 04:52 | posts: 33 | Location: PUNJAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
Hrm, I did notice it disappearing on ancient drivers - e.g. the one from Windows Update. But I'd really like to avoid that.

currently on 13.1 whql ... no problem ... while closing lid ... no BSOD. trying installing .. do a clean install

Old
  (#7)
tobindax

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 03-19-2013, 18:54 | posts: 9

I did do a clean install. I even removed stuff manually after a reload etc and registry cleans inbetween etc.

Though I can never know if I left an obcure setting inside. Though I doubt it. The highest probablity appears to be a software/hardware bug with the driver version.

Old
  (#8)
tobindax

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 03-25-2013, 19:57 | posts: 9

By the way, this is exactly the same on latest beta 13.3 beta 3. e.g. uninstalling the monitor or display devices without being on safe mode/vga mode, it blue screens. I didn't test it, but 99% it also does the 'lid' thing. (since those three things go together)

PS. It also doesn't allow updating/downgrading (safely without blue screens) without first going to safe mode with vga video, uninstalling the display driver from the device manager+'remove driver' box, and then going to normal mode installing any driver.

Old
  (#9)
tobindax

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 03-26-2013, 10:31 | posts: 9

I've looked in the crash dmp file with windbg but it seems to mainly report 'Monitor.sys' (which is a vanilla and basic driver everyone runs, I doubt it's that) and that "System" is what called it.

Though if anyone has more experience and knowledge about the debugging side of things with those files, let me know.

edit: It is conceivable that it's the 'video' or 'video/screen coloring' features (and hence ..Monitor) they seem to stuff Catalyst with lately though even if it's that (it may be completely unrelated) I don't know if it can be even turned off, it might be passive.

Last edited by tobindax; 03-26-2013 at 10:34.

Old
  (#10)
tobindax

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 04-26-2013, 07:44 | posts: 9

This has been fixed in the latest (mobility 13.4) stable driver. It appears that they have actively tried to tackle this problem (after reading specific reports about it probably) since the issue appeared to manifest itself in the slightest event of trying to manipulate the related lid mechanism or monitor/display drivers, even when trying to normally upgrade or downgrade the driver. Now, it can even upgrade the driver without a crash leading me to believe they probably actively tackled it with the installation process before and after installation of the new version.

PS. There is a small probability that it coincided with a related Windows update but I doubt it.

Last edited by tobindax; 04-26-2013 at 07:47.