Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Sim City 2013 Launch is one big Sim Failure
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Sim City 2013 Launch is one big Sim Failure - 03-07-2013, 11:28 | posts: 21,103 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Last night EA and Maxis launched Sim City 2013 for certain regions, anxious as I am I pre-ordered this game myself back in February. To date I have not received a key (even though EA was very keen to...

Sim City 2013 Launch is one big Sim Failure

Old
  (#2)
Speed Weed
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 260+
Processor: Core i5 2500K @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Pro ( 3.1)
Memory: 8Gb Corsair @ 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Tuffpower 850
Default 03-07-2013, 11:35 | posts: 1,028 | Location: Somewhere in Scotland

Not surprised.

Old
  (#3)
NAMEk
Master Guru

Videocard: Gainward/GTX560/2GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
Mainboard: Asus P5Q
Memory: TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX
Soundcard: Realtec ALC1200
PSU: Corsair HX520
Default 03-07-2013, 11:43 | posts: 366 | Location: Lithuania

Why pre-order the game? I've never pre-ordered the game and probably never will. When you people learn...

Old
  (#4)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default 03-07-2013, 11:49 | posts: 21,103 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMEk View Post
Why pre-order the game? I've never pre-ordered the game and probably never will. When you people learn...
Several reasons, often its cheaper and more importantly (normally) you can preload the game. So you are good to go once the game goes live.

Especially with a website known for VGA performance reviews that you see within days after the launch, preloading is handy and a time saver.

Follow Guru3D on twitter.
Follow Guru3D on facebook.

Old
  (#5)
proFits
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 680
Processor: Intel i7 950
Mainboard: ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM
Memory: Corsair 2x8GB 1600MHZ
Soundcard: Turtle Beach Headphones
PSU: Thermaltake 850W modular
Default 03-07-2013, 13:06 | posts: 5,857 | Location: Montreal

Quote:
Starcraft 2 Heart of the swarm gives you access to their beta if you preorder...

On topic: EA already killed the series for me, that and C&C/RA

Old
  (#6)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 03-07-2013, 13:09 | posts: 7,125 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by proFits View Post
Starcraft 2 Heart of the swarm gives you access to their beta if you preorder...

On topic: EA already killed the series for me, that and C&C/RA
EA always kills everything, and they wonder why their stock is dropping. Perhaps it's because of **** like this. My buddy bought Simcity and has been trying to get me to buy it -- I'll pick it up eventually but it's amusing because all last night he wasn't unable to play it for more than a couple minutes between server outages.

Blizzard on the other hand is actually able to handle the load for the most part.

Old
  (#7)
allesclar
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Asus 1950XTX
Processor: Intel Quad Q6600
Mainboard: Asus P5N32-E SLI 680i
Memory: Corsair 8GB PC2-6400 XMS2
Soundcard: SB Audigy 2
PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W
Default 03-07-2013, 13:14 | posts: 5,102 | Location: England

Rubbish like this is actually fueling piracy. Why pay for a game, unable to play it on the day of release, have to have a constant connection so you are screwed if you are in an area without internet or travelling when you can:

1) Download it a few days after launch
2) Comes DRM free
3) Can play it anywhere without a constant connection
4) Its free

I gave up after the Empire total war where it took me over a day to download.

I have not bought a PC game since, OTHER than games that are on offer at silly prices on steam sales.

Sorry EA, you screwed up, you screwed your profits and possibly the gaming industry NOT piracy.

/rant

Old
  (#8)
CronoGraal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD6870 1GB
Processor: Intel Q9450 @ 3.4ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X48-DQ6
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair 750W TX
Default 03-07-2013, 13:22 | posts: 3,809 | Location: Sweden

shame on anyone who bought this

Old
  (#9)
War child
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780 SLI
Processor: Intel 3570k @ 4.5ghz
Mainboard: Sabertooth Z77
Memory: GSkill Ripjaw 8Gb 2133mhz
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Seasonic 850W
Default 03-07-2013, 13:27 | posts: 240 | Location: Oslo

Putting aside the complaining about DRM and the whole piracy vs legit copy.

I was ridiculously enthusiastic about this game. However in the run up to the game e.g beta testers and so on, I began hearing nothing but negativity towards the gameplay itself.

From an honest point of view (unbiased towards EA) is the game actually any good?

I see official reviews giving good ratings but the majority or user reviews slating the game. My grievance is that many of these reviews are slating it just because of their hatred towards EA.

Old
  (#10)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX770 4GB FTW
Processor: i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: EVGA 750G2
Default 03-07-2013, 13:45 | posts: 4,778 | Location: Washington DC

I actually really enjoy the game and have had no major problems with it at all. I started the download before I went to work on Tuesday and by the time I got home it was ready for me to play. Got right into a server with no issues.
I've been having quite a good time teaming up with a few friends in my region

Old
  (#11)
h0d
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI R7970 Cfx - EKwb En
Processor: 3930k - EK HF-Supreme
Mainboard: Rog Rampage Extreme IV
Memory: DDR3-2133 16g
Soundcard: HT | Omega - eClaro 7.1
PSU: Silverstone 1200W
Default 03-07-2013, 13:45 | posts: 188 | Location: Québec

It explains why I can't play yet -.-' Why I'm not even surprised.

Old
  (#12)
antonyfrn
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX 4Gb
Processor: AMD FX 8350 + H100i
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooh 990FX R2.0
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X & Z-5500
PSU: Corsair RM 850
Default 03-07-2013, 14:47 | posts: 952 | Location: London

@Hilbert not sure if this is totally true I just got in a email with the below message could it be delaying tactics cos of the issues

Quote:
Dear Customer

Please find below an urgent message regarding your ‘SimCity Limited Edition’ CD Key.

It has been brought to our attention by our supplier and an EA Origin Official that there is a language issue bug when pre loading SimCity Limited Edition onto your Origin platform. When activating the key within EA Origin you will be notified that the game is only available in certain languages. We have been assured that this is in fact a bug and that the game will be available in whatever language you have your EA Origin set to (we will be testing in English only). An EA Origin Official has notified us that a fix will be released tomorrow (08th March 2013) to rectify this issue.

Due to this issue many suppliers (including ours) are holding their stock back and will not be releasing it until it has been confirmed that the game does in fact include the required language (English). We are expecting to receive our stock between 01:00-03:00 GMT on Friday 08th March 2013 at which point it will be emailed our directly to you.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and please do not hesitate to get In touch should you have any further questions.

Kindest Regards

SimplyGames Customer Service

Old
  (#13)
Alexraptor
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 660Ti, 2048MB
Processor: Core i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth z77
Memory: Vengeance, 2x4Gb 1866mhz
Soundcard: Creative X-FI Titanium
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Default 03-07-2013, 16:19 | posts: 1,248 | Location: Sweden

Yeah sad thing is I hear that Sim City 2013 has already been cracked.

Old
  (#14)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 03-07-2013, 17:01 | posts: 7,125 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Yeah sad thing is I hear that Sim City 2013 has already been cracked.
I doubt that. A very large portion of the game is streamed from EA's servers, which also do cloud based calculations and send them back to the client. It's going to be a while before someone reverse engineers the server. Plus I checked all the sites and places I know and I haven't seen it.

Old
  (#15)
loop29
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
Processor: Core i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP-8Gb
Soundcard: Audigy 4/Teufel Concept
PSU: Platimax 750 Watts
Default 03-07-2013, 17:32 | posts: 705 | Location: Nürnberg, Germany

And now ask yourself why in the world would someone vote EA for the worst company of 2012...
Yeah remind me again pls, because they do not care about their customers which infact is the very definition of a bad company...

Now if you still going to purchase gaming titles from EA... go on, you know
what to expect.

Old
  (#16)
Chillin
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 560 930/2300
Processor: i5-2500K@4.4GHz 1.2v H60
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: G.Skill 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer+Z506 5.1
PSU: Corsair TX 750w v2
Default 03-07-2013, 17:50 | posts: 6,432 | Location: Chilling

Quote:
I've only done it once, ArmA3.

Bohemia is a responsible studio and now they have a great publishing system (Steam) behind them, I have no doubt that ArmA 3 will turn out as expected.

Old
  (#17)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 03-07-2013, 19:56 | posts: 3,413 | Location: USA

Another great seriest dragged threw the mud by EA, nothing new here. I love Simcity but I wont be picking this up any time soon, I also the opinion of preorders are point. have not do this in 10+ years.

Old
  (#18)
Sash
Ancient Guru

Videocard: video
Processor: cpu
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: psu
Default 03-07-2013, 20:09 | posts: 7,004

Well since i was banished from the simcity thread, because now in guru3d you must play a game in order for you to actually comment on a thread, and be heard, i can freely post here my furstrations, since it is relevant to my rant in the simcity thread from the "games that you played and only then you can comment them" section:

People blindly bought the game, knowing this is EA, and it will destroy another game and just run off with their money. They are ignorant, ok, they payed for it, got mad for not being able to run it, then cried to Maxis and EA. And they are like, yeah no problems here, oh we will just make some maintenance work.

Wanna know a dirty secret? SimCity is coded as a SINGLE CORE game, so that it will run on one core, this is an EXCUSE so that people like OCEAN QUIGLEY and LUCY BRADSHAW can justify the always on DRM and the "need of raw processing power from EA's servers"
GLASSBOX WORKS FINE WITHOUT ONLINE DRM, THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE GAME IS CODED AS SINGLE CORE!
That is a justification of the SMALL CITY TITLES as well! If it was made so that the simulation would spam on all the CPU's cores... boom, bigger city size, probably more ram and a better videocard but guess what? you have detail settings!!

People pay 60$ for a money milking game that they dared call it SimCity! this is nothing like SimCity! it is a money milking game made by EA with a fancy simulator called Glassbox so it keeps people who play farmville and citiville on facebook intrested and amazed and makes them buy it! This game's target-group are facebook kids!

Last edited by Sash; 03-07-2013 at 20:43.

Old
  (#19)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Default 03-07-2013, 20:22 | posts: 4,778 | Location: Washington DC

Nobody banished you from the other thread. You were acting like a fool like you are now

And your links give absolutely no proof whatsoever that the game was coded to only take advantage of a single core because of their DRM strategy. That is complete BS.

How does this
Quote:
Glassbox runs entirely on the CPU (sadly, single-threaded at the moment).
Equal this
Quote:
SimCity is coded as a SINGLE CORE game, so that it will run on one core, this is an EXCUSE so that people like OCEAN QUIGLEY and LUCY BRADSHAW can justify the always on DRM and the "need of raw processing power from EA's servers"
There are plenty of games that run perfectly fine on a single core

Old
  (#20)
Sash
Ancient Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 03-07-2013, 20:31 | posts: 7,004

really? you cannot see how maxis compromised performance by running the game on single core? a perfect reason to fool people to think the game needs an always on drm to perform

IT DOES NOT NEED ONLINE DRM! IT CAN RUN OFFLINE IF IT WAS MADE MULTICORE!
if it was multicore, the city tile size would have been bigger as well!

if you fill a QUARTER of a map in CitiesXL, the game starts to lag... why? because that is also a single core game! to put in perspective, a quarter of a map there is a bit BIGGER than the city size in simcity

Last edited by Sash; 03-07-2013 at 20:34.

Old
  (#21)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 03-07-2013, 20:33 | posts: 3,402 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sash View Post
really? you cannot see how maxis compromised performance by running the game on single core? a perfect reason to fool people to think the game needs an always on drm to perform

IT DOES NOT NEED ONLINE DRM! IT CAN RUN OFFLINE IF IT WAS MADE MULTICORE!
Why would making the game run on a single core, fool people to think it needs DRM? I don't understand.

Old
  (#22)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Default 03-07-2013, 20:36 | posts: 4,778 | Location: Washington DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
Why would making the game run on a single core, fool people to think it needs DRM? I don't understand.
I'm not sure he understands his argument either.

Old
  (#23)
Sash
Ancient Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 03-07-2013, 20:39 | posts: 7,004

if you see lucy bradshaw's blog post that i changed instead of her interview you see why:

GlassBox is the engine that drives the entire game -- the buildings, the economics, trading, and also the overall simulation that can track data for up to 100,000 individual Sims inside each city. There is a massive amount of computing that goes into all of this, and GlassBox works by attributing portions of the computing to EA servers (the cloud) and some on the player's local computer.

SOURCE

Now please blame me for being a fool again. There are only 2 of you who don't get it, the rest of metacritic's 1000+ negative reviewers and amazon's 1000+ one star voters who decided to ask refunds and made AMAZON stop selling SimCity seemed to get it. Im not gonna argue with two people anymore, there are thousands of people who get it!

Last edited by Sash; 03-07-2013 at 20:44.

Old
  (#24)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 03-07-2013, 20:45 | posts: 3,402 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sash View Post
if you see lucy bradshaw's interview you would probably read why:

GlassBox is the engine that drives the entire game -- the buildings, the economics, trading, and also the overall simulation that can track data for up to 100,000 individual Sims inside each city. There is a massive amount of computing that goes into all of this, and GlassBox works by attributing portions of the computing to EA servers (the cloud) and some on the player's local computer.

SOURCE

Now please blame me for being a fool again.
The target audience is very different to most other games. So it would make sense to get the game running on many different systems. They are doing this by taken some CPU usage away.

Old
  (#25)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 03-07-2013, 20:46 | posts: 6,801 | Location: Dubai

They did a good job of simulating Diablo 3's launch .. maybe worse.