Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Microsoft's Future Vision: Live, Work, Play
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Microsoft's Future Vision: Live, Work, Play - 03-05-2013, 05:15 | posts: 21,532 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Technology could transform our life at work, on the go, and at home. This is a snapshot of what the future will look like five to ten years from now. In the years ahead, technology will amplify our se...

Microsoft's Future Vision: Live, Work, Play

Old
  (#2)
Koniakki
Maha Guru

Videocard: Palit 780Ti JS@1280/7500
Processor: Intel 3770k@4.6G's
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 OC Formula
Memory: Kingston P-X 16GB@2400Mhz
Soundcard: Asrock SPDIF-OUT
PSU: XFX BLACK PRO 750W GOLD
Default 03-05-2013, 18:16 | posts: 1,377 | Location: Inside My Thoughts..

So, we got a 5-10fold increase in power consumption, a 5-fold increase in devices and the most important thing: Those kids in the Ad instead of friends have a TV to play with...

Well, I'm thankful that I managed to live as a human being for a while... Until it lasts ofc..

I can think of quite a few movies that I'm sure that our future will look like those. And they are almost never happy and usually it doesnt end well.

Last edited by Koniakki; 03-05-2013 at 18:18.

Old
  (#3)
Veeshush
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 680 Lightning
Processor: Phenom II X6 1100T @ 4GHz
Mainboard: GA-MA790X-UD4P
Memory: CorsairDominator 4GB DDR2
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: ENERMAX REVOLUTION85+
Default 03-05-2013, 18:37 | posts: 955

Does that 3 word crap (Live, Work, Play) have a name? I swear there's some sort of power point type presentation school these people all go to. The one thing they never teach are how to show practical uses for any of this ****.

Old
  (#4)
Passion Fruit
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 6950 Unlocked 900/1250
Processor: i5 750 @ 4209Mhz on H50
Mainboard: MSI P55-GD65
Memory: 4x2GB RipJaws @ 2100 CL9
Soundcard: XFI XtremeMusic / Z-5500
PSU: OCZ ModXStream 700W
Default 03-05-2013, 18:38 | posts: 5,999 | Location: Middlesbrough, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koniakki View Post
So, we got a 5-10fold increase in power consumption, a 5-fold increase in devices and the most important thing: Those kids in the Ad instead of friends have a TV to play with...

Well, I'm thankful that I managed to live as a human being for a while... Until it lasts ofc..

I can think of quite a few movies that I'm sure that our future will look like those. And they are almost never happy and usually it doesnt end well.
That's pretty much it. The days of living as a human being are over. We'll get more and more dependant on technology whether it be useful or not, and one day, poof.

Old
  (#5)
tr4l1975
Maha Guru

Videocard: sapphire 7970HD 3GB OC
Processor: i7 3770K
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UP7
Memory: DDR3 1600MHZ 32GB
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Ultra LSP 650wpro 38A 12v
Default 03-05-2013, 20:21 | posts: 2,055 | Location: in my own world,they like me here.

From what I'm seeing now in the younger generation (i'll be 38 in june) I'm scared already. People are so buy with their mobile phones,tablets,notepads etc. to notice what is actually going on around them. Don't know answer? "google it". Missed your favorite show or movie? there's an app for that. I do have a mobile phone, a PC, and other tech, but I don't rely on them.Nothing can replace human interaction.(I mean face to face)

Last edited by tr4l1975; 03-05-2013 at 20:28.

Old
  (#6)
Veeshush
Maha Guru

Default 03-05-2013, 20:40 | posts: 955

I love how here, on a tech enthusiast forum, the very type you'd think they would be pitching this crap at, is filled with a type that still knows better than to fool themselves that they need tech gadget crap for everyday tasks and in every area of our lives.

Gives me hope.

Old
  (#7)
tr4l1975
Maha Guru

Default 03-05-2013, 20:45 | posts: 2,055 | Location: in my own world,they like me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeshush View Post
I love how here, on a tech enthusiast forum, the very type you'd think they would be pitching this crap at, is filled with a type that still knows better than to fool themselves that they need tech gadget crap for everyday tasks and in every area of our lives.

Gives me hope.
I Agree.

Old
  (#8)
must_kill_ati
Maha Guru

Videocard: Msi Gaming 780 Oc
Processor: I5 3570k @4.2
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
Soundcard: Xonar DSX
PSU: Corsair 850w
Default 03-05-2013, 20:49 | posts: 1,255 | Location: Iowa

Quote:

Gives me hope.
/doom-n-gloom

Just wait until the kiddies are out of school and they start posting... you'll lose that hope.

I'd love to have the huge table top monitor thingy that is in the advertisement.

Old
  (#9)
tr4l1975
Maha Guru

Default 03-05-2013, 20:55 | posts: 2,055 | Location: in my own world,they like me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by must_kill_ati View Post
/doom-n-gloom

Just wait until the kiddies are out of school and they start posting... you'll lose that hope.

I'd love to have the huge table top monitor thingy that is in the advertisement.
The "kiddies" are in school now posting. Social media sites are filled with useless crap, because of it now. I don't need to know every 2 minutes why some kid is bored, because they aren't at home, watching tv or playing video games, instead of of enjoying what they have and being alive.

Old
  (#10)
Veeshush
Maha Guru

Default 03-05-2013, 21:14 | posts: 955

In the DVD bonus features to The Yakuza (Paul Schrader's first film by the way) they have "old" 1970s footage of Japan and they made the point that it was before everyone was walking around with cellphones in their hands. It was wonderful.

I don't own a cellphone, and when I do need one I just borrow a basic one. I don't have a Facebook/Twitter either. I really don't get the appeal.

edit

All this stuff when you think about it is pitched under a "share whatever it is you're doing, with everyone, at any time!" sort of thinking. I know more things about people from a look at their Facebook than I should know, to the point of creepiness.

"Hey, what's up? Oh, yeah, I saw that already on your Facebook..."

Last edited by Veeshush; 03-05-2013 at 21:18.

Old
  (#11)
CronoGraal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD6870 1GB
Processor: Intel Q9450 @ 3.4ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X48-DQ6
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair 750W TX
Default 03-05-2013, 21:30 | posts: 3,843 | Location: Sweden

prob gonna be nothing like that

Old
  (#12)
tr4l1975
Maha Guru

Default 03-05-2013, 21:31 | posts: 2,055 | Location: in my own world,they like me here.

Quote:
In the DVD bonus features to The Yakuza (Paul Schrader's first film by the way) they have "old" 1970s footage of Japan and they made the point that it was before everyone was walking around with cellphones in their hands. It was wonderful.

I don't own a cellphone, and when I do need one I just borrow a basic one. I don't have a Facebook/Twitter either. I really don't get the appeal.
I appreciate that. My mobile phone hs replaced my land line. It's not a smartphone(dumbass phone IMO). I only use it to make call and texts casually. I would rather talk to the person trying to reach me. I do have FB accounts, for basically entertainment for when I'm bored and inclement weather prevents me from doing much else. I do read books, watch tv and other things. What alarms me..for example is: I know a young person who is getting disciplined for failling a class. Taken away was all gaming systems(Ps3,WII,<XBOX and PC and cellphone.) Next thing I know, parent is going bonkers because the child is going nuts being bored without tech. IMO I don't see advancements in tech playing out to well in our future with moderate use and responsibilty. Just my 2 cents.(respectively)

Old
  (#13)
tr4l1975
Maha Guru

Default 03-05-2013, 21:36 | posts: 2,055 | Location: in my own world,they like me here.

@veeshush on the creepiness of FB, yeah I really don't need to know the last minute my friends or family or any other people on my list went to the bathroom!

Old
  (#14)
The Laughing Ma
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 670GTX
Processor: I5 4690K @ 3.5Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus Formula VII
Memory: 8Gb Crucial Ballistix
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 650W
Default 03-05-2013, 21:51 | posts: 2,241

The scene where the kid is doing the story telling with the big screen and the story appears not just on the TV but also on the picture frames that where placed all around the TV screen, anyone else think of the scene in back to the future 2 where their are about 50 fax machines one in every room and how they all print out the YOU'RE FIRED message, it was kinda dumb in that movie and the concept just looks dumb here.

Old
  (#15)
IPlayNaked
Banned

Videocard: XFire 7950 1200/1850
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 5 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 03-05-2013, 22:04 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4l1975 View Post
@veeshush on the creepiness of FB, yeah I really don't need to know the last minute my friends or family or any other people on my list went to the bathroom!
Maybe you don't need to be on facebook. Facebook is specifically for the things you're complaining about.

Old
  (#16)
tr4l1975
Maha Guru

Default 03-05-2013, 22:10 | posts: 2,055 | Location: in my own world,they like me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayNaked View Post
Maybe you don't need to be on facebook. Facebook is specifically for the things you're complaining about.
For the most yes, But I do enjoy some games on it. to further my point about tech. http://www.channel3000.com/news/Woma...1/-/index.html

Old
  (#17)
proFits
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 680
Processor: Intel i7 950
Mainboard: ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM
Memory: Corsair 2x8GB 1600MHZ
Soundcard: Turtle Beach Headphones
PSU: Thermaltake 850W modular
Default 03-05-2013, 22:38 | posts: 5,863 | Location: Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by must_kill_ati View Post
/doom-n-gloom

I wish everything was a monitor

Old
  (#18)
FULMTL
Ancient Guru

Videocard: AOC 27"
Processor: Intel N2830 laptop :(
Mainboard: New build later
Memory: DEAD
Soundcard: ShureSRH940+ JDS Labs C5D
PSU: DEAD
Default 03-05-2013, 22:49 | posts: 6,735 | Location: Portland, Oregon

In reality it's Work Or Starve.

It's been said many times that being always connected or seeing everything someone does gets boring. Why do they keep pushing this lifestyle?

Last edited by FULMTL; 03-05-2013 at 22:53.

Old
  (#19)
Clouseau
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI HD6950 Twin Frozr III
Processor: Phenom II x4 940BE
Mainboard: ASUS M3A32-MVP WiFi
Memory: GSkill Pi-Black 4x2GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Antec HCP 1200
Default 03-05-2013, 23:35 | posts: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULMTL View Post
In reality it's Work Or Starve.

It's been said many times that being always connected or seeing everything someone does gets boring. Why do they keep pushing this lifestyle?

"...buy more, buy more now..."
THX1138 by George Lucus

Big Brother concept in 1984

Old
  (#20)
Laykun
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
Processor: i7 980X
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
Memory: 18GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Xonar DX / Denon AH-D7000
PSU: 850W CM Silent Pro M850
Default 03-06-2013, 03:32 | posts: 3,221 | Location: New Zealand

When they say "we" in the commercial they actually mean "the wealthy".

I love the way that kid is trying to keep the Surface RT on her legs, constantly slipping off and the kick stand folding up.

Old
  (#21)
elkosith
Maha Guru

Videocard: 9600 GT :(
Processor: Intel E7300 @ 3 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI P7N SLI Platinum
Memory: DDR2 800 2 x 1GB
Soundcard: Topping D2 + Blow4
PSU: 420 Watts
Default 03-06-2013, 04:14 | posts: 1,213 | Location: Indonesia

I don't think that would ever happen. In order for everything in that vid to work properly, some degree of intelligence is required, and that is what most people are lacking.

Old
  (#22)
Veeshush
Maha Guru

Default 03-06-2013, 16:44 | posts: 955

You know, after watching the video a second time I noticed the entire ****ing thing is nothing but touch screens.

The only touch screens that are productive are the Wacoms that artist use, and that's if they aren't drawing penises. Or maybe GPS screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laykun View Post
When they say "we" in the commercial they actually mean "the wealthy".
Yeah, that's another thing they don't seem to get while pitching this crap. Price vs payoff.

Old
  (#23)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 03-06-2013, 17:00 | posts: 7,243 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
You know, after watching the video a second time I noticed the entire ****ing thing is nothing but touch screens.

The only touch screens that are productive are the Wacoms that artist use, and that's if they aren't drawing penises. Or maybe GPS screens.

Yeah, that's another thing they don't seem to get while pitching this crap. Price vs payoff.
So because you don't find touch screens productive, they aren't productive?

And price vs payoff? A digitizer for an iPhone costs $30 aftermarket. Apple probably pays a dollar for it.

Old
  (#24)
Veeshush
Maha Guru

Default 03-06-2013, 17:32 | posts: 955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
So because you don't find touch screens productive, they aren't productive?
Oh god, not this "fact vs opinion" **** again.

I just gave examples of uses where they are or can be useful. The video shows everything as a touch screen. Explain where there's productivity shown in the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
And price vs payoff? A digitizer for an iPhone costs $30 aftermarket. Apple probably pays a dollar for it.
cool

But the screens themselves and the rest of the hardware would cost much more. No one can afford the things in the videos, nor will anyone be using them for doing things in which they would pay off the investment. So this "future vision" of theirs only caters to the rich and those who blow money on flashy stuff they don't need.

Old
  (#25)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 03-06-2013, 17:48 | posts: 7,243 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Oh god, not this "fact vs opinion" **** again.

I just gave examples of uses where they are or can be useful. The video shows everything as a touch screen. Explain where there's productivity shown in the video.

cool

But the screens themselves and the rest of the hardware would cost much more. No one can afford the things in the videos, nor will anyone be using them for doing things in which they would pay off the investment. So this "future vision" of theirs only caters to the rich and those who blow money on flashy stuff they don't need.
For the longest time nobody could afford a computer. Hell even 10-15 years ago it was thousands of dollars for a personal machine. Now you can get a usable laptop for $250. An android based PC for $100. Most companies were speculating that they'd be able to print large IPS panels for a fraction of the cost of an LCD once production ramps up. In 10 years an 80 inch touch screen with the hardware to drive it will probably be in the sub $100 range.

You specifically stated that the "ONLY" example are artists drawing or GPS screens. Which to me suggests that you don't think there are many use cases for touchscreens in useful applications. This isn't the case at all. Cars, phones, tablets, wall mounted screens, input devices for disabled people, devices that have limited access room around them, atm machines, check out lines at super markets. There are a thousand different use cases for touchscreens and the future is just going to bring a ton more.

So yeah, I do think most of this stuff is practical, in one way or another.