Can someone help me troubleshoot a problem with the 7950?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by driedupfish, Feb 27, 2013.

1. driedupfish

driedupfish Guest

GPU:
    AMD / Gigabyte / 3 GB
    Hi, I've recently purchased the 7950 and am having graphical anomaly while playing the Witcher 2. I just arrive to the Flotsam Forests and there are these flickering white flashes whenever I move my character. And the shadows just look weird.

I am playing on stock clock speed, and the temp stays under 60c. I've tried every drivers from 12.5 to 13.2 beta and the same flickering still persist. Tried 3dmark11 and Unigine Heaven and experience neither crash nor artifacts

The weird thing is, when I tried to record this flickering using Fraps and Afterburner, the flickering stopped. As soon as I disable the recording, the flickering comes back. I also noticed that if I disable Fullscreen, there would not be any flickering.

Tried the game on windows 7, reset my CPU to stock speed, problem still persist.

Do you guys think this is a hardware - related problem? If so I need to RMA the card ASAP.

P.S. I currently only have the Witcher 2 so I can't try other games.

System Specs:
    i5-3570k
    HD 7950
    8 GB RAM
    Windows 8 Pro

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hmm, please try other games before we look into this. It will be hard to say what is going on with only 1 game.

Otherwise... I'm not sure.. sounds like it's a driver thing. Do you have V sync enabled in game?

3. driedupfish

driedupfish Guest

GPU:
    AMD / Gigabyte / 3 GB
    Update: As mentioned in my post I've tried bunch of different drivers. And yes, I have V-sync enabled in game. Might be something to do with V-sync though, I am not sure. I swapped in my old 5770 and there is no more flickering. Time to RMA I guess...

I am guessing it has something to do with the 7950's GPU usage? When I use a recording software to record gameplay. the GPU usage drops to about 80's (from 99%) and there is no flickering. So does that mean when the gpu is in full load it will produce flickering? However, when I benchmark using 3dmark11 and Unigine Heaven (both stress GPU to 99% usage) there is no artifacts...,at least none that I notice.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    does it only happen in Skyrim?

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    There's a pattern here, you see.

Disabling fullscreen disengages VSync as well, VSync only works fullscreen.

With VSync off, try and record, see what happens.

I'm guessing that when you're recording, your FPS changes? Can you monitor GPU usage as well? VSync on and off.

Do you run triple buffering with VSync, so that GPU usage stays up and you get good FPS, or not?

Also, try to set up a small RAMDisk, and record to that. This should probably not cause any slowdown when recording. Then we can know things better.

EDIT: Hmm, yes, I saw your edit. My theory is that it might have something to do with GPU usage in that particular game. Try the above. Can you also try other DX9 games, especially Skyrim? And what options are enabled in The Witcher 2?

6. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah check other games first.

7. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Try downclocking the memory a little bit memory can easily cause flashing problems. Heck you might even be able to over clock it a tad and get the flickering to go away. I Havent read what model card you have either besides for 7950 is it a pre oc card? what brand sorry if you already posted it I was looking for it.