Headphone talk

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by FULMTL, Feb 23, 2013.

1. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Talking out loud here, but I been a member at Head-fi.org since last year, but I think I have to stop going there. The repeated threads in the full size headphone section are driving me nuts!

-Is X headphone worth it? It depends, are you single? Then yes, it is worth it. :p
    -Best headphone for X music? There is no best headphone!
    -Best headphone for X amount? For what kind of music? This is where I think it's best to have at least two headphones
    -Money is no concern. X vs X? Then buy both!
    -Headphone X (followed by a long overhyping thread title)
    -First sentence: "I'm no audiophile..."
    -First sentence: "Hi. I'm new to communication across a broadband network of computers...

:bang:

I want to say something stupid in response because that is my natural behavior. I think if I continue going to that forum, I'd get banned.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    The best thing over there is the "current hyped product of the month/week"... too fascinating. You'd think someone re-invented the wheel going by what's written there.

3. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I happen to own a flavor of the month headphone because at the time I was impulse buying, and was one of the first people in an "Appreciation Thread" to own the AKG K167. The thing was the person who made the thread was hyping the **** out of these headphones. It's like he/she was just filling up the thread with smileys and incomplete sentences to give that thread more pages to make that headphone appear like a very talked about product and to bump their own his post count. Eventually it got closed because of the repetitive nonsense and that person was a "member of the trade".

4. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Hey FULMTL- we're not that far from each other.

As for Head-Fi- I've been a member for quite a while, and I've learned to take everything with a dump truck of salt. That's what you have to do with everything in audio, though.

5. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I still remember that back when I bought my headphones (Ultrasone HFI 780) many people used to re-cable them.
    One of the hyped mods was the "ALO" mod that had some incredibly huge and expensive cables. The phones are great but I can't imagine how someone looks while wearing one of the modded ones. I always liked to use large speaker cable (if it fits the speaker and the amp I'll use it) but that just seemed really silly, especially when considering the weight it adds.

6. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Back when I was looking at buying my first pair of 'real' headphones I almost bought the ALO780's. The reviews were stating that it sounded almost as good as the Edition 8's or something. I ended up with PRO2900's instead.

7. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Most of my headphone research has already been done since I was in Japan, so I don't make anymore threads asking about headphones. The headphone stores there are amazing. Even though I have heard all the headphones I was interested in, I still don't have much of a budget to buy the ones I want at the moment heh.

Yodobashi Camera
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

E-Earphone
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Holy Crap FULMTL :eek3:

Headphone Heaven!

I spy some nice shiat :)

9. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Yep, my place was 30min walking distance from those stores. I would go there with a mostly full battery and leave when my battery ran out, which is usually a few hours at least. I would be there at least twice a week if I had no plans.
    E-earphone is a better store though because they had only good to the highest end headphones and the staff knows their stuff. It's also better to test heaphones there in a quieter environment than a loud electronics store.

10. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I wish I had something like that around where I live.

I live in a small town in Ohio, and I had to drive 90 miles to be able to listen to some headphones.

They had most of the major manufature's at that time, not all of them...but most of them.

I actually had my mind made up fairly fast as I just fell in love with the Grado sound signature....but I did listen to all of the headphones that I could while I was there.

It was alot of fun and if I had a place closer to my house, I would probably go every so often....probably a good thing that I don't as I am sure my wallett would be hurting much worse than it already is :grin:

11. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Didn't feel like making a new thread, but here's my ghetto modded gaming headset using a free standing/omnidirectional Samsung mic I found in my brother in laws' shelf. From what my buddy tells me over ventrillo, it sounds great. The cable on the mic is extreamly long! haha probably 12ft. I can't even find a product page for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Had to move this discussion out of the previous thread, it had no relavence to that thread.

I opened a new thread for it so you guys can continue your discussion.

13. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    When is Guru3d going to have more (or any) audio gear reviews?...

Although I think it's dumb when people have a $100-200 soundcard and use a $30-50 headset. I wish more companies would make better headsets, but then again, I don't want companies to start ripping off everyone pretending their products are for audiophiles by slapping that word on the front of their box - COUGH CORSAIR COUGH.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  14. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Holy crap, that microphone setup looks terrible. lol.

Here's what I did when I had HE-500's:

Shrink wrapped/taped a nice Audio Technica mic to a round piece of metal, which then goes over one of the earpads. I also used a preamp to control the mics sensitivity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use speakers now, but I still need a stable/comfortable headset. I took a regular Xbox bluetooth headset and added a headband/more comfortable earpad to it. Previously it was a semi in-ear style, but now it rests on the outside of my ear.

15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I'm only using one of the Logitech USB desktop microphones. Very nice quality, doesn't interefere with anything my soundcard has to do (I used to have trouble with mic-in regularly) and it has a nicely-lit button :D

16. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    I just stick to one or two threads over at head-fi. I've been a member there for several years and while I enjoy good audio some of them over there are just ridiculous. What I love are the adjectives people come up for with what they're perceiving as different in the sound based on a cable, power plug, dac, amp, etc.

I'll admit there are some sonic differences between equipment but to the extremes these people talk about is just laughable at best IMO.

There's a serious law of diminishing returns after a set dollar amount. I own 2 full size headphones, 2 ear buds, and a DAC/AMP. My most expensive purchase was the Denon-AH-D7000 and everything else each cost significantly less. I just laugh at the guys who pay thousands upon thousands for their setups.

There were only TWO headphones I heard that were insanely expensive that I thought were really good...one was the HiFiMan HE-6 and the other are the Stax 009. I live near the admin for the site (who's a really cool guy) so I've gotten the luxury of jamming some crazy setups.

17. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I see this more often than I'd like. People buying the likes of an Essence ST for their Corsair HS1a's or something. They'd have been better off with a cheap Xonar DG and spending more money on the headphones.

I'm also making plans to move to Japan after seeing those photographs. I've seen similar stores for other products over there, retro games and the like. You just don't get anything like that here, which is a shame.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    For those asking, we have a few great reviews of some nice products in the hopper right now...so they should be coming out very soon.

19. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    You know what, wouldn't it be a great idea to make custom headsets from headphones and sell them as a modding service?
    You could make superior $99 headsets easily.

20. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    That Stax 009 better sound good for $5000....talk about overkill.