Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..

Anonymous whistle blower claims Gearbox stole from SEGA
Old
  (#1)
WhiteLightning
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780GTX ACX
Processor: i7-2600k HT @ 4.5 +H70 PP
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING
Memory: Gskill 2133Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 1000 watt
Default Anonymous whistle blower claims Gearbox stole from SEGA - 02-25-2013, 07:55 | posts: 23,434 | Location: Hoek van Holland, Netherlands

Quote:
An anonymous writer, who has been regularly spilling details from within SEGA on the blog SEGA Awakens, has addressed the ongoing Aliens: Colonial Marines saga, adding fresh perspective and blaming SEGA, TimeGate, and Gearbox in different ways. Mostly Gearbox, though.

I've independently corroborated the blogger's information using my own resources, which is why I'm confident enough to share his rather valuable insight. In his blog, the man writing under the alias "Bryan Danielson" states that the torrent of rumors following Colonial Marines' release are "99% true," but wished to correctly apportion the blame.

In an engrossing read, the writer separated the culpability of the three main entities involved, detailing exactly how SEGA, TimeGate, and Gearbox messed up. He begins with TimeGate, the studio rumored to be responsible for most of Aliens' development under Gearbox's command.

"TimeGate is at fault for: Wanting to even take on this project and their shoddy work," Danielson wrote. "Granted, I heard about their claims about Gearbox having full creative control, but they should have tried to show their side of the argument and fight more if they had problems with Gearbox's creative control and creative direction.

"Honestly, I thought they should have risked some arguments and the possibility of losing the contract, if they had problems with the project like the Reddit poster said. However, there still is a chance of their claims being a lie or a half truth, but as I said above, TimeGate has some responsibility."

The whistle blower addressed the idea of TimeGate throwing out Gearbox's original project work when it took over, but could only offer speculation. The possibility is entertained that TimeGate may not have been legally allowed to use Gearbox's work, but it's also entirely possible the new studio decided to start again from scratch for some other reason.

"SEGA is at fault for: Announcing the project in 2007 when no work was done at all," he continued. "In my views, a game project should be announced publicly when it is 50-60% done, so you won't have to wait 6 years for a game that turns out to be ****.

"SEGA is also responsible for not permanently cancelling the game in 2008. I don't know who found out about the mishandling of funds by Gearbox, but [canceling Colonial Marines] had to be one of the few right decisions the board has done, or this person is one of the few board members who knew what they were doing (from what I heard, this person may have left the board a while ago when SEGA decided to start the project again). This game should have been cancelled permanently, and the final product is undeniable proof of it.

"Despite that, I believe SEGA wanted to try to get some of the money back, at the fans' expense. So another blame for SEGA there. SEGA should have also watched the project and development a lot better, because there was a lot of warning signs that said this was a disaster in the making. So whoever was assigned to watch Gearbox and the game has some responsibility too, unless the board was forcing him to do it. SEGA and their lawyers also have some blame on the wording of the contract too, but more on that later."

The blog then moves onto the main event, addressing the involvement of Gearbox Software and its CEO, Randy Pitchford. In no uncertain terms, the studio is accused of robbing its publisher and lying to its face.

"Now here is the company that should get most of the blame: Gearbox Software and Randy Pitchford. Gearbox stole from SEGA, they robbed us, lied to us about the game, and tried to get another company to make the game instead. Let's see where the funding went shall we? Everyone said the game went to both Borderlands games, but Duke Nukem Forever gets a mention as well, but it's pushed out of the spotlight, because people want to forget about that game, and I don't blame them! Duke Nukem Forever had a big impact on Aliens: Colonial Marines as well."

A Gamasutra article was used to back up the claim. The article in question is an interview with Pitchford, in which he explains how his studio got the rights to Duke Nukem Forever.

"It clearly shows that Pitchford and Gearbox wanted to focus heavily on Duke Nukem Forever, but how would they get the money to hire some of the 3D Realms team and even buy the intellectual property? Sure, they made a lot from Borderlands, but guess where they got the money to fund Borderlands in the first place? Yup, SEGA.

"So Gearbox essentially lied to SEGA, mishandled funds, broke agreements and contractual obligations to work on other projects, didn't want to work on a game they were contractually obligated to work on and gave it to another team, poor organization and direction on ACM, took on too many projects from different companies at once, and other things that we may not even know about. Hell, part of me believes that Gearbox wanted this thing delayed as much as possible so they can get more funding money to embezzle from SEGA."

Danielson concludes by saying he's heard rumors of possible legal action being taken by SEGA, but admits the contract may preclude such a step from being taken. All Gearbox apparently had to do was ship the game to fulfill the agreement, which it's now done. He added that SEGA should have canceled A:CM and taken the studio to court, rather than try to make the fans pay for the investment. The writer even goes so far as to suggest SEGA ought to have published Borderlands, given it paid so dearly for it.

"In this case, what happened clearly was SEGA had a decent eye on the project, rightfully cancelled it, when they saw the problems, then someone decided to restart the project, leading to this massive mess," he concludes. "Where is our money Randy? We should get sales from Borderlands 1 and 2, since it was our money that funded it."

That eventual Aliens: Colonial Marines post [SEGA Awakens]

[Update: Just to make it clear, I have been able to corroborate the basic information presented by "Danielson," not his more editorialized opinions. I can't back his claims of "embezzlement" -- likely more an emotional response on his part than anything else. I cannot vouch for the blogger firsthand, only the information I've been able to double check with my trusted sources -- chiefly that Gearbox had at least tried to present SEGA an unfavorable contract, the game was slated for cancellation and later resurrected, and that Gearbox was not fully truthful with the publisher on how much work it was putting into Aliens. Naturally, with no official word, this is all still just off-record stuff until someone can actually explain something publicly.
Source: http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-e...y-246558.phtml
Sega awakens blog: http://x.co/vcSy

Last edited by WhiteLightning; 02-25-2013 at 08:01.

Old
  (#2)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780Ti Classified SLI
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2
Default 02-25-2013, 08:08 | posts: 13,558 | Location: USA

Why am I not surprised by this.

Old
  (#3)
SLI-756
I have restricted access

Videocard: 760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 7000
Processor: Devil's Canyon i5 @4.8
Mainboard: gigabyte z97 G1 Sniper
Memory: 8gb dominator gt @2400
Soundcard: asus xonar dx
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
Default 02-25-2013, 08:11 | posts: 7,534 | Location: Sunny Scotland

I'd rather have BL2 than A: CM (demo version), it'll be interesting how the BL2 DLC pans out from here on.

Old
  (#4)
Damien_Azreal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 750 ti SC 2GB
Processor: AMD Phenom IIX4 965 Black
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Memory: 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600ghz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
PSU: Thermaltake Evo-Blu 650w
Default 02-25-2013, 13:30 | posts: 4,669 | Location: Kansas, USA

Oh look... it's this rumor again.

This has come, gone, been passed around... posted, reposted... and reworded countless times since A:CM was released.

I've seen people throwing this rumor around constantly. And now, some sites are rewording things saying the money was used for Borderlands 2 development and to buy the Duke Nukem IP.
Give it a few days, soon the rumor will include how the money also paid for Furious 4 and Ubisoft's new Brothers in Arms game.

Word is SEGA supplied 60 million. And, despite that being an huge sum of money, in terms of video game development... it's not that much.
Specially when you consider the cost of outsourcing to TimeGate, Nerve and Demiurge.
And the cost of the internal development Gearbox did on the game.

And, the rumor doesn't even make any sense. With 2K throwing ungodly huge amounts of money at the development of Borderlands 2... why would Gearbox need to take money from SEGA for BL2?

Short answer is people are disappointed in the game and lashing out at Gearbox.
It's the same as the rumors that jumped up when Gearbox bought DN from 3DR. All the rumors that 3DR had embezzeled money from 2K...
When, in truth, 2K never paid any money into DNF's development. They paid 3DRealms for publishing rights to PREY.

Old
  (#5)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX770 4GB FTW
Processor: i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: EVGA 750G2
Default 02-25-2013, 15:05 | posts: 4,899 | Location: Washington DC

Why does all this matter? The game was a disappointment. End of story. Let it go already

Old
  (#6)
Veteran
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 690@1372-Vmod on H20-24/7
Processor: 4930k@4.2ghz-1.05v-H20
Mainboard: R4BE@Monoblock-H20
Memory: 16Gb Mushkin Redline2133
Soundcard: SupremeFX-Sennheiser 350
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
Default 02-25-2013, 17:34 | posts: 10,551 | Location: United kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlkoho View Post
Why does all this matter? The game was a disappointment. End of story. Let it go already
This entirely.

Old
  (#7)
fr33jack
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX760 OC
Processor: i5 3570k 4.6GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z77MA|45
Memory: 8Gb 1866Mhz XMP
Soundcard: Realtek|ALC892
PSU: Zalman 660XT
Default 02-25-2013, 17:45 | posts: 506 | Location: Moscow | Russia

Yeah, I think the best way is that we all are must just forget about ACM for good...like we did with DNF. But we won't forget this:

Old
  (#8)
Seketh
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II
Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene
Memory: 8GB Vengeance @ 2000Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 02-25-2013, 19:36 | posts: 1,567 | Location: Covilhã, Portugal

Quote:
Thousands of people wasted their money. That's why.

The quality of the game and the E3 demo make it a kind of fraud. People shouldn't let it go, they should be even more annoyed.

Old
  (#9)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Default 02-25-2013, 20:15 | posts: 4,899 | Location: Washington DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seketh View Post

The quality of the game and the E3 demo make it a kind of fraud. People shouldn't let it go, they should be even more annoyed.
You're telling me you have never made a bad purchase based off of a demo before? I know I've made several. Demo's don't represent the final product.

Early adopters for any product whether it be hardware or software are bound to get burned by a bad purchase at some point. That's the risk you take when you just HAVE to buy it on the release date.

Old
  (#10)
The Laughing Ma
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 670GTX
Processor: I5 4690K @ 3.5Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus Formula VII
Memory: 8Gb Crucial Ballistix
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 650W
Default 02-25-2013, 21:35 | posts: 2,229

Quote:

Then who do you blame for that? The article seems that Sega should be blamed, if they stumped up the cash then they should have had someone overseeing EVERYTHING the developer was doing, if the developer was not delivering then Sega should have held them to account. It seems that Sega even decided to pull the plug and then decided to revive the project.

The two outcomes are

Sega stumped up the cash and then did no over watch on the project to ensure that the cash was going towards producing a quality game

Sega stumped up the cash and at some point in development saw that it was not going the way they wanted but pushed on and released the project purely to recoup the invested money

It's all very well blaming GB for the final game but the article seems to indicate that Sega was either utterly unaware of what was going on with their invested cash, or was aware and went for a quick cash grab.

Quote:
The quality of the game and the E3 demo make it a kind of fraud.
Not really, it's a demo subject to change the very nature of game development, ok in this instance this was an extreme example of it but I was going to buy A CM but instead decided to wait. I only had to wait one hour after the midnight Steam unlock before the first user reviews had rolled in and I knew not pre ordering it was the right decision.

Old
  (#11)
mitzi76
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 970 (Gaming)
Processor: CoreI7 920@4ghz(EK Sup)
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6gb Corsair 1600
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1
PSU: 850w Antec
Default 02-25-2013, 21:42 | posts: 8,073 | Location: UK

Quote:
You're telling me you have never made a bad purchase based off of a demo before? I know I've made several. Demo's don't represent the final product.

Early adopters for any product whether it be hardware or software are bound to get burned by a bad purchase at some point. That's the risk you take when you just HAVE to buy it on the release date.
I didnt have to buy value lasagne and eat horse meat doesnt mean it's right!

Difference here is demo was a lot different.

You know what I seem to remember some fake screenshots re shogun2. Guess what company involved...

SEGA

Old
  (#12)
charliehamster
Maha Guru

Videocard: Nvidia GTX-770
Processor: AMD FX 8350
Mainboard: GA-990FXA-UD5
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme
PSU: OCZ ModXstream pro
Default 02-25-2013, 23:35 | posts: 1,071 | Location: UK

Quote:
It's little wonder that games developers churn out so much crap with that sort of attitude.

Old
  (#13)
Gaizokubanou
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7970
Processor: i7 930 @ 3.8ghz 1.25v
Mainboard: Asus P6X56D-E
Memory: DDR3 6GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX
PSU: Corsair HX750W
Default 02-25-2013, 23:49 | posts: 1,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehamster View Post
It's little wonder that games developers churn out so much crap with that sort of attitude.
Because people keep buying it then realize their mistake about it afterward... only to buy the next iteration and repeat the process.

Let's stop preordering, day one buying, getting hyped by PR talks, etc. Those are far better things to do (or rather, not do) than talk about baseless rumors.

Old
  (#14)
iako
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
Processor: Intel Ci7 920 @ 3.4 GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
Memory: 12GB Corsair 1600 777.20
Soundcard: Creative Audigy 2 ZS Plat
PSU: TT Tough Power 850W
Default 02-26-2013, 00:03 | posts: 2,077 | Location: London / Athens / New-York / Beirut

Why not just wait for the reviews before you buy? Then if you find out it's a pile of doggie doo-doo, don't buy it. Only way the end user can make a meaningful statement...buy denying the a$$holes a sale.

I was really looking forward to this game, but I didn't pre-order specifically for that reason.. and if you look at how many games have left people pi$$ed off in recent history it should be a no-brainer.

This pre-order $h!t has become a massive money maker over the last few years..some people letting these companies hold their money for months, collecting their interest... and then serving them a cold turd.

What's that saying?... "fool me once.... "

Old
  (#15)
fr33jack
Master Guru

Default 02-26-2013, 00:19 | posts: 506 | Location: Moscow | Russia

@iako,
it is not about "pre-order"...at least for some. Personally, I didn't pre-order it (thanks, god). It's about "waiting and believing" - Myself, as many others, was waiting to play in ALIENS: Marines about 4-6 years...waiting to plunge deep down into Aliens universe as Marine commando...waiting to be amazed and such. Now what we've get with this piece of sh@t?..just a shame.

Old
  (#16)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Default 02-26-2013, 00:59 | posts: 4,899 | Location: Washington DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr33jack View Post
@iako,
it is not about "pre-order"...at least for some. Personally, I didn't pre-order it (thanks, god). It's about "waiting and believing" - Myself, as many others, was waiting to play in ALIENS: Marines about 4-6 years...waiting to plunge deep down into Aliens universe as Marine commando...waiting to be amazed and such. Now what we've get with this piece of sh@t?..just a shame.
But you still bought it. If you had waited till the reviews came out you could have saved yourself some money. Just like I said in my previous comment, if you buy it on day 1 you take the risk of buying a turd.
Like iako said, pre-ordering has gotten way out of hand. The sad part is, most people pre-order games on Steam to get stupid TF2 hats.

edit: i re-read your comment and noticed that you said you didn't pre-order it. I also don't see the point to pre-order any digital distribution game these days. It's not like Steam or Origin are going to run out of keys for a new release.

Old
  (#17)
fr33jack
Master Guru

Default 02-26-2013, 01:05 | posts: 506 | Location: Moscow | Russia

Quote:
The sad part is, most people pre-order games on Steam to get stupid TF2 hats...
Really?! xd
...but it's so stupid

Old
  (#18)
Shataan
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX Titan SC
Processor: FX 9590 @ 4.7 gig
Mainboard: Crosshair V Formula Z
Memory: GSkill TridentX 16Gb@2400
Soundcard: Logitech G35
PSU: Enermax 850 psu
Default 02-26-2013, 01:07 | posts: 804 | Location: Corsair H80i

"Demo's don't represent the final product."

Unless of course the demo specificly says "this is 100% actual ingame footage" with Randy himself saying that this is the actual gameplay. Which it did, and he did. Aye there`s the rub. ;p

Old
  (#19)
kapo
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 780
Mainboard: Asus z87
Memory: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DGX5.1
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 02-26-2013, 02:04 | posts: 207 | Location: Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shataan View Post

Unless of course the demo specificly says "this is 100% actual ingame footage" with Randy himself saying that this is the actual gameplay. Which it did, and he did. Aye there`s the rub. ;p
Ingame footage and Final product are two different things you know.

Old
  (#20)
chaotic1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
Processor: PHENOM II 1100T X6 @4Ghz
Mainboard: CrosshairIV Formula 890FX
Memory: RipJawX PC3-12800C9 2x4gb
Soundcard: OnBoard
PSU: CM Silent Pro M1000W
Default 02-26-2013, 02:06 | posts: 2,853

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapo View Post
Ingame footage and Final product are two different things you know.
he did say what you see here is what the player WILL see ingame if i remember correctly , yet the final product looked nothing like it tbh

Old
  (#21)
Damien_Azreal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 750 ti SC 2GB
Processor: AMD Phenom IIX4 965 Black
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Memory: 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600ghz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
PSU: Thermaltake Evo-Blu 650w
Default 02-26-2013, 03:31 | posts: 4,669 | Location: Kansas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shataan View Post

The demo was 100% in game footage.
But, it was also a "work in progress" so it's subject to change. So, people trying to claim false advertising are grasping at straws.

Old
  (#22)
charliehamster
Maha Guru

Videocard: Nvidia GTX-770
Processor: AMD FX 8350
Mainboard: GA-990FXA-UD5
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme
PSU: OCZ ModXstream pro
Default 02-26-2013, 06:26 | posts: 1,071 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
The demo was 100% in game footage.
But, it was also a "work in progress" so it's subject to change. So, people trying to claim false advertising are grasping at straws.
In this games case "subject to change" is the biggest understatement of the year.
BTW! Why are you are you being Gearbox fanboy of the year about it? It's not the first time Randy pitchford and his team have conned the gaming community. They pulled a similar stunt with BIA: Hell's Highway.

Old
  (#23)
MarkyG
Master Guru

Videocard: Geforce GTX 680 x2 SLI
Processor: Intel Core i7 960 @3.2ghz
Mainboard: EVGA X58 SLI-3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 12GB
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z / Tiamat
PSU: Corsair TX 850W
Default 02-26-2013, 07:28 | posts: 464 | Location: Leeds, United Kingdom

I suppose Damien has to remain impartial as he's a mod on GBX's forums. Although he does also seem to be the more level-headed individual among us.

Old
  (#24)
Daftshadow
Maha Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Processor: Intel i5-3570K 3.4GHz
Mainboard: BIOSTAR TZ77B LGA 1155
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Rosewill Xtreme 750W
Default 02-26-2013, 07:32 | posts: 1,040 | Location: California

Honestly, I believe the real problem is that GearBox took on too many projects than it could handle. The greed of more money played a big role here with the top dogs at GearBox. I don't really think there is or was embezzlement here from GearBox, just unfocused attention and responsibility due to working on too many projects nearly around the same time. Not everyone can be like BioWare...

Old
  (#25)
CronoGraal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD6870 1GB
Processor: Intel Q9450 @ 3.4ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X48-DQ6
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair 750W TX
Default 02-26-2013, 08:24 | posts: 3,827 | Location: Sweden

Quote:
they don't have the option to be annoyed and/or mad?