Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Sony announces the Playstation 4
Old
  (#1)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default Sony announces the Playstation 4 - 02-21-2013, 04:01 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Sony Entertainment announced the Playstation 4 to much fanfare today in New York. The company hopes to make use of its acquisition of Gaikai in the next generation console by incorporating its cloud technology. It also hopes to make its online platform a lot more social than it was back with the Playstation 3.

Unlike past launches, Sony declined to show off the console itself. Instead, it showed off the new DualShock 4 controller and the games that will be running on the new Playstation 4 when it hits the market during Holiday 2013.

After the press conference, Sony issued a press release outlining the technical specification of the new console:
  • Single-chip custom processor, with eight x86-64 AMD Jaguar CPU cores and 1.84 TFLOPS next-gen AMD Radeon based graphics engine
  • 8GB GDDR5 memory
  • Built-in hard drive
  • 6x Blu-Ray and 8x DVD drive
  • USB 3.0 and auxiliary ports
  • Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 2.1
  • HDMI, analog AV-out, and optical S/PDIF audio output
  • DualShock 4 controller, with two-point capacitive touchpad, three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer, vibration, light bar with three color LEDs, mono speaker, micro USB port, stereo headset port, extension port, 1000mAh battery
  • PlayStation 4 Eye camera, with two 1280 x 800 cameras, f/2.0 fixed focus lenses, 85-degree field of view, 30cm minimum focusing distance, four-channel microphone array

Sony's president of Worldwide Studios explained the absence of the presence of the new console was that it would be revealed at a later date so that the audience will not "get bored" in future announcements.

Source:
deltatux

Old
  (#2)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 02-21-2013, 04:05 | posts: 7,104 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

They showed off some pretty cool stuff at the conference, honestly the games coming out looked more impressive (game play wise) than anything about the console. I really want to play Watchdogs. That weird Klunk game looked pretty cool or whatever it was called.

If the price is low enough I may pick one up to play some exclusives. All the social media stuff I guess was inevitable but yeah, not too much of a fan. The graphics of the games seemed pretty standard too, nothing actually jumped out at me as amazing but I guess that's also to be expected.

Old
  (#3)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Default 02-21-2013, 04:18 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
They showed off some pretty cool stuff at the conference, honestly the games coming out looked more impressive (game play wise) than anything about the console. I really want to play Watchdogs. That weird Klunk game looked pretty cool or whatever it was called.

If the price is low enough I may pick one up to play some exclusives. All the social media stuff I guess was inevitable but yeah, not too much of a fan. The graphics of the games seemed pretty standard too, nothing actually jumped out at me as amazing but I guess that's also to be expected.
Problem for me with wanting the PS4 is that it's basically buying another PC just for gaming. It has an AMD CPU and GPU.... I already have a PC, it just feels weird to buy a PC that is potentially underpowered compared to my rig lol.

deltatux

Old
  (#4)
Neo Cyrus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX HD 6970 @ 1015/6400
Processor: Xeon W3530 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 2.0
Memory: 6GB DDR3-2000 9-9-9-24-1T
Soundcard: SB ZxR + DT 990 Pro-250
PSU: Antec High Current 900W
Default 02-21-2013, 04:37 | posts: 7,487 | Location: GTA, Canada

The processor is an absolute joke and 8GB GDDR5 FOR THE ENTIRE SYSTEM is the absolute bare minimum they can get away with without causing a memory catastrophe like last generation.

Old
  (#5)
Andrew LB
Master Guru

Videocard: PNY GTX 780 ti @ 1,143mhz
Processor: i5-4670K @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: Asrock z87 Extreme4
Memory: 16gb Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Corsair HX-850
Default 02-21-2013, 05:08 | posts: 422 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatux View Post
Sony's president of Worldwide Studios explained the absence of the presence of the new console was that it would be revealed at a later date so that the audience will not "get bored" in future announcements.
Riiiiight...

Sony announced those specs in a pathetic attempt at stealing a little of Microsofts thunder over the rumoed upcoming announcement.

Btw... i called it pathetic because their motive was so obvious. Someone should have told Sony how stupid it makes a company look in the eyes of consumers when you try and steal someone elses show AND most importantly, they didn't show the product. I'll bet they don't even have working systems yet. Like in 2005 when Microsoft anounced and showed off the 360 at E3 in Los Angeles. I have a habit at conventions to wander places where i don't belong. So I walked into the private microsoft wareas like i belonged there and hidden away behind the 360 systems were actually TWO PowerMac G5 workstations, and yes... they wererunning the games and the 360 systems which you could see from the the convention area were empty cases with an LED that made it look like it was legit.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...es/Xbox360.jpg

Old
  (#6)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Default 02-21-2013, 05:24 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Cyrus View Post
The processor is an absolute joke and 8GB GDDR5 FOR THE ENTIRE SYSTEM is the absolute bare minimum they can get away with without causing a memory catastrophe like last generation.
Is it because it's AMD that's why it's a "joke"? I fail to see how it being powered by an AMD CPU means that it's an automatic fail. Plus, 8 GB of memory is quite normal for most people, most people are still running 4 GB rigs perfectly. I think Sony put more than enough memory in the PS4.

Hell, on my rig when running Linux, my system only uses about 2 GB max out of my 16 GB, about 3 - 4 GB with TF2 or other games opened. With my Windows partition? Minimum usage was 4 GB, plus games and etc. easily 8 GB can be used by the system. Since the PS4 isn't running Windows, it doesn't have to deal with the bulk.

The question is really for the PC gamer, there isn't much to offer since our rigs would be plenty powerful when compared to the PS4 due to our ability to fit whatever parts we want to. Now the biggest question is: how much is this console going to be sold for?

deltatux

Old
  (#7)
Neo Cyrus
Ancient Guru

Default 02-21-2013, 05:33 | posts: 7,487 | Location: GTA, Canada

The CPU section is going to be Bulldozer or Piledriver based and the rumours have been that it will be clocked 1.6GHz. Can you say with a straight face that that's not a joke? And yes I believe Bulldozer is absolute trash that has no practical use in reality compared to other architectures which have far superior clock for clock performance which matters a lot. K10 would have been far superior if it was continued, it would have been great to have another option, but now we're stuck with a near monopoly.

No I don't want philosophical debate with you why you think it has a purpose. I disagree.

8GB of memory is for the entire system, not just for graphics or for the OS. It's only acceptable at the present because of how badly the previous consoles crippled advancement, everything on PCs ended up having ass for textures because they were console ports which was part of the reason for the extremely small change in memory requirements over the years.

It may be "okay" now having 8GB total memory, but it won't be in 5 years, and we all know these consoles are kept going for as long as $ony and Micro$haft deem they yield more profit than starting a new generation.

Last edited by Neo Cyrus; 02-21-2013 at 05:37.

Old
  (#8)
(.)(.)
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 580sli (water)
Processor: 2600k @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus M4E
Memory: Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Enermax Rev 1250w
Default 02-21-2013, 05:36 | posts: 4,794 | Location: Logd n jst 2 change avatar

8gb is great even if its for the entire system. I mean what pc game currently use more than 3gb of ddr3.

Old
  (#9)
Neo Cyrus
Ancient Guru

Default 02-21-2013, 05:37 | posts: 7,487 | Location: GTA, Canada

Let's see how great you think it is in 7 years when textures still look like they do today.

Old
  (#10)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Default 02-21-2013, 05:45 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
The CPU section is going to be Bulldozer or Piledriver based and the rumours have been that it will be clocked 1.6GHz. Can you say with a straight face that that's not a joke? And yes I believe Bulldozer is absolute trash that has no practical use in reality compared to other architectures which have far superior clock for clock performance which matters a lot. K10 would have been far superior if it was continued, it would have been great to have another option, but now we're stuck with a near monopoly.

No I don't want philosophical debate with you why you think it has a purpose. I disagree.

8GB of memory is for the entire system, not just for graphics or for the OS. It's only acceptable at the present because of how badly the previous consoles crippled advancement, everything on PCs ended up having ass for textures because they were console ports which was part of the reason for the extremely small change in memory requirements over the years.

It may be "okay" now having 8GB total memory, but it won't be in 5 years, and we all know these consoles are kept going for as long as $ony and Micro$haft deem they yield more profit than starting a new generation.
Did further reading, it seems like it's based on the Jaguar APU architecture instead, which is the successor to Brazos 2.0. Bulldozer wasn't THAT bad, it handled a lot of things that you throw at it pretty good, it just was underwhelming for gamers. Fortunately, most people, me included don't only use our rigs to game. It did spectacularly well in well-threaded environments. Piledriver made it even better and slightly slower than Sandy Bridge. If the PS4 is indeed powered by Jaguar as the codename suggests then yes, the PS4 will indeed be considered underpowered.

As for memory, I can only see VRAM go up, system memory has basically stalled in the 8 - 16 GB region as of late as applications have become less hungry as they did in previous years. Right now there's still a lot more memory than most graphics cards, hell mine only has 1 GB of VRAM and can still do a very respectable job in the graphics department. In 7 years, I would expect games to need 6 GB of VRAM and still be OK. Even at the current norm of 2 GB, VRAM size increases have pretty much slowed in recent years as well as people have been concentrated on the mobile market rather than the upper PC markets. Only super high end graphics cards would likely have 16+ GB of VRAM in the future but I still don't believe your average gamer's cards will have that much RAM in that timeframe.

deltatux

Last edited by deltatux; 02-21-2013 at 05:48.

Old
  (#11)
Speed Weed
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 260+
Processor: Core i5 2500K @ 4.7
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Pro ( 3.1)
Memory: 8Gb Corsair @ 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Tuffpower 850
Default 02-21-2013, 05:48 | posts: 1,026 | Location: Somewhere in Scotland

Couldn't you say the same sort of thing about graphics cards?
Still quite happy with my GTX 260+, and have no idea how some games would look with a high-end card.
Just so long as Nvidia includes my card in some of the updates, I'm happy.

Old
  (#12)
Neo Cyrus
Ancient Guru

Default 02-21-2013, 05:59 | posts: 7,487 | Location: GTA, Canada

Yeah... I already knew about it being 'Jaguar', all that stuff is descended from Bulldozer is it not? The big difference will be the 1.6GHz clock.

And I reiterate, we're in the state we are now because of the limitations caused by previous consoles. I have no doubt GPUs would be regularly equipped with 4GB or more of GDDR5 if we had proper textures over the last decade.

Old
  (#13)
Sash
Ancient Guru

Videocard: video
Processor: cpu
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: psu
Default 02-21-2013, 06:06 | posts: 7,004

i didn't see any console, what console?

Old
  (#14)
Neo Cyrus
Ancient Guru

Default 02-21-2013, 06:11 | posts: 7,487 | Location: GTA, Canada

They didn't actually show the console itself, just the really crappy camera and the fugly controller.

Basically they don't have a final design for the console but they wanted to steal some of Micro$haft's thunder.

Old
  (#15)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Default 02-21-2013, 06:15 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Yeah... I already knew about it being 'Jaguar', all that stuff is descended from Bulldozer is it not? The big difference will be the 1.6GHz clock.

And I reiterate, we're in the state we are now because of the limitations caused by previous consoles. I have no doubt GPUs would be regularly equipped with 4GB or more of GDDR5 if we had proper textures over the last decade.
No, Jaguar has no relation to Bulldozer, like Intel Atom has no relation to Sandy Bridge. Brazos which is the predecessor to Jaguar did have a 1.6 GHz clock speed so it doesn't surprise me if Jaguar also has the same clock speed. That or maybe AMD has customized the silicon so that it can be clocked faster at like 2.0+ GHz clock rates, no one knows atm.

deltatux

Old
  (#16)
Neo Cyrus
Ancient Guru

Default 02-21-2013, 06:19 | posts: 7,487 | Location: GTA, Canada

Well, that's what I get for not reading more (was never interested in it).

How does it compare clock for clock to Bulldozer?

Old
  (#17)
mameira
Maha Guru

Videocard: eVGA 470 GTX
Processor: 1055T @ 3.8
Mainboard: Gigabyte 890FX-UD5
Memory: Corsair 4x2GB
Soundcard: Creative Fatality XFI
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 02-21-2013, 06:40 | posts: 1,389 | Location: Caracas, Venezuela

look at the positive side, the consoles are mini PCs, it means the ports will run better and AMD CPUs will get hardcoded and maybe show an improvement in PC gaming

Old
  (#18)
Supertribble
Master Guru

Videocard: too many to list :P
Processor: 2600K@4.5 NH-D14
Mainboard: P8Z68 V-Pro
Memory: 16GB Mushkin Redline 2133
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: various
Default 02-21-2013, 07:06 | posts: 319 | Location: Earth

The PS4 has a unified pool of 8GB GDDR5. That's is a lot faster than any PC right now. I don't understand people complaining about the power of this thing. It will also make PC ports potentially problematic if devs use the bandwidth available on the PS4.

Old
  (#19)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Default 02-21-2013, 07:32 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Well, that's what I get for not reading more (was never interested in it).

How does it compare clock for clock to Bulldozer?
Jaguar was meant to be like Intel's Atom, it's worse than Bulldozer but faster than Atom.

deltatux

Old
  (#20)
AbjectBlitz
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R290 PColorPCS+ 1250/1620
Processor: i7 2700k @ 5Ghz H80
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V Gen3
Memory: 8gb RipJaws @ 2133 mhz
Soundcard: X-FI Fatal1ty pro
PSU: Crosair TX 750W
Default 02-21-2013, 09:53 | posts: 3,360 | Location: United Kingdom

Sony described the machine as being like a "supercharged" PC.

Hahaha, yeah.. sure.

In the past console releases were up there with the high end PC, this sounds like it will be mid range even on release.

Old
  (#21)
SirDremor
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX680 2Gb
Processor: Core i7 920 @ 3.6 Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Memory: G.Skill DDR3 3x2Gb
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Fatal1ty
PSU: CoolerMaster 1000W
Default 02-21-2013, 10:32 | posts: 269 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertribble View Post
The PS4 has a unified pool of 8GB GDDR5. That's is a lot faster than any PC right now. I don't understand people complaining about the power of this thing. It will also make PC ports potentially problematic if devs use the bandwidth available on the PS4.
We are not complaining, we are stating facts.
The problem is - no single CPU can use such bandwidth, even Intel's Xeons. And here we talk about some AMD Jaguar CPU - a rather "underpowered" CPU from all points of view.
Acually I really wonder how will they make it's CPU to work with it in the first place... GDDR5 is no DDR3... will be interesting too implementation though.

So to continue my though - much of the bandwidth will be used by GPU part (where GDDR5 is already used for quite some time), and in this case we have a rather mid-range GPU...

So taking all in account we have a strange PC with weak CPU, mid-range GPU, some unknown OS... and are told this is going to be cool...

Nah! my current old build is actually cooler than that.

Old
  (#22)
jesteves
Member Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 780ti
Processor: Intel Core i7-5930K
Mainboard: MSI X99S GAMING 7
Memory: Gskill DDR4 16GB 2666-C15
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X
PSU: Corsair AX-1200i
Default 02-21-2013, 11:02 | posts: 95 | Location: PORTUGAL (Porto)

The hardisk itíll be a normal HDD or a solid state drive ?

Old
  (#23)
Redemption80
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 570
Processor: i7-2600K @ 4.5ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67
Memory: G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar D2
PSU: Corsair GS800
Default 02-21-2013, 11:03 | posts: 14,806 | Location: Glasgow

It might look basic on paper compared to a PC, but you donít compare it spec for spec, the fact people on here have to keep being told that is embarrassing.

You can do a lot more with fixed hardware than with a PC, not to mention all the performance killing OS and driver problems that PC gaming brings.

Having to support low and medium spec PCís will always hold back the high end, there is a possibility that even when the next gen consoles are out the PC version will be a port from the last gen game.

8GB of ram is more than enough for 1080p for many years, there is no way more will be needed in a fixed environment.

The fact it they are claiming it takes a $3500 PC to run the same tech demos as a likely $500 console is a joke and just shows how broken and inefficient the PC is as a gaming platform.

I can see me being done with PC gaming until I get a 4k TV, as for 1920x1080 I just donít think there will be any point buying a PC, especially when no one wants to make exclusives anymore.

Last edited by Redemption80; 02-21-2013 at 11:08.

Old
  (#24)
FULMTL
Ancient Guru

Videocard: AOC 27"
Processor: Intel N2830 laptop :(
Mainboard: New build later
Memory: DEAD
Soundcard: ShureSRH940+ JDS Labs C5D
PSU: DEAD
Default 02-21-2013, 11:06 | posts: 6,701 | Location: Portland, Oregon

Not excited until there is a new Disgaea game on it.

Old
  (#25)
H83
Maha Guru

Videocard: Pallit GTX570
Processor: Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5Q DELUXE
Memory: G. Skill 4G DDR2 @1130MHz
Soundcard: Sound Blaster SB Audigy
PSU: Corsair TX 850W V2
Default 02-21-2013, 11:14 | posts: 1,300 | Location: Mars

Ok, thatīs all very nice, now can you release GT6 please!?

Last edited by H83; 02-21-2013 at 11:17.

Tags
amd, playstation, ps4, sony