Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
NVIDIA announces Tegra 4i SoC
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone
 
Hilbert Hagedoorn's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default NVIDIA announces Tegra 4i SoC - 02-19-2013, 13:24 | posts: 21,323 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Nvidia today announced the Tegra 4i, a smartpone chip with an integrated LTE modem on the same physical die. This is a follow-on to the Tegra 4 that was announced at this year’s CES 2013. Fo...

NVIDIA announces Tegra 4i SoC
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
h0d
Master Guru
 
h0d's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI R7970 Cfx - EKwb En
Processor: 3930k - EK HF-Supreme
Mainboard: Rog Rampage Extreme IV
Memory: DDR3-2133 16g
Soundcard: HT | Omega - eClaro 7.1
PSU: Silverstone 1200W
Default 02-19-2013, 13:45 | posts: 188 | Location: Québec

This is something. As long as the battery autonomy is better, ill buy hehe
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
schmidtbag
Master Guru
 
schmidtbag's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x ATI HD5750
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 02-19-2013, 13:50 | posts: 421 | Location: MA, USA

uh... the cortex a9 is not ARMs best. The A15 is incomparably better.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 02-19-2013, 14:50 | posts: 7,190 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
uh... the cortex a9 is not ARMs best. The A15 is incomparably better.
No where did it state that the A9 was the best?
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
Anarion
Ancient Guru
 
Anarion's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 02-19-2013, 14:59 | posts: 10,987 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
No where did it state that the A9 was the best?
"based on ARM’s newest and most efficient core"
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru
 
CPC_RedDawn's Avatar
 
Videocard: 3GB HD7970OC/2GB HD7770
Processor: 4770K@4.5GHz/Q6600@3.6GHz
Mainboard: Z87-GD65 / P5K PREMIUM
Memory: 16GB@1866MHz/4GB@1066MHz
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: 1200W/900W
Default 02-19-2013, 15:03 | posts: 5,958 | Location: Wolverhampton/United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0d View Post
This is something. As long as the battery autonomy is better, ill buy hehe
Seconded. I had to buy a new battery for my S3 as the standard 2100mah one just got destroyed with wi-fi, downloading, games, and web surfing. Even with a battery saver app configured properly as well, screen brightness turned down and it would only last around 6 - 8 hours of consistent screen time if I was lucky. I now have a 4300mah batter and I can have it on for about two days without needing to charge it. Right now its on 17% battery and its been on that since last night with no charge and its been on a total of 2 days All for £7 too.

They really need to focus on battery life rather than performance.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
schmidtbag
Master Guru
 
schmidtbag's Avatar
 
Videocard: 2x ATI HD5750
Processor: AMD FX-6300 @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek ALC889
PSU: 700W
Default 02-19-2013, 15:35 | posts: 421 | Location: MA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPC_RedDawn View Post
Seconded. I had to buy a new battery for my S3 as the standard 2100mah one just got destroyed with wi-fi, downloading, games, and web surfing. Even with a battery saver app configured properly as well, screen brightness turned down and it would only last around 6 - 8 hours of consistent screen time if I was lucky. I now have a 4300mah batter and I can have it on for about two days without needing to charge it. Right now its on 17% battery and its been on that since last night with no charge and its been on a total of 2 days All for £7 too.

They really need to focus on battery life rather than performance.
I agree, nvidia shooting for performance in a low power environment is like eating a cake while you're on a treadmill - you might enjoy it at the time but in the end it's counterproductive.

However, maybe nvidia doesn't sincerely care about power efficiency. After all, they originally wanted a license to x86, and when intel said no, nvidia shot for the next company who would listen to them. I'm sure if it were up to nvidia, they'd have a real powerhouse of a cpu+gpu, but for now that just isn't going to happen.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 02-19-2013, 16:08 | posts: 7,190 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
"based on ARM’s newest and most efficient core"
Nope still not seeing best in that sentence. I mean maybe if I anagram it. Not even to mention that nothing in that sentence is wrong either.

The A15 only gets 40% more performance for nearly double the TDP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
I agree, nvidia shooting for performance in a low power environment is like eating a cake while you're on a treadmill - you might enjoy it at the time but in the end it's counterproductive.

However, maybe nvidia doesn't sincerely care about power efficiency. After all, they originally wanted a license to x86, and when intel said no, nvidia shot for the next company who would listen to them. I'm sure if it were up to nvidia, they'd have a real powerhouse of a cpu+gpu, but for now that just isn't going to happen.

What?

The T4i has Quad A9's unlike the T4's Quad A15s. Shield has a 4-8w TDP as calculated by the battery reports given by Nvidia's CEO -- which is in line with what the TDP is for the dual A15 (Exynos) powering the Nexus 10, except the T4 has double the cores.

With Quad A9's the T4i will come in lower than the Quad Krait and the Krait is already in phones with decent battery life (DNA gets 4 hours S.O. with a 2020 battery).

Pretty sure they care about battery life or why else would they build a chip with integrated LTE and A9s?

Last edited by Denial; 02-19-2013 at 16:11.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
deltatux
Ancient Guru
 
deltatux's Avatar
 
Videocard: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 02-19-2013, 23:50 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Seeing that this SoC is destined for the budget market, this is rather impressive. NVIDIA expects to have these in devices that have a $100-300 price tag (without carrier contract or subsidy from the sellers ... I know people are going to point at the Nexus 4 having a Qualcomm S4 Pro). There are no other SoCs with comparable performance nor feature-set that can touch the Tegra 4i right now for that price.

Now there's to hoping that ST-Ericsson, Broadcom and Mediatek have an answer ready for the new NVIDIA SoC. They're pretty big players in the low-mid range markets. I don't think Qualcomm would care too much since they're comfortably sitting in the mid-high end market which NVIDIA will have a tough time competing as SoC manufacturers like Samsung and Texas Instruments are up there with Qualcomm.

Samsung is likely going exclusive for their SoC design going forward as Apple has scaled back their chip orders from Samsung due to their legal spat. Samsung may still use Qualcomm chips in the future but not as much as they are now in their high end devices.

deltatux

Last edited by deltatux; 02-19-2013 at 23:54.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru
 
Videocard: GTX 460 HAWK Talon Attack
Processor: Q6600@3.5GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte EP-43-DS3L
Memory: 4GB OCZ 5-4-4-4-12
Soundcard: Onboard Realtek ALC888
PSU: Silent Pro M700
Default 02-19-2013, 23:56 | posts: 3,007

Tegra will continue to lose money for another year, unless Shield turns this around.

Luckily NV has plenty of cash to weather whole restructuring business until Tegra (5) conquers the world.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
deltatux
Ancient Guru
 
deltatux's Avatar
 
Videocard: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 02-20-2013, 00:01 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisiv View Post
Tegra will continue to lose money for another year, unless Shield turns this around.

Luckily NV has plenty of cash to weather whole restructuring business until Tegra (5) conquers the world.
What's funny is that the bulk of the ARM tablet market is dominated by NVIDIA's Tegra 3...

It's hard to find a tablet that isn't powered by Tegra 3, there are a couple, namely the Galaxy Tab 2, Galaxy Note 10.1, Lenovo S2109/2110 and Dell's XPS 10. That's about it in terms of mid-high end tablets that aren't powered by Tegra 3.

deltatux
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru
 
Videocard: GTX 460 HAWK Talon Attack
Processor: Q6600@3.5GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte EP-43-DS3L
Memory: 4GB OCZ 5-4-4-4-12
Soundcard: Onboard Realtek ALC888
PSU: Silent Pro M700
Default 02-20-2013, 00:30 | posts: 3,007

40 nm LPG was a true virtuoso move
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.