NVIDIA announces Tegra 4i SoC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Nvidia today announced the Tegra 4i, a smartpone chip with an integrated LTE modem on the same physical die. This is a follow-on to the Tegra 4 that was announced at this year’s CES 2013. Fo...

NVIDIA announces Tegra 4i SoC

2. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    This is something. As long as the battery autonomy is better, ill buy hehe

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    uh... the cortex a9 is not ARMs best. The A15 is incomparably better.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No where did it state that the A9 was the best?

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    "based on ARM’s newest and most efficient core"

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Seconded. I had to buy a new battery for my S3 as the standard 2100mah one just got destroyed with wi-fi, downloading, games, and web surfing. Even with a battery saver app configured properly as well, screen brightness turned down and it would only last around 6 - 8 hours of consistent screen time if I was lucky. I now have a 4300mah batter and I can have it on for about two days without needing to charge it. Right now its on 17% battery and its been on that since last night with no charge and its been on a total of 2 days :) All for £7 too.

They really need to focus on battery life rather than performance.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I agree, nvidia shooting for performance in a low power environment is like eating a cake while you're on a treadmill - you might enjoy it at the time but in the end it's counterproductive.

However, maybe nvidia doesn't sincerely care about power efficiency. After all, they originally wanted a license to x86, and when intel said no, nvidia shot for the next company who would listen to them. I'm sure if it were up to nvidia, they'd have a real powerhouse of a cpu+gpu, but for now that just isn't going to happen.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nope still not seeing best in that sentence. I mean maybe if I anagram it. Not even to mention that nothing in that sentence is wrong either.

The A15 only gets 40% more performance for nearly double the TDP.

What?

The T4i has Quad A9's unlike the T4's Quad A15s. Shield has a 4-8w TDP as calculated by the battery reports given by Nvidia's CEO -- which is in line with what the TDP is for the dual A15 (Exynos) powering the Nexus 10, except the T4 has double the cores.

With Quad A9's the T4i will come in lower than the Quad Krait and the Krait is already in phones with decent battery life (DNA gets 4 hours S.O. with a 2020 battery).

Pretty sure they care about battery life or why else would they build a chip with integrated LTE and A9s?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Seeing that this SoC is destined for the budget market, this is rather impressive. NVIDIA expects to have these in devices that have a $100-300 price tag (without carrier contract or subsidy from the sellers ... I know people are going to point at the Nexus 4 having a Qualcomm S4 Pro). There are no other SoCs with comparable performance nor feature-set that can touch the Tegra 4i right now for that price.

Now there's to hoping that ST-Ericsson, Broadcom and Mediatek have an answer ready for the new NVIDIA SoC. They're pretty big players in the low-mid range markets. I don't think Qualcomm would care too much since they're comfortably sitting in the mid-high end market which NVIDIA will have a tough time competing as SoC manufacturers like Samsung and Texas Instruments are up there with Qualcomm.

Samsung is likely going exclusive for their SoC design going forward as Apple has scaled back their chip orders from Samsung due to their legal spat. Samsung may still use Qualcomm chips in the future but not as much as they are now in their high end devices.

deltatux

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Tegra will continue to lose money for another year, unless Shield turns this around.

Luckily NV has plenty of cash to weather whole restructuring business until Tegra (5) conquers the world.

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    What's funny is that the bulk of the ARM tablet market is dominated by NVIDIA's Tegra 3...

It's hard to find a tablet that isn't powered by Tegra 3, there are a couple, namely the Galaxy Tab 2, Galaxy Note 10.1, Lenovo S2109/2110 and Dell's XPS 10. That's about it in terms of mid-high end tablets that aren't powered by Tegra 3.

deltatux

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    40 nm LPG was a true virtuoso move :D