Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

NVIDIA Tegra 4 Will Ship from July
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default NVIDIA Tegra 4 Will Ship from July - 02-14-2013, 09:01 | posts: 21,102 | Location: Guru3D testlab

NVIDIA's upcoming Tegra 4 SoC chips will start shipping to device manufacturers starting in July. In the latestÂ*conference call with financial analysts it became clear that shipments will start in t...

NVIDIA Tegra 4 Will Ship from July

Old
  (#2)
Chillin
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 560 930/2300
Processor: i5-2500K@4.4GHz 1.2v H60
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: G.Skill 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer+Z506 5.1
PSU: Corsair TX 750w v2
Default 02-14-2013, 09:37 | posts: 6,432 | Location: Chilling

Actually, the "small energy efficient core" is an underclocked A15.

Old
  (#3)
fearsjohn
Maha Guru

Videocard: evga gtx 560ti
Processor: 990x
Mainboard: msi x58 big bang
Memory: 12gigs viper xtreme 2000
Soundcard: klipsh pro 2.1 speakers
PSU: ultra 1000
Default 02-14-2013, 16:01 | posts: 1,283 | Location: atlanta, ga

I'm glad nobody is ordering this. I will never have another nvidia product in my phone or tablet because of the ****ty support they have. i guess the manufacturers are also feeling that way now.

Old
  (#4)
Chillin
Ancient Guru

Default 02-14-2013, 16:08 | posts: 6,432 | Location: Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearsjohn View Post
I'm glad nobody is ordering this. I will never have another nvidia product in my phone or tablet because of the ****ty support they have. i guess the manufacturers are also feeling that way now.

Is this meant to be a joke?

Old
  (#5)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 02-14-2013, 16:25 | posts: 6,798 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillin View Post
I was wondering the same thing

Old
  (#6)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 02-14-2013, 16:36 | posts: 7,123 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Probably not. Most mobile developers hate the tegra platform due to all the closed source bull****. It's basically crippled development on a number of top selling products. My Nexus 7's colors still can't be calibrated because of tegra source garbage and because it takes them so long to manufacturer the damn chip it's often underpowered by the time it launches. When T3 launched it was godlike compared to the competition but by the time it found it's way into a product 6 months later it was average at best.

Nvidia needs to get their **** together.

Last edited by Denial; 02-14-2013 at 16:41.

Old
  (#7)
Chillin
Ancient Guru

Default 02-14-2013, 22:51 | posts: 6,432 | Location: Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
Probably not. Most mobile developers hate the tegra platform due to all the closed source bull****. It's basically crippled development on a number of top selling products. My Nexus 7's colors still can't be calibrated because of tegra source garbage and because it takes them so long to manufacturer the damn chip it's often underpowered by the time it launches. When T3 launched it was godlike compared to the competition but by the time it found it's way into a product 6 months later it was average at best.

Nvidia needs to get their **** together.
Nvidia has the reputation as the best developer support in the industry.

The Tegra 3 was more than adequate for its generation and the Tegra 4 looks to repeat that with the next generation. Tegra 5 is finally going to have unified shaders and is supposed to share the same architecture as the Kepler series.

Hell, they even have their own app store (Tegra zone) where the approve apps that specifically run/look better on Tegra.

Your arguing about semantics that don't apply to 99.9% of the population (calibrate colors on tablet screen!? Never heard anyone request that before).

Old
  (#8)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Default 02-14-2013, 23:38 | posts: 7,123 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Nvidia has the reputation as the best developer support in the industry.

The Tegra 3 was more than adequate for its generation and the Tegra 4 looks to repeat that with the next generation. Tegra 5 is finally going to have unified shaders and is supposed to share the same architecture as the Kepler series.

Hell, they even have their own app store (Tegra zone) where the approve apps that specifically run/look better on Tegra.

Your arguing about semantics that don't apply to 99.9% of the population (calibrate colors on tablet screen!? Never heard anyone request that before).
I'm quite obviously talking about ROM/Kernel development and not game or application development. I also never recall stating anything about it's effect on 99.9% of the population. I said that there are a number of popular devices that are crippled in the ways stated above due to it having a Tegra processor.

Old
  (#9)
fearsjohn
Maha Guru

Videocard: evga gtx 560ti
Processor: 990x
Mainboard: msi x58 big bang
Memory: 12gigs viper xtreme 2000
Soundcard: klipsh pro 2.1 speakers
PSU: ultra 1000
Default 02-15-2013, 02:11 | posts: 1,283 | Location: atlanta, ga

I have the lg g2x which still does not have ics on it because of driver source code issues from nvidia as well as lg. if they would have released source code i would not be pissed and i could have a working ****ing rom on my phone. there is no reason that a tegra 2 in a phone cannot run it.
and you are an idiot if you think they have the best developer support. why do you think linius the father of liniux told nvidia to go **** themselves, oh yeah becuase they are not open source.

Old
  (#10)
Chillin
Ancient Guru

Default 02-15-2013, 11:23 | posts: 6,432 | Location: Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearsjohn View Post
I have the lg g2x which still does not have ics on it because of driver source code issues from nvidia as well as lg. if they would have released source code i would not be pissed and i could have a working ****ing rom on my phone. there is no reason that a tegra 2 in a phone cannot run it.
and you are an idiot if you think they have the best developer support. why do you think linius the father of liniux told nvidia to go **** themselves, oh yeah becuase they are not open source.
And since when did "open source" have anything to do with superior quality code?

And there sounds like there are other issues than just Nvidia in your ROM problem. My Transformer TF101 with Tegra 2 runs ICS very nicely indeed.

Old
  (#11)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Default 02-15-2013, 13:35 | posts: 7,123 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
And since when did "open source" have anything to do with superior quality code?

And there sounds like there are other issues than just Nvidia in your ROM problem. My Transformer TF101 with Tegra 2 runs ICS very nicely indeed.
Where did he say anything about superior quality code? Why do you keep adding words to what we are saying?

Because Nvidia's driver source is closed 3rd party developers can't get the ION and other media drivers to work along with a whole bunch of other issues. Which means they can't port the devices to ICS when the manufacturer/operator decides to drop support.

It's the same crap on the desktop as well. Nvidia's linux support is garbage and their drivers are closed source so the community has to reverse engineer everything to get most configurations to work. Now Nvidia may have a very good reason for keeping their drivers closed, but in the mean time multiple devices have terrible support, some configurations are flat out broken and as a customer I actively avoid their products when its going to effect me.