Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

NZXT Phantom 630 tested and reviewed
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default NZXT Phantom 630 tested and reviewed - 02-14-2013, 08:41 | posts: 21,561 | Location: Guru3D testlab

The NZXT Phantom 630 Full tower PC chassis gets tested. Definitely gorgeous in many ways as the design is prolonging what we have seen in the past year or two when NZXT released their first phantom ch...

NZXT Phantom 630 tested and reviewed

Old
  (#2)
TheSarge
Master Guru

Videocard: nVidia GTX 860M 4GB
Processor: Core i7-4700HQ
Mainboard: MSI MS-1759
Memory: Kingston DDR3-1600 12GB
Soundcard: Realtec onboard
PSU: Laptop brick
Default 02-16-2013, 20:43 | posts: 707 | Location: The Frozen North.

I like some of the features of this, but others I don't. The cable routing is good, the SSD trays are innovative, the accommodation for super-large mobos is great.

The rest has been done, and done better, by others. Examples:

1) The fan/rad mounting space could have been taller to give more space for push-pull style fans on the rads. Yes that would have made the case a bit taller, but that would just have meant more space for the drive bays.

2) The top vent grill is just stupid. Why have two different sized meshes in one area, separated diagonally? Aesthetics over functionality, form over function? Do not want.

3) The lower-front bezel is more of the same. The top-left part of it is solid? Why? Gee, lets block some airflow for the sake of aesthetics, that'll work... NOT!

4) I have never liked top-mounted USB ports. Ever. Put them on the front of the case, not the top, or it's no sale.

5) Having a door over the front of the case is pointless. It's another case of form over function, which I have never agreed with. What's the point of having to open a door just to access your ODDs? What, the drive tray wasn't enough of a door for you, you needed a door inside a door so you could open a door to get to your door? Give me a break.

6) The left-hand door has a mesh cut out that is a trapezoid. Yuck, form over function again. Not very appealing. What's worse, you can only mount one fan there, and just one size of fan.

7) Plastic feet, and no way to mount castors? For a case this size? No way, bud. I am NOT picking up something this size every time I want to move it. It will be way to heavy.

In short, this case is trying to appeal to enthusiasts like me, but it's not good enough for me. I demand better for my case, thank you.

Old
  (#3)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Go!
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 02-16-2013, 20:58 | posts: 16,766 | Location: US East Coast

Most cases are "form over function" these days... Why else would you put harddrive bays directly behind an intake fan where airflow is completely blocked?